Terrible

Herrin, IL

#1 May 19, 2013
Why in the HELL did they have graduation in a gymnasium that was 500 degrees. Half of the bleachers were closed up, and not enough seating. Come on school board, we know its Benton but you could at least have A LITTLE sense. And letting CERTAIN people reserve 25+ seats in several sections is ridiculous while my handicapped mother who drove 6 hours, arrived and hour before the ceremony had to climb 3 stories to to sit down before heat stroke.. Come one u dumbass people have a little decency and common sense. I'm appalled at the rudeness of the faculty, staff and parents/ relative friends who let this happen.
Disgusted Grandparent
Flynn

Marion, IL

#2 May 19, 2013
All graduation seating should be first come, serve.
Not much they can do about the heat. I don't think the gym is air conditioned. There was handicapped seating to the left of the stage on the floor level.
If you were there an hour early, that shouldn't have been a problem?
Enough

Pocahontas, IL

#3 May 19, 2013
I have yet to attend a graduation ceremony anywhere that wasn't hot and stuffy. Just the nature of the game. I didn't have a problem finding a good seat at Benton last night, and there appeared to be available seating for those with disabilities that needed it. Congratulations to your grandchild on their accomplishment. I know you are proud of him/her.
Terrible

Herrin, IL

#4 May 19, 2013
Flynn wrote:
Not much they can do about the heat. I don't think the gym is air conditioned. There was handicapped seating to the left of the stage on the floor level.
BUt that was the problem, seating. we were asked to move twice before we were able to find a seat because people had "RESERVED" rows and I mean literally ROWS of seats for their people to come. IT was completely ridiculous the rudeness of people. And why again, could they not have it at the football field? if it rains bring a dang umbrella. At least there is room for a handicapped person to bring a lawn chair. And to answer your question, no, there was not A seat anywhere at 7 pm in the handicapped section. When you see an elderly lady walking with a cane, and you are an able body adult, you get your ass up and give them a seat. You don't say-this seat is reserved and you need to find another seat. REDICULOUS rude Benton
I agree

Marion, IL

#5 May 19, 2013
Some people ARE rude plain & simple. Honestly, I would not have moved if someone had that many seats "reserved" & I was handicapped & needed a seat with easy access. That IS ridiculous! Also, many graduations I've been to at various gyms have been the same way. Crowed & HOT. It's awful, but not much you can do. That's how/where they do them :/ At least it only happens once a year..
Proud parent

Belleville, IL

#6 May 19, 2013
Yes thank you! I too was also told to move because the seats were saved! Totally agree with you on everything. We have just as much right to set anywhere in that gym as anyone else. The nerve of some people. It should be held in the football field. If its good enough for a season of games it's good enough for gradation .
hey

Enfield, IL

#7 May 19, 2013
The football stadium seats only between 800-90o people!!! R Herrin gym seats 3600. Where will everyone sit at the stadium???
Bentonite

Belleville, IL

#8 May 19, 2013
hey wrote:
The football stadium seats only between 800-90o people!!! R Herrin gym seats 3600. Where will everyone sit at the stadium???
Not when half the bleacher seating is closed off. No way is there room for 3600 people in Rich herrin gym maybe half that.. At least the football field I would be fine with a lawn chair or even standing if it is outside with a little airflow.
hey

Enfield, IL

#9 May 19, 2013
Bentonite wrote:
<quoted text>
Not when half the bleacher seating is closed off. No way is there room for 3600 people in Rich herrin gym maybe half that.. At least the football field I would be fine with a lawn chair or even standing if it is outside with a little airflow.
I see what you are saying, but remember, the bleachers were closed so the graduates, faculty, staff, handicapped, band, and choir would have room on the floor. Also, the far west section was closed so there would be room for the stage. No easy solution really. A problem for sure. Wish they could air condition the place but that would be so expensive.
Bentonite

Belleville, IL

#10 May 19, 2013
And my other comment about the reserved seating. Security ( I saw ONE leaning against the rail the whole ceremony) they should have went to the full sections of seats marked reserved (by programs, signs ect. And removed the signs from the seats. I witnessed several shrewd people shewing people off empty seats. I gave up and stood
Ezra

Benton, IL

#11 May 19, 2013
After checking the gymnasium, I have confirmed that the temperature was 500 degrees. We only opened 50% of the bleachers for use. Each person was allowed to make reservations, up to 25 seats per person. Lol, jk, you're a moron.

If you would've called the school and informed them of your mother's situations, you would've had accommodations. I'm sorry that BCHS can't read your mind.

Sincerely,
someone who has some common sense
Well

Peoria, IL

#12 May 20, 2013
Ezra wrote:
After checking the gymnasium, I have confirmed that the temperature was 500 degrees. We only opened 50% of the bleachers for use. Each person was allowed to make reservations, up to 25 seats per person. Lol, jk, you're a moron.
If you would've called the school and informed them of your mother's situations, you would've had accommodations. I'm sorry that BCHS can't read your mind.
Sincerely,
My disabled mom did call the school and they told her she needed to come at least an hour and a half early. That was their accommodations. We were told to move 3 times and yelled at for taking reserved seats as well.
teacher

Johnston City, IL

#13 May 20, 2013
Ezra wrote:
Sincerely,
This is why it does no good to address a situation. Because instead of agreeing it is a problem, and anyone can see that there is a problem, they resort to name calling. I assume you are the Janitor/security guard/staff or a school board member. Way to take charge, and remedy a situation like you are SUPPOSE to do. People like you make the entire staff look bad.
I am sorry your mother was treated so horribly and I saw several banners and programs over several seats in the sections clearly reserved for groups of people. This should have not been allowed, not by the staff nor by the security. I too saw elderly folks trying to climb the stairs when they should have a seat in a handicapped section on the floor area which was filled with very able body attendants (and should NOT i repeat NOT have had to call ahead to RESERVE a seat). I also saw several harrassing arguments over seats being "reserved" and people having to stand in the heated gymnasium. What was the board thinking?
former Benton Graduate

Johnston City, IL

#14 May 20, 2013
Flynn wrote:
Lets see, when I looked to the left of the stage I didn't see any handicapped or elderly. I did see Mrs. Johnson with a cane which was understandable, and I seen Forby. For the most part, I seen people who were in no way handicapped, I saw no one directing anyone to a proper seat besides the people who reserved their chairs with folded programs telling people not to sit there. I personally was told to sit somewhere else too. If you want to reserve seats for your family, try doing it in the bleachers.
former Benton Graduate

Johnston City, IL

#15 May 20, 2013
And just for the sake of the arguement, my graduation ceremony was held at Tabor Field years ago. It was a beautiful calm and breezy evening and seating was not nearly the mess that it was Saturday night in that sweltering Gym.
FCC

Belleville, IL

#16 May 20, 2013
Pathetic!! There is no excuse for any of that I am so glad my son has graduated and is out of that school. This is only half the problems we have In our school facilities. I have been to graduation ceremonies before but it was nothing like this one! You Benton people are very very very rude, Not just there but any place you go in that town. Even this site shows what pathetic losers most of you are. Go to a bar in that town you are treated hateful, Applebee's, Walmart, a Church and especially a ball game. Act like adults and not the degenerate inbreds that u are
Its benton

Belleville, IL

#17 May 20, 2013
Seriously? Did u expect any less out of those folks??? I wasn't a bit surprised. If u was not born, raised, and related to the entire town, you are treated like pure shit. My nephew graduated saturday and the same damn people that were failing the school system since I attended BCHS,, was sitting up on that stage large and in charge.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christopher Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
cody webb (Dec '12) 1 hr lol 7
dogs need saved 610 south skelton 5 hr wellwell 7
Man facing child sexual exploitation charges 6 hr wfi 4
read gead at Rillin up 6 hr Derek 2
Ashlee Adams 8 hr Revenge Seeking M... 5
Sherice Barnett (May '13) 21 hr Heather 5
Morthland College- The Lies You Werent Told About (Oct '12) 22 hr Hmmmm 79
Christopher Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Christopher People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:35 pm PST

Bleacher Report12:35PM
Who Benefits Most from Hiring of Gase?
Bleacher Report 5:14 PM
How Bears Can Make Most of Each Draft Pick
Bleacher Report12:00 AM
3 Mistakes the Chicago Bears Can't Afford to Make This Offseason
Yahoo! Sports 8:12 AM
The lure of LA for the NFL - mirage or 'must do'?
Bleacher Report 9:15 AM
Tillman Hints at Return to Bears with Tweet