Attempted Murder Student from CES all...

Attempted Murder Student from CES allowed to return to class?

Posted in the Christopher Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
NOfreakinWAY

Memphis, TN

#1 Feb 13, 2011
This kid is in 7th or 8th grade in Christopher Elementary school right now. He's been allowed to return to classes with the other students... say what?

by Heartland News

BENTON, IL (KFVS)- A 14 year-old boy from Benton has been charged with one count of attempted murder and two counts of aggravated battery after stabbing a 16-year-old boy in the chest, said Benton police chief Lance Charlson.

Charlson said the stabbing was over "a small amount of money."

Charlson said someone called the 14-year-old and told the teen he'd given the 16-year-old money to buy something, but the 16-year-old failed to return with the item. The 14-year-old reportedly responded by saying he would "take care of it," then he and several others climbed into a van and began looking for the 16-year-old.

Charlson said the group found the 16-year-old riding his bicycle on Petroff road, stopped, then the 14-year-old got and was seen punching the 16 year-old in the chest. The chief said the teen then ran back to the van, told the driver to get out of there, then threw a five-inch locking knife out the window of the van.

Someone driving by picked up the 16 year-old and rushed him to the hospital. The teen was then airlifted to an Indiana hospital.

The 14-year-old was being held in the Franklin County Juvenile Detention Center.

Copyright 2010 KFVS. All rights reserved.
pitb

Equality, IL

#3 Feb 14, 2011
well did he go to christopher in the first place or benton? they should atleast ship his ass to ehco in jc.
Dean

United States

#4 Feb 14, 2011
I believe all parents should keep their children home from CES until this kid is moved to a dentention center/school.
southerngirl03

United States

#6 Feb 14, 2011
This scares me ...this kid should not be able to return to school at all...ship him to a detention center where he belongs ...here's a question ...where the h are his parents?!!!!????
The Answer

Equality, IL

#7 Feb 14, 2011
Christopher Elementary School CANNOT refuse to accept a student. It is a state law that schools have to provide an education. If a student lives in that town, then he must be provided with an education. It has nothing to do with the Superintendent. Get your facts straight.
curious

United States

#8 Feb 14, 2011
Was there a protest this morning at the school like people were saying there was going to be? I wonder if any parents even went up there to complain?

I agree with the last poster that said an education cannot be refused.

I am not sure the rules when a kid is accused of something like this. I know there are alternative school and such, but I'm not sure how that works when he hasn't been convicted yet, etc. Usually a dangerous kid will be given an "alternative" education of some sort, whether it is being in a BD class or a different school or being homeschooled, but the school is responsible for paying for the cost of his education and making sure he gets one.

I feel really bad for the administration at CES. I'm sure they do not want this kid. Think about it from their point of view. This is the type of kid who is undoubtedly a huge troublemaker and poor student who will be in the principal's office all the time for various stuff, making the teachers' lives hell, and bringing down the overall test scores for his class (which the school's funding is partially based on). So I really doubt the school is taking this kid unless they have to for some reason, and if he is coming there and all I have heard is true, I am sure they will be doing everything in their power to monitor him at all times.

I am not saying this kid should be at CES, but I also think people are wrong in thinking the administration wants him there and doesn't care if the other kids are harmed.

Christopher has excellent people looking out for these kids. I'm sure there's more to the story than we know.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#10 Feb 14, 2011
Please refrain from posting any personal information about the people involved in this incident. Using the names of minors and/or family members will not be tolerated.

We thank you for your cooperation.
Bearcat

Pierron, IL

#11 Feb 14, 2011
TopMod15 wrote:
Please refrain from posting any personal information about the people involved in this incident. Using the names of minors and/or family members will not be tolerated.
We thank you for your cooperation.
If this is a new policy of TOPIX to moderate and make sure names of minor children aren't used the I say it's about time. But if you're just picking this post to moderate...holy crap you have a lot of catch up work to do. Minor children's names are used all the time!

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#12 Feb 14, 2011
Bearcat wrote:
<quoted text>
If this is a new policy of TOPIX to moderate and make sure names of minor children aren't used the I say it's about time. But if you're just picking this post to moderate...holy crap you have a lot of catch up work to do. Minor children's names are used all the time!
Hi Bearcat,

We take reports regarding minors very seriously. We also rely on our feedback system to bring these posts to our attention. If you see threads involving abuse and/or cyber-bullying of minors please report the posts by clicking the "report abuse" link on the post. We review every report that is sent to us.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#13 Feb 14, 2011
Bearcat wrote:
<quoted text>
Bearcat : You are absolutely right, minors and other innocent peoples names are used on this site all the time. This is the first time in four years I've seen a moderator. And yes, I have sent very specific complaints to Topix regarding a variety of defamation. 2+2=4 Guess who complained ??? The innocent ?! Hmmmmmm....
Dean

United States

#14 Feb 14, 2011
I think protecting a minor name is a must! But in this case the minor names has already been on the tv news and news papers.
NoFreakinWay

Memphis, TN

#15 Feb 14, 2011
So, we can't protect our kids, HOWEVER, YOU can protect the name of the kid INVOLVED IN A MURDER ATTEMPT that is now co-existing with other students. I'm appauled... I'm just disgusted... The MOTHER of this boy should be held accountable. Leah really aught to look into putting her son in an alternative school where the behavior disorder children aren't around 5 and 6 year olds regularly...
AmIWrong

United States

#16 Feb 14, 2011
Dean wrote:
I think protecting a minor name is a must! But in this case the minor names has already been on the tv news and news papers.
Tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't it illegal to publish a minor suspect's name in the news? I have only seen his name in random people's online rants.
NoFreakinWay

Memphis, TN

#17 Feb 14, 2011
Keep in mind that 8th grade shares the same halls and breezeways and cafeteria's that the KINDERGARDENERS do? WHO is gonna protect them? Is that kid gonna be monitored? What about my rights to know monitor whom my child is around? I'm all about rehabilitation, but damn this was just LAST YEAR MIND YOU! Ms Keltner should be being getting help from the state as she has a football team of children without fathers, where is her caseworker?
truth be told

Laramie, WY

#18 Feb 14, 2011
at least we know to keep an eye on that kid. have we all forgot about the kids who bully and threaten other kids and get away with it. most parents of bully's have no clue what their kid is really like at that age. i can think of a few kids who tortured and killed helpless animals and threatened other kids that they would do worse then just stab them. this kids parents probably had no clue their child would actually stab someone. so like i said at least we know to keep a close eye on that kid. to bad we dont know about the other kids who are just as capable and willing to do the same thing that this kid did. how about we have a secret ballot box for kids to anonymously tell on other kids who are threatening them or killing animals in front of them. i bet we would all be surprised to hear about what our kids are really like....
NoFreakinWay

Memphis, TN

#19 Feb 14, 2011
I agree, but the "parent"... singular... isn't in any shape herself to even know how to teach that kid right from wrong. Anyone who walks in a bar at 7 months pregnant ordering a screwdriver isn't giving their children real effective "life lessons" at home. And yeah, im sorry that the kid has had to live that kind of life, but that doesn't mean my kid should have to be put in harms way because of it. My God what have we come to as a society where this is even a topic. and how sad is it TOPIX gets on here and reminds us not to post names of violent criminals because they are under age...
NoFreakinWay

Memphis, TN

#20 Feb 14, 2011
SOS Dif Day wrote:
<quoted text>
Bearcat : You are absolutely right, minors and other innocent peoples names are used on this site all the time. This is the first time in four years I've seen a moderator. And yes, I have sent very specific complaints to Topix regarding a variety of defamation. 2+2=4 Guess who complained ??? The innocent ?! Hmmmmmm....
I agree its BEYOND me and makes me question the "laws" when it comes to this and I too have seen COUNTLESS defamations and this is the ONLY SUBJECT that they have entered on ANYONES behalf. wow.
truth be told

Laramie, WY

#21 Feb 14, 2011
i do think he needs to attend echo for awhile. how long has it been since he stabbed the other kid?
Dean

United States

#22 Feb 15, 2011
AmIWrong wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't it illegal to publish a minor suspect's name in the news? I have only seen his name in random people's online rants.
I have seen both kids and heard there names on channel 3 news. Besides that I can't give much more info.
just the facts

Lake Park, GA

#23 Feb 15, 2011
Christopher can refuse this student. if they do, then they have to pay for the transportation and schooling cost at another school....this means a bus driver there and back,and every expense from the other school. The administration doesnt want to pay that cost. There are many students at that school that would benefit from a different school, but that would cut into the pay of the big wigs.

just the facts

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christopher Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shupes 19 min Awful 9
Why west frankfort is the way it is 29 min My son 31
Geos pizza 1 hr whatadump 40
What's Ole Jason Up To 3 hr SnakeCharmer 18
Dealer slugs 8 hr Word on the street 20
Gentleman needs a home Dec 9 Santa helper 1
Where’s kiley Smith? Dec 7 Bam 7

Christopher Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance