Charter still has sights for Los Serranos

Full story: Inland Valley Daily Bulletin

An attorney for Oxford Preparatory Academy has requested the Chino Valley Unified School District reconsider having the charter school operate out of the former Los Serranos Elementary School.
Comments
1 - 20 of 311 Comments Last updated Jun 2, 2010
First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Puzzled

Chino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2010

Why are the OPA proponents so adamant in trying to obtain the Los Serranos site? I had heard OPA already had a coomercial office space which would be used for their school. What gives? I guess they really want that Hills zip code to make Hagman and Graham happy.
If the district rolls over and gives OPA the Los Serranos site, then OPA should pay top dollar for this awesome school site. Such a shame that the District chose to move the kids from Los Serranos to the inadequately suited Glenmeade location. The kids at Glenmeade could have easily been accommodated at the Los Serranos site with plenty of elbow room.
Hey Board members and Superintendent Joseph, here's an idea. Re-open Los Serranos and bring the Glenmeade kids over and then OPA can have the Glenmeade site. OPA gets their Hills zip code and the Los Serranos community gets their school back. In this manner, you could save money that is spent on bussing the Los Serranos kids to Glenmeade. Again, Los Serranos has plenty of space. Upon re-opening of the Los Serranos site, if there are still buildings not being utilized by the elementary school, you could use the buildingis for the Virtual High School. This would be a win-win-win situation.
Paul

Hacienda Heights, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2010

This school will do nothing but drain funds from the district and the higher performing kids. What will this leave for the other schools?
Mick Holdem

Pomona, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2010

No friggin' way they will get Los Serranos. OPA is screwing up royally.
do your homework

Rialto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2010

Better than having "buena vista high school" moved there.
taxpayer

Chino Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2010

Judged:

Mick Holdem wrote:
No friggin' way they will get Los Serranos. OPA is screwing up royally.
how r they screwing up? el rancho people have made it clear they are not happy with opa going there, and opa applied for LS before the board even decided to make it a virtual mess. here comes another lawsuit and waste of taxpayer $. District, why r u so adament against opa going to LS? afraid of a little competition???
taxpayer

Chino Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2010

Paul wrote:
This school will do nothing but drain funds from the district and the higher performing kids. What will this leave for the other schools?
dude, cvusd has done a pretty good job of draining funds on their own. last time i checked, our budget problems have been created pre-opa. what am i thinking? money is more important than kids and education, right arnold? so glad we have u as our governator, and you r setting such a fine example for our ignorant, non-independent thinking taxpayers. if all the higher performing kids want to go there, why are the lower performing kids not forming a line out the door? that is what is wrong with our society. people complain they don't have the best, but when it comes down to working for it, laziness and excuses set in.
against snobs

Ontario, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2010

I was considering OPA, but they seem to be too snobby. They are too good for the site offered because it is not the area they want. I wonder how the childen will be treated if they too are not from the desired area.
anyword

Fullerton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2010

I'm sure sneaky Calta will block OPA from LS using the same tactics he did to disguise the alternative school as a virtual school. Sneaky!

Since: Mar 10

Chino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2010

Judged:

anyword wrote:
I'm sure sneaky Calta will block OPA from LS using the same tactics he did to disguise the alternative school as a virtual school. Sneaky!
I think there is some confusion about Los Serranos uses. Los Serranos uses include the Professional Development Center and Media Center (frees up the industrial bldg on Ramona to be leased out for increased revenue), the consolidated independent study program (provides cost savings)and the Virtual High School (recaptures ADA revenue).

Buena Vista (alternative education campus) remains at its current location on Ramona. Uses for Los Serranos have been in the planning stages since before OPA submitted its first application. Even though I was not present to vote on the board's offer of El Rancho/El Rancho - Magnolia to OPA in January, I support the board's offer (4-0) barring any legal requirement to do otherwise. I believe the approved uses for Los Serranos and the approved offer to OPA meet the educational needs of OPA/CVUSD students alike which view appears to be supported by Mrs. Roche's previous comments complimenting the El Rancho site for its attributes.

Chino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2010

taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>how r they screwing up? el rancho people have made it clear they are not happy with opa going there, and opa applied for LS before the board even decided to make it a virtual mess. here comes another lawsuit and waste of taxpayer $. District, why r u so adament against opa going to LS? afraid of a little competition???
I recall similar oppostion from Los Serranos citizens towards OPA has also been voiced.

The planning for Los Serranos has been in the works before OPA even submitted its first charter application with tremendous amount of staff hours and resources dedicated to the effort.

I guess I would ask a similar question, "Is OPA adamant against being at El Rancho despite Mrs. Roche's comments suggesting otherwise? If so, why or why not?"
Citizen

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2010

OPA wants that location for the type of clientele they want to attract. They view the Los Serranos area as more affluent and want to come out of the gate with good scores to show how magical the staff is. El rancho will not provide students with the same socioeconmic status so the test scores would be weaker thereby exposing the true usefulness of the charter as a drain on district funds.
Average Jane

Chino Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2010

Calta what do you mean you weren't there for the OPA vote? I saw you sitting there. Just because you didn't vote doesn't mean you weren't present. El Rancho neighborhood residents don't want OPA kids at their school site period. Instead of putting CVUSD children through possible protests while entering the El Rancho site, let them go to school in a more welcoming neighborhood which would be the Los Serranos site. Looks to me as if the CVUSD board likes to lose money which is most likely what will happen when OPA executives end up in a private facility. Maybe I missed it but is the CVUSD in the position to turn away money...Hmmmmm I think not!
Mojado Doyar

Victorville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2010

Los Serranos were my ex-bit ch live. She wanna send my son to snob school like little gringo. She full of chit, I gonna beat her good after a cerveza or four. I thinkin about movin to this Los Serranos becuz they dont have many mexicans there and they need some hahaha.

Chino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2010

Average Jane wrote:
Calta what do you mean you weren't there for the OPA vote? I saw you sitting there. Just because you didn't vote doesn't mean you weren't present. El Rancho neighborhood residents don't want OPA kids at their school site period. Instead of putting CVUSD children through possible protests while entering the El Rancho site, let them go to school in a more welcoming neighborhood which would be the Los Serranos site. Looks to me as if the CVUSD board likes to lose money which is most likely what will happen when OPA executives end up in a private facility. Maybe I missed it but is the CVUSD in the position to turn away money...Hmmmmm I think not!
There was a special board meeting called in January where the board (4-0) with the Supt's support voted the offering of El Rancho, El Rancho/Magnolia facilities to OPA. Since it was a special board meeting I had previosuly scheduled and out-of-town trip. Here's the link to the minutes:http://chino.groupfusi on.net/modules/groups/homepage files/cms/24537/File/Board/Age nda/2010/SSBMA%2001-26-10.pdf? sessionid=2e89805195dc45d33389 54d5648340d2
Jane Q Public

Chino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2010

OPA submitted a Prop 39 petition http://www.cacharterschools.org/Resources/fac... facilities request for use of the former Los Serranos school site on October 30, 2009. At that time, there was NO proposed use on the books for that site.

Hundreds of Chino Valley parents are pulling out their property tax bills and taking note: they have paying Measure M bonds (and will continue to do so for some time), on top of property taxes and associated fees for the construction and use of of public facilities including the vacant Los Serranos school site. The former Los Serranos Elementary School was built to be an elementary school. It has brand new playground equipment, two playgrounds and will be the most appropriate site to accommodate a kindergarten through eighth grade population.

The CVUSD Board literally blocked the use of the Los Serranos campus minutes before approving the Oxford Preparatory Academy Charter School Petition on January 21, 2010 by voting to approve a virtual high school for use on the school site (literally one agenda item before the OPA vote).

Chino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2010

Jane Q Public wrote:
OPA submitted a Prop 39 petition http://www.cacharterschools.org/Resources/fac... facilities request for use of the former Los Serranos school site on October 30, 2009. At that time, there was NO proposed use on the books for that site.
Hundreds of Chino Valley parents are pulling out their property tax bills and taking note: they have paying Measure M bonds (and will continue to do so for some time), on top of property taxes and associated fees for the construction and use of of public facilities including the vacant Los Serranos school site. The former Los Serranos Elementary School was built to be an elementary school. It has brand new playground equipment, two playgrounds and will be the most appropriate site to accommodate a kindergarten through eighth grade population.
The CVUSD Board literally blocked the use of the Los Serranos campus minutes before approving the Oxford Preparatory Academy Charter School Petition on January 21, 2010 by voting to approve a virtual high school for use on the school site (literally one agenda item before the OPA vote).
Public discussions for proposed uses for Los Serranos first began in June 2009. Final proposals were presented to the public/board on Dec. 10, 2009 and then again for final deliberation/vote on January 21s, 2010. Concerning the final proposals - there was NO opposition voiced by anyone including OPA supporters. The final proposals gained unanimous support (5-0).
against snobs

Ontario, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2010

Calta wrote:
<quoted text>Public discussions for proposed uses for Los Serranos first began in June 2009. Final proposals were presented to the public/board on Dec. 10, 2009 and then again for final deliberation/vote on January 21s, 2010. Concerning the final proposals - there was NO opposition voiced by anyone including OPA supporters. The final proposals gained unanimous support (5-0).

It must feel like you are shouting into the wind. Oxford does not want to go anywhere in Chino--they only want Chino Hills. So they are now lying to make it seem like they are being victimized. If they are servicing all students in the district, it should not matter where they go, but obviously they have snobbish attitudes.
Citizen

Chino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2010

against snobs wrote:
<quoted text>
It must feel like you are shouting into the wind. Oxford does not want to go anywhere in Chino--they only want Chino Hills. So they are now lying to make it seem like they are being victimized. If they are servicing all students in the district, it should not matter where they go, but obviously they have snobbish attitudes.
Seems accurate to me. There has yet to be an effective argument against El rancho except they are scared of the people of the local community there. What a bunch of elitists!
OPA Rep

Chino Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2010

against snobs wrote:
I was considering OPA, but they seem to be too snobby. They are too good for the site offered because it is not the area they want. I wonder how the childen will be treated if they too are not from the desired area.
Perhaps you should attend a meeting, try to enroll your child, and find out first hand rather than use hearsay. There are many parents from the El Rancho community and Chino in general who have already enrolled their children. Unfortunately, Mr. Calta's public insistance of OPA using the El Rancho site is fueling the "snob" characterization while deflecting a few key issues:
1. The El Rancho community is entrenched in a civil rights lawsuit against CVUSD to regain their school. OPA does not want to be placed in the middle of that issue for obvious reasons.
2. The Los Serranos site is larger in square footage and acreage. For the purposes of expanding our enrollment (over 890 students have enrolled thus far), LS provides to most practical solution.
3. More students from Chino Hills have enrolled compared to Chino. Though at this time the difference is not expansive, it remains logical that we choose a site that accommodates the majority of enrollment for solvency issues.
4. The El Rancho community has been vocal, via newspaper reports, school board meetings, and personal contact with OPA, about their desire to regain their home school and their reluctance to support OPA's occupation of the site. We hope minds can be changed, and we welcome those interested to attend out next pre-enrollment meeting this Saturday, March 13, 9 a.m. at CrossPoint Church on Edison in Chino.
Anonymous

Chino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2010

To OPA Rep: As a matter of fact, all three schools, El Rancho, Gird and LOS SERRANOS are part of the OCR complaint. If you have any doubts about this I can provide the contact person's name at OCR that can verify that all three schools were named in the complaint against CVUSD. Just because the other communities are not as vocal does not mean that we welcome OPA.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Chino News Video

•••
•••

Chino Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Chino People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chino News, Events & Info