Protesters target pet store

Protesters target pet store

There are 33 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Nov 12, 2011, titled Protesters target pet store. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

COLUMBIA TWP. - A new pet store is coming under fire by local animal rescue volunteers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
dog lover

Eden Prairie, MN

#1 Nov 21, 2011
There is no place in Mariemont OR ANYWHERE for a pet store that sells puppies. There are an overwhelming number of dogs, including puppies if you have to have one, available at our local shelters.
PLEASE,PLEASE go the a breed specific rescue group or shelter for a wonderful companion.
pops

Loveland, OH

#2 Nov 21, 2011
dog lover wrote:
There is no place in Mariemont OR ANYWHERE for a pet store that sells puppies. There are an overwhelming number of dogs, including puppies if you have to have one, available at our local shelters.
PLEASE,PLEASE go the a breed specific rescue group or shelter for a wonderful companion.
Why Not?? Sounds like a closed minded opinion to me. What if someone wants breeding papers with their animal? Or wants more history than a shelter can supply? Or a breed NOT at the shelter. Or a non-neutered/spayed animal?
I simply can not understand your 1st sentence.
The Real Truth-T

Loveland, OH

#3 Nov 22, 2011
Dog Lover... A bit of semantics don't you think? A store sells puppies, you pay a fee to a shelter to get one.

The difference?

If you're wonder we got our's at the shelter. All that matters is a good home.....
pops

Loveland, OH

#5 Nov 23, 2011
good point T
yamaharacer

Florence, KY

#6 Nov 23, 2011
stores sell animals from puppy mills. they don't sell dogs like a breeder does. I think that's what dog lover is actually refering to.

and animal shelters are already over run by strays that will have to be put down. there is no reason to buy a dog from a pet store.
pops

Loveland, OH

#7 Nov 24, 2011
yamaharacer wrote:
stores sell animals from puppy mills. they don't sell dogs like a breeder does. I think that's what dog lover is actually refering to.
and animal shelters are already over run by strays that will have to be put down. there is no reason to buy a dog from a pet store.
Stores don't have to buy from 'puppy mills' & good reputable stores do not. It is the irresponsible pet owner that supplies the shelters, & they come from all walks of life. Mostly from the non-thinking parent that thinks their cild(ren) need a pet & have no idea what a responsability it is.
Personally I have never bought a dog or cat. There are plenty out there posted free on community brds & word of mouth. I help keep them from going to shelters or bad homes to begin with.
animal rights activist

Germantown, OH

#8 Feb 9, 2012
pet stores are horrible...... certain pet stores have come under fire many times over the years with law suits. i feel so sorry for all the animals in pet stores a lot of the dogs are from puppy mill breeders who arent in it for the breed but for only the money. yeah you might get a dog with a pedigree or akc papers but that still dosent mean that the breeder who is selling his or her dogs isnt running a puppy mill or inbreeding practices with in the breed they are selling. what does that say about the breeders who sell there puppies to petstores knowing full well that they are going to be in a small space teased by children tapping on the glass and hitting it yelling at the dogs teasing them.good reputable breeders do not sell to pet stores because they love animals and they want the right person or family to get one of there animals.
Southern Lady

United States

#9 Feb 19, 2012
Actually, most of the pets are accidents. Maybe it's time to require a pet to be spayed or neutered PRIOR to sale. After all, they can now sterilze young puppies. As for the rescue and shelter pets, they are more expensive than a lot of pets that are available. And more restrictive. Some refuse to adopt to you if you are going to have them as working dogs who MIGHT spend a night outside once in a while. They want you to prove you have a history with a veterinarian. Not all shelters and rescues will allow a qualified person to adopt. Sometimes they will reject a person that is fully qualified and THEN that person will go for the puppy mill dog. And take great care of it.

Joe Chit

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#10 Feb 25, 2012
Southern Lady wrote:
Actually, most of the pets are accidents. Maybe it's time to require a pet to be spayed or neutered PRIOR to sale. After all, they can now sterilze young puppies. As for the rescue and shelter pets, they are more expensive than a lot of pets that are available. And more restrictive. Some refuse to adopt to you if you are going to have them as working dogs who MIGHT spend a night outside once in a while. They want you to prove you have a history with a veterinarian. Not all shelters and rescues will allow a qualified person to adopt. Sometimes they will reject a person that is fully qualified and THEN that person will go for the puppy mill dog. And take great care of it.
Welcome to the United States of America where pets are property. They can be bought, sold, used for trade or work. Domestic animals are property. I love my two little house dogs and my three outside cats. Don't tell me what to do with my animals and I will give you the very same courtesy. Would you like someone to tell you not to use birth control? I think not. I hunt and fish and a nice place for the animals I hunt is next to the mashed potatoes and gravy. I just had a beef with big brown eyes and a happy look killed yesterday. Southern Lady come by and we will grill out a steak. Your Southern Gentleman friend Joe. See you in Warsaw.
pops

Loveland, OH

#11 Feb 25, 2012
IF someone would actually read the story they would learn that the owners have their own breeding farm & a specific network of 10 other breeders. Sounds selective to me.
I bet if someone asked to see their farm, they could say OK.
In my life I have raised Guinea Pigs, rabbits and birds to supply pet stores or even sell 'out the door'. People could come inside & pick the personality, color, gender, size or whatever. I had nothing to hide. In fact, people appreciated seeing the conditions that I raised them in. The rabbits & guinea pigs had plenty of room. In fact they had multilevel homes with rooms, walls to run around or hop over that I enjoyed building.I eventually gave it up because I couldn't ever get a vacation. It's 7 days a week 52 weeks a year.
Southern Lady

Dayton, OH

#12 Feb 26, 2012
There is a huge difference in breeding for quality and breeding just to have pups to sell. A good breeder will screen applicants wanting to buy their animals. A backyard breeder doesn't care what happens to their animals. And they don't care if the animals are bred to siblings or if they have hidden illnesses. There is always more than one side to an issue.
animal rights activist

Germantown, OH

#13 Feb 26, 2012
Southern Lady wrote:
For the most part your wrong southern lady alot of dogs and cats that are avilable in cincinnati at diffrent shelters arent that much you can get a dog from sharonville spca for 20 dollars and there spayed or nutered and our usually up to date on shots and a heart worm preventative.there are other shelters in cincinnati and ohio that are higher but most are at the most 150 dollars and are up to date on shots spayed or nutered microchipped . if your looking to get a dog from a reputable breeder that has history of the pedigree line and akc or ukc papers health guarentee free from hip displasia with in the blood line or any other ilness that could be specific to that breed of dog that the breed is know to getting later in life. every breed is known for certain health concerns for example hip displasia, tumorous cancer, bone cancer,thiroid problems,breathing problems, heat tolerance, cold tolerance just to name a few. good breeders try to breed these common problems out of the specific breed. there are not many strict guidlines in american for breeding but in germany and europe and france they have very strict guidlines with breeding and breeding has to be approved.prices here in america typically range from 300 to 2000 dollars for a well breed pure breed dog, they will back up the health guarentee on there puppies usually for a year can show the bloodline of the breed how far back it goes. the puppies are usually born with in the persons home they are members of the family not just a dog.... family members.before you speak southern lady you need to know what your talking about. hope this helps.
pops

Loveland, OH

#14 Feb 26, 2012
Southern Lady wrote:
There is a huge difference in breeding for quality and breeding just to have pups to sell. A good breeder will screen applicants wanting to buy their animals. A backyard breeder doesn't care what happens to their animals. And they don't care if the animals are bred to siblings or if they have hidden illnesses. There is always more than one side to an issue.
I started to judge 'disagree' to your post but then I realized that I do agree with your 1st, 3rd & 4th sentences. I can't solidly agree with your 2nd sentence because even a serious sellers 'screening' of a buyer can hardly go past the face to face at time of purchase. There is NO affidavites or references of the buyer that would mean squat. YES, a seller can refuse to sell based on this contact & I am sure that some do, but it's limited.
Your last sentence applies to just about everything in life including politics, parenting, sins, vices, what is tall or short, pretty or ugly so I'll just not comment further on that one.
BUT your comments/statements have sort of transitioned from your earlier ones.
Southern Lady

Dayton, OH

#15 Feb 27, 2012
The animal shelter in Butler county once turned down a prospective adopter because he wanted to adopt a herding dog to work on his farm. When asked if the animal would spend the night outside her said that the dog would be an inside dog except for those times when it rolled in manure or was sprayed by a skunk. Then it might spend the night out in the barn. They turned him down. There were letters to the editor complaining about this incident. And right now, with the economy the way it is there are thousands of animals that need homes. I've worked in rescues and it's heartbreaking. It's hard on the animals that need homes. Some sellers actually have an agreement that they will take the animal back if it doesn't work out. The pet store will sell a mixed breed oops puppy for hundreds of dollars. They may have bought it for 20 bucks from someone who has a litter and needs to get rid of the pup. I have a lot of mixed feelings about the issue. Too many pets are not bred for quality. I don't know where you live but I see 2-3 and sometimes 4 columns of ads every day in the local paper. To breed an animal for the best traits is not a problem. It's all the others that pump out puppys to make a buck and know they have problems.
Blank

Big Stone Gap, VA

#16 Feb 27, 2012
Joe Chit wrote:
<quoted text>Welcome to the United States of America where pets are property. They can be bought, sold, used for trade or work. Domestic animals are property. I love my two little house dogs and my three outside cats. Don't tell me what to do with my animals and I will give you the very same courtesy. Would you like someone to tell you not to use birth control? I think not. I hunt and fish and a nice place for the animals I hunt is next to the mashed potatoes and gravy. I just had a beef with big brown eyes and a happy look killed yesterday. Southern Lady come by and we will grill out a steak. Your Southern Gentleman friend Joe. See you in Warsaw.
"SoutherN Gentleman" translated means: a fat-assed, low IQ redneck, in a trailer park! Can you spell "w-h-i-t-e t-r-a-s-h?" HA!!
animal rights activist

Germantown, OH

#17 Feb 27, 2012
i agree southern lady it is heartbreaking all the thousands upon thousands of animals in shelters.... and alot of it is due to idiot people who should never own a dog in the first place.... for example they get a puppy and its cute yes it is but that puppy is gonna grown and get bigger and become mature mentally and phisically.lets say the dog is a german shepherd for example a great dog by the way in the hands of a responceible owner and experienced dog owner. well that puppy is now a adult the family never takes there dog for walks or has any toys for the dog to stimulate his mind there never home and they come home one day and he has ripped a part of the couch out. this is just a small example it wasnt the dogs falt poor ownership and they take it to the shelter and say they cant do anything with there dog and whos fault is it the humans. they got this puppy on pure emotions didnt do any research on german sheperds didnt know what they were even getting in to. the time and dedication thats involved.
pops

Loveland, OH

#18 Feb 27, 2012
personally I have had few pedigree dogs. Most were lovable mutts. One was a spayed German Sheperd that I took from someone else. When her hips got so arthritic that it would take her a long time to get up, I had her put down. Let this be an example of proper pet care responsbilities of pet owners that you were talking about ARA.
Another was a Black and Tan who's mother choked on a bone with a 5 or 6 day old litter of 9 pups. Only 3 survived. My mom & I bottle fed two of the survivors. I kept one & gave the other one away at 8-9 weeks. A very proud accomplishment.

Joe Chit

Location hidden

#19 Feb 28, 2012
Southern Lady wrote:
Well Southern Lady if I was to breed you it would be for fun and quality. Meet me in Warsaw, Joe

Joe Chit

Location hidden

#20 Feb 28, 2012
Blank wrote:
<quoted text>"SoutherN Gentleman" translated means: a fat-assed, low IQ redneck, in a trailer park! Can you spell "w-h-i-t-e t-r-a-s-h?" HA!!
Blank, describes that area between your ears. The next thing an idiot like you will want to do is give dogs and cats the right to vote. That may be OK. I know they would vote Obama out, especially the coon dogs.
pops

Loveland, OH

#21 Feb 28, 2012
'Pets' can be family & often are family.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cincinnati Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man With World's Worst Forehead Tattoo Is Arres... 9 hr OneWomynRiot 6
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 12 hr why 21,286
who's taking our children Mon POPS 4
Boycott Waynesville! (Nov '16) Oct 15 Tim 16
News Sex, lies cost doctor license for two years (Nov '08) Oct 12 Guest 21
Remove Fountain Square ? Oct 12 Richard 2
Tessah Carter Oct 9 Cincydude 7

Cincinnati Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cincinnati Mortgages