Quality of the Clarksburg Exponent-Te...

Quality of the Clarksburg Exponent-Telegram

Posted in the Clarksburg Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Rich

AOL

#1 Oct 23, 2010
Am I alone in this, or does anyone else feel that the Clarksburg newspaper isn't always a worthy source of local news. There seems to be little investigative reporting, and their willingness to present letters from readers is nearly non-existant. You see one or two each month, while other newspapers print several per day sometimes. I also feel that their online site is archaic and very difficult to navigate. It disallows local subscribers any access.
Overall, I feel that they are out of touch with the readers and with the technology today.
Anyone agree or feel differently??
a voice

United States

#2 Oct 23, 2010
I completely agree. Most of the letters submitted are never printed. Most papers will print at least a half page of letters. The writers are mediocre at best and the chances of getting the Exponent to cover any event are slim and none. Apparently they would like their readers to think that no one thinks here and that nothing happens except city council news and reprinted AP stories. Sad.
David

Advance, NC

#3 Oct 23, 2010
I get the Bridgeport News and they also print very few letters to the editor. One way around not getting your letter printed would be to take out an ad in the back with a link to a web page.
wsof84

Clarksburg, WV

#4 Oct 26, 2010
Back when Ed Sweeney was the editor, the syndicated columnists were divided evenly between conservative and liberals. The editors today don't even hide their bias because the conservative columnists out number the liberal columnists 5 to 1. Even when they publish a liberal columnist like Amy Goodman you can almost count on it being critical of democrats.

There local reporting leaves a lot to be desired. After attending a local community meeting, and reading about it the next day I've often wondered if they were even there.

Most people I know have given up ever writing a letter to the editor. The community's voice isn't heard in this newspaper. Freedom of speech is only for those who own the media.

wsof84

Clarksburg, WV

#5 Oct 26, 2010
oops...their

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#6 Oct 27, 2010
The news paper is a dieing form of media. If you compare Clarksburg's paper to some others in WV it is still pretty good, but for my generation it is old news by the time it hits your doorstep.

Since: Jul 10

United States

#7 Oct 27, 2010
The Exponent-Telegram website is also woefully outdated. The Charleston Gazette site puts it to shame. The single most common comment in my household is along the lines of, "That was a waste of time and paper. We should drop it". Even the Grafton Statesman will print any letter it gets, because they are so hard up for filler. The Ex-Tel seems to print mainly testimonials and thank-yous. I also feel that printing an ad attached to the Sunday comics is an abomination, and will not ever patronize that business.
HMH

Charleston, WV

#8 Oct 29, 2010
Yes. Even their crossword puzzle is a day behind the puzzle included in newspapers from surrounding areas.
nodoubt

Fairmont, WV

#9 Nov 4, 2010
I love when they run an article about a subject and don't disclose all of the relevant facts. They're pretty biased, IMO.
NewOrder

Terre Haute, IN

#10 Dec 26, 2010
Hmmm, after posting something recently about the lack of news regarding the Exp Tel I ran across this thread. Seems I'm not the only one upset with what once was a damn fine newspaper. Over the weekend I decided to do a little digging to try and find out why the paper has become so bad. One common name cropped up again and again. Seems that people have quit not because they wanted to but because of the way they were treated-Like they were ignorant, etc. Any new ideas are frowned upon by, as one former reporter called them, "The King And His Court". And as far as any credibility goes, I also found out that one reason the Sports Department is so bad involves nepotism at its finest. It is a shame that a person has to read a Charleston paper for local news.
1 post removed
Evil Twin

Bridgeport, WV

#12 Dec 27, 2010
I think this actually says more about Harrison County than the Exponent Telegram. They buy some boring articles off of the wires, throw in some local boring articles to fill the empty spaces and call it a day. Everyone I know only buys it for Court Round Up and the comix. It's just a boring pointless paper that is oddly still in business. The Evening Sun with it's brilliant editorial staff and award winning writing went down, even with a readership equal to the population of WV. Maybe what it needed was a Court Round Up.
Good Twin

Bridgeport, WV

#13 Dec 27, 2010
In the unbalanced and out of balance relationship I endure with Evil Twin, I do occasionally manage to get a word in. Why do I read the Exponent Tel? I like Julie Perrine. I'll concede that she's probably never going to take home a Pulitzer but her writing is always so genuine and innocent and sweet and sincere. It's always about family and honoring and goodness. I left out the commas for emphasis.
I've had the pleasure of meeting her on several occasions and I wan't to let everyone know that she is all that. It's for real. It's genuine.
Californication

Terre Haute, IN

#14 Dec 28, 2010
Good Twin wrote:
In the unbalanced and out of balance relationship I endure with Evil Twin, I do occasionally manage to get a word in. Why do I read the Exponent Tel? I like Julie Perrine. I'll concede that she's probably never going to take home a Pulitzer but her writing is always so genuine and innocent and sweet and sincere. It's always about family and honoring and goodness. I left out the commas for emphasis.
I've had the pleasure of meeting her on several occasions and I wan't to let everyone know that she is all that. It's for real. It's genuine.
'Ya know...I was just about to give up on this thread Good Twin. But seriously? As near as I can tell the only thing correct in your post is the statement "...she's probably never going to take home a Pulitzer." I guess if a person likes to have her fringe religious beliefs shoved down their throat every chance she gets then you must be in love. Not only that but her propensity to write about kids dying of cancer, whatever weekend or longer "vacation" her and her family take (on the company dime no doubt)and her skewed perception of reality makes one want to upchuck in their morning cereal. Her writing is better suited to a "Church Bulletin". A newspaper is supposed to be objective. She is anything but that. And for the life of me I can't figure out why any credible editor would allow some of the things she has written to go to print. She is just one of the many reasons I dropped my subscription.
Good Twin

Bridgeport, WV

#15 Dec 31, 2010
As you should if you feel that way. Her column is in rotation at the extel. FYI, she doesn't take vacation on the company dime and writing about those in need of Prayer and her coverage of what's
Christian is what she does. If that offends you, try something else.
1 post removed
BettyBoop

Terre Haute, IN

#17 Jan 3, 2011
yupyepyip wrote:
How dare you mention quality in the same line as that horrid toilet paper.
LOL-Well said....For a newspaper that touts itself as "My Life, My Home, My Newspaper" I'm not quite sure who's life or home they are referring to. Certainly not mine....
hadenough

Fairmont, WV

#18 Jan 6, 2011
Good Twin wrote:
As you should if you feel that way. Her column is in rotation at the extel. FYI, she doesn't take vacation on the company dime and writing about those in need of Prayer and her coverage of what's
Christian is what she does. If that offends you, try something else.
It may be 'what she does' but that isnt what she is supposed to do!
The previous lifestyle editor wrote unbiased un religious swollen columns. News papers are not supposed to be a place for religious propeganda, and never taken a vaction on company dime? ARE YOU SERIOUS? Where do you get your information because it is incorrect.

That place is so rediculous. Julie goes to the same church as the 'King' and that is likely why she got the job in the first place, right along with several other overpaid staff and in the meantime people who have been there for over 20 years havent gotten cost of living wages and are paid less than newbies.

Its a little communist community!

Want my opinion? I bet you are Julie, no one can stroke you better than yourself!
BettyBoop

Terre Haute, IN

#19 Jan 10, 2011
Just some background. Don't kill the messenger :)..The original link can be found at http://www.wvablue.com/diary/5825/state-sen-m...

Clarksburg Exponent = RIGHT WING (0.00 / 0)
As soon as Obama was elected, John Miller (aka Reverend Miller) began plastering the front page with any and all bad news that he could muster. He even took good things and put a bad spin on them. When recent reports showed the economy improving, he wrote an editorial stating that this was cyclical and had nothing to do with any of Obama's policies. Not only does the Reverend Miller use his newspaper for a bully pulpit, but he also gets to act as judge and jury as to which editorials get into the newspaper. Guess what happens if he doesn't agree with you? You got it. Therefore, anyone wanting to write an editorial to defend Mollohan would be wasting his time.
by: sl26 @ Sat May 15, 2010 at 01:17:37 AM CDT
[ Parent ]
by: you @ soon

Clarksburg Exponent Telegram (4.00 / 1)
Now this is one of the culprits. The EP is the worst local newspaper I have ever read, and I am the kind of guy who reads local papers on my travels. They hate Clarksburg and the only thing controversial they will write about is the sniping at Clarkburg City Council meetings. Really productive and community supporting stuff -NOT!!
It has a horrible anti Clarkburg bias. It promotes all things Jim Christie (Bridgeport Mayor) and Dave Cutlip (Executive Director of the Harrison County Economic Development Authority -$ 2million/year budget). We have had to read about their Comvest bankruptcy in the Charleston Daily Mail. Comvest has helped underwrite every municipal/county bond deal within 1000 miles. Meanwhile, we will have to wait for the IRS to do their thing, which will take a while.
How ironic that young journalist Billy Wolfe was writing for the EP before he went to the Daily Mail last year. Billy, how does it feel to actually be a journalist now??
People around Clarksburg are really getting fed up with the EP. Just shows how much money a newspaper makes even when it totally sucks.
The huge irony is that apparently the EP does not understand how pivotal it could be in a resurrection of downtown Clarksburg if it wanted to go in that dierection. They could be heros.
GoodTwin

Bridgeport, WV

#20 Jan 15, 2011
To bettypoof and hadenuf. If you don't like the paper, don't buy it and then shut up.
BettyBoop

Terre Haute, IN

#21 Jan 18, 2011
GoodTwin wrote:
To bettypoof and hadenuf. If you don't like the paper, don't buy it and then shut up.
Looks like someone struck a nerve "Julie". "Shut up" would be the appropriate "Christian" response. Especially from someone with the journalistic talents of a grade school blogger...ROFLMAO!
NewOrder

Terre Haute, IN

#22 Jan 24, 2011
Seems this problem has been around for some time
http://gundovald.blogspot.com/2006/03/will-cl...
Honestly, the rag is not worth discussing. The sad part is that it is a propaganda outlet for the Managing Editor and his group of lemmings, who evidently answer to no one.I knew Cecil. B. Highland and can say with some certainty that he is rolling over in his grave. He never did trust the ME (then Sports Editor) and would have fired him by now. As far as the anonymous "Julie"-She would never have been hired. Barbara Highland is still living and on the Board of Directors as is Becky Jarvis. I'm amazed that they allow this debacle to continue.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clarksburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Clarksburg Roads 37 min Need balljoints 3
Ron Watson sheriff? 2 hr Fittro 39
Donald Trump Will Visit West Virginia 5 hr Inquiring mind 13
Election night with the Dyke 9 hr casual observer 6
Prince 17 hr PayupSucka 5
Fat Child Predator 21 hr Cindy 13
Brandon Lopez Sun PayupSucka 12
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Clarksburg Mortgages