Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
166,161 - 166,180 of 200,364 Comments Last updated 46 min ago
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's where I am with regards to the financial implications of legalizing same-gender marriage... Every equal rights movement has come with financial difficulties. There were costs with racial integration and affirmative action. There have been increased costs associated with providing accommodations for the handicapped.
The way I see it, private and public institutions got away without providing these services for decades--even centuries. It was a social expense that should have been incurred all along.
And until the equality is realized, there will be costs associated with these changes.
The system will balance itself one way or another. As you have suggested, maybe governments will decide that it's too expensive to provide benefits and protections to all married couples, so they will slash current benefits that are only available to heterosexual couples.
But until that happens, same-gender couples SHOULD HAVE access to the same benefits AND protections as opposite-gender couples.
Other countries are managing to do this. Why would the U.S. be unable to do this?
Please, refresh my memory as per the financial expense of granting equality to the Negroes? Of granting women equality?
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't read any of the documents you listed.
I am a gay man who wishes to have the right to marry another gay man who is of the age of consent and who is not related to me.
If opposite sex couples have that right, then I believe that I should have that right too.
I don't care how it comes about. I don't care if it comes about through a Supreme Court's interpretation of the Equal Protection Clause. I don't care if it come about by way of an amendment to the Constitution. I don't really give a damn how it comes about. It's what I want and what millions of other tax paying, law abiding, citizens of this country want.
You can argue about the methods we use until you are blue in the face. I do not care. Your worries about the Constitution is of absolutely no concern to me.
As I have said, many people who are much smarter and more powerful than you or I are involved in this issue.
We will get what we want, one way or another.
As Gavin Newsom said, "Whether you like it or not..." http://www.youtube.com/watch...
That may be YOUR belief, sir, but it is not shared by the majority of us. And you may not care how you gain your coveted prize, but your pursuit of it carries implications that you ignore. As stated by AKPilot. Increased governmental control. You want what you want, when you want it. To HELL with the costs, both tangible and intangible. You, like the baby crying for some yum-yums, only knows wants, not costs. "Don't care, want cookie".
This line here: "Your worries about the Constitution is of absolutely no concern to me." is frightening. The Constitution is both your "weapon" and your footmat. You will gladly sacrifice freedom to gain a pat on the head, like a simple child. OUR freedom. It is what you will gladly hand over, for your personal gratification. Granting of legitimacy, for validation of sexual gratification. Labelling perversion "legitimate" is all you care about. And the rights that you do not rate. These may be minuscule, as pointed out by Sheesh, and AK, but they are part of the issue, at least to me. I have repeatedly watched you claim that it is about rights, but your pleasure carries too high a cost for me to pay, and I say "NO".
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
You live in a world of abstraction.
I live in reality.
And when I see, for example, a man whose job is not protected by the Family Medical Leave Act, so that he can care for his seriously ill partner of 25 years, while a legally married person can do this, then I know that equality, rights, and protections are not being distributed fairly.
It is inhumane to allow a law to protect one set of people, while another set of people go unprotected--simply because of their orientation.
We live in a country where every medical and scientific association has taken homosexuality off its list of disorders--did so decades ago. Science has determined that homosexuality is a normal orientation--that it has nothing to do with a person's ability to function and contribute to society.
You want to argue procedure. Go ahead. Knock yourself out.
The rest of us will be working in reality--with real people who are dealing with real events.
Your orientation be damned. He should have thought out his choices better. He made a decision that carried costs, and he should act like it. Pay his own price, instead of asking for us to pay his bills. Parasites. And traitors.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
You are admitting you can't counter my argument.
Don't you ever get sick of being you?
I took a poll, and we all agree. You should just STFU.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, monster, you have both sets of genes, so if you got married, there would be a duplicate of one gender!:)
BTW, stupid, you don't have to be able to procreate in order to marry.
Your parents should have been sterilized, while still at the zoo...
Why gays are NOT normal

Walnut Creek, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Hi phellas- Im William Im just a dripppin cksker who luves some big honker driven up me rear end! Theres nothing like a poundin from a big hard throbin weenie. It makes me feel like the gay butt magnet I am.......and remember this: I am as NORMAL as any other person, just because I like a hard drivin anal pounding by a man , dont think Im not normal.\ ahahahahahahhhhhhhhhhhhh
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you keep your postings trelevant? Stop trying to suppress the opinions of valid Americans, who have more of a right to equal treatment than do you. You're a damn Fascist. YOU piss off.
Jizzy says I am a white power skinhead. And he says he has my "number". Jizzy is very stupid and angry.

P.S. I am the only white guy in my family. All my descendents are Asian with a touch more or less of Grandpa Frankie.

P.P.S. I wonder what my number is? Jizzy says he's got it. But I bet he won't tell me. I'd like to play it in the lottery.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
I took a poll, and we all agree. You should just STFU.
Excellent post. Thanks for sharing.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I will continue to stomp my feet until I get what I want.
"Like a petulant child, in full blown 'I want' mode"
When Proposition 8 passed in CA, over 10,000 people raced to San Francisco's City Hall so that we could stomp our feet in unison. We continued to stomp our feet and challenged the new policy legally and politically until it came before Judge Walker. He and the three person appellate court ruled that the proposition was--say it with me "UNCONSTITUTIONAL"!
"He was gay, and made a decision that he wasn't empowered to make"
Do you have some kind of keen insight that these people and all of their associates do not have?
"Not keen insight, just a plain acknowledgement of the facts previously stated, that Hizzonor made a choice that was based on personal bias, and political and financial pressure"
My guess is that you're just another schlub with anger issues.
"You're the stomping, petulant ones who are willing to sink the ship, to gain undeserved fruit"
You get on here and try to pick fights. I'm not interested.
"Your label of "picking fights" is a poor, lame and false assertion. He presents facts, and you whine about it."
I state my case and my beliefs.
"Yes, you have made your wants known."
If you don't want to respond to them, I am happy to be ignored by the likes of you.
"While you receive the cookie."
If you want to feel superior, then by all means do so.
"We are. We bring a full tool set to the table, while you do not."
This is a forum where ideas and beliefs are discussed.
If you want to run it like it's your own personal playpen, I've got news for you; it's not going to happen.
"Actually, it's not a playpen, it's a discussion forum, and you dislike the resistance."
Go create your own topic. I'm sure you'll find all sorts of people who would LOVE to get into these procedural arguments with you.
"He doesn't need to leave, merely because you pointed your finger."
Until you don the black dress and bang a gavel in a real courtroom, your opinion is worth about as much as mine.
"His is worth it's weight in gold, as it is based upon the document that you alternately wield and defecate upon, depending upon your whim-of-the-moment."
So, there's all that...
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me break it down to two words:
Equal rights.
Bogus. Men have the same rights as women. Marriage is for 1 of each. Else, we'd better strike those labels outside of the bathrooms, denoting gender differences.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
When did we start discussing your face?
You're so childish.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
That opinion, plus fifty cents, gets you Jack Schitt.
And your opinion plus fifty cents gets you Manny Schitt?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
So, there's all that...
Too funny! He is a long winded jackass isn't he. I usually doze off about 1/3 through I must confess.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
#1 you may think you are a duplicate of every other man, but you are no duplicate of me that is for sure, I actually use my brain
#2 procreation in either intent or ability has never ever been a requirement for a marriage lincence
do you have any other points you need squashed so easily?
You may think that setting him up, complete with the putting of words into his mouth, enables you to squash his arguments, but it does not, as he has not said the words that you would dearly love for him to have said, when you attacked him for saying those words that he did not say....Get it?
Oh, and it's "license", not "lincence", or "incense" or whatever you were trying to say, when you pretended that he said something that he didn't say, even though his punctuation and grammar were way beyond yours...
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
We can't win a rigged game, no. Your failure to admit simple truths leaves us at an impasse.
Which simple truth is that?

That there are over 120,000 legally married same sex couples now in the US

In the millions worldwide?

Or that California legally recognizes same sex couples right now, some 18,000 of them? And other same sex couples are being denied equal rights?

That the desire, intent or ability to have children has never been a requirement for a marriage license?

Which simple truth?
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be an excercise in futility to debate the Constitutionality of something woth someone who self admittedly is ignorant of the subject matter.
What do you base your opinion on?
Feelings of inadequacy, I would imagine..And poor impulse control.
Pebbles

Carthage, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Uh Oh!
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
You may think that setting him up, complete with the putting of words into his mouth, enables you to squash his arguments, but it does not, as he has not said the words that you would dearly love for him to have said, when you attacked him for saying those words that he did not say....Get it?
Oh, and it's "license", not "lincence", or "incense" or whatever you were trying to say, when you pretended that he said something that he didn't say, even though his punctuation and grammar were way beyond yours...
I didnít, they keep bringing up procreation as an argument against same sex marriage and I just keep reminding them that has no place in this argument.

And thank you I agree, when you argue with a child and they canít stand up to what you are saying they go after you personally, or criticize spelling or typos or what have you... I agree, you cannot stand up to the argument
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, time for breakfast. I think this morning I'll have the VV meltdown special.
Made with cracked eggs, and broken yolks..
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Headers wrote:
When your crazy and have been brain-washed by a religion for hundreds of years this is what you get, an oppressed female being told by her slave master's to lie, cheat and steal for Allah.
The mother of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects insisted (screamed) that her sons are not responsible for the attack and said she did not see any aggression in the older brother, even when the FBI questioned him two years ago.
Begs the question of why the FBI needed to talk to him 2 years ago?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Citrus Discussions

Search the Citrus Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 29 min rain or snow to slow 15,928
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 31 min Abrahem 7,849
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 35 min tail pipe 4,898
For Paul Cook 40 min Oops 3
Baldwin Park officials seek restraining order o... 53 min End of Story 4
Cook Wins Tafoya Lozano BIG Losers 1 hr Funny Story 9
Waste Management Raising Rates thanks Teri Muse 1 hr Oh Yes 12
•••
•••
•••
Citrus Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Citrus Jobs