Facts about the polygamist sect FLDS

Facts about the polygamist sect FLDS

There are 605 comments on the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer story from Apr 8, 2008, titled Facts about the polygamist sect FLDS. In it, Columbus Ledger-Enquirer reports that:

Some facts about the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, the polygamous sect whose Eldorado, Texas, compound was raided by authorities: - Since the early 20th century the traditional ... via Columbus Ledger-Enquirer

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Ledger-Enquirer.

First Prev
of 31
Next Last
MausoMan

Rice, MN

#1 Apr 8, 2008
And some people were considering a Mormon for President?

“Aurea mediocritas ”

Since: Feb 08

Grand Rapids, MI

#2 Apr 9, 2008
Nothing wrong with a Mormon for president.
aina

Nigeria

#3 Apr 9, 2008
i believe they are not chritian,more still they are not real follower of the Lord JESUS CHRIST,because polygamy contradict the teachings of GOD and of LORD JESUS CHRIST,genesis chap.2 ver 24,therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother,and shall cleave unto his wife:and they shall be one flesh.{KJV} not shall be two,three flesh,this must be followers of devil,1 timothy chap.4 ver.1
Paul

Denver, CO

#4 Apr 9, 2008
I guess you will have to enlighten your Christian fellows on this one, but it may be too late as there are Christian polygamist than Mormon polygamist.
Christian or Evangelical Polygamy is BIGGER than Mormon Polygamy. It's just not know about by other Christians.
Google 'Christian Polygamy'---1,760,000 hits.
http://www.google.com/search...
Google 'Evangelical Polygamy'---210,000 hits:
http://www.google.com/search...
This article is very interesting. Supposable there are more Christian or Evangelical Polygamist (50,000) than RLDS Polygamist 35,000).
http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/chi-...
(excerpt of article)
"The advent of the Internet really put Christian polygamy on the map," said Henkel, adding that his Web site and its sister site, 2Wives.com , received the most hits and new members in August 2006, when Warren Jeffs, the fugitive "prophet" of the FLDS, was caught by the FBI. Jeffs was later convicted of being an accomplice to the rape of a 14-year-old church member.
"The bad publicity was good for business, so to speak," said Henkel. "People wanted to find out what separated us from them."
Although both groups are polygamous, Christian polygamists are scattered across the country, whereas the FLDS is concentrated in Colorado City, Ariz.; Hilldale, Utah; and most recently, El Dorado, Texas.
Both groups, however, share the quality of being extremely conservative in their views about morality, but unconventional in their views about what defines a marriage. Both groups also have a notorious reputation for underage marriage and domestic violence. John Llewellyn, a former deputy sheriff in Utah who has investigated and written about polygamy, says he has not seen cases of exploitation of minors associated with pro-polygamy sites.
Pastor Don Milton, an ordained minister in Arizona who preaches polygamy from ChristianMarriage .com, says that followers of his brand of Christianity and users of his Web site are decent and upstanding adults. "Christian polygamy attracts extremely religious adults with a desire to live God's word," he said.
Milton hopes to open a church that will be accepting of people who choose polygamous lifestyles.
"We can't openly preach polygamy because it's against the law, but we will welcome families who engage in the lifestyle," he said.
A virtual congregation
Until then, his Web site has helped create a virtual community for people who don't have one in the real world. It has a small personals section, but generally he tries not to get involved with matching people up. Still, he makes an enthusiastic pitch for the skeptic.
"Of course a woman would want to marry a married man," Milton said. "A single guy is an unknown quantity, whereas a married guy has a track record."
But not all single women feel that way. Milton said that single women generally want single men.
So goes the challenge tha t Margie and Lee Sharp have been facing. Margie, 32, and Lee, 36, live in Loranger, La., and have been looking for a religious, white woman to help raise their four boys.
The Sharps say they are born-again Christians who decided to practice polygamy after closely studying the Bible. "We prayed and prayed and prayed about it and God put it in our hearts to practice the biblical lifestyle," Margie Sharp said.
She started looking for a sister-wife three years ago. When she began telling members of her non-denominational church in Louisiana about her search, some members started calling her wicked and immoral. Her family told her she was crazy and her neighbors thought she was odd. "So, I turned to the Internet. It was the only place I could be honest and not be laughed at," she said.
Although she and her husband have found solace in cyberspace, Margie says, they haven't found a sister-wife.

“Can't we all just get along!”

Since: May 07

Anytown USA

#5 Apr 9, 2008
aina wrote:
i believe they are not chritian,more still they are not real follower of the Lord JESUS CHRIST,because polygamy contradict the teachings of GOD and of LORD JESUS CHRIST,genesis chap.2 ver 24,therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother,and shall cleave unto his wife:and they shall be one flesh.{KJV} not shall be two,three flesh,this must be followers of devil,1 timothy chap.4 ver.1
You can make a somewhat reasonable argument that polygamy was discontinued in NT times. However, even NT scriptures hint that this practice was at the least tolerated.

I'm not a big fan of the practice but I think you are kidding yourself into thinking that polygamy wasn't sanction in the Bible (OT that is).

From:
http://www.patriarchywebsite.com/polygamy/pol...

SOME QUICK & INTERESTING CONCLUSIONS
A glance at the above draws some quick and interesting conclusions. Most of the biblical patriarchs were polygamous. Of all the patriarchs whose lives were recorded with the most details and are the most preached to be exemplary throughout the generations were Abraham, Jacob, Joseph, Moses and David. And 4 out of all these 5 were polygamous! A quick conclusion is that God may not be against polygamy any more than He is against monogamy and celibacy. For if polygamy had been an issue with God, as it is with today's Christianity, these men would not have been vindicated with such high standing and considered worthy for His children to look up to. He would have clearly ruled against them being polygamous like He would have against all other sins. Instead in many instances, He seemed to have shown acceptance and given recognition of the other women as "wives" in His Word and had blessed and vindicated their offspring.

“Aurea mediocritas ”

Since: Feb 08

Grand Rapids, MI

#6 Apr 9, 2008
Paul wrote:
I guess you will have to enlighten your Christian fellows on this one, but it may be too late as there are Christian polygamist than Mormon polygamist.
Christian or Evangelical Polygamy is BIGGER than Mormon Polygamy. It's just not know about by other Christians.
Google 'Christian Polygamy'---1,760,000 hits.
http://www.google.com/search...
Google 'Evangelical Polygamy'---210,000 hits:
http://www.google.com/search...
This article is very interesting. Supposable there are more Christian or Evangelical Polygamist (50,000) than RLDS Polygamist 35,000).
http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/chi-...
(excerpt of article)
"The advent of the Internet really put Christian polygamy on the map," said Henkel, adding that his Web site and its sister site, 2Wives.com , received the most hits and new members in August 2006, when Warren Jeffs, the fugitive "prophet" of the FLDS, was caught by the FBI. Jeffs was later convicted of being an accomplice to the rape of a 14-year-old church member.
"The bad publicity was good for business, so to speak," said Henkel. "People wanted to find out what separated us from them."
Although both groups are polygamous, Christian polygamists are scattered across the country, whereas the FLDS is concentrated in Colorado City, Ariz.; Hilldale, Utah; and most recently, El Dorado, Texas.
Both groups, however, share the quality of being extremely conservative in their views about morality, but unconventional in their views about what defines a marriage. Both groups also have a notorious reputation for underage marriage and domestic violence. John Llewellyn, a former deputy sheriff in Utah who has investigated and written about polygamy, says he has not seen cases of exploitation of minors associated with pro-polygamy sites.
Pastor Don Milton, an ordained minister in Arizona who preaches polygamy from ChristianMarriage .com, says that followers of his brand of Christianity and users of his Web site are decent and upstanding adults. "Christian polygamy attracts extremely religious adults with a desire to live God's word," he said.
Milton hopes to open a church that will be accepting of people who choose polygamous lifestyles.
"We can't openly preach polygamy because it's against the law, but we will welcome families who engage in the lifestyle," he said.
A virtual congregation
Until then, his Web site has helped create a virtual community for people who don't have one in the real world. It has a small personals section, but generally he tries not to get involved with matching people up. Still, he makes an enthusiastic pitch for the skeptic.
"Of course a woman would want to marry a married man," Milton said. "A single guy is an unknown quantity, whereas a married guy has a track record."
But not all single women feel that way. Milton said that single women generally want single men.
So goes the challenge tha t Margie and Lee Sharp have been facing. Margie, 32, and Lee, 36, live in Loranger, La., and have been looking for a religious, white woman to help raise their four boys.
The Sharps say they are born-again Christians who decided to practice polygamy after closely studying the Bible. "We prayed and prayed and prayed about it and God put it in our hearts to practice the biblical lifestyle," Margie Sharp said.
She started looking for a sister-wife three years ago. When she began telling members of her non-denominational church in Louisiana about her search, some members started calling her wicked and immoral. Her family told her she was crazy and her neighbors thought she was odd. "So, I turned to the Internet. It was the only place I could be honest and not be laughed at," she said.
Although she and her husband have found solace in cyberspace, Margie says, they haven't found a sister-wife.
And let there be light!
Paul

Denver, CO

#7 Apr 9, 2008
Here's some more light:
TruthBearer.org Continuing the Reformation….
http://www.truthbearer.org/
Organization for Christian Polygamy
Polygamy is in the Bible. Polygamy is found throughout history. These facts prove that marriage's definition includes plural marriage.
Polygyny is a far older traditional marriage than anti-polygamy.

TruthBearer.org
http://www.truthbearer.com/products/tapes/t-3...
700 Club / CBN Interviews Founder for first report with Christian Polygamy (06/28/05)
…the quotes on this tape provide a powerful way to help evangelical conservative Christians undertand the mistake of anti-polygamy…
Polygamy has a range of defenders, including evangelical Christians. Mark Henkel is founder of the Christian polygamy organization, TruthBearer.org . He says Christian polygamists believe husbands are called to love their wives, as Christ loved the churches, according to Scripture.

Christian Polygamy INFO
http://www.christianpolygamy.info/movement/
The Christian Polygamy "Movement"
The coming together of conservative, evanglical, Scripture-based Christians, from so many different denominational backgrounds, has formed into a real social "movement", unto now directly seeking to bring the Scriptural truth of Christian Polygamy to the Churches.
It is profoundly significant that this is mostly all with and by conservative Christians.(Christian Polygamy is not Mormon Polygamy.) That is, because of this significant fact that this is with and by conservative Christians, Christian Polygamy can not be dismissed as if merely libertine or as if only a matter of "tolerance" dogma of liberal denominations of Christianity. Indeed, that significant fact demonstrates the genuine reality that Christian Polygamy is clearly only a matter of believing the Scriptures, believing what the Scriptures actually say and have always actually said...
And that's why and how Christian Polygamy has become a growing and unstoppable social "movement" indeed

ChristianPolygamy.com
http://www.christianpolygamy.com/
CHRISTIAN POLYGAMY IS LEGAL! You heard it right! Christian Polygamy is legal! You can have many wives in Christian Polygamy simply by marrying one at a time in the traditional manner. You get a marriage license, and then civilly marry her. You then civilly divorce her. You then get another marriage license for the next wife, and then civilly marry her. You then civilly divorce her. You then continue to do this with each additional wife. If you do not provide any of these civilly divorced wives with a Bill of Divorcement, which is required by the Bible to be divorced, then the "civil" divorce will have no affect on your marital status. You will still be married according to the Bible to each of these wives. You will have had a public ceremony and celebration. And although the civil authorities will not consider you married, you will be married to each of them according to the Bible and therefore according to God. This is the way of Christian Polygamy. It should be the way of all marriages.
Paul

Denver, CO

#8 Apr 9, 2008
More light....
LoveNotForce.com
http://www.lovenotforce.com/
The Standard of Christian Polygamy

Polygamypage.info
http://www.samchapman.talktalk.net/polygamy.h...
Here you can find the net's most comprehensive resource for the study of polygamy, including
Legal study
Academic research
& Christian debate on polygamy, bigamy and related matters.
Facebook social network for "Christians Open to Polygamy".
"Big Love" - HBO's series about a modern polygamous family

Pro-Polygamy.com
http://www.pro-polygamy.com/articles.php...
Helping the Media & Information-gatherers by providing
news, reports, and insights from the pro-polygamy view.
July 4, 2004 - Christian Polygamy 'Movement' is 10 Years Old

Polygamy.com
http://www.polygamy.com/articles/templates/...
The Hypocrisy of Monogamy: Divorce & Adultery Versus Polygamy

BiblicalPolygamy.com
http://www.biblicalpolygamy.com/
A resource for proving that Polygamy really IS Biblical.
The purpose and outline of this web-site are simple:
As based only on the Bible, to provide
* the Exegesis / Argumentation Proofs in the Bible,
* the list of all the Polygamists in the Bible,
* and the examples where The Lord Himself is self-described in polygamous terms in the Bible

Bible Polygamy
http://www.biblepolygamy.com/index.htm
The Bible contains many accounts of Christian polygyny marriages. The Lord blessed and used Bible polygyny for His own purposes and glory. God does not condemn polygyny, never calls it adultery, wickedness or a fleshly perversion and Christians must accept God's Word on this subject not man's opinions based on a few distorted, out of context Scriptures.

“Aurea mediocritas ”

Since: Feb 08

Grand Rapids, MI

#9 Apr 9, 2008
Paul wrote:
More light....
LoveNotForce.com
http://www.lovenotforce.com/
The Standard of Christian Polygamy
Polygamypage.info
http://www.samchapman.talktalk.net/polygamy.h...
Here you can find the net's most comprehensive resource for the study of polygamy, including
Legal study
Academic research
& Christian debate on polygamy, bigamy and related matters.
Facebook social network for "Christians Open to Polygamy".
"Big Love" - HBO's series about a modern polygamous family
Pro-Polygamy.com
http://www.pro-polygamy.com/articles.php...
Helping the Media & Information-gatherers by providing
news, reports, and insights from the pro-polygamy view.
July 4, 2004 - Christian Polygamy 'Movement' is 10 Years Old
Polygamy.com
http://www.polygamy.com/articles/templates/...
The Hypocrisy of Monogamy: Divorce & Adultery Versus Polygamy
BiblicalPolygamy.com
http://www.biblicalpolygamy.com/
A resource for proving that Polygamy really IS Biblical.
The purpose and outline of this web-site are simple:
As based only on the Bible, to provide
* the Exegesis / Argumentation Proofs in the Bible,
* the list of all the Polygamists in the Bible,
* and the examples where The Lord Himself is self-described in polygamous terms in the Bible
Bible Polygamy
http://www.biblepolygamy.com/index.htm
The Bible contains many accounts of Christian polygyny marriages. The Lord blessed and used Bible polygyny for His own purposes and glory. God does not condemn polygyny, never calls it adultery, wickedness or a fleshly perversion and Christians must accept God's Word on this subject not man's opinions based on a few distorted, out of context Scriptures.
Eee-gads, glad I'm a bachelor!

“Don't like it? TOUGH!”

Since: Mar 08

Oakley, CA

#10 Apr 9, 2008
aina wrote:
i believe they are not chritian,more still they are not real follower of the Lord JESUS CHRIST,because polygamy contradict the teachings of GOD and of LORD JESUS CHRIST,genesis chap.2 ver 24,therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother,and shall cleave unto his wife:and they shall be one flesh.{KJV} not shall be two,three flesh,this must be followers of devil,1 timothy chap.4 ver.1
please confirm that you are talking about the FLDS and not the LDS. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!
nick

Bozeman, MT

#11 Apr 9, 2008
Christ came and many things changed. Isreal was no longer God's chosen nation. Christ also made it clear that a man should have one wife. The apostle Paul made this very clear also. The fact is many have left off true teaching. FDLS just being one of many. Some defend this practice by saying Christains practice it also. I submit that NO ONE that practices it recieves God's blessing, worse yet will recieve his judgement.

“All Hail Rutabaga Queen 2007”

Since: Apr 08

Hooterville

#12 Apr 9, 2008
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy.....
Anonymous

Köln, Germany

#13 Apr 10, 2008
The authorities claimed that they found beds in the mormon temple. There was evidence (girl's long hair) that they had relations in the temple.

That the mormon church uses occultic magick in its rituals is common knowledge for anyone looking under the surface.

That the mormons at YFZ-ranch were using young "virgins" in their occultic practices is a matter-of-fact. Anyone downplaying that is either blind or trying to hide the fact that occultic practices are commonplace in the u.s.

It's very naive to think that this whole story is about a bunch of "horny old men", when in fact it is about demonic occultic practices using the souls of innocent children.

http://www.traditioninaction.org/religious/e0 ...
amanda

Magnolia, AR

#14 Apr 10, 2008
I wae baptised as a mormon. in later years I found out just how wrong they are. The chirch of jesus christ of later day saints do dot practice this kind of life style any more but in there ouw twisted way they the are the same insted of many wives and kids its other restriction like being in jail. I have not practiced that religon in 20 years becaues of there belifs. for the men in that camp they shoulb be taken out on the back forty and barried up to their necks and left to the busards. That is how I feel about them. Some are ok I know many mormons that are good people that follow christ but there is a stoping place for everyone. and those Bastards will find out when they get to heven.
Katrina

Salt Lake City, UT

#15 Apr 10, 2008
MausoMan wrote:
And some people were considering a Mormon for President?
Ok...FLDS and Mormon's are NOT the same religion!! FLDS are their own religion who broke away from the mormon church because they wanted to practice polygamy and the mormon church banned it. Please get your facts straight before commenting on a topic you only think you know about. The LDS (mormon) church does not practice anything the FLDS church practices.

“Can't we all just get along!”

Since: May 07

Anytown USA

#16 Apr 10, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
The authorities claimed that they found beds in the mormon temple. There was evidence (girl's long hair) that they had relations in the temple.
That the mormon church uses occultic magick in its rituals is common knowledge for anyone looking under the surface.
That the mormons at YFZ-ranch were using young "virgins" in their occultic practices is a matter-of-fact. Anyone downplaying that is either blind or trying to hide the fact that occultic practices are commonplace in the u.s.
It's very naive to think that this whole story is about a bunch of "horny old men", when in fact it is about demonic occultic practices using the souls of innocent children.
http://www.traditioninaction.org/religious/e0 ...
Do you believe every rumor you hear? I also heard that Elvis is alive and will and living in Costa Rica (it's true...I read it somehwere)
IMO

Chicago, IL

#17 Apr 10, 2008
So it's okay to get a 13 year old pregnant by a 50 year old man.. and then make her sister, her cousin, her aunt, and even grandma his wife. hmm no I'll stay catholic. sorry.
IMO

Chicago, IL

#18 Apr 10, 2008
I look at this as I look at the islam religion. sick.

“Can't we all just get along!”

Since: May 07

Anytown USA

#19 Apr 10, 2008
IMO wrote:
So it's okay to get a 13 year old pregnant by a 50 year old man.. and then make her sister, her cousin, her aunt, and even grandma his wife. hmm no I'll stay catholic. sorry.
Catholicism has it's own major issues at the moment.(i.e. Celibate Priests and molestation)
imo

Chicago, IL

#20 Apr 10, 2008
I never daid Catholicism did not but at least I don't have to grow afraid of my dad trying to take me to some doctor to remove something from my vagina..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 31
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christoval Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
xxx party (Oct '13) May 24 Mpratt8257 2
Sheriff Lupton May 23 Concern citizen 1
(brian knowlton) PERVERT from Artesia New MEXICO May 16 A AWARE HUSBAND 1
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) May 14 Jack 993
Bad drivers May 1 Local325 2
Shane Stewart and Sally McNelly Murder (Sep '15) Apr '16 messitup 19
need a plug Apr '16 Cmos619 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Christoval Mortgages