No tomatoes: Migrant worker shortage ...

No tomatoes: Migrant worker shortage hurts Pa. farm

There are 37 comments on the Evening Sun story from Mar 25, 2008, titled No tomatoes: Migrant worker shortage hurts Pa. farm. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

Saying the nation's immigration system is broken, Pennsylvania's largest grower of fresh-to-market tomatoes announced Monday he will no longer produce the crop because he can't find enough workers to harvest ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Kilroy

Florence, SC

#21 Mar 25, 2008
You are completely out of touch with reality. How many homes such as Mom has described do you suppose have been maintained to such a level that they have a positive effect on property values. I understand that you, as a Licensed Socialist don't have an appreciation of the concept of private property and the degree to which many middle class people attempt to leverage that property in order to provide for their retirements. A home, to many, is their savings account. They build wealth through equity. Turning their neighborhoods into slums is something they frown on. That has nothing to do with race but rather the transitory nature of a large illegal immigrant population. For such a population, housing means a quite different thing and is not viewed as a long term investment and something to improve and protect.
mommy259

Johnstown, OH

#22 Mar 25, 2008
i seem to remember the stories that my grams told me how years ago 3 and four generations of family would live in the same house. how is that wrong? and who are we to say that they are not allowed to do so. if they keep their propert maintained and clean how will it affect your property value?
also i am american but my husband has a spanish name, and we are always getting calls from the insurance and even their school and they assume that they speak spanish, we dont. too many people assume that just because you have a spanish name or you are spanish you are illegal. to me yes that is racism in a way!!what else would you call it.
Annoyed

Carlisle, PA

#23 Mar 25, 2008
Kilroy wrote:
You are completely out of touch with reality. How many homes such as Mom has described do you suppose have been maintained to such a level that they have a positive effect on property values. I understand that you, as a Licensed Socialist don't have an appreciation of the concept of private property and the degree to which many middle class people attempt to leverage that property in order to provide for their retirements. A home, to many, is their savings account. They build wealth through equity. Turning their neighborhoods into slums is something they frown on. That has nothing to do with race but rather the transitory nature of a large illegal immigrant population. For such a population, housing means a quite different thing and is not viewed as a long term investment and something to improve and protect.
That fact that I disagree does not mean I am out of touch. First of all, if they are illegals than more than likely they are renting the house because they can't buy..... So then it would be the landolords responsibility to mantain the home and if it's the occupants destroying it then kick them out!!!! I have in fact seen Beautiful homes that have at least 8-10 occupants in them. Now on another note, if you live in a community of nice looking homes, there are probably few homes that are for rent for the mere fact that various people would have to buy them and then rent them out, and that doesn't happen in a residential community. Now those people that buy houses have to be legal and if they are going to the trouble of buying a home and moving into your community, what makes you think that they do not think like you in the maintance of thier home.
Annoyed

Carlisle, PA

#24 Mar 25, 2008
mommy259 wrote:
i seem to remember the stories that my grams told me how years ago 3 and four generations of family would live in the same house. how is that wrong? and who are we to say that they are not allowed to do so. if they keep their propert maintained and clean how will it affect your property value?
also i am american but my husband has a spanish name, and we are always getting calls from the insurance and even their school and they assume that they speak spanish, we dont. too many people assume that just because you have a spanish name or you are spanish you are illegal. to me yes that is racism in a way!!what else would you call it.
I agree with you 100%. Just because some view things diffrently does not mean they are wrong!!
neighbor

United States

#25 Mar 25, 2008
I love this debate. We live in a great country with various cultures that make up what America is today. In the history of America, immigrants, both legal as well as the undocumented have contributed to what our country is today. I came from a different country and I am here for the same reason many of the immigrants are, to have a better and to provide for our families. I am not going to dispute that some immigrants are of the criminal nature, but criminals are what they are because the opportunities to crime present themselves. Many citizens are of the criminal nature but they can't be deported because they were born here, immigrants would have to be deported. The thing that I don't like about some of my neighbors is that they tend to vilify some of my fellow immigrants as criminals because they crossed the border, will if that is the case then most of us would be criminals as well since we cheat on our taxes, break the speed limit, drink under age, have sex with underage children, etc etc. We are suppose to be Christian nation yet we fail to act from what Christ taught us, that is to be compassionate and caring to our neighbors no matter what is the color of their skin or how they talk or what their immigration status is. Thank you for your time. Amigos
JWB

Chambersburg, PA

#26 Mar 25, 2008
It's heartening to see that more people than I thought see through the legal and illegal migrant worker programs which people like Mr. Eckel have so exploited and benefited from over the many years.
Dave

Palm Springs, CA

#27 Mar 25, 2008
Pennsylvania's largest grower of fresh-to-market tomatoes says he will no longer produce the crop due to the lack of a reliable immigrant farm worker program.

Our prisons and jails are full of low-risk male and female inmates, who have been incarcerated for non-violent crimes. It is my belief that to break free from sitting in a cell, for a good part of the day would welcome their chance to breath the open air. The money normally paid to mostly illegal immigrants for harvesting the crops, would go a long way to feeding the jailed inmates family, who themselves might be living on government welfare. Farmers also get large tax incentives for buying farming equipment, so they should introduce the last innovations in new generation crop picking machines.

This is obviously being well played by the pro-illegal immigrant factions, hoping the national publicity will ultimately change the majority of public opinion regarding the illegal alien invasion.

An example of the huge budget meltdown for supporting illegal aliens in California is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg, quoting from a Los Angeles newspaper. The growing connection between the wilting economy and illegal immigration is irrefutable. We only have to look at the massive budget deficit in California to realise the implications around our nation. Quoted as saying.

"Illegal immigration continues to have a devastating impact Los Angeles County taxpayers," Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich said. "With $220 million for public safety,$400 million for health care, and $420 million in welfare allocations, the total cost for illegal immigrants to county taxpayers far exceeds $1 billion a year - not including the millions of dollars for education."

Such budget expenditures would better be used to equip small farmers with new harvesting machines.

I dare say La Raza, Mecha, US Chamber of Commerce and other special interest groups, will have plenty to say about article. We should all be aware that this is the agenda of the globalist open-border, free trade elites, who demands the free movement of cheap labor throughout the North American Continent.
Bundy

Harrisburg, PA

#28 Mar 28, 2008
I bet Annoyed will be the first to cry foul when her school taxes go up to support all the illegal students flooding our public school system.
When is the last time you filled out a job application? You at least need a high school diploma, SS# and birth certificate.
What part of illegal is so hard to understand?
This tomato farmer will retire a millionaire on the sweat of illegals and we're supposed to feel sorry for him?
He doesn't want legal workers as he would have to pay out benefits, workman's comp, etc. This would add up to over $30 per hour per worker, instead of the $16 per hour I seriously doubt he's paying them.
The answer is simple. Get our prison system to supply the manpower. The tomatos get picked and the prisoners wages can go for their room and board to the prisons.
Our ancestors became legal US citizens why can't these moochers?
Tickedoffchick

Meriden, CT

#29 Mar 28, 2008
Annoyed wrote:
There are some points I want to clear to all those above.... 1st, the illegals are not the main reason our economy is being depleated. Not sure if you are all aware or not but when an illegal immigrant works, they have taxes taken out of thier checks just like anyone else becuase there is that assumption that they are legal. Only diffrence with an illegal is that they can not file income taxes and get anything back, which is okay but then what happens to that money that they pay in? SO not only are your tax dollars being used, so is thiers!!
Second point is that illegals are not the ones depleting our system becuase they are not allowed to recieve any services becuase they are not legal. They can not collect any benefits from Federal programs, like Cash assistance, Food Stamps, or Housing Assistance. We have to blame our own for that, not the illigals...
I don't know what planet you're living on, but you should research government statistics that verify 60% of illegal aliens work for CASH, under the table. That means they DO NOT have taxes taken out. The majority of those who do are using FALSE or FRAUDULENT Social security #'s. All illegals who work minimal paying jobs and have taxes taken out, end up getting earned income credit for their LARGE families, they can't support. If an illegal alien has a child, in the U.S., that child is a U.S. citizen and the family gets foodstamps, housing assistance, emergency cash assistance, etc, through the child. The more children they have here, the more money they get. Many states medicaid funds are depleted by illegal aliens giving birth, alone. If you want to know the truth, a good example is California. You're argument is old and false. Federal law may say illegals can't get aid, but they do. It's the LEGAL immigrants who can't get aid. There is a hospital in Dallas, that has been in the news. They are overwhelmed with free births to illegals. They finally want to start charging a $100 fee. The illegals said, right in the article, they won't pay it. Get educated and get a clue.
Tickedoffchick

Meriden, CT

#30 Mar 28, 2008
I saw a story about this farmer, on the news, yesterday. He is switching to corn and mechanizing. He's not out anything. Cheap a*s that he is, he's probably just grumbling because he has to shell out some money to mechanize. By the looks of him, he should start doing some of the work, himself. He could use the exercise to take off about 50 pounds.
Tickedoffchick

Meriden, CT

#31 Mar 28, 2008
Annoyed wrote:
<quoted text>
For one, decreased property value is based on the value on houses around a house,and thier condition not on how many people live in them.
As to mom's response..... In a way yes, I do live in this, not physically but through employment. I am a Liscensed Social Worker and see what is behind the scenes not just the cover. So yes, I am with the American Program, you should also join it sometime from behind the scenes!!!!
What is a social worker doing PROVIDING SERVICES to illegal aliens, aka FOREIGN NATIONALS who have NO right to be here, because they couldn't be bothered going through the proper channels to get here? I've seen it, too, and I've seen how many FOREIGN NATIONALS have 3,4, 5, 6 different I.D.'s.
I've seen how many of the men who come, alone, say, "I don't care about the U.S. I 'm not paying taxes. I work for 6 months in one state, then go to another and chang my I.D. I'm just here for the money. If you ARE a social worker, you SHOULD be helping the huge number of poor American CITIZENS in PA. That's what you're SUPPOSED to be doing, since TAXPAYERS pay your salary. If you
can't, then you should relocate to Mexico or Central America where you can REALLY help these poor people.
Tickedoffchick

Meriden, CT

#32 Mar 28, 2008
Annoyed wrote:
<quoted text>
So tell me what benefits you all are talking about? As for 15 poeple living in a houshold, how does that effect you? Are they coming to your house to say that they care to live with you? Learn the real reason people live togther, it's called family values and tradition. What you see as normal, does not mean the whole world see's it that way.
It's NOT called family values and tradition. It's called stuffing as many illegals into one house as possible and SAYING they're your relatives, while you all split the rent. Incidentally, if a house near, or, beside YOUR house is overcrowded, and there are cars all over the yard and the place is not kept up, it DOES affect your property values.
Tickedoffchick

Meriden, CT

#33 Mar 28, 2008
Annoyed,
One more thing. If you think people commit crimes just because the situation presents itself, you have obviously had no moral training.
Have you ever heeard of "rapto"? Research it. It's also a tradition in Mexico, as is kidnapping, bribery, and wife beating. But, PLEASE research rapto. They think it's romantic in some parts of Mexico.
Joe Shepherd

Rock Island, IL

#35 Mar 31, 2008
I went to college with Americans who did farm work. Why don't I see any ads in the papers or on the internet for farm labor? All over the country I do not see ads for farm labor. Obviously the farmers are lying. They don't even try to get Americans. They want subservient desperate foreigners. The staff at your paper should try to put out an ad and see the responses you get to see if this rich farmer is telling the truth.
property value

Salt Lake City, UT

#36 Mar 31, 2008
property value is influenced by the people living in the house take it from me i am a real estate agent. good people simply don't want to live next to homes where families of 20 live and generally use there property as a junkyard/meeting spot.

i have seen the price of housing drop very sharply in one area locally due to overpopulization , mostly latino 80/20 i don't mean to sound racist but when large groups of latinos live together at least in this area they tend to be poor and there properties reflect that. not to mention the sheer number of gangs and violence which also affects property value, you could have a billion doller estate but if it were in compton you wouldnt get near what its worth in the hills of beverly.

FACT
NightOwl

Charlottesville, VA

#37 Mar 31, 2008
Dave wrote:
Pennsylvania's largest grower of fresh-to-market tomatoes says he will no longer produce the crop due to the lack of a reliable immigrant farm worker program.
Our prisons and jails are full of low-risk male and female inmates, who have been incarcerated for non-violent crimes. It is my belief that to break free from sitting in a cell, for a good part of the day would welcome their chance to breath the open air. The money normally paid to mostly illegal immigrants for harvesting the crops, would go a long way to feeding the jailed inmates family, who themselves might be living on government welfare. Farmers also get large tax incentives for buying farming equipment, so they should introduce the last innovations in new generation crop picking machines.
This is obviously being well played by the pro-illegal immigrant factions, hoping the national publicity will ultimately change the majority of public opinion regarding the illegal alien invasion.
An example of the huge budget meltdown for supporting illegal aliens in California is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg, quoting from a Los Angeles newspaper. The growing connection between the wilting economy and illegal immigration is irrefutable. We only have to look at the massive budget deficit in California to realise the implications around our nation. Quoted as saying.
"Illegal immigration continues to have a devastating impact Los Angeles County taxpayers," Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich said. "With $220 million for public safety,$400 million for health care, and $420 million in welfare allocations, the total cost for illegal immigrants to county taxpayers far exceeds $1 billion a year - not including the millions of dollars for education."
Such budget expenditures would better be used to equip small farmers with new harvesting machines.
I dare say La Raza, Mecha, US Chamber of Commerce and other special interest groups, will have plenty to say about article. We should all be aware that this is the agenda of the globalist open-border, free trade elites, who demands the free movement of cheap labor throughout the North American Continent.
Agreed.
FREE MIKE METTE

Redwood Estates, CA

#38 Mar 31, 2008
http://www.petitiononline.com/m1977m/petition ...

Please help free Mike Mette a young decent upstanding Chicago Police Officer unjustly imprisoned in Iowa for defending himself from a drunk kid who assaulted Mike. Mike tried to walk away but the kid came back and attacked him repeatedly. Mike just as easily could have ended up worse off than now sitting in an Iowa prison for having finally defended himself with just one punch.

His attacker was not even charged. His attacker has since been convicted of drunk driving in a separate incident post attacking Mike- a true representation of the attacker's lack of backbone and lack of parenting.

PLEASE HELP FREE MIKE METTE!!!!!

http://www.petitiononline.com/m1977m/petition ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clarks Summit Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Local income disparity widens Jan 12 fine by me 5
News Marc Dickstein, Mark Dato Dec '17 TerriB1 1
News I've been fired (Jul '06) Nov '17 Elbert Wilby 93
I Hate Gin's Tavern (Feb '09) Sep '17 Steven Averys Sli... 27
News Highway Construction Workers Nervous About High... (Jul '14) May '17 Al Busillo 4
News Why won't IHOP open a restaurant in Wilkes-Barr... (Feb '15) May '17 Hehehehe 10
Dickson Stove (Mar '07) May '17 Rachel 22

Clarks Summit Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Clarks Summit Mortgages