Chilton,Wi . in the yrs. 1961-62

Chilton,Wi . in the yrs. 1961-62

Posted in the Chilton Forum

TEXIAN

United States

#1 Aug 18, 2008
Just curious to know if anybody from this years are left in town . A bunch of us from Texas used to go work at the old Libby's Canning Co. on Main St. There was corn and peas canned there then and some of us lived there at the camp next to the cannery and other guys and I lived out in the country at another camp. the Shaefers used to run the outfit there . We used to frequent the bowling alley , and a bar that was called Toro's .
We had some really great times there ! I was 20 yrs. old then , I am 67 now And just thinking about those times. If anyone remembers about back then, type something on here . I will appreciate it!!
Ron

United States

#2 Sep 2, 2008
Yes, I remember all of the locations that you have written about during the early 60's I was too young to be in Toro's, but I do remember the place. All the buildings that were the "camps" are gone, including the camp east of Chilton. The Bowling Alley is still here and very active. The canning company buildings are still here, but used by a different company. If you remember next door, the Chilton Plating company, the buildings are still here, but it's now closed. I was only about 13 years old at that time, but used to chum with some of the workers at the canning company. Had a good time too! Those were the "good old days".
Ron

United States

#3 Sep 2, 2008
I don't know why this forum listed my location as Dekalb, IL, as I'm located in Chilton....???
Tony Elias

San Antonio, TX

#4 Sep 19, 2008
knew a lot of good people there in chilton. My dad was a crew leader there at the canning company. A lot of migrant workers spent many summers there. Recall my fondest childhood memories with many of the local kids..koehlers,shoes,shabachs, brantmeyers.
Steve

Barnesville, OH

#5 Sep 25, 2008
Tony Elias wrote:
knew a lot of good people there in chilton. My dad was a crew leader there at the canning company. A lot of migrant workers spent many summers there. Recall my fondest childhood memories with many of the local kids..koehlers,shoes,shabachs, brantmeyers.
Do you remember how many guys named "Bill" worked at that plant?
It was Scot Lad Co.
Texian

San Antonio, TX

#6 Dec 8, 2008
Tony Elias wrote:
I used to work with Cornelio Elias when he was the crew leader at the plant ! I remember that we used to frequent the cafe on the corner where an old lady that was called "Spike" worked , and there were pool tables there and Corny and I would challenge the guys that would go there to play pool. I wasn't very good at pool , but Corny was a pro with all those trophies that he had won playing in tournaments ! But , our opponents didn't know this ! So we would wipe tnem out! Lotsa fun!! I knew Corny's brothers , their names were; Pete, and Emilio . I also knew Pete's sons Henry and I can't think of the others name. The last time that i was there, after the season ended the company threw a party for all the employees with free food and drinks , but , the party was held at another town away from Chilton ! After having a good time and getting drunk ,driving back to Chilton I couldn't make the curve in front of the courthouse and I drove onto the lawn and knocked down a sign in front near the steps , but nobody saw us and we took off for camp and hopefully a goodnight rest since we had to leave for Texas the next day . In the morning , when I went to my car there was a cop with a hubcap in his hand and he asked me if I had lost a hubcap? I didn't know what he meant until he asked me to come to the other side of my car and then I found out that when I hit the curb in the c.h. I had damaged the front wheel and lost the hubcap!!!!!!! Before we left, Corny told me to forget the citation and he would take care of it!!!! I thanked him and I never went back to Chilton. Just fond memories that I have.........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chilton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Paperback version of novel by Doug Bornemann ju... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Marilyn 1
Debut novel by Stockbridge native Doug Bornemann (Jul '14) Jul '14 Marilyn 1
News Congressmen Ribble, Pocan team up in push for m... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Rodger Cone 1
News Night for Women event planned in Chilton Oct. 16 (Oct '07) Sep '13 Emanuel 3
News Paranormal activity investigated at Chilton's C... (Apr '10) Sep '13 Breanna 4
News James Pittmon of Appleton charged with sexual a... (Feb '11) Jan '13 yall wrong 12
News Former New Holstein school administrator Nelson... (Apr '12) Apr '12 Reezer81 1
More from around the web

Chilton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Chilton Mortgages