Tomato grower to halt production because of labor shortage -- E...

Full story: The Morning Call

Saying the nation's immigration system is broken, Pennsylvania 's largest grower of fresh-to-market tomatoes announced Monday he will no longer produce the crop because he can't find enough workers to harvest ...
Comments
61 - 75 of 75 Comments Last updated Mar 30, 2008
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
2nd amendment

Asbury, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2008

Tarnished Sheba wrote:
$16.59 plus free healthcare... Not bad! Some people don't even make that much and have to pay $300 for health insurance plus a large deductable....
Being that it's seasonal I'm suprised the highschool kids don't snatch up those jobs. I would have been thrilled to make that kind of money.

I just find it hard to beleive they cannot find enough workers at that wage and bennies too.
SRS

Macungie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2008

boring!!!! trying to do current events for school!!!

SGD

Since: Nov 07

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

2nd amendment wrote:
<quoted text>
Being that it's seasonal I'm suprised the highschool kids don't snatch up those jobs. I would have been thrilled to make that kind of money.
I just find it hard to beleive they cannot find enough workers at that wage and bennies too.
That's the thing, he doesn't really pay those wages and everyone there knows it. If he did, he'd have every high school boy looking for extra money knocking on his door. If he paid even $50/day for the 12-14 hours of labor I'd be surprised.
Craige

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

eckel have a website ??
And contact numbers plz...

I really wanna be a tomato picker (temporarily)!

“Here's looking at ya!”

Since: Jul 07

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

fat eddie wrote:
<quoted text>When I was ten, eleven and twelve years old I picked tomatoes at the neighbors farm for 4 bucks an hour ... We do not need to import labor to do this job...
We pay welfare people, make them work for their money.

“Here's looking at ya!”

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

2nd amendment wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea.. that's not bad money!

SGD

Since: Nov 07

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

Judged:

Tarnished Sheba wrote:
<quoted text>
We pay welfare people, make them work for their money.
A lot of people on welfare and other assistance programs do work. They go on these assistance programs just so they can survive. If illegal aliens didn't drive wages down so much, a lot of these people on welfare could get jobs that paid higher than $7/hour and work themselves off the assistance programs.

“Here's looking at ya!”

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2008

SGD wrote:
<quoted text>
A lot of people on welfare and other assistance programs do work. They go on these assistance programs just so they can survive. If illegal aliens didn't drive wages down so much, a lot of these people on welfare could get jobs that paid higher than $7/hour and work themselves off the assistance programs.
You are right. But don't forget a lot of good paying manufatured jobs are going overseas, that also hurts.
why don't the governmene drug test them, if they get caught, no welfare..

I am subject to random drug testing at my place of employment... 1st time rehab, the 2nd fired.... 3 people already have been fired.

“Crusader and Rags 4 ever !”

Since: Dec 07

Lukeapoo Junction

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2008

Andrew wrote:
oh well, I grow my own anyway
Yep, we do too. You can grow better varieties, with more flavor. Tomatoes are about the simplest thing to grow.

“rockin pandas”

Since: Mar 07

Whitehall

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2008

Pot is pretty easy to grow too
Ragland T Tiger wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, we do too. You can grow better varieties, with more flavor. Tomatoes are about the simplest thing to grow.

“Crusader and Rags 4 ever !”

Since: Dec 07

Lukeapoo Junction

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2008

fatboy2 wrote:
Pot is pretty easy to grow too
<quoted text>
And you don't have to pay the pickers....

“Here's looking at ya!”

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2008

Ragland T Tiger wrote:
<quoted text>
And you don't have to pay the pickers....
The pickers will just come running to the farm!!!
coin this saddened

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2008

Eckle is one Greedy Grower of Produce. Notice I didn't refer to him as a Farmer. No Government subsidies, no cheap labor, no crop. Now I know he's not a Pennsylvania Dutch Farmer.
A Pennsylvania Dutch Farmer, for one is much more resourceful. And foremost a Pennsylvania Dutch Farmer, has to much pride and self respect to air a story like this.......
Dennis

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2008

Fifteen million illegals in this country and we are now paying for a fence to keep them here so where are they. Agriculture and many farmers are to fat because of free labor. People here cannot afford food grown here because of the greed by farmers who now are instant millionaires while three hundred billion dollars is on the way to farmers to poison are food supply grown localy. Home owners need laws reversed so they can raise cows ,pigs, and chickens that would again be eatable and water would be clean. You people here in Pa. [ Where its not a Wanderfull Place to Live and Work ] better remember that the last three governors destroyed our environment and our Attorney General currently is helping Agriculture make Downer People out of us and not vote for a forth Governor. Agriculture the downfall of America. The FFA which I once belonged should be abolished and the State Farm Show should be shut down. Agriculture discrased America.

“Here's looking at ya!”

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2008

Yea, the farmers are haveing problems with the city folks living next door because of the smell of the cow s h i t and flys.... It will never happen....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Clarks Summit Discussions

Search the Clarks Summit Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 6 hr Big Daddy 3,812
Highway Construction Workers Nervous About High... 9 hr freaklander 1
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) Wed More Settled Science 51,184
Laceyville officer reinstated, on probation Jul 3 A Gun Shop Owner 1
January 18th abduction Apr '14 JWA 1
Terrace Garden Cafe Mar '14 Greg Danson 2
I Hate Gin's Tavern (Feb '09) Mar '14 Anonymous 21
•••
•••
•••
•••

Clarks Summit Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••