Considering The Formation of a New Co...

Considering The Formation of a New Company

Posted in the Chillicothe Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Otter

Chillicothe, OH

#1 Dec 25, 2012
I am considering the formation of a new company based here in Ross County. As a nearly life long resident of the area I have seen that our community lacks quality entertainment. I want to gauge the interest of the community at large (that is where you the people of topix comes in).

I worked for a year in Athens county producing and promoting music and sporting events on small and large scale, now that I have returned to Ross County, I have realized yet again that our community lacks the efforts of a professional promotions company to work with established venues (& rent-able spaces) to promote and/or produce entertainment events.

I feel that the entertainment options in our area are lacking for every generation. Teenagers and young adults have lost the skate-a-way and have always been at a loss for music entertainment that is towards their more progressive tastes. The older generations are at a loss too, a night out for fun is more inclined to be found in Columbus, local establishments here currently bring in comedy, music, or theater (The Majestic) at irregular intervals. Even when entertainment is brought to town, the performance or event is promoted with minimal efforts hoping that just word of mouth and friends of friends will get the job done.

So long story short, I wish to form a promotions company, to raise funds to produce exciting entertainment events around our county and hopefully as it expands, events throughout the region.

What are your thoughts? What kind of music do you want to see? What would you be willing to pay to see a performance on a variety of scales?(national, regional, local) Do you own a business that would be interested in sponsoring future events?

An aggressive project like this would not only provide entertainment and enjoyment to our area but also bring more money into our area. Promotions require the hiring of staff for events, payment towards services like flyer printing, and other expenses that goes straight into our local economy.

Please help me form a discussion and gauge interest in an ambitious project such as this.

“Loving husband of Mrs cowface”

Since: Jan 12

Chillicothe OH

#2 Dec 25, 2012
Sounds great! It will be hard to please all, but we could really use a good sized dance floor with some great music and live bands. All the places around here don't offer enough dance floor space for only a couple people to fridgidly shuffle about. So give us a dance floor the size of a roller rink.... and then double it for all the non-dancers that just stand about enjoying the music to themselves. Then give us different venues of music different nights so all can participate. We like Classic Rock and others want todays' latest hits, or Country. Name the place "The Sugar Shack" like one we used to have way back when. Add a food court with different eateries like a mall. Don't charge admission and it will all pay for itself. I suggest aquireing the old vacant farm accross from Mynards/Kmart as the perfect hot spot and is also near the very location of the original sugar shack. There you have it... the perfect plan & one I've dreamed of myself for several years if I ever won the lottery. But since I never win I'd still like to see my dream for Chillicithe. If you like my idea you would be wise to bring me in on the ground floor and I will better ensure your success. As a second venture I would like to restore or recreate public access and entertainment to the old Aders Lake which was once a lively hit spot in days gone by. How many more ideas you want?
Party Animal

Chillicothe, OH

#3 Dec 25, 2012
Ross County definitely could support a major entertainment venue. I'm not sure it could operate seven days a week to start but weekends would definitely work. Maybe trying speciality nights such as comedy, country, classic rock and roll, blues, etc would help determine what the area really wants. This is the hub of a multi-county area. Just drive through the dining and retail parking lots on the weekends and look at the license plates. I have always hoped that the Fair Board would eventually build something the size of the Roberts Center on I71 at Wilmington.

Chillicothe OH

#4 Dec 25, 2012
So what do you do with this place during the day or Sundays? Simple.... you make it attractive & enjoyable enough that couples will want to hold weddings and receptions there as well. Be creatve and make the Ententertainment Center multi-themed with maybe a retro 50's addition, a 60-70's hippie rendition, and also a ultra modern theme to appeal to all genereations. If I had ever won the lottery I would have made this all available to any prospective newlywed absolutely FREE... and then just sit back and rake in the profits from every happily satisfied customer returning once again to relive their special day all over again every year for the next 50 years! There's more... shall I go on? I give you this much for free because I'd like to see it become a reality... the full vision I forsee will cost you.

Chillicothe OH

#5 Dec 25, 2012
Consider that at least half of those dating and out looking for a good time and also getting married or "remarried"... are our own Mom & Dad now divorced and recirculating. Think about it... night life is not just for the young.

Chillicothe OH

#6 Dec 25, 2012
On that same note... who's got the most bucks desperately willing to spend for a good time? Oh that would be me... three go-rounds here! Word to the wise investor.
Pogo

Chillicothe, OH

#7 Dec 26, 2012
Here is an honest opinion.
I goto shows in Columbus and Cincy and Cleveland a lot and I goto a lot of shows that have less than 10 people show up a whole lot and those are very big city's compared to chilli and the first capital music hall does bad bad here just saying don't cry when your idea flops on you just a bad market here for that really is guys
Der Fuehrer

Lancaster, OH

#8 Dec 26, 2012
Pogo wrote:
I goto shows in Columbus and Cincy and Cleveland a lot and I goto a lot of shows that have less than 10 people show up a whole lot and those are very big city's compared to chilli and the first capital music hall does bad bad here just saying don't cry when your idea flops on you just a bad market here for that really is guys
Or perhaps just poor promotion,:)
Otter

Chillicothe, OH

#9 Dec 26, 2012
Thank you all for your input thus far! Keep it coming. My initial aim with this promotions company is not to open a bar, a theater, or other building, but to make better use of existing buildings in our community by either renting them and hosting shows of our own or working with a venue to book an act in and co-produce/promote the show.

Places such as The First Capital Music Hall (aka The Bank aka The Vault aka Old Cardos), The Majestic Theater, Backstage, Shoemaker Center (OUC Gymnasium), Ross Co. Fairgrounds, and other places around our community have in the past hosted great acts and fun entertainment.(Mark Chesnut, Tone Loc, Taylor Swift, Commander Cody, Bonecrusher, John Berry, & others have all graced our local entertainment scene in the last couple of decades.)

Events around here either do very well or very poor for the most part from what I have seen, it is not just "poor promotion" as Der Fuehrer noted but that is indeed a big part of it. If no one knows about it, how is anyone going to want to go? But also it has a lot to do with the timing of the event, the production value, the type of music, and a whole slew of other variables that one runs onto when producing events. There are a lot of people who want to see more entertainment that gives them more fun that they would get by going to The Dock at Water on a Friday night only because "other people will be there", any bar can be considered in this scenario.

One of the more successful events I have seen produced here locally the last couple of years is The Night at the Sugar Shack at Shoemaker center, I attended this two years ago and was amazed at the turnout (I heard last year was amazing too). Why was this successful? Because of the efforts that was put into this event, tickets were sold, local companies were partnered with, ads were made, a great lineup was selected, amazing light and sound was used, photography was taken, drinks were sold, word of mouth was spread, everyone was talking about it, even those who were not at (or even born then) The original sugar shack as cowface mentioned. This example is not the only one, look at the Rock for Tots event that was recently held, I was there, the event was so successful that they really need a bigger venue then the Elks hall next year to fit everyone in.

I have produced rock, sports, edm (raves), indie, metal, and helped with a wide variety of events, concerts and fundraisers.. and would be open to producing anything and everything as long as it would make money and bring people entertainment.

All work and no play makes Chillicothe a dull place.

Chillicothe OH

#10 Dec 26, 2012
Yes, please continue this pursuit! I agree... I attended both years of "Night at the Sugar Shack" held at Shoemaker Center, and both were an overwhelming success packed to capacity. Each year sold out 1,600 tickets and many more were allowed in regardless. Yes, it was an older crowd as expected, but the place was filled wth music lovers of all ages groovin to the tunes. Unfortunately, even there sufficient dance floor space was not provided... a big mistake and dissapointment to me. Provide good dancing and you will achieve ultimate success. A good audiance could be had anytime if all generations are appealed to. It is possible.
East Ender

Chillicothe, OH

#11 Dec 26, 2012
Location, Location, Location. That is sometimes more important than what is being presented. You need inside space, traffic access to the venue and lots of parking. All things that are in short supply around Chillicothe. I've never enjoyed going to an event where any of those items are missing. I also hate it when events are over sold. Determine how many tickets will be sold, stay with that number and lock others out when the event sells out. You are just hurting your own reputation when you screw over those that bought their tickets in advance, came to ENJOY the event and were than packed in like sardines just so the promoter could make a few extra bucks. Why should people buy in advance if every event will be over sold?
East Ender

Chillicothe, OH

#12 Dec 26, 2012
Pogo wrote:
I go to shows in Columbus and Cincy and Cleveland a lot and I go to a lot of shows that have less than 10 people show up a whole lot and those are very big city's compared to chilli and the first capital music hall does bad bad here just saying don't cry when your idea flops on you just a bad market here for that really is guys
Part of the difference in crowds is that they have more to do in the big city. A well advertised major event in Ross County has little competition and is frequently packed or worse yet OVERBOOKED. FIRST CAPITAL MUSIC HALL? How do you find out what is happening there? I've NEVER seen an ad. Their marketing SUCKS.
East Ender

Chillicothe, OH

#13 Dec 26, 2012
Another consideration is promoting events in the name of a local organization. There was a promoter who did the Fraternal Order of Police Country Western Shows for several years. He pre-sold many of the tickets to companies and individuals so they could use them as gifts. Many times the shows were poorly attended but, with reserved seating, most shows were sold out. The only thing different I would do is only guarantee reserve seating until 10 minutes before the show. After an announcement, people should be able to change seats at will. This way, those that show up late will not disrupt the performance and those that arrived early enough to enjoy the entire show. I believe most performers would also appreciate having the audience closer to them at the beginning of their show.
Otter

Chillicothe, OH

#14 Dec 27, 2012
Yes as East Ender said, there is little competition to go against in terms of promotions companies (I can name just one off the top of my head that works here, YTE who run the Paper City Music Festival and do some work in Circlville too.)

Location is key, I've scoped out many venues in the Chillicothe downtown area and discussed the possibilities of hosting events at some of them with their respective owners or managers.

I will say though the First Capital Music Hall have greatly improved their marketing efforts over the last several months, but of course could do better. It does sadden me however to see them go empty without booked entertainment on a Friday or Saturday which happens to often, but the same can be said for The Majestic, Backstage, and other smaller bars/halls.

The main issue as I see it is most of the shows or events that do happen here weather it be on a regular basis or annually are being promoted by the venue owner or the person hosting it (who are often performing as well). When you have this go on, typically the venue owner/manager have bigger things to worry about (such as running the building on a regular basis) the same for the musician, they must practice, practice, practice, and typically have a full time job or several part time jobs that are unrelated to entertainment.

This is where I (& hopefully those I can bring along with me) step in, I am not a bartender, I cannot play an instrument (unless you count the recorder in elementary school). I am a promoter, public relations professional, marketing associate, public speaker, net-worker, social media poweruser, and most importantly practical and forward thinking. The type of skills needed for such a large task. Because I am not a musician I am not biased towards wanting to get my band or myself booked in every event possible and because I am not a bartender I am not limited to working with one establishment. Sure I have my biases towards what kind of music I like, but I know also that sometimes you have to produce what sells. Country, I can do it. 80s, I can do it. Metal, I can do it. Electronic, I can do it.

The biggest issue that I am facing at the moment is of course the most important... Financing. If you are renting a venue that is a couple of hundred (if you book an event at a bar, sometimes you dont need to rent), if you are paying to bring in light & sound that is again a couple of hundred, printed flyers/handouts again maybe $100 or less depending on the amount and size. Then there is the time consumed to pitch the story to media, sell the event personally via networking, street promoting, and then the biggest cost of all... the performers. Those costs have skyrocketed given the economy. Chillicothe of course is not going to get a super pop star but those gaining momentum in their career and riding out the end of their career are perfect for our town and affordable but even so the costs are big. To keep ticket costs low you have to get local sponsorships from places such as Kenworth, Adena, the Gazette, Budweiser, etc and hope ticket sales are great to make any sort of profit & produce more events.

Keep the discussion going!
Slapnutz

Chillicothe, OH

#15 Dec 27, 2012
Wasting your time in this shithole city/county, unless you would accept food stamps for admission.

Chillicothe OH

#16 Dec 27, 2012
Otter... have you considered bringing in "Tribute Bands"? I've enjoyed several of these while living in California. They were all worth the price of the ticket & always well received & attended. Just a thought....
Otter

Chillicothe, OH

#17 Dec 27, 2012
That could be an option to consider, but perhaps for smaller shows (if a bar had hired us to book their acts and wanted a themed event or something along those lines).

Ideally what we would like to do from the start is produce a couple of events a month/two months with bigger production value bringing in acts to the area and giving people good value for their dollar. Weather it be a high intensity electronic dance party for the 18-35 year olds, a country show that can be enjoyed by all ages, or a classic rock show that 35+ would enjoy. Using local bands for ground support and opening performances and having the highlight of the night be a up & coming name in any genre or an older name for years gone by. But again weather the shows be small or large, financing comes into play & with this economy making the pitch to let's say 106.5, the gazette, glatfelter, the music store, kenworth or whomever it still a hard sale.

Chillicothe OH

#18 Dec 27, 2012
Otter wrote:
That could be an option to consider, but perhaps for smaller shows (if a bar had hired us to book their acts and wanted a themed event or something along those lines).
Ideally what we would like to do from the start is produce a couple of events a month/two months with bigger production value bringing in acts to the area and giving people good value for their dollar. Weather it be a high intensity electronic dance party for the 18-35 year olds, a country show that can be enjoyed by all ages, or a classic rock show that 35+ would enjoy. Using local bands for ground support and opening performances and having the highlight of the night be a up & coming name in any genre or an older name for years gone by. But again weather the shows be small or large, financing comes into play & with this economy making the pitch to let's say 106.5, the gazette, glatfelter, the music store, kenworth or whomever it still a hard sale.
Otter, how you figure this? Smaller shows? You speak of using downtown little bars that can barely hold 100 people and no place to park. There will never be much if any potential there. Neither the Majestick or the Dock among the largest, can hold a crowd worthy of an act or a profit. We've got to think bigger.
Otter

Chillicothe, OH

#19 Dec 27, 2012
By this I meant that a "tribute band" is not at the top of our sheet for what we want to produce. Typically tribute bands like a Kiss Band for example often come off as gimmicky and turn people away. The Dock while large in capacity is not great for hosting entertainment where they are the main focus due to the way the building is arranged. A place like the majestic, backstage, first capital music hall are better situated for the larger shows we want to produce.

Chillicothe OH

#20 Dec 27, 2012
sorry friend, I'm just not seeing the capcity for handling a profitable crowd or parking anywhere down town. Your the pro do the math.(Meant in a friendly way) I'm with you... bring us some night life! Glad your trying.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chillicothe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Saddest Thing I've Ever Seen 18 min whiterose1488 3
Cody dewyer, who lnows him? 19 min curious 5
Clarissa Cottril 51 min telltheREALtruth 8
Anyone know Robert Crowe? Works @ McD (Jan '15) 58 min Mgrs 9
Tiffany Barnes (Jun '15) 1 hr Aintyomomma 50
Judgemental jerks on SOBB 2 hr Gabba Pentin 1
What's up with Sally Hedges. 2 hr Tellme 1

Chillicothe Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance