Review: PlyGem Windows

Posted in the Citrus Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
James

Covina, CA

#1 Mar 6, 2010
Anyone know anything about PlyGem Windows? Never heard of them. PlyGem makes vinyl windows and doors. Are PlyGem Windows good quality? How is PlyGem's warranty service? Please post if you have have PlyGem Windows installed in your home.
Richard

United States

#2 Apr 9, 2010
Ply Gem Windows bought Certainteed Windows a few years back. Ply Gem Windows is located in Corona, CA. Ply Gem Windows make many different levels of vinyl windows. All Ply Gem windows and doors come with a Limited Lifetime Warranty. Ply Gem Warranty is transferable for 5 years. Ply Gem Window Warranty does not cover glass breakage on its windows or doors.

Two different levels (Vinyl)
Ply Gem Builder Grade Windows (Low End Quality)
- Ply Gem Builders / Contractors Series 400 500 460
- Pro Series 100 200 700 960s 980s

Ply Gem Premium Grade Windows
- Premium Series 1000

Ply Gem Premium Hinge Doors
- Premium Series Hinge Door 960h

Premium Series is very good.
Darryl

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Jun 12, 2010
I'm replacing old windows in my 15yr old home..Cheap Acorn windows were installed when my model home was built back then....I'm considering Ply-Gem window replacements...I've never heard of this brand of window before the construction company builder making the bid offered them to me....I was also offered another type of window through Home Depot home install service, another one I've never heard of before either...A brand named Simonton.....Which is the better brand?
Any comments would be much appreciated...thanks
Keith

Maple Grove, MN

#4 Aug 2, 2010
I had Ply Gem windows installed in my house in 2001 and twice in the last nine years I've had to replace several windows where the seal has broken. The warrenty covers the replacement glass, but the the labor to replace it. I'm not happy with this product.
Keith

Maple Grove, MN

#5 Aug 2, 2010
That should be "The warrenty covers the replacement glass, but NOT the labor to replace it. I'm not happy with this product."
Paul

Lynwood, CA

#6 Aug 9, 2010
I think the Ply Gem Window warranty is different depending on where you live. I live in Califonia and Ply Gem would not send me glass unless I paid for it. Two windows with cracked glass cost me $760 to fix. I had to find my own installer to do it. Service and product are not great.
jim

Santa Clara, CA

#7 Aug 12, 2010
plygem has several levels of product. The builder grade window is just that builder grade no a great window at all. The next level is pro-series, if you look at this product get the upgraded spacer which is called Weplus. This is a better spacer its a warm edge spacer. The next series is called Preium 1000 which has foam in the frame and can be dual pane as well as triple pane with argon gas between the glass and it comes with the we plus spacer. Plygem is also connected to Great Lakes which is out of the midwest and they also have foam filled vinyl products called seabrook and uniframe which also can be dual pane or triple pane with argon and the Uniframe can also come with Krypton which is better then argon.
jeff

Rochester, MN

#8 Sep 15, 2010
Keith wrote:
I had Ply Gem windows installed in my house in 2001 and twice in the last nine years I've had to replace several windows where the seal has broken. The warrenty covers the replacement glass, but the the labor to replace it. I'm not happy with this product.
You could have read the factory warranty before buying the product. Also the company you hired could have installed the glass for you at no charge. Many companies will do this. There is not a window on the market that cover labor for life. Anderson, Marvin and Pella only have a two labor warranty.
jeff

Rochester, MN

#9 Sep 15, 2010
Darryl wrote:
I'm replacing old windows in my 15yr old home..Cheap Acorn windows were installed when my model home was built back then....I'm considering Ply-Gem window replacements...I've never heard of this brand of window before the construction company builder making the bid offered them to me....I was also offered another type of window through Home Depot home install service, another one I've never heard of before either...A brand named Simonton.....Which is the better brand?
Simonton is a hollow vinyl window that will do an ok job in cold weather. The best window is the Plygem with triple pane glass.
Theresa

Fort Collins, CO

#10 Sep 19, 2010
We purchased PlyGem Uniframe windows. We are very unhappy with the product. The screens do not fit securely, so moths and the like can easily enter. The windows also are designed poorly such that they leak inside the house. We have contacted the PlyGem representative for the area.(Colorado) He came to check out the situation - then did nothing to help us. We have tried to contact him several times and no response.
PlyGem sells their windows under different names. They also sell to various customized resellers (and the window names are different by reseller)- in Colorado the reseller is Gravina's. Gravina's will not support you as a customer either. Never consider buying from Gravina's.
Don't by the PlyGem family of windows.
zOILA

Trafford, PA

#11 Sep 23, 2010
HORRIBLE WINDOWS.........EXTREMELLY SHIP QUALITY!!!!!
SCREEN... I HAVE NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE HOW UPSAD I AM
I PAID A LOT OF MONEY THINKING I WOULD GET A GOOD WINDOW... GOD..WHY IS PEOPLE LIKE PLY GEM WINDOWS
EXTREMELY POOR QUALITY, POOR, POOR, POOR
annarama

Duncannon, PA

#12 Oct 3, 2010
I'm considering Ply Gem Pro Series double hung, vs. Window World, York PA 6000 Series. Any comments, please. Thanks in advance.
John M

Troy, MI

#13 Oct 19, 2010
Darryl wrote:
I have bought Simonton windows 6 years ago but where not from Home Depot. I sent more for the triple pane and well woth the additional cost. Look for a Simonton dealer in your area and look at the 9800 series
Sherry

Billings, MT

#14 Nov 4, 2010
We are considering buying Plygem Premium series Grandview 5000 dual pane argon filled replacement windows. They seem very expensive. Does anyone have any info on the quality of these windows, and whether the company is a good one to deal with? Any info would be appreciated.
Darryl

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Dec 5, 2010
Sherry wrote:
We are considering buying Plygem Premium series Grandview 5000 dual pane argon filled replacement windows. They seem very expensive. Does anyone have any info on the quality of these windows, and whether the company is a good one to deal with? Any info would be appreciated.

I went with the premium replacment Ply-Gem windows....so far so good, and my heating bill has been almost cut in half.... but I will watch my seals very closely...the construction company that installed them will stand behind the product...The most important part is who installs them(very critical)! even the best window in the world will fail if not installed properly
Christy

Carmichael, CA

#16 Dec 10, 2010
So it sounds like PlyGem windows isnt a good window.Does nayone one know good window comapny??
Jeff

Ontario, CA

#17 Dec 10, 2010
In California Ply Gem's Warranty is lifetime for the original owner but does not cover glass breakage or screen warranty at all. This means if your glass breaks Ply Gem will not send you replacement glass. For the next owner labor is only covered for 5 years from the build date which means after 5 years no warranty at all.

Here is the link for both West and East Coast.
http://www.plygemwindows.com/svc_warranties.a...
Alicia

San Marcos, CA

#18 Jan 5, 2011
Jeff wrote:
In California Ply Gem's Warranty is lifetime for the original owner but does not cover glass breakage or screen warranty at all. This means if your glass breaks Ply Gem will not send you replacement glass. For the next owner labor is only covered for 5 years from the build date which means after 5 years no warranty at all.
Here is the link for both West and East Coast.
http://www.plygemwindows.com/svc_warranties.a...
in California, the PlyGem warranty is transferrable to the second owner for a period of 20 years from the date of original installation. The labor warranty expires after 5 years from install date, only to the second owner. Glass brakage is not included in PlyGem's warranty, but what consumers should understand is that the Manufacturers that offer a glass breakage warranty are not giving it to you for free. The cost for glass breakage is added into the cost for every window, usually making those windows more expensive. The consumer needs to decide if they want to pay for the possibilty of every window in their home breaking or just pay once when or if that event actually takes place. I have owned a home for 13 years and have never had a window break.
Alicia

San Marcos, CA

#19 Jan 5, 2011
Christy wrote:
So it sounds like PlyGem windows isnt a good window.Does nayone one know good window comapny??
Plygem is actually a good quality window, if you are interested in a standard vinyl window with good performance numbers (energy efficiency)at an affordable price. They have a sound warranty and in California, good customer service. Plygem is like comparing apples to apples to Milgard, Anlin, Amsco, Simonton, just to name a few. Most vinyl manufacturers have several different window series, usually low, mid and high grade. The low end windows are very basic and are directed toward the builders, apt bldgs, rental units because cost wise they are cheaper. One of the most important things in purchasing replacement windows(which no one has mentioned yet) is who is doing the install. Make sure the company is reputable, has references, longevity or experience. Your local Better Business Bureau is a good place to start. Bottom line is that no matter how good the window is or how sound the warranty is, if it is not properly installed all of the previous goes out the window (no pun intended).
Alicia

San Marcos, CA

#20 Jan 5, 2011
Keith wrote:
Seal failure in double or triple pane windows is more common than most people would think. Expansion or contraction and houses settling or moving usually contribute to this happening, as we do not live in a perfect world. Sometimes there is a particular anomoly that occured during the production process to cause this, especially if it occurs in several units produced at the same time. All it usually takes is a pin size hole in the glazing glue used to seal the glass units to the spacer to casue seal failure. Moisture gets in, but cannot escape. If the company you purchased your double pane windows from will replace them for free for as long as you own your home (even if it is only materials) then you are way ahead of the game and should be grateful. Many people have bought windows from companies that are no longer in business. These are the unfortunate victims of the downturned economy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Citrus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Organized crime on the rise in the San Gabriel ... (Aug '09) 9 hr jabroni 84
Republicans road fund complaints wrong 11 hr balloon busted 4
California CEQA stays put (Aug '12) 17 hr push them 2
Pope Accidentally Gouges Out Child's Eye 19 hr Blow George 3
News Colby Fire Scorches 1,700 Acres (Jan '14) Jun '14 Charade 59
News Area Police Officer Shoots Suspect in Domestic ... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Sunset 2
News Two taggers caught in Azusa (Sep '08) Apr '14 True art and expr... 41
More from around the web

Citrus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]