Car theft suspect involved in fatal c...

Car theft suspect involved in fatal collision after short pursuit

There are 69 comments on the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin story from Jun 29, 2010, titled Car theft suspect involved in fatal collision after short pursuit. In it, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin reports that:

An elderly Upland man was killed Tuesday when a man driving a stolen car slammed into his vehicle following a short police pursuit.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Inland Valley Daily Bulletin.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Bytor

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#1 Jun 29, 2010
So we have three totaled cars and one dead innocent bystander, because a Claremont cop wanted to chase someone for no plates. That's real police work there. Great job!
uplander

Kapolei, HI

#2 Jun 29, 2010
Bytor wrote:
So we have three totaled cars and one dead innocent bystander, because a Claremont cop wanted to chase someone for no plates. That's real police work there. Great job!
Um, did you read the part about car thefts and parole violation? My heart goes out to the innocent victims and most especially the man who lost his life, but let's put the blame where it belongs--with the guy who ran.
Bytor

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#3 Jun 29, 2010
Yeah, I read the part where the Claremont cop did not have that information, and was chasing him because he had no plates. Did you miss that part? What they know after the fact doesn't excuse them from bad decision making at the time of the incident. But apparently it wasn't your family member that got killed, so it's OK.
looku812

Brea, CA

#4 Jun 29, 2010
Bytor wrote:
Yeah, I read the part where the Claremont cop did not have that information, and was chasing him because he had no plates. Did you miss that part? What they know after the fact doesn't excuse them from bad decision making at the time of the incident. But apparently it wasn't your family member that got killed, so it's OK.
The bad decision making was on the part of the suspect. I guess we should all take our license plates off our cars and if the police try to pull us over just speed away. What a great idea.
40 year old upland guy

Lytle Creek, CA

#5 Jun 29, 2010
Bytor wrote:
Yeah, I read the part where the Claremont cop did not have that information, and was chasing him because he had no plates. Did you miss that part? What they know after the fact doesn't excuse them from bad decision making at the time of the incident. But apparently it wasn't your family member that got killed, so it's OK.
Any loss of life due to a senseless, petty action is sad. While some police chases simply arent worth endagering the public (such as when the police know who they are chasing or have other resources at their disposal) others warrant swift and immediate action. My opinion is that it a rush to judgement to say that it was a bad decision to chase considering that it was a straight run down baseline, not lasting very long or covering much distance. People could also argue that the police bungled if they broke off a chase and this guy went on to commit other serious crimes when they could have nabbed him over a missing license plate. Either way, the blame lies with the person who initiated the chase, not the police. Let the courts decide who is responsible for this tragedy.
uplander

Kapolei, HI

#6 Jun 29, 2010
Most honest people don't drive around in a car with no plates, nor take off when the police try to pull them over. Whether or not the officer knew of this person's crimes at the onset of the chase, he certainly recognized suspicious activity--usually associated with a criminal.
you are a loser brett

Claremont, CA

#7 Jun 29, 2010
bret, you are a WORTHLESS, cowardly oxygen thief! maybe now you will stay in prison for a long time and get your salad tossed in jail. I know your mama is proud that her stuipid son finally made it to prison!!! LOSER!!! Too bad you weren't the one who died...jackhole!

Since: Jun 10

Long Beach, CA

#8 Jun 29, 2010
Put the blame where it belongs with the 25 year old theif on parole. It was a short chase, just too bad the victim was killed. Lets hope our courts put him away for a long time.
COWABUNGA

Whittier, CA

#9 Jun 29, 2010
Bytor wrote:
So we have three totaled cars and one dead innocent bystander, because a Claremont cop wanted to chase someone for no plates. That's real police work there. Great job!
What a p.o.s. you are..

you're the next one we'll read about ....
common sense

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#10 Jun 29, 2010
America has really gone downhill when people put more value on a stolen car than on a human life! Yes, the suspect is at fault here but the officer is the one that put more value on the car, no plates, etc., than on human life. They know there are people driving on the city streets that might get in the way of the chase so they need to stop!
Realist

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#11 Jun 29, 2010
Bytor wrote:
Yeah, I read the part where the Claremont cop did not have that information, and was chasing him because he had no plates. Did you miss that part? What they know after the fact doesn't excuse them from bad decision making at the time of the incident. But apparently it wasn't your family member that got killed, so it's OK.
If you're driving a car without plates, you're asking to be pulled over. What idiot in their right mind would'nt realize that he's going to stand out like a sore thumb without plates.
Realist

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#12 Jun 29, 2010
common sense wrote:
America has really gone downhill when people put more value on a stolen car than on a human life! Yes, the suspect is at fault here but the officer is the one that put more value on the car, no plates, etc., than on human life. They know there are people driving on the city streets that might get in the way of the chase so they need to stop!
The driver sped off, initiating the chase. Any car that speeds off must have something to hide. The cop was doing his job. How can you say the officer put more value on the car than a life when he was only doing his job?
pissed off

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#13 Jun 29, 2010
my brother inlaw was the other person in the accident. he spent the day in the hospital but is ok. The gentleman who died didnt know what hit him. The guy in the stolen car should have been shoot when he tried to run from the scene.
montcleezy

San Jacinto, CA

#14 Jun 29, 2010
deport him back to arizona where the white meth heads belong hes a waste of oxygen, stealing cars in the mornings and also the cop should have had more consideration for peoples lives you do NOT engage in a pursuit at 9 in the morning on a week day of course some body is going to get hurt..
Empathy4U

Diamond Bar, CA

#15 Jun 29, 2010
I am a 34 year old husband and father and Upland resident. I can't beleive this happened. I live just down the street and I can't imagine if it was my wife, son, mother, father, or family member who was killed today. I am so sorry that this happened. My heart goes out to the victims family. There are criminals running the streets everyday. Too bad people don't report suspicious activity sooner. If I see someone driving without license plates I'll call the police right away. It may have given the police a chance to prepare for stopping the vehicle in a safer manner. I don't blame the officer though. Plain and simple you don't run from the law. What was this 25 year old guy going to do next, hold up a bank and shoot everyone in the process? This 25 year old parolee was out of control. Who knows, he may have been on his way to do a home invasion or something. Its a tragic circumstance. We as citizens need to take a more active roll in reporting suspicious activity.
LEA

San Fernando, CA

#16 Jun 30, 2010
I am so sorry for the elderly gentleman who lost his life. I truly pray that his family receives peace and the hand of GOD touches and holds them during this trying time. The person who committed this atrocity is a worthless piece of trash. He was on parole and should have never been released from custody. California is a place that coddles criminals and people with lengthy criminals records like this loser receive little to no time for offenses that are a complete threat to the community. I sincerely hope that his person NEVER sees the light of day in the free world again. He took away a loved one in a senseless act that could have been prevented had he not been released. The sentencing laws in California need to be revised. The Garridos, The Garners, and the Fagans of the world are nothing but predators to the welfare of the world. That can't do right for always doing wrong. I hope he is an old man when he is released. LOSER!
common sense

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#17 Jun 30, 2010
Realist wrote:
<quoted text>
The driver sped off, initiating the chase. Any car that speeds off must have something to hide. The cop was doing his job. How can you say the officer put more value on the car than a life when he was only doing his job?
When the driver sped off that gave the officer a choice: Chase him and kill an innocent victim or let him get caught later, which he will. This officer chose to chase and endanger other people's lives just because the guy was driving without plates. That is putting something minor over people's lives!
Ang-Los Serranos CA

Chino Hills, CA

#18 Jun 30, 2010
LEA wrote:
I am so sorry for the elderly gentleman who lost his life. I truly pray that his family receives peace and the hand of GOD touches and holds them during this trying time. The person who committed this atrocity is a worthless piece of trash. He was on parole and should have never been released from custody. California is a place that coddles criminals and people with lengthy criminals records like this loser receive little to no time for offenses that are a complete threat to the community. I sincerely hope that his person NEVER sees the light of day in the free world again. He took away a loved one in a senseless act that could have been prevented had he not been released. The sentencing laws in California need to be revised. The Garridos, The Garners, and the Fagans of the world are nothing but predators to the welfare of the world. That can't do right for always doing wrong. I hope he is an old man when he is released. LOSER!
First and foremost, my deepest sympathy to the family of the victim who has lost his life.
But give me a break....Lea you should really get a life....or take up another hobby instead of sitting in your home late at night reading tragic stories on the internet and posting your lame comments. You don't know what you are talking about, in regards to short time in custody and being released. Sorry but you are way off the mark when it comes to the harsh sentences that Brett has received. Offering your sympathy and respects..that I commend you on ....but as for your hatred and spouting off at the mouth ....save it. You need to get your facts straight. Brett made a very bad decision, when choosing to run from the cops which ended tragically, and took an innocent man's life......but Brett, no matter much how much you hate it ... is precious and loved BY MANY!!!!! Brett has also caused a lot of greif for many of us. His loved ones also are mourning our loss of our Beloved Brett. YES...that's right I said it ..... Parolees are loved too....now what?????? If the truth be known.... some of the most "TRUE" and "SINCERE" people I know are parolees, and there are many of them I would not trade for two the regular, everyday Joes from down the street. This is out of everyone's hand now and Brett will have to answer and pay for his actions and bad decision making.
Next time you want to hide behind your monitor and let your mouth run, why don't you give some thought to some of innocent victims that your inconsiderate slurs may affect....like Brett's Mother...she does not deserve to read this crap about her son. Or how about his brothers and baby sister???? What have they done to warrant, bashing their FAGAN name. So Lea, who is the real LOSER?
Ang from Los Serranos, CA
Ang-Los Serranos CA

Chino Hills, CA

#19 Jun 30, 2010
common sense wrote:
<quoted text>
When the driver sped off that gave the officer a choice: Chase him and kill an innocent victim or let him get caught later, which he will. This officer chose to chase and endanger other people's lives just because the guy was driving without plates. That is putting something minor over people's lives!
AMEN!!!! But nobody wants to turn that coin over!!!
LOSER HATER

San Fernando, CA

#20 Jun 30, 2010
Hi Ang from Los Cerritos. You're right. I should have more sympathy for Bret and the many "harsh" sentences he has received. What was I thinking?

You said: Lea you should really get a life....or take up another hobby instead of sitting in your home late at night reading tragic stories on the internet and posting your lame comments

Well considering that you are replying to my comments, that makes two of us.

You said: some of the most "TRUE" and "SINCERE" people I know are parolees

If they are so TRUE and SINCERE, why in the hell are they on parole? How can one be true and sincere and a criminal? Enlighten me please!

You said:What have they done to warrant, bashing their FAGAN name.

Are you serious? Really?!?! A name? Nobody knew who Bret was until Tuesday!! If he was famous it was only in law enforcement circles. Trust me, I am not waiting in line to get his autograph. He must have been on the waiting list for fame or something because I didn't get the memo.

You said:...his mother does not deserve to read this crap about her son

I am quite certain I haven't written anything she hasn't read before.

You said:
So Lea, who is the real LOSER?

My money is still on Bret being the loser in this one.

P.S. Where the hell is Los Serranos?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Claremont Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 43 min OrderPhartse 32,758
Review: 1-800 Radiator (May '09) 3 hr 1800sucks 122
News Ontario: Four-Building Office Campus Sells for ... 17 hr Canada could use ... 1
Lying murrabito lied again! 18 hr Frank 8
Allawos 100% Syrian ! Fri vote smart 19
Shooting at Ontario Mills (Feb '07) Fri ChristineD 24
News Parents, care providers criticize Inland Region... (Sep '10) Fri katy88 23

Claremont Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Claremont Mortgages