Major grower ends crop due to lack of...

Major grower ends crop due to lack of workers

There are 184 comments on the www.sanluisobispo.com story from Mar 24, 2008, titled Major grower ends crop due to lack of workers. In it, www.sanluisobispo.com reports that:

Saying the nation's immigration system is broken, Pennsylvania's largest grower of fresh-to-market tomatoes announced Monday he will no longer produce the crop because he can't find enough workers to harvest ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.sanluisobispo.com.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Dan

Flora, IN

#203 Apr 3, 2008
Monchis wrote:
OK, all you xenophobes, be prepared to pay higher wages to legal us citizens to pick your crops and also good luck finding workers willing to work in the fields! I'm willing to do it, but not for no 5.00 dollars a day! I'll want at least 20.00 dollars an hour!! Are ready to start paying higher prices for tomatoes grapes, lettuce, onions, and so on, and so on, and so on.......... When that happens, shut your pie holes and don't dare to complain, because you asked for it!
When a group of self centerd greedy individuals use therms meaningless terms like xeonophobia they use these terms to convince others that we need to give up the autonomy of our country they use these terms to convince the world that the USA does not have a right to monitor those coming and going from our country. You have to scratch your head in amazement that they only use these terms on our great country some how they have forgotton China, India, Iran and other countries who would execute them on the spot mearly for spouting these goofy words.
I will pay what it takes to have my fellow Americans do the job. I know it will be done right and they will pay thier fair share of taxes. I know the will the have health care of which my tax dollars will not pay for. I also know that the money they earn will stay here in this country to support our country and our freedom. I also know that the profits from the cheap labor illegals provide is kept by the greedy individuals who hire them and are not passed on too the consumer. So take your cheep labor back to you home land and while you are there you will see exactly why we stand up for our workers unlike your homeland who will allow them to starve.

“Try Reuters.”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#205 Apr 3, 2008
educator II wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's look at this: I would consider the possibility of an illegal immigrant from the 70's or 80's achieving good standing or being on welfare for 35 years to be at the very worst equal, yet...
4 word on the possibility of Mexicans doing something good.
81 words on the possibility of Mexicans doing something bad.
Skewed some?
This debate focuses on illegal immigrants. They come from 36 countries around the world. They come with nothing and are needy.

[EXCERPT]:
Households headed by illegal aliens imposed more than $26.3 billion in costs on the federal government in 2002 and paid only $16 billion in taxes, creating a net fiscal deficit of almost $10.4 billion, or $2,700 per illegal household.

Among the largest costs are Medicaid ($2.5 billion); treatment for the uninsured ($2.2 billion); food assistance programs such as food stamps, WIC, and free school lunches ($1.9 billion); the federal prison and court systems ($1.6 billion); and federal aid to schools ($1.4 billion).

With nearly two-thirds of illegal aliens lacking a high school degree, the primary reason they create a fiscal deficit is their low education levels and resulting low incomes and tax payments, not their legal status or heavy use of most social services.

On average, the costs that illegal households impose on federal coffers are less than half that of other households, but their tax payments are only one-fourth that of other households.

Based on Census Bureau data, this study finds that, when all taxes paid (direct and indirect) and all costs are considered, illegal households created a net fiscal deficit at the federal level of more than $10 billion in 2002. We also estimate that, if there was an amnesty for illegal aliens, the net fiscal deficit would grow to nearly $29 billion.
[END EXCERPT]

http://www.cis.org/articles/2004/fiscalexec.h...
Send the unemployed

Maynard, MA

#206 Apr 3, 2008
Why not have the welfare, unemployed and others who are on the taypayer payroll work there. This should be part of collecting government benefits an dhelp offset burden on taxpayers..

“Reduce immigration levels”

Since: Dec 06

Kings Mountain, NC

#208 Apr 7, 2008
A ray of hope. We have a "anti illegal candidate" possibly running.
http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp...

Why are schools are so bad
http://www.newswithviews.com/Wooldridge/frost...

Border fence myth
http://www.firesociety.com/blog/107/23499/Mor...

Immigration crisis
http://www.newswithviews.com/Wooldridge/frost...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clarks Summit Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I Hate Gin's Tavern (Feb '09) Jun 25 Hello 23
Help my chinchilla Jun 7 Dessyrenea95 1
News Local teacher heading to NYC after nomination f... May '15 FRANCINE 1
A new form of transportation for this area. Mar '15 William 1
News Why won't IHOP open a restaurant in Wilkes-Barr... Feb '15 Polak Power 1
N/A, License: N/A, Created: 2015:01:15 17:41:34 Feb '15 Shamim Rahman 1
Dickson Stove (Mar '07) Jan '15 Kate 20
More from around the web

Clarks Summit People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE