First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sickened

Olathe, KS

#1 Apr 15, 2014
Why is everyone required to attend the Athletic Directors meeting at the beginning of the school year and sign an athletic code if it isn't going to be enforced?(I am not here to bring in names of minors I just want to know what the thoughts are on the rules that are not being upheld).
Johnny Ringo

Marion, IL

#2 Apr 15, 2014
The code is always enforced.
But, there is a certain protocol that must be followed. "Common knowledge" isn't enough. The kids have rights.
hmm

Murphysboro, IL

#3 Apr 15, 2014
What rules have been broken? And agreed no names need to be mentioned cause they are minors
Johnny Ringo

Marion, IL

#4 Apr 15, 2014
This is the negative side of athletic codes. Everyone in town might think they "know" what is going on, and it makes the athletic department look foolish. I am in favor of letting parents and law enforcement do their jobs and coaches do theirs. If an athlete commits an infraction while at school or at an extra-curricular under the care of a sponsor or coach, then by all means suspend them or worse. Otherwise, the athletic department should be offering an alternative to at risk kids, not doubling up on the punishment.

Just my two cents. I know I'm in the minority.
i care

Lenexa, KS

#5 Apr 16, 2014
Who cares about the code..let's get some decent coaches up there and quit picking on little girls all the time
you know who u r. U live onLouis street with your kids.
is anyone abusing them. R u abusing them.your a low life and shouldn't be near kids.
Johnny Ringo

Marion, IL

#6 Apr 16, 2014
i care wrote:
Who cares about the code..let's get some decent coaches up there and quit picking on little girls all the time
you know who u r. U live onLouis street with your kids.
is anyone abusing them. R u abusing them.your a low life and shouldn't be near kids.
What in the world is this gibberish?
Johnny Ringo

Marion, IL

#7 Apr 16, 2014
Johnny Ringo wrote:
This is the negative side of athletic codes. Everyone in town might think they "know" what is going on, and it makes the athletic department look foolish. I am in favor of letting parents and law enforcement do their jobs and coaches do theirs. If an athlete commits an infraction while at school or at an extra-curricular under the care of a sponsor or coach, then by all means suspend them or worse. Otherwise, the athletic department should be offering an alternative to at risk kids, not doubling up on the punishment.
Just my two cents. I know I'm in the minority.
I have noticed that three people have voted to "disagree" with my position, and that's fine, of course. But, what part do you disagree with? What is your stance?
Sports Parent

Johnston City, IL

#8 Apr 16, 2014
Johnny Ringo wrote:
<quoted text>
I have noticed that three people have voted to "disagree" with my position, and that's fine, of course. But, what part do you disagree with? What is your stance?
When a student athlete signs the code, they are agreeing to abide by the rules set before them and to follow a particular standard, with consequences that will be enforced when the rules are broken. The student and parent must sign the athletic code. Therefore, it shouldn't be a surprise that the athlete will face consequences when the rules are broken. It is not a double punishment. The schools are on spring break this week. Once school is back in session, I'm sure this incident will be dealt with.
Johnny Ringo

Marion, IL

#9 Apr 16, 2014
Sports Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
When a student athlete signs the code, they are agreeing to abide by the rules set before them and to follow a particular standard, with consequences that will be enforced when the rules are broken. The student and parent must sign the athletic code. Therefore, it shouldn't be a surprise that the athlete will face consequences when the rules are broken. It is not a double punishment. The schools are on spring break this week. Once school is back in session, I'm sure this incident will be dealt with.
Right. I'm not disputing this.

I'm saying the "code" is stretching the school's authority to include incidents that are the business of parents and law enforcement only. It needs to be re-written.
what

Marion, IL

#10 Apr 16, 2014
What happened?
Joe Friday

Carbondale, IL

#11 Apr 16, 2014
No facts on this one, just an opinion. The athletic code has been in force for years. Everyone knows about it. I think that athletes should be held to a higher standard, because like it or not they are a representative of their school and their community. Because of this, I don't think that it is a stretch of school authority. Some of the parents won't discipline their kids anyway. They are to busy living the life they never had through their children, or reliving their "glory days" of high school through their kids. That is why sports in general creates a neanderthal attitude in a lot of kids which carries over into the adult life. The athletic code is a way that may keep them somewhat in line. Of course though the theory now is to not make kids responsible for anything. What has that accomplished for them.
Wondering

Marion, IL

#12 Apr 16, 2014
If the athletes should be held to a higher standard, should a coach that is aware of the situation be held to as high, or higher, a standard and expected to report the situation to school administration or the athletic director? Or impose the punishment set forth in the athletic code themselves if they, the coach, was aware of the infraction and those involved?
Joe Friday

Carbondale, IL

#13 Apr 16, 2014
Wondering wrote:
If the athletes should be held to a higher standard, should a coach that is aware of the situation be held to as high, or higher, a standard and expected to report the situation to school administration or the athletic director? Or impose the punishment set forth in the athletic code themselves if they, the coach, was aware of the infraction and those involved?
Yes. I think the coach should be the standard bearer. I think if the coach is 100% sure he should notify the A.D. or the Principal immediately. They should make the decision. That is their job. If he can not contact either of them, then he should impose punishment as quickly as possible. If the people above him have issues with that, then the problem is them not the coach. The coach could still decide not to play the offender if he so chooses. Lineups are purely the coaches decision. I do not know what incident this post was prompted by, but I would plead that discretion is used by all involved. Please do not name any children, or drop subtle hints as to any childs identity.
To Johnny ringo

United States

#14 Apr 17, 2014
To reply to why some might disagree with you is simply this, most parents do not discipline their children when incidents like this arise. It is considered a little "mistake" and they get a small slap on the wrist and they are back doing what they were doing before because there are no consequences. Most of the time, the parents are in denial about what their children are doing and when they are confronted with it finally, it is dismissed as a "little" mistake and nothing is done. So therefore, there should be consequences through the school as well especially if there is something signed saying they will not be involved in whatever negative activity it may be.
who is surprised

Carbondale, IL

#15 Apr 20, 2014
w.f schools have had double standards for years. why would anyone think this situation is different. the coach I question has no moral compass anyway.
Sad

Marion, IL

#16 Apr 21, 2014
The athletic code has been rewritten and is much more lenient than in years past. I have known athletes years ago that last entire seasons for breaking the athletic code and now I believe it is only a percentage of the season that is lost. I hope the school handles this situation when kids are back at school this week. It would be sending a very bad message to all of the other athletes if school officials ignore this break in the athletic code. I also believe the parents of a boy athlete who lost an entire bball season this year would have something to say about it too. The athletic code is signed by everyone and should be enforced to everyone regardless. I hope the school does the right thing. I guess we shall see.
what

Ashburn, VA

#17 Apr 21, 2014
I don't want names but would like to know what happened?
parent

Harrisburg, IL

#18 Apr 21, 2014
guess we'll know if it was addressed by going to an event and see if the athletes are participating. The eyes of the town are on you Mr. AD and coach. Do what's right and uphold the code. Fairly. Regardless of relation to the violating athletes. They must be held accountable same as any other.
Sad

Marion, IL

#19 Apr 21, 2014
what wrote:
I don't want names but would like to know what happened?
I don't want to give details but the athletic code was broken and nothing has been done to discipline. My sons team had an athlete suspended for an entire bball season this year. It's not right. Like I said in previous post hopefully something will be done when school is back this week.
Mom

West Frankfort, IL

#20 Apr 22, 2014
Remember, evidence cannot be hearsay.
Just because "everybody knows it" is not grounds to convict.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christopher Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tommy Shelton, brother of 3ABN's Danny Shelton,... (Feb '12) 3 min JC Press 7
West Frankfort vfw 28 min Local Vet 4
Kimmy (Mar '17) 47 min Kim Rules 65
Kim Ingoldsby/that kid she’s “married” to 48 min Kim for Mayor 2
Is Benton allowing bikers to take there town fr... 1 hr Riceburners 8
Kendra 1 hr OldGoat 23
Eric Slaten tree trimmer ripped me off 3 hr Frank 3

Christopher Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance