"Open Carry" Gun Bill Introduced in Texas

Jan 24, 2013 Full story: KQXT-FM San Antonio 19

State Rep George Lavender today introduced a bill to allow 'open carry,' meaning anybody who passes a Concealed Handgun License course can carry their handgun visibly, like a police officer.

Full Story

Since: Feb 11

Turn around - and bend over.

#1 Jan 24, 2013
Thank goodness Georgie Lavender isn't my state rep.

I'd be soooooooooo embarassed.
Jeremy Price

Texarkana, AR

#2 Jan 24, 2013
Maurice Goober wrote:
I for one, am happy that Rep. Lavender, has introduced this common sense legislation. It's about time for Texas to come around on the gun issue.
Old Valley Girl

Cleburne, TX

#3 Jan 24, 2013
Maurice Goober wrote:

You're too stupid to have anyone represent you.
Oh No She Didnt

Texarkana, AR

#4 Jan 24, 2013
Old Valley Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
You're too stupid to have anyone represent you.
Pot, meet kettle.
Old Valley Girl

Cleburne, TX

#5 Jan 24, 2013
Oh No She Didnt wrote:
<quoted text>Pot, meet kettle.
Watch it.
nanette

Cibolo, TX

#6 Jan 25, 2013
i am for open carrying of weapons, maybe it will make the crooks, as well as anyone wanting to harm other people think twice before they try something stupid.
joea

Plano, TX

#7 Jan 25, 2013
Maurice Goober wrote:
Goober indeed. I'd be proud to be represented by Mr. Lavender, and I'm writing my elected representative (Jeff Leach) right this minute to express my support for HB700 (that means "House Bill 700").

Since: Jul 10

Texarkana, AR

#8 Jan 26, 2013
We shall see if this gets out of committee. There will probably only be one of two bills that makes it out of committee. The two are the open carry, and the campus carry. More than likely it will be the campus carry bill that actually makes it to the floor for a vote.
Canon

Texarkana, TX

#9 Jan 29, 2013
Maurice Goober wrote:
Go away Goober!

Since: Nov 10

Lewisburg, PA

#10 Jan 30, 2013
I have mixed feelings about getting a CHL even though I've got a couple of really nice 'carry' weapons. I'd like to get one but it just stands to reason that in the event the feds decide to confiscate weapons the CHL databases are the first places they'll look. And I am NOT one of the black helicopter clan. Thoughts.

Texarkana, AR

#11 Jan 30, 2013
What guns do you think the feds are going to confiscate? All of them? Have you read the Heller and Mc Donald decisions from the SCOTUS?

I had a guy call about a CHL Class, was all geared up to take it, then called back and said he listened to something on freedom 107 and they said the same thing that you suggested, that the CHL database will be used to confiscate guns. I am glad he decided to back out of the class, because folks that listen to nonsense like that and believe it probably don't need to be carrying daily.

Texas would never turn over a list of CHL holders to the federal gov., and Texas has laws on the books which prohibit confiscation of firearms. In fact there is proposed legislation this session which would oppose any law the feds come up with regarding such actions and make it a crime to act on any fed. law, or executive order.

You can read it here. http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/His...

I am not trying to offend you, but it really is a silly line of thinking.

Lewisburg, PA

#12 Jan 30, 2013
farronwolf wrote:
What guns do you think the feds are going to confiscate? All of them? Have you read the Heller and Mc Donald decisions from the SCOTUS?
I had a guy call about a CHL Class, was all geared up to take it, then called back and said he listened to something on freedom 107 and they said the same thing that you suggested, that the CHL database will be used to confiscate guns. I am glad he decided to back out of the class, because folks that listen to nonsense like that and believe it probably don't need to be carrying daily.
Texas would never turn over a list of CHL holders to the federal gov., and Texas has laws on the books which prohibit confiscation of firearms. In fact there is proposed legislation this session which would oppose any law the feds come up with regarding such actions and make it a crime to act on any fed. law, or executive order.
You can read it here. http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/His...
I am not trying to offend you, but it really is a silly line of thinking.
No offense taken but surely you are aware of Article VI Clause 2 of the US Constitution and subsequent court rulings under Article III as to nullification. What then ? The cases you cite do not speak to the governments ability to register or confiscate.

Texarkana, AR

#13 Jan 31, 2013
There are also some recent cases in which the 9th and 14th amendments have come into play.

Heller and McDonald rulings could be used as a defense against "confiscation" of firearms that are commonly held for defensive purposes.

We will have to see what happens, but I don't think any real changes will take place.
Tom Horn

United States

#14 Jan 31, 2013
farronwolf wrote:
There are also some recent cases in which the 9th and 14th amendments have come into play.
Heller and McDonald rulings could be used as a defense against "confiscation" of firearms that are commonly held for defensive purposes.
We will have to see what happens, but I don't think any real changes will take place.
x

Which might those be?

Texarkana, AR

#15 Jan 31, 2013
I believe it was the 7th Circuit moore v madigahn, which was a case in IL, I think Chicago, which pretty much bans any firearms.

United States

#16 Jan 31, 2013
farronwolf wrote:
I believe it was the 7th Circuit moore v madigahn, which was a case in IL, I think Chicago, which pretty much bans any firearms.
Thanks, I'll look it up.

Lewisburg, PA

#17 Feb 1, 2013
farronwolf wrote:
I read the Moore vs. Madigan ruling by the 7th Circuit and could find no mention of the 9th or 14th amendments:

Link: http://www.ca7.uscourts.gov/tmp/PF074Q59.pdf

but in researching it I found this regarding the 14th as it applies to the 2nd and it is not reassuring at all:

Link: http://tenthamendmentcenter.com/2012/12/30/pr...

Have a nice day.

Texarkana, AR

#18 Feb 2, 2013
I guess that wasn't the case. Would have to look into it further.
StumpWater

Fouke, AR

#19 Feb 2, 2013
I'm pro gun. Open carry is plain stupid. Keep hearing people say it will make the criminals think twice. How stupid is that? I don't care if the criminal thinks or not but a visible gun will make them think about knocking u over the head when your back is turned and pistol whipping or killing you. Concealed carry is much safer for the carrier. Open carry equals no element of suprise. Concealed give the carrier an element of suprise. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cibolo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 13 hr 98 Degree Diarrhea 595
Review: Kellum Medical Group PA (Aug '08) Dec 11 DCW 25
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Nov 29 Fartology 752
Cibolo Police Department (Dec '10) Nov 20 Resident 33
John Hagee is a crook i cant believe his sheep ... (Apr '14) Nov '14 SATX78154 3
selma police (Aug '09) Nov '14 Jake 11
county line regulator Oct '14 PGarcia9120 2
Cibolo Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Cibolo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Cibolo News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Cibolo

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News