Dress Less Brides After Bridal Boutiq...

Dress Less Brides After Bridal Boutique Closes

There are 60 comments on the News10 Sacramento story from Jun 1, 2007, titled Dress Less Brides After Bridal Boutique Closes. In it, News10 Sacramento reports that:

Dress boutique closes leaving brides without their gowns. 185 Most young ladies dream of walking down the aisle in a beautiful gown on their wedding day but for two Northern California brides that dream has ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News10 Sacramento.

Josette

Sacramento, CA

#26 Jun 1, 2007
im guessing bride to be works at Alexandrias. But thats just me, going out on a limb...
Married

Walnut Grove, CA

#27 Jun 1, 2007
I was married in 98 and bought my dress there - same story- it arrived a week before my wedding and that's too much stress for a bride. But they didn't seem to be bothered by it. It's better off that they're closed. Unfortunately, some ladies are left out. My sister's marrying in 2 weeks (out of state) and we found the size and styles for the bridesmaid dresses at David's and then found a lot of them and matching shoes on ebay by typing in the style numbers and colors. craigslist is probably similar. Really, when are you going to wear the dress again - why not buy used or rent it for the day and save - wedding's are such a ripoff anyway. My wedding dress is in a cedar box and I couldn't wear it if I wanted too. My only hope is for one of my daughters to WANT it - but every girl has her own dream dress.... trust your gut feeling when shopping and listen to what other shoppers are saying when in a store.
jst4stac

United States

#28 Jun 1, 2007
I have my wedding gown from a few years ago. Anyone is welcome to have it if they need it.(free) It's a size 6 (or so). It would just need to be cleaned, but it is very simple but pretty. I am sorry this happened to you at such a special time!! if you are interested send an e-mial: jst4stac@yahoo.com

Since: May 07

Mount Vernon, WA

#29 Jun 1, 2007
Can't the brides just get married in their normal clothes? Who cares? You don't really need to have a dress on to marry someone.
Josette

Sacramento, CA

#30 Jun 1, 2007
Married wrote:
I was married in 98 and bought my dress there - same story- it arrived a week before my wedding and that's too much stress for a bride. But they didn't seem to be bothered by it. It's better off that they're closed. Unfortunately, some ladies are left out. My sister's marrying in 2 weeks (out of state) and we found the size and styles for the bridesmaid dresses at David's and then found a lot of them and matching shoes on ebay by typing in the style numbers and colors. craigslist is probably similar. Really, when are you going to wear the dress again - why not buy used or rent it for the day and save - wedding's are such a ripoff anyway. My wedding dress is in a cedar box and I couldn't wear it if I wanted too. My only hope is for one of my daughters to WANT it - but every girl has her own dream dress.... trust your gut feeling when shopping and listen to what other shoppers are saying when in a store.
AMEN!
A Suggestion

Sacramento, CA

#31 Jun 1, 2007
I recommend House of Fashion II at 38th and J st (midtown Sacramento) for anyone looking for a last-minute dress. They are the outlet for House of Fashion (also on J, I think at 21st). I found the main store to be very snooty and unhelpful when looking for my sister's wedding dress and also when looking for my own bridesmaid's dresses. But the outlet store is very friendly and they have several styles, all discounted from the main store. Unfortunately, they have limited bridesmaid's dresses at the outlet.

I checked the BBB, via the link from this article.
For the record, Keepsakes Bridal has a satisfactory rating from the BBB.(So, while they may be taking advantage of the situation to earn profit, they don't appear to be likely to take advantage of the brides themselves.)
Neither Alexandria's Formal Dress Rental nor House of Fashion has a full report from the BBB (due apparently to lack of complete information). However, neither appeared to have significant complaints either.
Josette

Sacramento, CA

#32 Jun 1, 2007
A Suggestion wrote:
I recommend House of Fashion II at 38th and J st (midtown Sacramento) for anyone looking for a last-minute dress. They are the outlet for House of Fashion (also on J, I think at 21st). I found the main store to be very snooty and unhelpful when looking for my sister's wedding dress and also when looking for my own bridesmaid's dresses. But the outlet store is very friendly and they have several styles, all discounted from the main store. Unfortunately, they have limited bridesmaid's dresses at the outlet.
I checked the BBB, via the link from this article.
For the record, Keepsakes Bridal has a satisfactory rating from the BBB.(So, while they may be taking advantage of the situation to earn profit, they don't appear to be likely to take advantage of the brides themselves.)
Neither Alexandria's Formal Dress Rental nor House of Fashion has a full report from the BBB (due apparently to lack of complete information). However, neither appeared to have significant complaints either.
My friend just got married last weekend, and she actually found a VERA WANG (yes) dress for ONLY 399!!! Original retail was 2900! Why so cheap? It was a "discontinued style" and it had a "snag" on the bottom. I wouldve never even noticed.
TheMom51

Eugene, OR

#33 Jun 1, 2007
The BBB is a joke and complaining to them is next to useless. The only time BBB is useful is BEFORE you give your money to a business. What's really sad is the snowballing number of unscrupulous businesses out there. Unfortunately, most of our laws are on their side and make it VERY difficult (if not impossible) to get your money back. Best bet is small claims court.
A Suggestion

Sacramento, CA

#34 Jun 1, 2007
Another hint: The dress I bought at House of Fashion II was marked $500 (discounted from $1200, I think). But I was worried that it might be expensive to alter. I expressed concern to one of the ladies there, and without thinking twice, she agreed to knock the price down to $300, so that I could spend the rest on alterations.
So if you are on an especially tight budget (particularly if you are hoping to get your $900+ back from that other store), keep in mind that this outlet's prices are not set in stone....

Also, in Citrus Heights, I ordered my veil from Bridal Gallery on Sunrise Blvd.(just down from the Sunrise mall, near Staples and Tuesday Morning). They were very helpful when I was looking for bridesmaid's dresses. And they were about ordering my veil, and checking to make sure it would arrive on time, etc. Their BBB report lists them as a member of the BBB and lists no complaints. If you have a specific dress in mind, you might contact them and see if they can help you with a rush order.
Jbee

Sacramento, CA

#35 Jun 1, 2007
I say take her to Judge Judy!!! She will lay into her!
Kim RABG

United States

#36 Jun 1, 2007
To Chad....... and every bride out there.... if you have purchased gowns from the Bridal Boutique... call me and I will help.... I am in Modesto. You can visit my website at www.rentabridalgown.com . This is just horrible for any bride to be and I am here to help anyone that wants to drive to Modesto.
Chad wrote:
Well This is great. We purchased four dresses through that shop in February and our wedding is on the 22nd of July. I just hope we can find someone who can supply new dresses in time. I will pursue legal action but I'm almost certain there is nothing to be recovered from this lady. Now I get to call my fiancee... Fun.
Buckeye

United States

#37 Jun 1, 2007
Can the people who have been ripped off place a lien on the house in Garnet Bay?
If the soon to be ex husband is around then donít they share in the responsibilities?
LaBree Yates

Edinburg, TX

#39 Jun 2, 2007
Hey there, I was on the news night before last, and thank you for your empathy. The same night that was broadcast I went and purchased a dress at davids bridal. They were great and did not charge me a rush fee on alterations. I was lucky.

Sandy called me today. "I advise you not to worry..." she said everything was fine. SURE I called my manufacturer today and my dress too like the otherbride on the news was never ordered. I was told that the dress was handmade in Italy and that is why it took so long to get here...HA no way, it was in some southern state..not a handmade Italian dress. I was sacamed. I've called visa to start a dispute as did my bridsmaids, they paied for their dresses tonight. Everything will work out. I'll get my money back. Again thank you for your interests and empathy. OH one more silly story. I ran into a bride with her six maids at davids today, and she was told that their dreses were delayed because they were made in China and china "closed down" for a month! What a joke. But I am trying to be professional about the situation. If you have been scammed please call your visa...
Devastated M-O-B

Courtland, CA

#40 Jun 2, 2007
Unfortunately, we are one of the taken/stolen from victims. About a month ago, my daughter and I went to Bridal Boutique and purchased her wedding dress for the upcoming 7-7-07 wedding! I paid cash, and they were holding it for future alterations. We caught the Friday night news 10 clip about Brides w/o dresses and figured out it was the same place where we had bought the dress.
I had to call my daughter and give her the bad news. The shop was closed, all dresses gone, money gone! I have lived around the corner from them for 15 years, they could have notified me to come and pick up my purchase, but they didn't! They could have called me and the rest of the brides to be, to come pick up their purchases. Instead, they put a VERY sorry excuse for a note on the window saying they will attempt to get to us the merchandise we purchsed which they claim is in storage.
So, we are without a dress, and only 35 days away from the wedding. If you seriously are able to help supply a dress, please contact me at: smallonee_77@yahoo.com
To all of the other brides, I am so sorry!
Thank You,
Mother of Bride
Linda S White

AOL

#41 Jun 2, 2007
She has one of the bridesmaid dresses for my daughter's wedding for June 30. Paid for in full in Novemeber. We have four dresses, now how do we match one? She should have given notice on closing and just quit taking orders for the future but fulfill all orders she had already taken the money for!!
DRESS-LESS FIANCE

United States

#42 Jun 2, 2007
I am a victim of this companies dishonesty! wow!
I only have 35 days!
Here is the letter I sent to news 10...
Please send one of your own!
Hello News 10 !
A story just aired about a bridal boutique on Greenback Avenue that ripped off many brides in our community.
I am a VICTIM of this scam, these people have left with my wedding dress AND my money!!!
We need News 10 to air some of the victims to get help for these brides!! My wedding is THIRTY FIVE days away!!(7-7-7) With my single mom and myself paying for the wedding by ourselves, this is a BIG HIT!!
When I went to try on dresses at the store, the owners daughter told me a price, and when the owner came out.. she said "OH! I thought you were talking about another dress" (The dress contained a 899.00 price tag with a SALE stamp on it)..but she said " but I'll still sell it to you for the price my daughter quoted you.(WHICH WAS MUCH LESS) The problem is not only the MONEY lost, but also.. the BIG DOLLARS it will take to REPLACE the dress!! Any one who has shopped for dresses knows, with out a doubt, that any descent dress costs anywhere from one, two or three thousand dollars!!!
I know there are many people and bridal shops in our community who would be willing to help the many brides now left with out the items they purchased!! The dress will be tough to replace, and we need news ten to help get the word out, so the people with willing hearts can help, and the stranded brides will not be WEDDING-DRESS-LESS!
Thanks News 10!
I have the documented receipts, dates, types of payment, ect. Please contact me for a copy. I can fax it, or even scan a copy and email it to you.
Thank you for airing the story! If mom would not have seen it, we would have been "farther up the creek."
Looking forward to hearing how News 10 can help!
Thanks.....
Future Mrs. Oliveros
and the WEDDING-DRESS-LESS FIANCE !!:o(
Kim RABG

United States

#43 Jun 2, 2007
Hello Dress-Less Fiance,
If you would like to contact me, I am willing to help in any way I can for your big day. I am in Modesto. I can also help out with financials. Our website is www.rentabridalgown.com and in the contact us page is all of our information.
Kim
Owner
DRESS-LESS FIANCE wrote:
I am a victim of this companies dishonesty! wow!
I only have 35 days!
Here is the letter I sent to news 10...
Please send one of your own!
Hello News 10 !
A story just aired about a bridal boutique on Greenback Avenue that ripped off many brides in our community.
I am a VICTIM of this scam, these people have left with my wedding dress AND my money!!!
We need News 10 to air some of the victims to get help for these brides!! My wedding is THIRTY FIVE days away!!(7-7-7) With my single mom and myself paying for the wedding by ourselves, this is a BIG HIT!!
When I went to try on dresses at the store, the owners daughter told me a price, and when the owner came out.. she said "OH! I thought you were talking about another dress" (The dress contained a 899.00 price tag with a SALE stamp on it)..but she said " but I'll still sell it to you for the price my daughter quoted you.(WHICH WAS MUCH LESS) The problem is not only the MONEY lost, but also.. the BIG DOLLARS it will take to REPLACE the dress!! Any one who has shopped for dresses knows, with out a doubt, that any descent dress costs anywhere from one, two or three thousand dollars!!!
I know there are many people and bridal shops in our community who would be willing to help the many brides now left with out the items they purchased!! The dress will be tough to replace, and we need news ten to help get the word out, so the people with willing hearts can help, and the stranded brides will not be WEDDING-DRESS-LESS!
Thanks News 10!
I have the documented receipts, dates, types of payment, ect. Please contact me for a copy. I can fax it, or even scan a copy and email it to you.
Thank you for airing the story! If mom would not have seen it, we would have been "farther up the creek."
Looking forward to hearing how News 10 can help!
Thanks.....
Future Mrs. Oliveros
and the WEDDING-DRESS-LESS FIANCE !!:o(
Mira Jantz

Modesto, CA

#44 Jun 2, 2007
Unbelievable!!! If any of these brides need immdiate assistance in getting a gown, please contact us.
I am the owner of Mira Bridal Couture in Modesto.
Mira Jantz

Modesto, CA

#45 Jun 2, 2007
Have hergive me a call @ Mira Bridal Couture in Modesto.
Chad wrote:
Well This is great. We purchased four dresses through that shop in February and our wedding is on the 22nd of July. I just hope we can find someone who can supply new dresses in time. I will pursue legal action but I'm almost certain there is nothing to be recovered from this lady. Now I get to call my fiancee... Fun.
Talulah Belle

El Dorado Hills, CA

#46 Jun 4, 2007
I am a former employee of said shop and am sooo not surprised that all of this has come about. Although I was not privy to details, it seemed to be an underlying theme in the shop. Lots of calls wondering where the dress was, and then in the nic of time it arrived!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Citrus Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Urgent Carr Clinics 5 hr Ronnie 1
Change child molestation statute of limitations Jan 12 crushed spirit 1
placer County courts & the corruption continues (Apr '16) Jan 11 Haley ferguson 15
News Music rolls on at Folsom Prison 50 years after ... Jan 6 Time Flies 1
Review: Best West Express Jan 4 Robert Arias 3
I want gay sex now! (Mar '15) Jan 3 hotandreadynow 7
Looking for black in Citrus Heights. Dec 30 Nomsain 1

Citrus Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Citrus Heights Mortgages