Trash fee may be plan to ease tax hit

Trash fee may be plan to ease tax hit

There are 11 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 28, 2008, titled Trash fee may be plan to ease tax hit. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Dreyer & Reinbold BMW VW Great Deals at Dreyer & Reinbold Greenwood on New and Pre-Owned Certified BMW, Infiniti, Volkswagen and now Subaru!. Click for Details! Tom Wood Volkswagen Looking for a Price Quote? ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Concerned

Fishers, IN

#1 Feb 28, 2008
What's the point of passing property tax reform if the City is then just going to pass the tax off onto a new trash fee? I don't get it. If I get into a budget crunch with my home finances I tighten my belt a little bit. Local government needs to learn how to tighten it's belt.
Cherry Streeter

United States

#2 Feb 28, 2008
Come on. We already pay more for waste management than most. Family in Carmel's combined water and sewer is less than what we pay in sewer alone. We need to look for efficiencies, not trade-offs.
Thomas

Mishawaka, IN

#3 Feb 28, 2008
Why would you expect services to stay the same when you have less money to work with? It's the same as home finances - you have to cut things out of the budget, like free trash pick up.
"We don't want to pay taxes, and we don't want to lose services!" Good luck with that.
mike

Elmhurst, IL

#4 Feb 28, 2008
I wouldn't mind paying for trash service, but they will have to do a way better job than they do now.
last week, they forgot to empty one of my cans, but what can I say, it's free. The trash truck driver dumps his front load into the back as he drives around my corner, which is wrong, but what can I say, it's free
Sick-n-Tired

United States

#5 Feb 28, 2008
The Lord gives and the government taketh away. Quit whining and vote these people out of office who flagerantly spend our money to better their lives,not ours. I was really disturbed after the election here in Noblesville to see a picture of our good Mayor Ditsler on the front cover of the paper with the caption above reading "Cha - Ching". I guess I seen this coming. He sure spared no expense or tightened his belt when it came to the new City Hall.
Karen C

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Feb 28, 2008
Here we go, give the tax payers a break and make them pay for it another way.
In todays paper alone we the tax payers are to pay $ 1/2 million for a survey and design work to American Structure Point, 1.5 Million for the Olio Road bridge, and wait we will have $2 million left for landscaping, trails and signage on that project. Then there is the $3.1 Million for the street departments new building.
Ok so you say it is just $10 each month for trash pick up. Well how about in a few years when it jumps to $15. then on and on. Have you ever had a service provided that didn't increase over time?
How about the older people in the community that live on a fixed income?Or how about the home owners who are fighting not to lose there house. What if they can't pay this fee? Do you turn off there water and sewage?
What if we don't want the city to pick up our trash and just let it lay in the alley for all our neighbors to enjoy? Will you still charge us a fee for a service we don't use?
I would think it would be very important to all our leaders to not only preserve Noblesville but to keep it clean.
I will let you in on a little secret that my husband and I have learned over the years. If you can't afford it don't buy it! If money is tight cut back where you can and stop spending on wants, focus on needs. Just because the neighbors have it dosen't mean you need it.
Now how much money did we spend on those new bikes we put in the schools?

“I loooove flowers!”

Since: Feb 07

www.numbersusa.com

#7 Feb 29, 2008
Mayor Ditsler, and other Mayors and public officials of Hamilton County,

It would be in your best interests to hold down spending instead of just creating other fees for Hamilton County if you want to keep your jobs.

Quit building Taj Mahals for government.
taxpayer

Fishers, IN

#8 Feb 29, 2008
mike wrote:
I wouldn't mind paying for trash service, but they will have to do a way better job than they do now.
last week, they forgot to empty one of my cans, but what can I say, it's free. The trash truck driver dumps his front load into the back as he drives around my corner, which is wrong, but what can I say, it's free
it ain't free! you have been paying for it all along-the only difference is that now instead of being between the lines now it will be a line item. Nothing is free! That is like saying a tax refund is a gift
Leo

Florence, KY

#9 Feb 29, 2008
mike wrote:
I'm sorry, I don't understand. Could you help to educate me as to how it is free??
Leo

Florence, KY

#10 Feb 29, 2008
As long as I can opt out and contract for my own trash collection, I couldn't care less. What do you all think my chances are to opt out? "Our" government has become a totalitarian monopoly.
Only One More Important

Brownsburg, IN

#11 Feb 29, 2008
Only one person more important than the Trashman.

The Undertaker.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cicero Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Brainard says Carmel could add deputy mayor pos... Aug 4 bertha 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) Aug 3 IMHO 93
Westfield Police Sargent Robert Dine Harassing ... (Mar '13) Jul 30 Dine is a douche 3
News Noblesville, New Pal celebrate civic pride in m... Jul 30 K - DJ 1
News Trump, Pence don't agree on key social, economi... Jul '16 Tre H 14
News Anti-Obama display in Indiana July 4th parade c... Jul '16 Jack 20
Brad ClarkWarning !!!!!!!!!!! (Jan '16) Jan '16 Yep 1

Cicero Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cicero Mortgages