Chillicothe school board to vote on levy's ballot placement

There are 7 comments on the Jan 26, 2013, Chillicothe Gazette story titled Chillicothe school board to vote on levy's ballot placement. In it, Chillicothe Gazette reports that:

The Chillicothe City Schools Board of Education is expected to approve a resolution Monday that will officially place a long-discussed 6.9-mill property tax levy on the May 7 ballot.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chillicothe Gazette.

worried with reason

Lancaster, OH

#1 Jan 27, 2013
So glad that the
TAG program, all field trips for the elementary students, and afterschool tutoring were sacrificed so we can have orchestra. Over 30 students per classroom is evidently the "new normal". Good luck with the levy!
seriously?

Chillicothe, OH

#2 Jan 28, 2013
I always thought TAG was a joke. I'd rather my taxes be paying for orchestra personally.
worried with reason

Lancaster, OH

#3 Jan 28, 2013
Point taken. I would rather my taxes benefit a broader spectrum of students. Elementary kids really enjoyed field trips. With all the emphasis on the OAA, the afterschool tutorng is almost a necessity. Even if the levy passes, the services to the elementaries will still be cut. I say the cuts should be spread evenly throughout the entire system.
John Q Public

Jackson, OH

#5 Jan 28, 2013
The real enemy of education is the standardized testing racket and the MILLIONS made from it through the various testing companies and state education dept. workers involved.

Until parents start to come to terms with how the OAA in fact hurts education, nothing will change and more of the 'fun' will be replaced with more boring 'core' instruction.

Bye bye recress, bye bye field trips, PE, music, art, etc, and hello MATH and READING only.

Let's keep trying to keep up with China and Singapore when they siphon off all underachievers at a young age whereas we educate ALL students until 18.

A teacher can't build on a 'teachable' moment anymore because they have to constantly keep the foot on the gas to cover all the required indicators that are on the state test.
seriously?

Chillicothe, OH

#6 Jan 28, 2013
All good points by both. It's so aggravating because these things are so rooted in to everyone's mind as the normal that it makes them hard to change.
John Q Public

Jackson, OH

#7 Jan 28, 2013
there's actually teachers in Seattle refusing to give the test now.... its ridiculous, teachers' hands are tied. your kids will take a 'pre-test' at the beginning of the year to see how ready they are for the OAA, then many more 'short-cycle' tests to see throughout the school year how ready they are. think it's bad now? wait 2 years when the new 'conmon core' standards are implemented. hope your 4th grader plans on being a rocket scientist bc they will need to know crazy stuff to pass...
worried with reason

Lancaster, OH

#8 Jan 28, 2013
I agree that there is too much emphasis on the OAA. If the elementary students do not get the basics or the extra help needed, how can they be expected to succeed in high school? I think educational needs of the many should come before "fluff" for the few.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chillicothe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
mario crabtree 2 min need to know 1
m Dickey 6 min Deanna 5
j seymour 15 min Deanna 3
..Keep One~Drop One.. (Oct '13) 56 min Analog man 2,745
Ariane welch and Heath downs 1 hr Bww3 1
Southeastern School Board member Chad Mitten wr... 1 hr simon 16
Ryan butterbaugh 1 hr Ryan butterbaugh 7
More from around the web

Chillicothe People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE