We'll see
knows

Malden, MA

#2 Oct 15, 2009
they sure dont need it afterall they get 3 months paid and stay home
Old Timer

United States

#3 Oct 15, 2009
Teachers are not paid to stay home for 3 months...they are laid off for 3 months out of the year. Some districts do not pay teachers over the summer months, some do. But you will find those same teachers are the people who teach in Bible school, coach ball, and participate in many functions for your children during those same months. Just to clarify, I'm done.
on the other hand

Newtown, PA

#4 Oct 15, 2009
I don't think the phrase "laid off" applies here. Teachers in Illinois work a schedule number of days which I think is roughly 179-180 days. I think most teachers spread their pay throughout the year and including into the summer.
Quiet Observer

Herod, IL

#5 Oct 15, 2009
"Laid off" applies to teacher's aides, not teachers.

Since: Mar 09

Des Moines, IA

#6 Oct 16, 2009
I think they are currently paid very well.
info

United States

#7 Oct 16, 2009
Some would say they are over paid and some are. The ones that are making 80,000 to 90,000 per year certainly are. If you think they will not get a raise then think again. If they would happen to got on strike they still will not loose a dime. The district,in order to get their money from the state,will make up the time. People that actually work for a living and go on strike never make up the money they miss by not working, but teachers do. I am not saying that their jobs are not difficult but no one held a gun to their heads to become a teacher
wow

Bradenton, FL

#8 Oct 16, 2009
Will they get a raise? We all know they will.
Unknown

Paducah, KY

#9 Oct 16, 2009
Well excuse me. I have a friend that works in the kitchen of a school in Williamson County and she gets paid decent money thru the year and when summer comes around shes off she files for unemployment and she gets more from unemployment then she does from her actual paycheck but she says her checks are nice!!!
Tentative

United States

#10 Oct 17, 2009
Unknown wrote:
Well excuse me. I have a friend that works in the kitchen of a school in Williamson County and she gets paid decent money thru the year and when summer comes around shes off she files for unemployment and she gets more from unemployment then she does from her actual paycheck but she says her checks are nice!!!
What does that have to do with the teachers getting a raise?????
knows

Malden, MA

#11 Oct 17, 2009
who cares really if the do or dont
WF Resident

Des Moines, IA

#12 Oct 17, 2009
I for one am all for our teachers getting a raise. I think any one who teaches our children should make a decent wage. I am not a teacher, just a retired steel worker.
Tentative

United States

#13 Oct 17, 2009
WF Resident wrote:
I for one am all for our teachers getting a raise. I think any one who teaches our children should make a decent wage. I am not a teacher, just a retired steel worker.
What do you consider a decent wage?
1 uv 4bs

United States

#14 Oct 17, 2009
wf makes more than jc or benton or czr or sesser
wow

Bradenton, FL

#15 Oct 17, 2009
Some do deserve a raise,!
WF Resident

Des Moines, IA

#16 Oct 18, 2009
Tentative wrote:
<quoted text>What do you consider a decent wage?
I would say from $25.00 to $35.00 per hour, which is less than what I made when working the last year before I retired.
concerned parent

Prior Lake, MN

#17 Oct 18, 2009
wow wrote:
Will they get a raise? We all know they will.
AND they should
nos it all

United States

#18 Oct 18, 2009
Unknown wrote:
i have a family member in williamson cty also that works in the kitchen. they are paid by the hour and do not get unemploymnet for summer work. its considered seasonal. as for teachers, my sister is one. they are paid for the year they elect whether or not to get paid during 9 months or over the 12 month period. no unemployment for them. she does have to take summer classes and go to conferenes to keep her license up though.
Tentative

United States

#19 Oct 21, 2009
Wonder if anything was said about the teachers contract at the SB meeting last night?
Tentative

United States

#20 Oct 26, 2009
From what I've heard, sounds like Goins is running the show. He is not for the teachers but more concerned about the public aid parents we have and pleasing them. If we are smart he won't see another contract with us.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christopher Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kiley Smith!!!! 3 hr Iknowall 5
Damon Phesant. 3 hr Astinedtoo 6
Friend 6 hr Kiolloutjiom 3
Poor poor Kimmy 11 hr Truth 189
Angel Fourez 21 hr Shuffleboard afic... 3
Topix Thu Okkkkkwithittttt 1
Blond in 4 door white jeep Aug 23 Idddddiiittttt 5

Christopher Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance