Comments
1 - 20 of 216 Comments Last updated Feb 25, 2014
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
going down hill

Hickory, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Nov 8, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

has anyone ate here lately? it used to be great, but customer service is crappy, including management. the waitress, "what are you having today?" how professional is that? when i answered, she said ok, and i never saw her again, it was only the hostess i saw. the short cashier, with glasses, and a bun, gave everyone dirty looks, maybe she was having a bad day. she would turn though, and speak about customers with another short girl, who was a waitress. there were 2 waitresses, for all of those tables. Spells out, TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!
it was dirty. the walls were filthy, dried ketchup was on the counter's edge. dried mustard to our napkin dispencer. the bathrooms were bad also, and this building hasn't been there long.
the quality of food has went down tremendously, and the prices have gone up.
i don't know who to tip, it looks as if i am tipping the waitress for taking my order. as i looked around, the person who seated me (hostess), was getting everyone's drink orders, including mine. brought our food, got our drink refills, and then cleaned tables. the waitress, who was taking orders, was taking the tips.
I tipped the hostesses, because they were definitely doing all of the work. they were both young, and i asked him how much they made. personal question, but i asked. they each made 6.50, i believe i remember correctly. the waitress made 3.50, that is what they said, and waitresses usually leave with a hundred dollars in there pocket. so why is the hostess, making nothing, yet doing all of the work? the hostesses, were also making all desserts, while the waitresses, were pretty much standing around, gossiping. i really hope the owners get it together.
crazy, i hope they get it together, before we lose a long history on springs rd.

Since: Nov 08

Hickory

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Nov 9, 2008
 

Judged:

2

Yes, Shell's BBQ is on the downhill slope. If B and Lisa don't make changes soon they will eventually go out of business. The lunch service is ok but in the evenings it is terrible. And you are right, the place is filthy. The windows are nasty, walls are dirty, all those seams and crevices from it being a modular building are full of crud and look as if they have not been cleaned in months.
Kathryn

Burlington, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Nov 9, 2008
 
ReputoVir wrote:
Yes, Shell's BBQ is on the downhill slope. If B and Lisa don't make changes soon they will eventually go out of business. The lunch service is ok but in the evenings it is terrible. And you are right, the place is filthy. The windows are nasty, walls are dirty, all those seams and crevices from it being a modular building are full of crud and look as if they have not been cleaned in months.
Well, as for the filth - that is no different than it was in the old building. It's a shame to let a nice building and a long standing reputation go down the drain because people are too lazy to clean the place.
MWD

Hickory, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Nov 10, 2008
 

Judged:

1

ReputoVir wrote:
Yes, Shell's BBQ is on the downhill slope. If B and Lisa don't make changes soon they will eventually go out of business. The lunch service is ok but in the evenings it is terrible. And you are right, the place is filthy. The windows are nasty, walls are dirty, all those seams and crevices from it being a modular building are full of crud and look as if they have not been cleaned in months.
yeah um did you see the outside of the building, where the unfinished window is? yuck, green stuff going all the way down the building
shells worker

Hickory, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Nov 10, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

1

i can tell you all first hand, that lisa and bee do put a huge amount of the responsibility on the hostess. the drinks are served by hostess, some food is served by hostess, desserts made by hostess, and refills usually given by hostess.
the reason the place is so dirty....bee stays in the back, and so does lisa when she is there.
they do give the hostesses some clean up responsibilities, but is far too much for just the hostess.
the hostess, who makes little over min wage, and i know this for a fact, works probably harder than anyone there, and hardly any cleaning responsibilities is given to waitresses. it's pretty much when they want to and when they want to. i have been with shells for 9 months, and while i like it much, it isn't the cleanest place.
the ice cream cooler has been cleaned once since i have been there, and literally there is lots of scoops that have fallen in the bottom of it. however, it would be the hostess that had to clean it, if it were cleaned.
my mom worked in the old bldg, and says it was cleaner. lisa called outsiders in, to spray it and everything, it looked dirty because of age.
however, this bldg has not been sprayed since i have worked there. it gets swept and mopped nightly, the tables are wiped and the grill is cleaned. that is about it. when it is time for sanitation, people scurry and clean for a couple weeks.
annonymous

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Nov 25, 2008
 

Judged:

2

2

1

shells worker wrote:
i can tell you all first hand, that lisa and bee do put a huge amount of the responsibility on the hostess. the drinks are served by hostess, some food is served by hostess, desserts made by hostess, and refills usually given by hostess.
the reason the place is so dirty....bee stays in the back, and so does lisa when she is there.
they do give the hostesses some clean up responsibilities, but is far too much for just the hostess.
the hostess, who makes little over min wage, and i know this for a fact, works probably harder than anyone there, and hardly any cleaning responsibilities is given to waitresses. it's pretty much when they want to and when they want to. i have been with shells for 9 months, and while i like it much, it isn't the cleanest place.
the ice cream cooler has been cleaned once since i have been there, and literally there is lots of scoops that have fallen in the bottom of it. however, it would be the hostess that had to clean it, if it were cleaned.
my mom worked in the old bldg, and says it was cleaner. lisa called outsiders in, to spray it and everything, it looked dirty because of age.
however, this bldg has not been sprayed since i have worked there. it gets swept and mopped nightly, the tables are wiped and the grill is cleaned. that is about it. when it is time for sanitation, people scurry and clean for a couple weeks.
Sounds like a disgruntled employee to me :( If you don't like your job, find another one! I work there and I bust my butt to please my customers, trust me I am a waitress that earns her money, I am sorry that some of them are lazy, but you have that everywhere you go. Also, we don't take home hundreds of $ everyday,(I wish). Some days we only make what the hostesses make, and those are the days that they stand around doing nothing getting paid by the hour. I might also add that I don't take breaks, I don't even sit down to eat during the day, and I am lucky to go to the bathroom when I need to. These people posting that the waitresses do nothing obviously don't watch those of us that work hard. Oh and I might add that if you ever worked in the food industry running your butt off for that 1.00 tip you might get and depending on the public to pay your bills you would think twice about bashing waitresses.
shells worker

Hickory, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Nov 26, 2008
 

Judged:

3

3

1

disgruntled employee? no i am just honest, and you know it! i don't think this is a day worker, because we all know that the day waitresses brag about making hundreds. heck, shannon even tells us, when she cashes you guys out!
however, i am currently seeking employment elsewhere. we can all be honest in saying the business is not ran properly or to the best of its ability.
i have been a waitress, so i am not in any way bashing. go to any other restaurant, you will see the hostess seating people. not seating, taking drink orders, bringing drinks, bringing food, refilling, and making desserts! how many restaurants do you see this at?
if you work at shells then if you were being honest with yourself you know it is really nasty!
it isn't cleaned properly, am i wrong or not?
annonymous

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Nov 26, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

go to any other restaurant, you will see the hostess seating people. not seating, taking drink orders, bringing drinks, bringing food, refilling, and making desserts! how many restaurants do you see this at?

First off, this isn't any other restaurant, if you want to hostess at a restaurant like the fancy ones where the waitress only has 4 tables,and the hostess stands around doing nothing, then go get a job there! Quit trying to bash Shells and find another job. Get a life! Why don't you just find another job and move on?? Why run down your current employer? And if the hostesses don't like doing the duties they are given they can quit at any time. I myself have picked up plenty of slack at that place when they called in or didn't want to work.
annonymous

Simpsonville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Nov 26, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Well as another Shell's employee and a hostess I say.. BYE to ya! Hope you find better luck some where else cause you probably don't do half of the "big list of stuff to do" anyway. Thats why it's nasty! DUHHHHHHH...
love the people there

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Nov 26, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

1

I just want to say that I love Shells! The waitresses for lunch are so sweet and always give us good service even when they are really busy and the place is packed. My family loves the bbq :) Keep up the good work!
Jerry

Burlington, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Nov 26, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

Been eating at Shell's all my life and I have to agree that the place is nasty. The old building was kept cleaner. Rarely go there any more because my wife says it is too filthy.
one of 500

Washington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Nov 26, 2008
 
I have been going to Shell's for most of my life! I travel extensively, sometimes not at home for months on end! I have noticed that ever since B began his social interaction with John Boy and Billy a couple of years ago, things "back at the Ranch" seemed to go on the back burner! The children have got some age on them now, plenty of ball games and such!

I believe that B and Lisa are enjoying the fruits of her parent's Labor! They both have taken their "eye off the ball" and their place is showing these signs! I hope that they see these posts and react! I'm sure that "Nosey old" Alice has seen these posts and alerted B! I would not doubt that she is posting positive remarks to take up for her son and his bride!

I also wish that the employees could get a "To Go" order correct! I don't think that they have correctly filled my bag at all in the previous six months or so! There's always something missing, or either something that wasn't ordered. At this point, it's like beating on a dumb dog when you say something!

Thanks for these posts!
shells worker

Hickory, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Nov 27, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

annonymous wrote:
go to any other restaurant, you will see the hostess seating people. not seating, taking drink orders, bringing drinks, bringing food, refilling, and making desserts! how many restaurants do you see this at?
First off, this isn't any other restaurant, if you want to hostess at a restaurant like the fancy ones where the waitress only has 4 tables,and the hostess stands around doing nothing, then go get a job there! Quit trying to bash Shells and find another job. Get a life! Why don't you just find another job and move on?? Why run down your current employer? And if the hostesses don't like doing the duties they are given they can quit at any time. I myself have picked up plenty of slack at that place when they called in or didn't want to work.
first of all you are right, you have more than 4 or 5 tables, which is why you leave with 100 bucks daily, and don't have to do much at all. you know i am only being honest. why does the truth offend you? why not just be honest. i will trade positions with you any day, because, i have been a waitress, and trust me...since you do have like 15 tables at once, you can't possibly take care of them, so the hostess does, and doesn't make nearly as much. also, at a restaurant where the hostess just seats the people, the hostess gets tipped out...how much do you tip out, for the hostess taking your drink orders, refilling your drinks, serving your food, and cleaning your table? BE HONEST, there is no reason to get mad when you know if you really do work there, it is the truth
shells worker

Hickory, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Nov 27, 2008
 
annonymous wrote:
Well as another Shell's employee and a hostess I say.. BYE to ya! Hope you find better luck some where else cause you probably don't do half of the "big list of stuff to do" anyway. Thats why it's nasty! DUHHHHHHH...
lol and a hostess....which means you aren't doing your list of duties either, and that is why it is nasty. lol
i doubt this is a hostess, because if it were you would agree. you know we have way too much duties to get done in a day, and you are right...no i don't do much of that big freaking list that they have for hostess duties, because at the end of the day, i have waited on tables! my title is hostess, but pretty much i have done the waitresses job, so no....i don't do much of that list. if the list were split up, giving the waitresses some duties, as well as cashier...i would definitely do some.
shells worker

Hickory, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Nov 27, 2008
 
love the people there wrote:
I just want to say that I love Shells! The waitresses for lunch are so sweet and always give us good service even when they are really busy and the place is packed. My family loves the bbq :) Keep up the good work!
lol notice how all of these are coming from aol...it's too funny! what does that tell ya?
your family loves the bbq? have you eaten there lately? prices gone up, amount of food gone down!
yes the waitresses are not, i will not argue that...i get along with them, no doubt they are nice people. i wasn't arguing the fact of them being nice.
MWD

Hickory, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Nov 27, 2008
 
Hi all, i used to work at shell's. While i agree with alot being said here, as well as it isn't kept up, and management there isn't the greatest...i also have friends that work there.

my experience as an employee at shell's wasn't that great, and that is why i left. i would advise you to do the same if you hate it.

stop posting this crap, because i am being accused of it!
Amy G

Greenville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Nov 28, 2008
 
Customer service goes way futher than making sure I get my food in a timely manner and my tea is filled...I almost refuse to eat at shells now one of the waitresses got alittle upset with my elderly friend(71y/o) because she ordered bacon and it was so hard she couldnt eat it so she asked her to take it back and get she something w/o bacon on it....when she did come back she tossed and yes I say tossed it on the table at her. During this experience I promised my self and her that we would not visit shells again. I will never show my face in there again!
Mistay

Hickory, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Nov 28, 2008
 
I have suspicion that whoever posted the above shells worker, also posted with my initials on another thread. I wasn't home at that hour, so i know someone is playing around. I would like to know how you have all of this knowledge about me, btw...i am not a shells worker! You might wanna change that, if you are indeed trying to act as me. second, when did your mom work at the old bldg? my mom says she never saw it get sprayed! what are you talking about spraying a bldg? the inside or outside? you can't spray the inside of a bldg. it would be messier than when it all started! GET A LIFE!
shells worker

Hickory, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Nov 28, 2008
 
The inside and outside of hte bulidings were sprayed.
My mom worked there, and that is what she told me.
Noone is trying to be like you, you must think highly of yourself! The inside was sprayed by proffesionals, and then it was squiggied. I have never saw them do that.
Also, just because someone used your initials? You think you own those initials? You gotta patten on them or something? You need to GET A LIFE!
Mistay

Hickory, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Nov 28, 2008
 
what is your mom's name?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Claremont Discussions

Search the Claremont Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 7 hr Red Square 56,588
Man arrested after talking to bushes, shrubs 8 hr innocent_bystander 23
Undercover Hickory Police 14 hr cherokee 5
New Stores Coming to Hickory (Apr '07) 14 hr Here 227
outlaws mc, hickory, nc (Aug '11) 18 hr Been there 62
exgirlfriends 18 hr to kelli 17
Computer Ants is the best (Jul '13) Wed Mack 4
•••
•••
•••
•••

Claremont Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Claremont People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Claremont News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Claremont
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••