Court upholds state furloughs

Court upholds state furloughs

There are 41 comments on the San Bernardino County Sun story from Oct 4, 2010, titled Court upholds state furloughs. In it, San Bernardino County Sun reports that:

Hundreds of thousands of state workers will not get back-pay for the dozens of unpaid furlough days they took in 2009 and the first half of 2010, the California Supreme Court ruled Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Bernardino County Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Redlands Resident

Redlands, CA

#1 Oct 4, 2010
SO the unions would rather have full lay-offs. Got it.....
hunkie boy

Moreno Valley, CA

#3 Oct 5, 2010
they need to do this at the post office,most incompetent fat lazy arrogant aunt jimams that should be fired!
arnolt schwartzeNAZI

Riverside, CA

#4 Oct 5, 2010
hello againz peazantz of da poor communities. you evilz unions peeplz taught you coot gets aways with dis furlough ting. i amz in charge oonts since you dids nots sign da contracts wit me dis iz how you vill pay. i amz how we say in hollywoot "da shotcaller", it makes me feel goot inside to know i can ruin small peeplz lives. dis remindz me of ven i was young boy in da nazi austria, my father the confirmed nazi oont killer, gerber, woot come home from a hard day at da ovens. he would hand me a handful of teeth to takes out da gold so vee coot buy sum foods for diner. i voot take a rock oont bust openz da teeth. dis gave me inspiration to become a body builter because i noticed az i used dat rock dat my arm became berry big oonts it turned me on. i enjoy da big muscles, especially on other men. stop dis complaining about da furloughz oonts takes it likes a man by da vay i haz surpassed having $300 million dollarz to my name oontz my filthy wife, dis woman mareea her pig family da bootleggerz she haz a few bucks too left over so enjoy da caleefornee oonts pay da taxes you owe so vee canz give it to my rich public construction palz like da new fast choo choo train in da dessert.
worker bee

Yucaipa, CA

#5 Oct 5, 2010
Go Schwarzenegger!! You da man!!! Fire/furlogh them all if you have too & fix the budget.
DMV

Orange, CA

#6 Oct 5, 2010
Lets not forget them. They are the most over paid lazy rude workers of all.
Rufus T Firefly

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#7 Oct 5, 2010
Most state workers goof off and don't work several hours a day in a typical work week and many are overpaid, having some unpaid days off shouldn't be a problem for most of them.
Reader in Riverside

Riverside, CA

#8 Oct 5, 2010
He should have reduced the enormous salaries of our 'part-time' state legislators to save even more money.
pope

Miami, FL

#9 Oct 5, 2010
close the state offices on EACH Fridays.
close the post office EACH Saturday.
if they wont rework bad contracts just furlough weekly that's a solid 20% CUT.
huh

Upland, CA

#10 Oct 5, 2010
What about the state employees that were FORCED to work on their foulough days without pay??

A private business owner would be put in jail for doing the same thing.
GASbag

Claremont, CA

#11 Oct 5, 2010
I guess despite the constitution and laws of both the USA and California contracts mean nothing and illegal actions can be made legal after the fact.

who knew?
pope

Miami, FL

#12 Oct 5, 2010
huh wrote:
What about the state employees that were FORCED to work on their foulough days without pay??
A private business owner would be put in jail for doing the same thing.
i would assumeone could call in sick without much retribution, funny on furlough days the offices in many cases are shuttered, guess Redlands is hardcore. File a Grievance maybe.
if it was a private firm they would just cut pay and staff.
it's what i have done.
Concerned

United States

#13 Oct 5, 2010
huh wrote:
What about the state employees that were FORCED to work on their foulough days without pay??
A private business owner would be put in jail for doing the same thing.
Huh? Please show us a fact based incident of a state employee forced to work on a mandated furlough day without compensation or without a reasonable means to contest the alleged forced unpaid labor and be reimbursed!

The State is pretty much subject to the exact same labor laws applicable to the private sector. With the exception, when private companies run out of funds they can file for or declare bankruptcy when they can no longer meet payroll and other obligations for some form of reorganization. They usually are required to sell off material wealth (equipment, buildings etc) and reduce their employees (labor costs).

When the State runs out of money, they cannot simply print money like the Feds have been doing! The State needs to sell bonds but with the huge multi BILLION dollar deficits their credit rating is the dumpster and they would have to promise ever higher interest rates which only digs us deeper into the hell hole of deficit spending!

The governor declared a fiscal emergency and ordered mandated furloughs out side negotiated union contracts because there is no money to continue as the State treasury empties and sending out IOU's. The elected leaders are still playing partisan politics and the Democrats being the majority party would love to be able to toss off the Republican desires to cut expenses, the size of government and tax rates because the modus operandi for Democrats is to continue supplying their special interest groups of donors with ever expanding government workers who typically vote to keep generous Democrats shoveling ever greater amounts of taxpayer money to their union donors!

The Democrat financial house of cards is collapsing at all levels of government from the local city, county, State and National level!

Newly elected Republican Governor of New Jersy Chris Christie has managed to reduce his states out of control Democrat majority spending and union influence to bring New Jersy's 8 BILLION budgtary shortfall under control by cutting waste, government jobs, and forcing renegotiation of union governmetn contracts but he's hated and vilfied by the state government unions!

Let's see if RINO(Republican In Name Only)Whitman will have the guts to take on the unions. Our RINO Terminator was elected on his promise to try to clean up and stop the excessive state spending by Democrats Gray Davis and his Democrat majority cronnies in the Assembly and Senate. He wasn't sucessful and couldn't take on the unions or succeed in pushing the Democrats to cut back on spending!

We know Brown won't as he's firmly in the pockets of the unions who have already given him $13 MILLION according to the AP article and the State Fair Political Action reporting requirements.
Of Course

Highland, CA

#14 Oct 5, 2010
I thought Norma Torres is from Pomona?
LMAO

Upland, CA

#15 Oct 5, 2010
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh? Please show us a fact based incident of a state employee forced to work on a mandated furlough day without compensation or without a reasonable means to contest the alleged forced unpaid labor and be reimbursed!
The State is pretty much subject to the exact same labor laws applicable to the private sector. With the exception, when private companies run out of funds they can file for or declare bankruptcy when they can no longer meet payroll and other obligations for some form of reorganization. They usually are required to sell off material wealth (equipment, buildings etc) and reduce their employees (labor costs).
When the State runs out of money, they cannot simply print money like the Feds have been doing! The State needs to sell bonds but with the huge multi BILLION dollar deficits their credit rating is the dumpster and they would have to promise ever higher interest rates which only digs us deeper into the hell hole of deficit spending!
The governor declared a fiscal emergency and ordered mandated furloughs out side negotiated union contracts because there is no money to continue as the State treasury empties and sending out IOU's. The elected leaders are still playing partisan politics and the Democrats being the majority party would love to be able to toss off the Republican desires to cut expenses, the size of government and tax rates because the modus operandi for Democrats is to continue supplying their special interest groups of donors with ever expanding government workers who typically vote to keep generous Democrats shoveling ever greater amounts of taxpayer money to their union donors!
The Democrat financial house of cards is collapsing at all levels of government from the local city, county, State and National level!
Newly elected Republican Governor of New Jersy Chris Christie has managed to reduce his states out of control Democrat majority spending and union influence to bring New Jersy's 8 BILLION budgtary shortfall under control by cutting waste, government jobs, and forcing renegotiation of union governmetn contracts but he's hated and vilfied by the state government unions!
Let's see if RINO(Republican In Name Only)Whitman will have the guts to take on the unions. Our RINO Terminator was elected on his promise to try to clean up and stop the excessive state spending by Democrats Gray Davis and his Democrat majority cronnies in the Assembly and Senate. He wasn't sucessful and couldn't take on the unions or succeed in pushing the Democrats to cut back on spending!
We know Brown won't as he's firmly in the pockets of the unions who have already given him $13 MILLION according to the AP article and the State Fair Political Action reporting requirements.
Ask the folks that work at EDD.

Also, the governator wanted to cut the pay to state employees FEDERAL minimum wage. Not CALIFORNIA minimum wage.

What California business can get away with that?
Tonya Henderson

Morgan Hill, CA

#16 Oct 5, 2010
unions help keep california strong, with out the unions california could not run on it own.
Anti Union

Ontario, CA

#17 Oct 5, 2010
Redlands Resident wrote:
SO the unions would rather have full lay-offs. Got it.....
Yes you are correct. As a public service union member, I am decidedly anti union. I believe the unions in this country have caused us, the American public, to have to spend three times the going rate for the products we buy, starting with the Auto Industry decades ago. Unions within the UAW are the reason my $20,000 SUV costs $60,000, it's all to pay the union fees and retirements/benefits packages. However, prices being what they are, simply reducing my pay is not an option and would place me in poverty because of the inflated economy, so the only other option is to reduce the number of public employees. I am not responsible for what the union leaders and the state legislators do, I am a single vote and voted for fiscally responsible people. The rest of you folks, most of you who are the biggest complainers of the current system, are the ones that voted for people like Jerry Brown and Gray Davis and exploded the retirement systems and public employee system, so blame yourself. All I know is, when I began my job 25 years ago, the state made certain promises to me for my services. I expect those promises to be kept, and if it takes reducing the work force, so be it.
Anti Union

Ontario, CA

#18 Oct 5, 2010
huh wrote:
What about the state employees that were FORCED to work on their foulough days without pay??
A private business owner would be put in jail for doing the same thing.
Never happens, it's against Federal law and their are dozens of remedies if it were to happen. What usually happens, and I've heard this first hand, is someone in a vital job gets furloughed, but because the job is vital and needs to be filled during that furlough period, the same person who was furloughed is allowed to come in to fill the necessary spot at time and a half overtime. Now that is true government at work, furlough someone to save money and then make it cost more by filling the spot with someone on overtime. You can't make this garbage up. And people wonder why government is so inept.
nasimoto

Corona, CA

#19 Oct 5, 2010
i was at the DMV yesterday and it took 4 hours to get my licensed renewed, DMV workers are the laziest most unproductive staff i have ever seen. workers like that in the private industry would be fired for being unproductive.
Jimmy Cricket

San Bernardino, CA

#20 Oct 5, 2010
Anti Union wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you are correct. As a public service union member, I am decidedly anti union. I believe the unions in this country have caused us, the American public, to have to spend three times.....

All I know is, when I began my job 25 years ago, the state made certain promises to me for my services. I expect those promises to be kept, and if it takes reducing the work force, so be it.
You sir a Hypocrite of the highest order. It's mind boggling to me how hypocritical you are. You are Anti union but you will gladly take "the certain promises the state made to you" Those promises weren't made to you, you ballsack they were made to your union -of which you are a member - but now you have got yours and are on the tail end of your career - screw everyone else???

Typical , typical baby boomer crybaby self centered tea party ahole - you want (and have got) the benefits of and now you cry about how terrible government spending is and how the unions are to blame.....you are an idiot.
29 Years of State Service

Ojai, CA

#21 Oct 5, 2010
I don't work for the DMV, I work in a 24 hour care facility for the disabled. We can't furlough because of staffing minimums. We work holidays, weekends, and mandatory overtime to meet staffing minimums for the next shift. For this dedicated service, my paycheck was cut 15% with little notice. I hope all of you who complain are affected by these furloughs in every office that serves the public. Wait longer at the DMV, have more potholes ont he freeway, etc. By the way- please donate your 15% to the state budget recovery or BE QUIET. That would be fair, right! State WORKERS did not cause the budget defecit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Claremont Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 9 min YouPhartzz 33,430
Poll Gangs keepin it G... (Jul '09) 11 hr 18allday 4
Dirty snapchat!! (Oct '16) 12 hr Wooo 5
Private Label Clothing - Bulk Manufacturing 13 hr simoneblake 1
News Vagos motorcycle club targeted in Southern Cali... (Mar '06) Mon Pasquali 4,850
Zac Efron's phone number!!!!!! (Nov '07) Jun '17 Cassie 272
News Learn more about Muslim culture at - Open Mosqu... Mar '17 Crusader_no mercy... 1

Claremont Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Claremont Mortgages