We have a question for the parents of...

We have a question for the parents of West Frankfort.

Posted in the Christopher Forum

PTK_Upsilon_Pi

Carmi, IL

#1 Oct 19, 2013
The members of John A. Logan's Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa need the help from the parents of West Frankfort. We are working on our Honors in Action Project and need your opinion. The question we are researching is:

“How do guidelines, such as the USDA’s Food Pyramid and school lunch programs compete with or match parental/community food standards and/or realities?”

So please give us your opinions on your school lunch program and also any comments on your children's education of nutrition while at school. Thank you in advance, and please try to keep responses as polite and respectable as possible. Have a great day!
attention

Carbondale, IL

#2 Oct 19, 2013
The local school menu is horrible the food is tasteless and fyi who formed these meals BC clearly they have no clue of what goes and doesn't....you wnt and did it found a pre k child and said make the menu up free nasty lunches we pay out if pocket to send our kids lunches everyday so they don't starve at school and not want to eat supper when they get home cuz they gorge themselves on snacks after being deprived of decent food all day!!!!!
CHANGE

Herrin, IL

#3 Oct 20, 2013
Yes as she stated our children will not eat schools food of any kind ... They say its all gross soo, I pack there lunches through the weak.. I wish they would try better things more kid friendly ...
CHANGE

Herrin, IL

#4 Oct 20, 2013
I also may add some of the kids beg my child for something they may have in there lunch..Just saying the kids hate the food ,,Soo im sure there starving because they refuse to eat that food..
No more

United States

#5 Oct 20, 2013
The food used to be really good when Kendra was in charge but it is awful now!
Parent

Marion, IL

#6 Oct 20, 2013
The type of food offered just does not turn on a "kid's" appetite. I was recently at the Jr. high school and read the menu. At first I seen the "tacos" and "pizza" offerings and wondered why a kid would not want that. Then I read the toppings and sides. Most adults wouldn't eat it either. Then I seen a sign noting the lunches were "Free", but that a second meal could be purchased. In speaking with kids I know at that school, the 2nd lunch is offered due to meal size and if a kid is still hungry they can purchase a 2nd meal. The 2nd meal is not offered in the high school. My kid, as do most, bring their lunch to school because the school meal offered is not appealing, appetizing, or filling. They are required to stand in line, take a meal tray, then go right to a trash can and dump it before they can sit down to eat what they brought. Figure that one out for us please.
Upsilon Pi

Norris City, IL

#7 Oct 20, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We hope to hear more from the parents of West Frankfort!
tville

Ashburn, VA

#8 Oct 21, 2013
Do you want to hear from Thompsonville too? The good is very good, kid friendly and portion appropriate. Nothing like WF school lunches!
Upsilon Pi

Carterville, IL

#9 Oct 21, 2013
tville wrote:
Do you want to hear from Thompsonville too? The good is very good, kid friendly and portion appropriate. Nothing like WF school lunches!
Yes, please. Any comments for any schools in the John A. Logan school district are appreciated.
Former tville student

United States

#10 Oct 21, 2013
tville wrote:
Who are you trying to fool, the food at our school has sucked every since they went to the food service my 8th grade year.
CHANGE

Herrin, IL

#11 Oct 23, 2013
Machelle Obama is what has happened!!! By the way I do live in W.f! Im saying it once more the food is gross!I don't receive F.S. I have to pay for that crap! Better yet lunchables at 4 bucks a pop!School food isn't worth 50 cents yuck!!!!!
Upsilon Pi

Norris City, IL

#12 Oct 24, 2013
CHANGE wrote:
Machelle Obama is what has happened!!! By the way I do live in W.f! Im saying it once more the food is gross!I don't receive F.S. I have to pay for that crap! Better yet lunchables at 4 bucks a pop!School food isn't worth 50 cents yuck!!!!!
What changes would you like to see in the school lunch program?
attention

Sesser, IL

#13 Oct 27, 2013
Better kid friendly foods what happened to some good ok chicken mashed potatos corn and some fruit not a corn dog and black beans Wtc seriously who formed this menu my son says he likes the bosco sticks and marinara with the salad with broccoli which makes since that he actually likes it and he is in 2 ND grade I also believe if you would offer a veg/salad/fruit bar you would be surprised how many kids would eat off this
Wf community member

United States

#14 Oct 27, 2013
PTK_Upsilon_Pi wrote:
The members of John A. Logan's Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa need the help from the parents of West Frankfort. We are working on our Honors in Action Project and need your opinion. The question we are researching is:
“How do guidelines, such as the USDA’s Food Pyramid and school lunch programs compete with or match parental/community food standards and/or realities?”
So please give us your opinions on your school lunch program and also any comments on your children's education of nutrition while at school. Thank you in advance, and please try to keep responses as polite and respectable as possible. Have a great day!
I have seen what the students get for lunch first hand. For the younger grades the portions are fine,but the upper grades probably do not get enough on their plate. Because of mandates the menu is not always appealing to students. This is in part because they have never been exposed to these foods such a sweet potato or fresh pears in their life! If students experienced these food choices other than once every few weeks at school they would be much more likely to try them. Also,letting the students know what they are eating and providing healthy alternatives would be helpful. I have seen other school districts have 3 options for students. The other side of this card is many families can't make these kinds of food choices because fresh fruits and vegetables are more expensive. I don't know if there is a good solution here just my observation.
Good try

United States

#15 Oct 27, 2013
CHANGE wrote:
You don't have to pay for that crap. ALL taxpayers pay for that crap because every student in the district eats free lunch. So I guess your tax money pays, but you don't.
change

Herrin, IL

#16 Oct 28, 2013
Good try wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have to pay for that crap. ALL taxpayers pay for that crap because every student in the district eats free lunch. So I guess your tax money pays, but you don't.
sorry but yes we do 2.50 a day! Lunchables 4 to 5 a day!..We don't get anything for free!
Good try

Republic, MO

#17 Oct 28, 2013
change wrote:
<quoted text> sorry but yes we do 2.50 a day! Lunchables 4 to 5 a day!..We don't get anything for free!
Must not live in wf then. All students get free lunch. Wait...isn't this post for wf people? I'm soooo confused!
attention

Sesser, IL

#18 Oct 28, 2013
Good try wrote:
<quoted text>
Must not live in wf then. All students get free lunch. Wait...isn't this post for wf people? I'm soooo confused!
I think that person means she pays for lunches Like I have to BC our kids won't eat that food and also when I send my Childs lunch he takes turkey on a flatbread pita with cheese fresh tomatoes banana peppers and carrot and celery with ranch dip and rice crispy or a ham and cheese sandwich or pb and jelly my kids eat a huge variety food do your kids eat cabbage Brussels sprouts celery carrots onions turnips radish cauliflower peppers refried beans tomatoes apples pomegranates peaches cantaloupe grapes pears come to think of it none of this is on the menu

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christopher Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christopher fire department 46 min concerned citizen 15
guy who molested my daughter was picked up in y... (Apr '08) 1 hr Yes sir 12
Drug house 1 hr Every one knows 6
Kody vanfossan 10 hr Bob 2
News Police Looking for Christopher Sex Offender (Apr '13) 18 hr Dallas 5
A CONVICTED PEDOPHILE operates the Exit 83 CB S... (Nov '06) 22 hr Fuckyou 2
Poor Kimmy Sun Truth 1

Christopher Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance