Upland to have new farmers market

Upland to have new farmers market

There are 23 comments on the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin story from Oct 2, 2010, titled Upland to have new farmers market. In it, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin reports that:

The city is not allowing residents to go for long without a downtown farmers market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Inland Valley Daily Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
bdd

Ontario, CA

#1 Oct 3, 2010
Aside from barbers most downtown businesses do not open until 10am. There is little benefit for the downtown businesses with this event.
Bring it

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#2 Oct 3, 2010
bdd wrote:
Aside from barbers most downtown businesses do not open until 10am. There is little benefit for the downtown businesses with this event.
I think this will be good for the community, especially after having a farmers market there for 20 years and the residents being used to an event like this. I just hope the produce is actually organic, and not stuff brought it claiming to be. So what if the downtown shops don't open til 10?
brought it

United States

#3 Oct 3, 2010
so what if it's not organic... Tree hugger
Bounce House

Covina, CA

#4 Oct 3, 2010
Sounds alright 2 me
Nora

Kapolei, HI

#5 Oct 3, 2010
I hope there is greater oversight to the vendors. There was a special investigation recently done by NBC on vendors at Farmer's markets who just bought their goods wholesale and sold them off as their own or they sold them as organic when they weren't.
Bring it

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#6 Oct 3, 2010
brought it wrote:
so what if it's not organic... Tree hugger
I'm not a tree hugger. I just don't like to pay top dollar for so called "organic" produce, or produce picked out of state and trucked in, or produce that has no quality control and that the workers piss on, like the stuff that you probably don't care about and eat.
a friend

United States

#7 Oct 3, 2010
...there's a few mid-western towns like Joplin, MO that have what Upland used to have once a year. It was a nice run Upland. We'll see if the fish is fresh, like off the boats from Newport... you think?
bdd

Ontario, CA

#8 Oct 3, 2010
Bring it wrote:
<quoted text>
I think this will be good for the community, especially after having a farmers market there for 20 years and the residents being used to an event like this. I just hope the produce is actually organic, and not stuff brought it claiming to be. So what if the downtown shops don't open til 10?
Who do you think pays for these events downtown? The businesses on 1st, 2nd, 3rd, A, 9th Arrow, and Euclid pay extra business fees that are not optional and that money is given to these little projects. The added traffic is wasted if no one is open to take advantage of it.
Bring It

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#9 Oct 4, 2010
bdd wrote:
<quoted text>
Who do you think pays for these events downtown? The businesses on 1st, 2nd, 3rd, A, 9th Arrow, and Euclid pay extra business fees that are not optional and that money is given to these little projects. The added traffic is wasted if no one is open to take advantage of it.
How many businesses are you referring to? NOT MANY!! The hours are from 8a-1:00p, so it's just 2 hours that the business aren't open. Those little businesses should be happy to pay the small fee just to get some kind of exposure from this "little project". Many people would'nt ever know these stores exist if it weren't for events like these. Face it, it's dead there as far as business goes so this event will only help them. They'll no doubt be complaining about parking due to the farmers market.
Upland Dad

United States

#10 Oct 4, 2010
Cmon, There are two barbers, mostly salons and anitque shops. None of which I ever entered during the Thursday Farmers market so they don't need to be open.
good luck

Covina, CA

#11 Oct 4, 2010
Good luck Upland!
CA fruits and nuts

Thailand

#12 Oct 4, 2010
Organic produce is not anymore nutritious than regular non-organic. CA has the best standards in the world. Soon though, you will get more and more product from Mexico and other states that do not have the standards CA has. You can thank the enviro liberal lawmakers for that.
bdd

Upland, CA

#13 Oct 4, 2010
Upland Dad wrote:
Cmon, There are two barbers, mostly salons and anitque shops. None of which I ever entered during the Thursday Farmers market so they don't need to be open.
There are over 230 businesses (most are NOT salons and antiques) that pay the extra tax which is supposed to support events to bring business to the area. Instead it is squandered on projects like this so people like you can wake up early on a Saturday and buy an orange. If you never entered a business during the Thursday downtown event then there is no need to have it at all or have the Saturday event. All that is happening is the money is being taken from the daily business people and it is given to out-of-towners who don't pay business taxes in Upland and don't collect sales taxes that go to Upland.
bdd

Upland, CA

#14 Oct 4, 2010
Bring It wrote:
<quoted text>
How many businesses are you referring to? NOT MANY!! The hours are from 8a-1:00p, so it's just 2 hours that the business aren't open. Those little businesses should be happy to pay the small fee just to get some kind of exposure from this "little project". Many people would'nt ever know these stores exist if it weren't for events like these. Face it, it's dead there as far as business goes so this event will only help them. They'll no doubt be complaining about parking due to the farmers market.
There are over 230 businesses that pay the extra tax. What exposure is there if the project is on A/3rd? All that the city is doing is taking tax money from Upland businesses and giving it to those that don't pay anything to the city.
Bring It

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#15 Oct 5, 2010
bdd wrote:
<quoted text>
There are over 230 businesses that pay the extra tax. What exposure is there if the project is on A/3rd? All that the city is doing is taking tax money from Upland businesses and giving it to those that don't pay anything to the city.
Where are you getting your information? I'd like some proof of these 230 businesses because that does NOT seem accurate at all and I just don't believe it. How much extra tax amount are they supposedly paying?? It can't be much if anything at all! Did you know that the vendors pay a fee to be at the event? I believe that accounts for the MAJORITY, not this "tax that 230 businesses" are you are talking about.
Upland dad

United States

#16 Oct 5, 2010
Question for those of you in the know. How much does each business pay?
Bring It

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#17 Oct 5, 2010
CA fruits and nuts wrote:
Organic produce is not anymore nutritious than regular non-organic. CA has the best standards in the world. Soon though, you will get more and more product from Mexico and other states that do not have the standards CA has. You can thank the enviro liberal lawmakers for that.
I think you're right, but I'd still like to see some kind of regulations on the produce I eat.
bdd

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#18 Oct 5, 2010
Bring It wrote:
<quoted text>
Where are you getting your information? I'd like some proof of these 230 businesses because that does NOT seem accurate at all and I just don't believe it. How much extra tax amount are they supposedly paying?? It can't be much if anything at all! Did you know that the vendors pay a fee to be at the event? I believe that accounts for the MAJORITY, not this "tax that 230 businesses" are you are talking about.
The city collects over $32,000 in fees each year from the dowtown businesses that no other bisuiness in Upland pays. Take a walk around, both sides of Euclid from the RR tracks to Arrow to Campus. There are several large buildings that house dozens of business, there are restaurants, schools, churches, professional services like attorneys, doctors, CPA's and architects, clothing, furniture, offices, hardware, plumbing, printing, and your favorites, salons and antiques. There are many more also.

The fee the vendors pay does not cover the entire cost of the event. Where do you think the money comes from for advertising and to pay this guy they hired that has a Master's degree to organize it?

Where do you think the money came from to put in all those trees downtown? Where do you think the money comes from for those parking lots? What about the big fancy restaurants and the Grove theater? For over 20 years the businesses and building owners in the downtown area.

Do you think someone just dumps half a million dollars on a place downtown and hopes you show up and find it while you are buying your orange at the farmers market? This money comes from taxes and those taxes are business license fees. Go to City Hall and tell them you want to open a place on 9th/2nd and ask how much the fee is. Or just call them and ask what the PBID is. That is the extra fee being paid for the privilege to be in the downtown area. Don't trust me, call the city. The information is public.
Bring It

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#19 Oct 5, 2010
bdd wrote:
<quoted text>
The city collects over $32,000 in fees each year from the dowtown businesses that no other bisuiness in Upland pays. Take a walk around, both sides of Euclid from the RR tracks to Arrow to Campus. There are several large buildings that house dozens of business, there are restaurants, schools, churches, professional services like attorneys, doctors, CPA's and architects, clothing, furniture, offices, hardware, plumbing, printing, and your favorites, salons and antiques. There are many more also.
The fee the vendors pay does not cover the entire cost of the event. Where do you think the money comes from for advertising and to pay this guy they hired that has a Master's degree to organize it?
Where do you think the money came from to put in all those trees downtown? Where do you think the money comes from for those parking lots? What about the big fancy restaurants and the Grove theater? For over 20 years the businesses and building owners in the downtown area.
Do you think someone just dumps half a million dollars on a place downtown and hopes you show up and find it while you are buying your orange at the farmers market? This money comes from taxes and those taxes are business license fees. Go to City Hall and tell them you want to open a place on 9th/2nd and ask how much the fee is. Or just call them and ask what the PBID is. That is the extra fee being paid for the privilege to be in the downtown area. Don't trust me, call the city. The information is public.
Complaining about business license fees? Well sorry, but that's part of the price of doing business. If you have a complaint about how the city is using the revenue from the business tax, then you can take that up with the city.$140 a year doesn't sound that bad to me. This farmers market has every right to be there, and I for one am supporting it!
bdd

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#20 Oct 6, 2010
Bring It wrote:
<quoted text>
Complaining about business license fees? Well sorry, but that's part of the price of doing business. If you have a complaint about how the city is using the revenue from the business tax, then you can take that up with the city.$140 a year doesn't sound that bad to me. This farmers market has every right to be there, and I for one am supporting it!
The price if doing busienss is employees, cost of goods and rent. Taxes are supposed to go to benefit those that pay them, not to be redistrubuted to things that don't help. That fee is in additional all other taxes to be in business. This is the only part of the city where a business has to pay an extra fee.

As long as you are ok with taking money from one person and giving to another so you can have an orange on Saturday is fine with me. While you are down there eating your orange take a walk around so the next time you have something to say you will at least have some information to make your argument. From 8th St to Arrow, West side of Euclid to Campus. Every building owner and business donates extra money to the city to run events like this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Claremont Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ontario Police Department cover up. 10 hr An upset mother 1
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 11 hr Trojan 34,432
News Chino Hills isn't free of gangs (Feb '08) Oct 13 Saner lok 58
News Pomona gang members sentenced in shooting of te... (May '14) Oct 12 Angel 10
Is SkimmingWorld real??? (Feb '17) Oct 12 Denny 11
News Residential burglary suspects arrested Aug '17 abc123 1
Zac Efron's phone number!!!!!! (Nov '07) Jun '17 Cassie 272

Claremont Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Claremont Mortgages