stick a fork in W.F. FOOTBALL
About the Benjamins

Herrin, IL

#47 Oct 22, 2013
Nobody cares about the kids. The FCHS athletic program is all about money, fundraisers, and THINGS-- like new equipment and uniforms. Even on here the debate is about wins and losses. At the core, high school sports are not about wins and losses but what the kids are getting out of it. When you reduce it to a W/L issue, you diminish the problem. The problem is not with a single coach, the problem is systemic. The athletes are supposed to be learning valuable life skills such as work ethic, responsibility, and how to build and nurture healthy working relationships. When you allegedly(!) have a dozen or more boys injecting themselves with illegal(!) performance enhancing substances, it shows that they have no faith in the system. They are taking shortcuts because there is no path laid out before them. That is the job of the athletic director--to ensure consistent development of each athlete within each sport. This requires an action plan, not just a fundraiser plan.

Development is not taking place because as long as the balance sheet is healthy, the program is believed to be healthy.

None of the kids care to know how big your pocket book is until they know that you care. Period.
Chilling

Herrin, IL

#48 Oct 22, 2013
Chances are they will not beat Carterville just sayin!...that would be 0-9
I'm going to say score 3 to 56 Carterville to win
aholes

Carterville, IL

#50 Oct 22, 2013
Roids this and Roids that..are you people dumb enough to believe that our team is juicing? If so..why haven't we won 1 game??
Dale

Herrin, IL

#51 Oct 24, 2013
We need a new athletic director. All the teams in WF SUCK!!!
Dale

Herrin, IL

#52 Oct 24, 2013
Did you know we have$200,000 in the athletic fund just sitting there. Parents have to buy uniforms!! Why do we keep having fundraisers?
abc

Ballwin, MO

#53 Oct 24, 2013
I wouldn't say they all suck... I can think of one (boys team)off of the top of my head that I know for a fact will compete for a regional title, and state birth.
Dale

Herrin, IL

#54 Oct 24, 2013
We have one group of boys playing basketball that might win. In most towns, if you lose, the coach has to go. Our coaches can lose for many years. WF accepts losing like it is our destiny. The kids expect to lose. I hear them talk first hand.
opps

Herrin, IL

#55 Oct 24, 2013
I was at the game the other night and have a ??? why do the cheerleaders megaphones don't match how may girls were cheering?? do they only place the Varsity ?? just curious
wow

Marion, IL

#56 Oct 24, 2013
Okay I have been in beerys weight class and I gained more muscle and strength in one year than I did the two years before he even got there so he knows what he is doing... as far as football our guys are little scrawny things no offense but when every other town has huge players it doesn't mix and if you actually went and paid attention to these seniors they care about getting off to college and girls they are not in it to win it...unless they are going to college for football and it takes years to find out what works and doesn't with teams! You can't fix a failing system over night...
Parrot

Herrin, IL

#57 Oct 25, 2013
"Every other town has huge players it doesn't mix." I thought you said everyone was gaining muscle and strength? Those kids from other towns have been in high school the same length of time as everyone else.

"If you actually went and paid attention to these seniors they care about getting off to college." Maybe someone should have let them know that NOT playing football was an option. That way they could have gotten off to college more easily. I feel sorry for the basketball, baseball, and track coaches. Come spring, those seniors will be really concerned with getting off to college.

"It takes years to find out what works and doesn't with teams." The same applies to coaches. That's why you fire the ones that don't work after a reasonable period of time.
Berra

Sesser, IL

#58 Oct 25, 2013
Dale wrote:
We have one group of boys playing basketball that might win. In most towns, if you lose, the coach has to go. Our coaches can lose for many years. WF accepts losing like it is our destiny. The kids expect to lose. I hear them talk first hand.
Name ONE area town that fired a high school coach for wins and losses.

This isn't the New York Yankees.
Grad10

Herrin, IL

#59 Oct 25, 2013
Should be called Wrecking ball football!!!
Grad10

Herrin, IL

#60 Oct 25, 2013
Maybe Carterville will let them win,,, just sayin,,give them at least one win!
Dale

Herrin, IL

#61 Oct 25, 2013
Berra, what do you mean nobody fires coaches for losing. They may not fire them publicly, they are asked to resign or they will be fired. Our baseball teams never win, our football teams never win, our golf teams never win, Our track teams never win. Wake up people, our AD needs to go!!!
dick

Carbondale, IL

#62 Oct 25, 2013
0-9 what a fine year look forward to next year
Teacher

Herrin, IL

#63 Oct 26, 2013
Dale wrote:
Berra, what do you mean nobody fires coaches for losing. They may not fire them publicly, they are asked to resign or they will be fired. Our baseball teams never win, our football teams never win, our golf teams never win, Our track teams never win. Wake up people, our AD needs to go!!!
Like he said, name one.
It's high school sports in southern Illinois, not the pros.

By the way, the track team is petty successful.
Chillin

Herrin, IL

#64 Oct 26, 2013
Omgosh 0-9 nothing else to say but wow!
Teacher

Herrin, IL

#66 Oct 26, 2013
Wake up wrote:
The problem is the athletic director. He only cares about the fundraising for the boys programs. As long as he and his family can walk around in their Redbird clothing and act like they are better than everyone else then he is happy. Doesn't care about the losses, doesn't care about the bad coaches, doesn't care about the lack of discipline that our teams have. It starts from the top and trickles down. We could bring in the best coaches around but as long as he is at the helm our programs stay the same. I shake my head when I look back and see the rapid decline of our program. Every town around us in building these amazing programs with quality coaches as we stand back and take a beating in every sport. This town is producing athletes with potential, no excuses there. But these athletes can't reach their full potential when they are not being taught the skills and discipline needed to succeed. Our kids are being left behind and are victims of this man who worried more about his ego than anything else. Have you ever talked to the man? Excuses, lies and turns his head to reality. I would love to know what wf's all combined sports record has been with him as athletic director. Guarantee it has dropped every year. Not much to be proud of there regardless of how much money you can raise for the boys programs. Money isn't going to make people think he is a good athletic director. We can look at our bottom of the barrel program and see that with our own eyes. It's time to put the kids first and get rid of him. I'm sure most people wouldn't care if all the money he has raised would transfer to just pay him to retire now.
It looks like many people here do not understand the job description of the WF high school A.D. He is actually doing an outstanding job. The coaches he has in place in football, basketball, and track are quality young men who care about the students. Fund appropriation, care and upgrade of the facilities, and securing officials for each contest are his chief responsibilities. I'm not sure what the vendetta is against Richard, but as a coach from a rival town, he seems to me to be one of the better AD's in southern illinois.
Agree

Saint Louis, MO

#67 Oct 26, 2013
From a former Redbird who now lives n Marion your athletic program and director is the laughing stock of all of southern Illinois. In most towns the coaches are held to a standard and are expected to produce a good season for the sport they coach. Your programs are full of coaches who lose year after year. Why are they kept around? Because it's easy for your AD to just keep them rather than actually look for a quality coach. Plus, the people in your district or town that would be quality coaches are passed up because your AD controls everything. How many of u wf people are aware that there are highly qualified coaches who teach in your district that aren't given a chance to coach in wf and are coaching in other districts? Yes, you have wf teachers who teach in your district and then coach against those kids. These people have been passed up for coaching jobs in your district. Do you think these other towns mind taking your qualified coaches that won't get hired to coach in wf? Nope, not one bit. Your loss in their gain.
Teacher

Herrin, IL

#68 Oct 26, 2013
Agree wrote:
From a former Redbird who now lives n Marion your athletic program and director is the laughing stock of all of southern Illinois. In most towns the coaches are held to a standard and are expected to produce a good season for the sport they coach. Your programs are full of coaches who lose year after year. Why are they kept around? Because it's easy for your AD to just keep them rather than actually look for a quality coach. Plus, the people in your district or town that would be quality coaches are passed up because your AD controls everything. How many of u wf people are aware that there are highly qualified coaches who teach in your district that aren't given a chance to coach in wf and are coaching in other districts? Yes, you have wf teachers who teach in your district and then coach against those kids. These people have been passed up for coaching jobs in your district. Do you think these other towns mind taking your qualified coaches that won't get hired to coach in wf? Nope, not one bit. Your loss in their gain.
I call BS. Do you have any specific examples?
Do you know the current WF coaches? If so, you wouldn't be saying this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christopher Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
crystal slypnasty dawn fat ass scooter girl cole 22 min Crystal Slicknoti... 12
Drug dealer snitch 7 hr Toobad 1
Drug house Sun good riddance 21
Kimmy Fri hmm 4
Topix Mar 24 Wenow 3
june allyson Steeley Mar 23 What 2
Poor Kimmy Mar 22 agree 25

Christopher Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance