w. f high basketball
eyes wide open

West Frankfort, IL

#21 Dec 12, 2012
from the cheap seats wrote:
<quoted text>I think its time for the athletic diector to step up and do his job.The problem starts with 7th grade coaches on up.They coach how they want play six boys everybody else sits.Of the six by the time they get to high school mabey three are still playing the other boys that have not played either quit or are so far behind on fundamentals that we can't compete and thats the situation our progam is in now!The school board is on the hot seat an election is coming up.Who is going to go coaches, athletic director,school board members,time will tell but something better start changing soon or there won't be a sports program!
Sometimes programs have to hit bottom before changes are made.I think we are there.The pressure is on the school board and a election is comming up. look for changes soon who will it be coaches, athletic director, school board members,time will tell!
observer

Kansas City, MO

#22 Dec 14, 2012
The 49-12 score was Benton and WF girls. However, the head coach at Benton played for WF in the 90's. He is just another coach they have lost to another town. Speaking of Kevin Toney, he is one of the greatest basketball minds in all of SI. Shane Hawkins hired him on his staff as soon as he got the job. As far as teaching in one district and coaching in another, it happens more often than you think. And as far as this situation goes it is really no big deal b/c Marion and WF no longer play each other. And finally, as far as the new coach goes, I think the jury is still out.
big bird

Murphysboro, IL

#23 Dec 15, 2012
observer wrote:
The 49-12 score was Benton and WF girls. However, the head coach at Benton played for WF in the 90's. He is just another coach they have lost to another town. Speaking of Kevin Toney, he is one of the greatest basketball minds in all of SI. Shane Hawkins hired him on his staff as soon as he got the job. As far as teaching in one district and coaching in another, it happens more often than you think. And as far as this situation goes it is really no big deal b/c Marion and WF no longer play each other. And finally, as far as the new coach goes, I think the jury is still out.
I don't think the head coach can take take most of the blame.The program is in a mess because the jr high coaches play to win not teach fundamentals.When the 8th grade gets to hs its like starting over.I see that as a athletic director issue.Till that changes why would you want another head coach.When the head coach job was open all the asst coaches could have applied for it no one did. Why they want the check not the grief.I was told only 2 even applied for the head coach job Dewerff and a former jc coach.If any one has a plan lets here it and help this program!
paybacks

Marion, IL

#24 Dec 15, 2012
When I think of all of the REALLY GOOD PLAYERS that would have played their hearts out but were never given a chance to show it I see payback coming into play here! I feel sorry for the kids in the sports programs but not the adults. Need to clean house starting with the school board on down.
lacking

Enfield, IL

#25 Dec 17, 2012
The girls game against Benton was a disaster! I follow some of the games when I can, and I have to say coaching obviously matters, but this year Matt just does not have any strong players. They are all young and inexperienced and lack the aggression needed to play at a varsity level. One girl basically does all the work, with little or no assistance. Hopefully, in the next few years, the young ones will develop and maybe some new ones will come up and help. I feel for the whole team.
Hometown gal

Herrin, IL

#26 Dec 18, 2012
Newsflash people, you are talking about WF here!! Look at the last names of the board and AD. They are going no where. Just because an election is coming up doesn't mean they will do anything. Most of them have been there for years and years and with all the "popular" vote that happens in WF they know their positions are secure. So you can b*tch and whine all you want here. If you want change you have to get everyone you know to vote for the new people. I won't hold my breath though, lived here all my life and I know how it goes.
kevin

Evansville, IL

#28 Dec 22, 2012
another L last night they stink.....
wunderin

Marion, IL

#29 Dec 22, 2012
kevin wrote:
another L last night they stink.....
Isn't this coach a buddy of Steven's? If memory serves me right he got rid of a good teacher to hire him. Why do the principals get to hire people just because they work in that building? What does the SCHOOL BOARD DO???
Does a good job

Carterville, IL

#30 Dec 22, 2012
The coach is doing the best with what he has to work with. HIs teams are organized, work hard and give 100 percent.
Not much talent to work with. I thought he outcoached the Benton coach last night, but they missed to many layups and free throws.
Bleacher Bum

Carterville, IL

#31 Dec 22, 2012
I agree with you on the work hard. They don't seem to quit. They missed way too many lay ups and close shots, not to mention some key free throws. Just a few more of either would have changed the outcome. But I disagree with the organized and all but decided his ability as a coach is lacking.

A kid steps up and makes some key plays on either end of the floor and he pulls him? Behind in the score and he slows down play? Time ticking away but he doesn't put the defense up on the ball but lets the opponent cross half court then pass it a few times before fouling to stop the clock? The team works their way back and he calls a timeout resulting in a technical foul?

On an observational note though, ball handling and shot selection seems to be the biggest problems the team has. They are too fast and reckless with the ball. Poor passing choices. Forcing passes and shots. I like the tempo they are trying to set but it is just too fast for that team. Slow it down just a bit and it will make a lot of difference for them. Then if they learn to look down the floor and move to open passing lanes they will get more open shots with a higher make percentage than what they have had. Nitpicking, maybe? But it is the little things that make or break a team.
Really

Herrin, IL

#32 Dec 23, 2012
Why did the cheerleaders look the way they did, some hair up some down, is there not a standard for har? It looked aweful!,,
bird man

Enfield, IL

#33 Jan 2, 2013
So how is the bball team doing?
Player

Pocahontas, IL

#34 Jan 3, 2013
bird man wrote:
So how is the bball team doing?
we've won 3 games do far and won a game first round of the eldorado tournament... First time in 4 years that's happened for us, so better not good yet though
paybacks

Carterville, IL

#35 Jan 3, 2013
Last years freshman team was undefeated until they went to the Pinckneyville Tournament. Thats when they brought two freshmen up to Varsity and the undefeated team went down hill from there and the Varsity still didn't win. You have kids that have played together since grade school and are undefeated and you break them up.
bbfan

Marion, IL

#36 Jan 3, 2013
paybacks wrote:
Last years freshman team was undefeated until they went to the Pinckneyville Tournament. Thats when they brought two freshmen up to Varsity and the undefeated team went down hill from there and the Varsity still didn't win. You have kids that have played together since grade school and are undefeated and you break them up.
I have said this for years! Also have the coach go up the grades with them. If the kids and coach stayed together by the time they reached Varsity they would be very hard to beat. Seems like a no brainer to me, why is it so hard for the ones in charge to see?
redbird

Enfield, IL

#37 Jan 3, 2013
Keep playing hard and don't listen to all the negative comments on here. People really need to stop with the negativity and support all athletics in wf. Good luck with the rest of the season.

Since: Dec 12

Marion, IL

#38 Jan 9, 2013
lets talk about the JV coach......

Since: Mar 11

West Frankfort, IL

#39 Jan 9, 2013
We won last night!!!!!!!!!
Mike Patton

Glen Carbon, IL

#40 Jan 9, 2013
That's another WIN!!!!
Player

Pocahontas, IL

#41 Jan 16, 2013
lovemeorhateme97 wrote:
lets talk about the JV coach......
let's not, Tim is a very good coach and a friend as well and looks out for our best interests, love that man

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christopher Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Alexis Nikki Melville 29 min Ytok 1
grade school teachers getting fired 2 hr Captain 250
Shooting on Madison St? 7 hr friend of family 20
news said cops had a bike in custody! Jul 29 Your granny 5
Elmo's Jul 29 Looking for him 31
who has hepatitis in christopher Jul 28 lover girl 3
What was that? Jul 28 stomping 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Christopher Mortgages