Something is rotten in this county

Posted in the Chipley Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Whats going on

Chipley, FL

#1 Apr 29, 2012
If a political candidate pays a local ad firm, that firm will promote them. The TDC gives a non-profit organization a bunch of money to use to promote their event (Blue Grass) and the same local ad firm mentioned in first sentence also works for the TDC. The event takes place including being sponsored by a political candidate that has also employed the local ad firm to represent him. When all is said and done and the excerpts and photos of the event are seen on tv, facebook, etc. only the candidates that had paid the local ad firm is seen. How can the TDC put on a political showcase for a few???
Brilliant

Chipley, FL

#2 Apr 29, 2012
Congratulations. You have just figured out what our entire political system is based on...$$$$$$$
Soooooooo correct

Chipley, FL

#3 Apr 29, 2012
Whats going on wrote:
If a political candidate pays a local ad firm, that firm will promote them. The TDC gives a non-profit organization a bunch of money to use to promote their event (Blue Grass) and the same local ad firm mentioned in first sentence also works for the TDC. The event takes place including being sponsored by a political candidate that has also employed the local ad firm to represent him. When all is said and done and the excerpts and photos of the event are seen on tv, facebook, etc. only the candidates that had paid the local ad firm is seen. How can the TDC put on a political showcase for a few???
Was wondering how this particular guy got so much publicity. I wonder how much he put out to have his name as a sponsor. How much did the TDC invest in this? Sounds like a conflict of interest on the ad agencies part.
wondering

Chipley, FL

#4 Apr 29, 2012
Who governs the TDC, where does their money come from, where would we find their budget, who is the local ad agency and why would a local candidate need to hire an ad agency?
stumped

Chipley, FL

#5 Apr 30, 2012
I've tried to find info about the tourist development council like who is on the board, link between them and the county commissioners, etc. and have failed. Can anyone give me some help? When I go to their website about all I get is a link to the real Florida online magazine and as original poster said they are showcasing a few candidates. Would be interested to know if these are the ones who hired an ad agency for a local election. Any dude not smart enough to manage their own campaign does not need to be in running our local government.
Simple

Panama City, FL

#6 Apr 30, 2012
stumped wrote:
I've tried to find info about the tourist development council like who is on the board, link between them and the county commissioners, etc. and have failed. Can anyone give me some help? When I go to their website about all I get is a link to the real Florida online magazine and as original poster said they are showcasing a few candidates. Would be interested to know if these are the ones who hired an ad agency for a local election. Any dude not smart enough to manage their own campaign does not need to be in running our local government.
Have you called their office? They are happy to explain, I am sure. I am not certain about their work but know they operate off of something called the 'bed tax'. And they do report to the BOCC. There are some good people working to promote our county & bring in tourism. But like I said, I am sure they would be happy to talk to you, if you just call.
Ted Everett

Chipley, FL

#7 May 3, 2012
The Washington County TDC is funded soley with and by a bed tax. The bed tax is levied on the hotels and campgrounds and any entity that lodges individuals. Washington County citizens do not pay this tax unless you stay in one of our hotels or campgrounds.
The TDC submits its budget to the BOCC every year for approval. When people or events come to us for money they have an application to fill out and if they are awarded any funds, they are told that it is highly suggested that 2/3 of the money be spent outside of the County in advertisement in order to draw in people from outside the county in order to get them to spend their money in our county.
The organizations are NOT told to use any particular agency for their advertising, this is up to them.
Our meetings are on the last Monday of the month, are advertised in the newspapers and are open to the public.
I invite anyone who has questions or wants to see how we operate to come to our meetings.

Ted Everett
TDC Member
Finally

Panama City, FL

#8 May 3, 2012
Ted Everett wrote:
The Washington County TDC is funded soley with and by a bed tax. The bed tax is levied on the hotels and campgrounds and any entity that lodges individuals. Washington County citizens do not pay this tax unless you stay in one of our hotels or campgrounds.
The TDC submits its budget to the BOCC every year for approval. When people or events come to us for money they have an application to fill out and if they are awarded any funds, they are told that it is highly suggested that 2/3 of the money be spent outside of the County in advertisement in order to draw in people from outside the county in order to get them to spend their money in our county.
The organizations are NOT told to use any particular agency for their advertising, this is up to them.
Our meetings are on the last Monday of the month, are advertised in the newspapers and are open to the public.
I invite anyone who has questions or wants to see how we operate to come to our meetings.
Ted Everett
TDC Member
thank you for paying attention and giving an honest reply. It is truly good to see someone in a position that reading the post's here on the site where people come to say what is really on their mind that they would not normally say in public. thanks again ted.
Are You Kidding

Havana, FL

#9 May 3, 2012
Someone told me about this today. Do you mean to tell me that an executive at our county chamber actually RESPONDS TO INDIVIDUALS ON THIS SITE????
According to the post time, Ted Everitt did this on his PAID WORK TIME!!!!! GIve me a break! I can not believe that this "so called" professional person would do this! Unbelievable!!!!
Finally

Panama City, FL

#10 May 3, 2012
Are You Kidding wrote:
Someone told me about this today. Do you mean to tell me that an executive at our county chamber actually RESPONDS TO INDIVIDUALS ON THIS SITE????
According to the post time, Ted Everitt did this on his PAID WORK TIME!!!!! GIve me a break! I can not believe that this "so called" professional person would do this! Unbelievable!!!!
YOU BITCH when they dont reply...you BITCH when they do... at least someone is paying attention, I for one would like to say thank you Mr, everette
JUST WONDERING

Panama City, FL

#11 May 4, 2012
Are You Kidding wrote:
Why are you complaining that Mr. Everitt is doing this on his "PAID WORK TIME!!!"? It would appear to me, that he is trying to stay on top of things by reading and responding to interested individuals. I would think that part of his paid work time duties is to stay abreast of things so as to keep down mistrust and to keep open communication to the public. Wouldn't it be great if the commissioners would read some of this stuff and respond to it on their "paid work time" instead of drawing gas allowances, buying new furniture,getting the county sued and sued and sued? If we're writing stuff on topix, certainly we want someone to read it.
Are You Kidding

Havana, FL

#12 May 4, 2012
Mr. Everett is not paid to monitor a "gossip" forum. If someone has a viable question that warrants his professional attention, they should call his office. It's embarrassing for the city that he would correspond on this forum. It is not professional or ethical!!!!
oh nooo

Panama City, FL

#13 May 5, 2012
And what is professional or ethical in WC?
So Be It

Enterprise, AL

#14 May 5, 2012
Are You Kidding wrote:
Mr. Everett is not paid to monitor a "gossip" forum. If someone has a viable question that warrants his professional attention, they should call his office. It's embarrassing for the city that he would correspond on this forum. It is not professional or ethical!!!!
Good Lord. How do you know he responded on his paid time? And, what if he did? If this forum is so bad, then why the h--- are you reading and responding to it? He is paid to respond to whatever negative questions are rasied about the County in any forum or way that presents itself. Give him a call and express your opinion, but frankly I appreciate his response to these questions.
get over yourself

United States

#15 May 5, 2012
I agree..you asked the question and now you have the answer from a member of the group you questioned. Whats wrong "are you kidding"? Did it mess up your bitching session by someone posting the truth? Grow up and go get a job.
hey now

Defuniak Springs, FL

#16 May 6, 2012
sounds like everett is doing a good job. The tdc guy in okaloosa county stole a couple of million then went to alabama and committed suicide. I think they are going to study his brain like they are doing the football dudes.
Funny

United States

#17 May 15, 2012
This is a prime example as to why this site should be band from existance. Mr Everett invited you to his meetings and answered a question. A political candidate paid someone money (which I perfectly legal to do) to advertise for him and you bash them for no good reason. If this web sight actually stuck to discussions instead of gossip spreading and slandering it would be ok. Mr Everett would have done just as well to have told you to get bent and it was none of your business. He would have got the same amount of positive responses as negative ones. I would never respond to anyone on this sight. It is the work of the devil.
Citizen

Enterprise, AL

#18 May 15, 2012
Hey, Funny!!! What was that amendment number again?
curious

Chipley, FL

#19 May 16, 2012
Is there any HONEST elected officials in Washington county? If so, please point them out!
here ya go

Chipley, FL

#20 May 16, 2012
if we pointed them out you would bash them any way. Helen McIntyre, Linda Cook and Gil Carter come to mind as honest politicans.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chipley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New to Sunny Hills 1 hr New to Sunny Hills 29
Civic ass newsletter (Jan '11) 1 hr get rid off civ ass 299
Jimmy Everett 9 hr ceamf 7
BOCC Meeting 10 hr Settlement 40
Interracial couple behind Florida same-sex marr... Thu DNF 71
4 charged in tax fraud, identity theft scheme Thu Jethro 3
good ole boy politics at its best! Thu UPSET VERNON PARENT 4
Chipley Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web