First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Concerned Parent

Deltona, FL

#1 Jan 16, 2013
This past week was literacy week. The students at CHS read Fahrenheit 451.. This book Is terrible! My daughter came home crying from the terrible used in the book.. Such as GD... CHS should be ashamed for exposing our children to this terrible language! Whoever approved this book is horrible.. I hope next time parent signatures are taken before our children are exposed to this foul language...
so stupid

United States

#2 Jan 16, 2013
She cried from the terrible language? Turn off her radio and take her cell phone away and delete her facebook account...school ain't the only place she's hearing it lady!
Concerned Parent

Deltona, FL

#3 Jan 16, 2013
so stupid wrote:
She cried from the terrible language? Turn off her radio and take her cell phone away and delete her facebook account...school ain't the only place she's hearing it lady!
I'm a man.. A sensitive man
so stupid

United States

#4 Jan 16, 2013
Concerned Parent wrote:
<quoted text> I'm a man.. A sensitive man
well Mr. Sensitive maybe you should home school so you can control the language. However, the minute she leaves she's exposed again. To blame CHS is ridiculous! Are you blaming public radio, television, etc..? Hey, did you know that even Green Eggs and Ham was a banned book at one time? Has she ever read that? Save your complaining for bigger issues!
Concerned Parent

Panama City, FL

#5 Jan 16, 2013
so stupid wrote:
<quoted text> well Mr. Sensitive maybe you should home school so you can control the language. However, the minute she leaves she's exposed again. To blame CHS is ridiculous! Are you blaming public radio, television, etc..? Hey, did you know that even Green Eggs and Ham was a banned book at one time? Has she ever read that? Save your complaining for bigger issues!
yes I do blame the tv and radio. Also I do blame CHS. She has no cellphone or Facebook. All she reads is the bible. And I do not allow green eggs and ham in my house.. It's the devil. Maybe you could learn a few things from my family.. Your family is a bunch of whores.
stone age

Panama City Beach, FL

#6 Jan 16, 2013
funny the book farenheit 451 was banned from schools once before....guess history is repeating itself
wow wow

Chipley, FL

#8 Jan 16, 2013
Wow bible man, does your church teaches you to use such word WHORE?If you are such holy man why you call someone who you don't know in such way?You pray in front of everybody and whem nobody esse you you stab in the back.Please,don't post your "holy" way of thinking on Topix.Apage satanas.
wow wow

Chipley, FL

#9 Jan 16, 2013
sorry- sees you
Concerned Parent

Deltona, FL

#10 Jan 16, 2013
wow wow wrote:
Wow bible man, does your church teaches you to use such word WHORE?If you are such holy man why you call someone who you don't know in such way?You pray in front of everybody and whem nobody esse you you stab in the back.Please,don't post your "holy" way of thinking on Topix.Apage satanas.
yes mam.. I'm so sorry.. Liars go to hell rev 21:8
wow wow

Chipley, FL

#11 Jan 16, 2013
I'm a man..A sensitive man.
so stupid

United States

#12 Jan 16, 2013
wow wow wrote:
I'm a man..A sensitive man.
this made me laugh!
Liberal

Blountstown, FL

#13 Jan 16, 2013
It's really funny because Fahrenheit 451 is about the banning and burning and censoring of books. 451F is the temperature at which paper burns, hence the name.
Geezus. Get over your butthurt, biblebanger.
Concerned Parent

Deltona, FL

#14 Jan 16, 2013
Liberal wrote:
It's really funny because Fahrenheit 451 is about the banning and burning and censoring of books. 451F is the temperature at which paper burns, hence the name.
Geezus. Get over your butthurt, biblebanger.
you're loose butthole. Go shit skittles..
SoulCrusher

Blountstown, FL

#15 Jan 16, 2013
Concerned Parent wrote:
<quoted text> you're loose butthole. Go shit skittles..
We should ban you from the internet to protect your potato head daughter from coming across this and reading it. Imagine how your potato would cry if she saw biblebanger daddy/uncle using such language?
SoulCrusher

Blountstown, FL

#16 Jan 16, 2013
Concerned Parent wrote:
Are you sensitive...man?
wow wow

Panama City, FL

#17 Jan 16, 2013
Yehhhhh,what a sensitive man.I'm sorry he has kids.
so stupid

United States

#18 Jan 16, 2013
Concerned Parent wrote:
such language! Maybe you should borrow your daughters bible
Go Figure

Chipley, FL

#19 Jan 16, 2013
Concerned Parent is probably too busy beating his wife to read his daughter's bible ... this is classic Chipley ...
Obey the Signs

Winter Haven, FL

#20 Jan 16, 2013
Ironically, Fahrenheit 451, an indictment of censorship, was itself censored by its publisher for thirteen years before Bradbury himself became aware of that. In 1967, Ballantine published an expurgated version of the novel to be used in high schools. Such words as “hell,”“damn” and “abortion” were eliminated.

In a novel of approximately one hundred and fifty pages, seventy-five passages were modified. Two episodes were actually changed. In one episode, a drunken man is changed to a sick man. In another, cleaning fluff out of a human naval becomes, in the expurgated version, cleaning ears.

The expurgations went unnoticed because readers did not compare this version to the original. The copyright page did not indicate any edits. The expurgated version ran for ten printings. At the same time, the authentic “adult” version was sold outside of high schools to the world at large. In 1973, after six years of publishing both editions, the publisher decided to publish only the censored work, so from 1973 to 1979 only that version was sold.

In 1979, one of Bradbury’s friends showed him an expurgated copy. Bradbury demanded that Ballantine Books withdraw that version and replace it with the original, and in 1980 the original version once again became available. In this reinstated work, in the Author’s Afterword, Bradbury relates to the reader that it is not uncommon for a publisher to expurgate an author’s work, but he asserts that he himself will not tolerate the practice of manuscript “mutilation.”

In 1981, as a direct result of the Fahrenheit 451 incident, the American Library Association became actively involved in censorship issues. Bradbury, a fan of libraries since childhood, may have influenced this decision. The ALA’s Intellectual Freedom Committee, Young Adult division, looked further into the censorship of books in the schools and discovered other books that had been censored, some of which were award-winning works.

The censorship of Fahrenheit 451 raises many issues: legality, copyright, a sense of responsibility to readers as well as the author, and the lack of forthrightness on the publisher’s part. Were the company publishers aware of this censorship? Apparently, the editors involved believed they were performing a public service.

Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451 became a classic overnight. It remains a classic even though it has been through the censorship and expurgation wars.
CHS concerned student

Chipley, FL

#21 Jan 16, 2013
I hear all kinds of language at CHS. You cant stop it and neither can I. But it is not the place of the CHS administration and teachers to subject us to language of this nature.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chipley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Get Back to Work 2 hr Freedom 15
DUI convictions 4 hr old timer 3
sunny hill news (Jan '16) 20 hr get rid of civ ass 139
Young's Piggly Wiggly - Chipley PRICES ARE UP Sat old man 14
Truth about chipley. (Feb '13) Dec 2 twilight zone 136
washington county growing Dec 1 Queenofthesouth 11
Shelly the scammer (Aug '14) Dec 1 wow 829

Chipley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance