Richard

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2012

Anyone in this forum receive a red light camera ticket in Dunnellon ? I did and would like to do something about it. Maybe a class action suit against the town of Dunnellon. A protest or something similar. The purpose of these red light cameras is to bring in the monsy for cash strapped towns and cities. It is not for safety. Anyone available to hold some signs on the sidewalks at the red light camera locations in Dunnellon ? If we reduce the amount of money the town of Dunnellon makes with these cameras maybe they will take them down. Other ideas ?
Slim

Dunnellon, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2012

I got one a year or so ago, cost me $158.00 I had to send the money to some place in Arizona.
Barb

Summerfield, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2012

Yes I just got a ticket in Dunnellon. I then went to the online video of it where I discovered the video had been manipulated.... First of all I was,nt even in that lane and it also shows there was no other cars around the light at 1200 pm on a Friday.... yeah right.
Also how could it be that it happened at approx. 1200 pm on a Friday and I received the ticket in the mail the next day from Az? Has anyone ever timed how quickly that light changes from green, yellow, to red?? Oh my my . Im now paranoid to even go to Dunnellon.
Gator 9 Lecanto FL

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2012

Driving in Dunnellon, I was into the intersection when the light changed to yellow. The video showed that the light was yellow when I was almost 3/4ths of the way across. Like those in the other comments, the ticket came from Arizona, who, I believe, is under contract to Dunnellon to do the billing and collecting - for a fee. I talked to my attorney who said to pay the fine and be done with it. Later, I learned that intersections with a red light camera have a warning sign telling you there is a camera ahead. The cameras are mounted on poles so they face the intersection. Now, I sometimes find my attention distracted due to looking for the signs and the cameras rather than paying attention to the traffic. I also now tend to slow down for these intersections when the light is still green, slowing traffic behind me, or braking hard at the instant the yellow comes on, hoping that no one is on my bumper, rather than continuing safely through the intersection as I have done in the past. I don't know what the answer is to make intersections safer, but I do know I don't like red light cameras. It's like someone looking over your should and yelling at you three days later when you do something wrong rather than explaining what you did wrong and helping you to do better. It's the big stick principle, which I've never done well with. I feel that proper timing of yellow light duration and the safe timing of the interval between the time yellow goes off and red comes on is a better and safer approach. Obviously, I am not a traffic engineer, just a driver judged guilty by technology and someone's red light timing guidelines. By the way, my attorney informed me that I could fight it in court. However, if I lost, and he felt most people can't win against the cold logic of a light, I would not only pay the fine, but also court costs, and receive points against my driver's license. My assumption was that my car insurance would also increase. So, I caved. Again, big stick wins.
Guilty as Charged

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

I just got my 158er in the mail. I was video taped making a right on red without coming to a complete stop at 8 in the morning. I was guilty or breaking the written law, but at no time did I put anyone in danger. That being said, I'm sending them the $158 bucks and being done with it (as I was in fact guilty). However, we do a river trip with about 30 people at the end of each summer and I won't be going back to Dunnellon. (I can't speak for the rest of the group) Apparently the city needs money, and I don't want to contribute to a towns tax base that uses these cameras, not for safety, but as a cash grab. I'm sure the few hundred bucks I spend on that weekend won't matter, but I won't support that town regardless.
Sahara

Ocala, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

I say boycott that town!! I worked for the city & it is all revenue driven not saftey as they say-they are all the biggest liars. I went thru the light about a week ago & it was yellow-I am waiting for my ticket as the light is rigged to be a shorter yellow. I will never go there again if I get one.
Ken Ocala FL

Ocala, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

I also was ticketed on november 29 th ,was just short of intersection,when light went green to red in the blink of an eye .plan on taking video to back my case.
Russ

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Got a 158.00 flash camera ticket in September on US41,downtown near the Post Office. The light changed faster than normal and then saw that flash. I no longer do business in Dunnellon for anything because of those lights.
Marty

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

.3 seconds... it says I crossed the line when the red light was activated for .3 seconds... These "violations" are nothing more than Toll fees since they are not real citations. It's extortion. By the way, the company that installed these cameras, I've heard that the fines are split 50/50 with the City. If I didn't live hours away then yes I would fight it.
SW Ocala

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Could you share your progress and which intersection?
Ken Ocala FL wrote:
I also was ticketed on november 29 th ,was just short of intersection,when light went green to red in the blink of an eye .plan on taking video to back my case.
DUNNELLON-PIONEE R

Gainesville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Been driving 45 years - 2 of the 3 tickets in "45" YEARS were last and this years on hwy 41 in Dunnellon. You DON'T HAVE TIME TO STOP...yellow could only be on a second...VERY VERY DANGEROUS...!
TELL ME WHAT TO DO?. NO WONDER DUNNELLON HASN'T GROWN!.........the pathetic signs to drive safe in Dunnellon are ridiculously funny....put up to hide that the powers that set the lights are crooks - I CALLED THE COUNTY and spoke with the engineer that told me that Dunnellon had "CHOSEN" to handle their own timing!
Soon to be Ex Resident

Dunnellon, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

I was charged with failure to comply with a steady red light. I plan to contest this in court as I was stopped in the right hand turn lane behind a car that was stopped at the cross bar (my video proves it). How many times are we to stop while in the turn lane before proceeding? I saw where there was no oncoming traffic so I went on through. I fear by the time I get to court my video will be somewhat compromised. I do plan to keep a watch on this one and only piece of evidence I feel I have at my disposal. In all my 48 years of driving have I ever been in this kind of problem with a town. I have traveled many towns in Florida and lived in a lot of larger towns before now, never had this problem. I have had only 2 violations in my entire life in 48 years of driving. I come here and I now have 2 speed warnings and a failure to comply. Something is wrong here. That's ok. I have redirected by business elsewhere since 1/18/13 I will take different routes until I leave this town. The city powers need to look at a class action suit and soon.
got two

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

dunnellon cops suck! traffic lights at 45 miles per hour should be 4.3 seconds not 3 seconds
TMC

Gainesville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Do the city fathers have any idea of how much damage they are doing to the Now & Future commerce of Dunnellon by using these traffic light cameras?
To say this is a safety issue is laughable. This is a revenue issue, period.
I will reroute myself to Hwy 40 East and do my shopping in a more people friendly
neighborhood. Driving is difficult enough. Let alone having to deal with the anxiety of traffic cameras.
Forget any chance of me signing up with Greenlight.
TMC
CTrh

Southington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

A typical "SnowBird' could spend more than $6,000 per year for 4 months or so for housing, food, etc. Times 10 years =
$60,000. If there are 15 or 20 folks like me that would just as soon rent in another nice town, your economy could loose pushing in excess of $ 1 million.
plus angering current citizens. Sounds like the town is kinda dumb.
diane

Beverly Hills, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

I got a ticket by a CAMERA and went to court. Instead of paying $158 I played almost $400. Being punished for fighting it I guess, anyway I am looking to find out if we who paid dearly get reimbursed and how I go about it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Citrus Springs Discussions

Search the Citrus Springs Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) 36 min True Words 2,616
FL 'Hiccup girl' charged with murder in Florida (Oct '10) 5 hr AND 1,786
citrus county chronical Tue BrendaS 9
Ku Klux Klan is still alive and well in Florida (Aug '08) Apr 13 LETZGIP 353
Hernando group searching for families to become... Apr 12 yes what solutions 3
FL Who do you support for Attorney General in Flor... (Oct '10) Mar 28 a quest by jA jA 2,066
Review: Citrus Cycle Center Mar 28 Chris 1
•••
•••
•••
Citrus Springs Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Citrus Springs Jobs

•••
•••
•••