Student off hook for Facebook insult ...

Student off hook for Facebook insult of teacher

There are 9 comments on the www.sfgate.com story from Jan 28, 2011, titled Student off hook for Facebook insult of teacher. In it, www.sfgate.com reports that:

The Constitution "bars schools from disciplining students for speech, unless the speech creates a material and substantial disruption of the school environment," ACLU attorney Linda Lye said in a letter last month to the principal of Mesa Verde High in Citrus Heights .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.sfgate.com.

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#1 Jan 30, 2011
"The boy's Facebook message, from a home computer, said the teacher was a "fat a**" who should stop eating fast food, and is a d***** bag."
Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi...

Times sure have changed since I attended HS.
I Hate Punks

AOL

#2 Feb 2, 2011
Times sure are changing. This kid should have received punishment from all directions! I can't believe his mother took it to the ACLU. What is wrong with her? She should be holding that kid accountable for his actions and let him pay a stiff penalty. At least now people all over the US know what a disrespectful person Donny is. Just remember, potential future employees take note of stuff like this.
know the facts

Roseville, CA

#3 Feb 2, 2011
How do you know that the mother didn't punish him? I'm sure she did. The ACLU agreed that the school went too far by suspending him. Don't you see what's happening? We are being watched constantly. Students are suspended for every little thing these days. In my day, if you got into a fight with another student, the principal would bring you both in the office and make you shake hands and make up. Now, 3 to 5 days suspension. Second offense, expelled from school. What's the point? Make the kids work it off instead. Clean the school. Cafeteria, bathrooms, hallways, etc. This young man didn't do anything the other kids don't do. He was just foolish by putting it on facebook.
Curious

AOL

#4 Feb 2, 2011
I wonder what would have happened if the teacher's Facebook page said that stuff about the student?

Location hidden

#5 Feb 2, 2011
I Hate Punks wrote:
Times sure are changing. This kid should have received punishment from all directions! I can't believe his mother took it to the ACLU. What is wrong with her? She should be holding that kid accountable for his actions and let him pay a stiff penalty. At least now people all over the US know what a disrespectful person Donny is. Just remember, potential future employees take note of stuff like this.

When I attended elementary school, a paddling was used as punishment. Pretty extreme by today's standards, but at the time, it did seem to be an effective deterrent. The ACLU wasn't called in either.
Personally, I think the kid is a spoiled and privileged jock.
Just Sayin

Visalia, CA

#6 Feb 3, 2011
Curious wrote:
I wonder what would have happened if the teacher's Facebook page said that stuff about the student?
So right They would have removed the teacher from teaching. I like the mom said her kid is a Honor Student, not hardly IMHO.
He is no Honor Student

AOL

#7 Feb 3, 2011
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
So right They would have removed the teacher from teaching. I like the mom said her kid is a Honor Student, not hardly IMHO.
Honor student? There is no honor in exhibiting poor character like he did. Some day Donny will look back at what he did and the guilt will hit him like a ton of bricks. He should probably tell the teacher he is sorry and put this behind him.

Location hidden

#8 Feb 3, 2011
He is no Honor Student wrote:
<quoted text>
Honor student? There is no honor in exhibiting poor character like he did. Some day Donny will look back at what he did and the guilt will hit him like a ton of bricks. He should probably tell the teacher he is sorry and put this behind him.

"A vice principal called the home and asked Donny to take the posting down and apologize. He complied, telling the teacher he was sorry and shaking hands, his mother said.

Later that day, he was called to the principal's office, accused of cyber-bullying and suspended for a day. The family contacted the ACLU."

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#9 Feb 7, 2011
He is no Honor Student wrote:
<quoted text>Honor student? There is no honor in exhibiting poor character like he did. Some day Donny will look back at what he did and the guilt will hit him like a ton of bricks. He should probably tell the teacher he is sorry and put this behind him.
I doubt that. I agree that he should have been punished, but come on! Seriously, he is obviously spoiled or told that his sh!t doesn't stink and he will never look back and feel badly for it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Citrus Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay sex stories (Nov '14) 8 hr Brad 9
Citrus Heights Building dept does not enforce b... Sep 14 Budlytman 1
News Tesla is eliminating dozens of positions at its... Sep 12 Solarman 1
Schizvid conschizio ! Sep 12 Lazarus 1
Rachel ? Mary alano club she needs you now more... Sep 12 Alanobo 1
Rockin Hobby! Sep 11 littlefieldsofima... 1
Im sick Sep 10 Generic Black Guy 2

Citrus Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance