Chino Valley district to close down i...

Chino Valley district to close down its adult school program

There are 240 comments on the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin story from Feb 25, 2010, titled Chino Valley district to close down its adult school program. In it, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin reports that:

Teachers and students are reeling from a school board decision to close the Chino Valley Unified Adult School on July 1. The adult school had been working with an annual budget of $1.2 million.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Inland Valley Daily Bulletin.

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Alt ed tchr

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#1 Feb 25, 2010
Although I feel for the adult ed students, It is a school districts priority to focus on k-12. I have so many students who don't care about getting "F's" or poor grade because they say this will get an adult diploma because it's less credits. I've warned my students with the mentality of "play now and pay letter" that closing down alt ed programs will soon happen with their school districts. It's a shame that it is taking this difficult economy for so many to realize that education should have been a priority a lot sooner.
Alternatives

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Feb 25, 2010
For the adult students, I believe that you can go to any adult school program offered by other districts. There is no district boundary for adult programs.

Don't give up...
Community member

AOL

#3 Feb 25, 2010
Alt ed tchr wrote:
Although I feel for the adult ed students, It is a school districts priority to focus on k-12. I have so many students who don't care about getting "F's" or poor grade because they say this will get an adult diploma because it's less credits. I've warned my students with the mentality of "play now and pay letter" that closing down alt ed programs will soon happen with their school districts. It's a shame that it is taking this difficult economy for so many to realize that education should have been a priority a lot sooner.
Some students don't "get it" until they mature. By cutting Adult School options, you are dooming young adults to low wages. Currently, students don't have access to summer school or adult school while they are in grades 9-11....so, they are not helping the k-12 community.

Why should our community fail to provide services to it's own citizens and expect other communities to do so? This district is paying out huge amounts for lawsuits. The young adults and community members are paying the price.
What

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Feb 26, 2010
Community member wrote:
<quoted text>
Some students don't "get it" until they mature. By cutting Adult School options, you are dooming young adults to low wages. Currently, students don't have access to summer school or adult school while they are in grades 9-11....so, they are not helping the k-12 community.
Why should our community fail to provide services to it's own citizens and expect other communities to do so? This district is paying out huge amounts for lawsuits. The young adults and community members are paying the price.
The district and the tax payors did not "DOOM" these adults they "DOOMED" themselves. It is about time these people took responsibility for their foolishness. If nothing else this is a life lesson for those contemplating the same course of action. In this district, County, State and Country the kids drop out not because school is too hard but because life here is too easy.
Let the lesson be learned!!!!
Resident

Moreno Valley, CA

#5 Feb 26, 2010
The Chino District is a joke. At one time, it was the jewel of this city, now it's just sad! The option of closing schools, whether it be elementary or adult, should be a last result. In addition, now that the district is on "improvement" status, things may get worse. I am an educator, and my children attend a school in the area. From what they tell me, their teachers seem unqualified, burned out and unable to to deliver a quality education. This district is broken and needs to be fixed immediately!
adult learner

La Verne, CA

#6 Feb 26, 2010
Many people finish traditional high school only to discover that they do not have the skills to actually function in the working world. The need for adult education is there because so many traditional schools are run like an automobile factory. The product is moved along an assembly line until it is pushed off the end of the line- yes, some cars run but others have problems - they need time in the shop, some even get recalled.
We have put our children in a school "factory". They are pushed along until they hit 18 and then are pushed out ready or not. Some come out ready for the road ahead, others need some tune ups.
Education is not finite and is not limited by a calendar date.
Education is a life-long process. Adult school students return to school to fix what is missing from the education that they received in the traditional system. They need to retrain for a changing job market and they need to be able to function more effectively in their communities.
I am sorry for the Chino community for their loss. The damage may be irreparable.
Mark

Kapolei, HI

#7 Feb 26, 2010
Dear Resident, You got that right.
NothingNicetoSay

United States

#8 Feb 26, 2010
Resident wrote:
The Chino District is a joke. At one time, it was the jewel of this city, now it's just sad! The option of closing schools, whether it be elementary or adult, should be a last result. In addition, now that the district is on "improvement" status, things may get worse. I am an educator, and my children attend a school in the area. From what they tell me, their teachers seem unqualified, burned out and unable to to deliver a quality education. This district is broken and needs to be fixed immediately!
The district will get worse unless we can elect honest and intelligent board members. Board members, like Calta, that use their special ed kids for sympathy, have to go.
peace

Pomona, CA

#9 Feb 26, 2010
Another calta blunder, first latino schools targeted and closed, now predominatley latino adults targeted and adult school closed, wake up people...How can you not see what is happening, as Orozco sits by and does nothing, she grew up a few blocks here the proposed site. Calta and his agenda must go!
Councilman

United States

#10 Feb 26, 2010
peace wrote:
Another calta blunder, first latino schools targeted and closed, now predominatley latino adults targeted and adult school closed, wake up people...How can you not see what is happening, as Orozco sits by and does nothing, she grew up a few blocks here the proposed site. Calta and his agenda must go!
Calta will deny closing of the schools is his fault. This adult school closing, WHICH CALTA VOTED FOR, is another example of his attitude towards Hispanics as second class citizens.
Eddie

Moreno Valley, CA

#11 Feb 26, 2010
Thank god Michael Calta focused so much effort on stopping gay marriages rather than manage the district. It is obvious now that gay marriage was the true threat to children and adult receiving an education
some guy

Moreno Valley, CA

#12 Feb 26, 2010
Community member wrote:
<quoted text>
Some students don't "get it" until they mature. By cutting Adult School options, you are dooming young adults to low wages. Currently, students don't have access to summer school or adult school while they are in grades 9-11....so, they are not helping the k-12 community.
Why should our community fail to provide services to it's own citizens and expect other communities to do so? This district is paying out huge amounts for lawsuits. The young adults and community members are paying the price.
so you say let the students that "don't get it" have a free ride??? oh don't worry about your education you can make it up later?? wake up!!!!
Councilman

United States

#13 Feb 26, 2010
ALL of the hate and discontent in these blogs is brought about by Calta. You Mormons/LDSs should not gang up against others because of Calta. He and his motives are evil!
A Pride

Walnut, CA

#14 Feb 26, 2010
Mt. San Antonio College has an Adult Basic Education Department that runs a GED and Adult Diploma Program. Contact them for more information.
The Real Deal

Moreno Valley, CA

#15 Feb 26, 2010
This decision was 100% correct. A GED is of no value in todays job market so there's absolutely no reason why CVUSD should continue to operate a worthless program.
Chino ll

Hesperia, CA

#16 Feb 26, 2010
Resident wrote:
The Chino District is a joke. At one time, it was the jewel of this city, now it's just sad! The option of closing schools, whether it be elementary or adult, should be a last result. In addition, now that the district is on "improvement" status, things may get worse. I am an educator, and my children attend a school in the area. From what they tell me, their teachers seem unqualified, burned out and unable to to deliver a quality education. This district is broken and needs to be fixed immediately!
They say Chino Unified budget was cut 30% from Sacramento idiots then, Chino Unified should reduce 30% across the board ie, fire 30% of all teachers/district employees( or reduce 30% of ALL salaries) and equally reduce 30 % of all programs instead of concentrating/eliminating one particular step-child service(s).
Pan Bimbo

Jolon, CA

#17 Feb 26, 2010
A Pride wrote:
Mt. San Antonio College has an Adult Basic Education Department that runs a GED and Adult Diploma Program. Contact them for more information.
While some community colleges have offered basic skills classes well, most, because of curricular design, instructional models, class schedules and understanding of adult learning theory, have not remotely served adult learners of marginalized groups... at least not like public adult schools. Community colleges still as a culture are stuck in pedagogy, not andragogy. The serve best "13th and 14th grades", not working adults. Those with least resources and access get hit the hardest.
JEM

Yermo, CA

#18 Feb 26, 2010
Once you have become an adult you should pay for your own education, whether it is the adult school program or college.
NothingNiceToSay

United States

#19 Feb 26, 2010
Calta has Julie Gobin received her March 15 notice?
sympathizer

Pomona, CA

#20 Feb 26, 2010
It is a shame that the latino community does not organize and see what is really happening. Calta was elected on the basis of serving students with special needs. That was just a cover up, he blames the past superintendent for the closure of the schools. Why did the district target latino school closures, if it was because of low scores, why did he(calta) not focus on improving the school sites with better teachers and an aggresive plan for improvement. DR. Heatley did not have a backing he should have with this board and that is why he left. Now he(calta) closes the adult program, which serves a hard working latino community.
The latino community is not a second class people, but yet they are still treated in this manner.
I blame the latino community for not taking a stand against this board and Michael Calta. We might as well call him "master" or "jefe", and pick his fruit and mow his lawn like we did in the early Chino days.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chino Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 29 min Brew In 35,547
News Pence on Kim Jong Una s sister: I ignored her Mon C Kersey 1
News Upland teacher's sex abuse case will now go to ... (Apr '10) Feb 14 Kornho Granny 20
News La Verne special needs teachera s aid accused o... Feb 13 Kornho Granny 6
News Californians voted to spend billions on more wa... Feb 12 Solarman 1
Is SkimmingWorld real??? (Feb '17) Feb 10 millaThrilla 22
News 85 Degrees Celsius Bakery Cafe opens, expands R... Jan 27 Delicious Alta Lima 1

Chino Hills Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chino Hills Mortgages