ORANGE Trash Bags !
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Sep 10

De Soto, KS

#1 Oct 14, 2010
Can someone refresh my memory. Didnt the Orange trash bag program start out as a trial thing? Did we vote to keep this thing going? I notice they just throw my recycled trash in with my other trash. Whats the point?$1.00 a bag is outrageous for a crappy bag that rips out half the time. So now I pay more for trash service than I did before this program started AND I have to pay around 4 or 5$ a week in Orange Trash Bags? Please someone tell me this is doing some good somewhere so I don't feel like Ive been ripped off.
Otto Frederick Rohwedder

Chillicothe, MO

#3 Oct 14, 2010
Yea. You pay for trash service...but you also have to pay for the bags! And watch it because even if you don't "use" the service..if they find out your living there you'll get a bill! Ahhh..the orange bags. This has been a debate for YEARS.

I'm surprised the grocery stores in town aren't fussing either. They have to pay for the case of bags, give up the shelf room, and get zero profit.

Since: Nov 09

Chillicothe, MO

#4 Oct 14, 2010
I agree that having to buy the orange trash bags is outragious, but do people really have a problem with them ripping? In all the years I've been buying them, I've NEVER had on rip on me. This includes the bigger and smaller ones. What are you guys putting in them to make them rip?
what the

Chillicothe, MO

#5 Oct 14, 2010
One of the most stolen items in stores and also never in stock.

I had to hit all three stores before finding any or anyone would get them for me.

CMU doesn't always stay open the hours they post on the doors so no good going there.
I just mail in their check. Too bad they don't just get out of the stone age and go to online bill payment.
Anonymous

Chillicothe, MO

#6 Oct 14, 2010
Well..since we're talking about CMU..could someone explain to ME what in the hell the "pilot fee" is...and why it can get as high as 25 bucks a month?? I've learned a trick to the trash bag thing..stuff as much trash as possible into a large black trash bag as possible (you know, the ones that every other city in America uses) and then tie a small orange bag to it! At least that cuts your trash bag expense in half if you use the large ones!

De Soto, KS

#7 Oct 14, 2010
I got a batch one time that the ends werent even sealed. That went on two times. They are junk compared to the good hefty kind i like to use. Ive had paper towel rolls pop through the sides. You name it.

The question still remains. How the heck are we still using these? How did it get decided that the Orange Trash Bag program would be used forever. I know alot of people that hate em. I just dont remember where we went from a trial basis to a permanent basis for these?
what the

Chillicothe, MO

#8 Oct 14, 2010
Best guess is call CMU and let us know what reply or reason you get. Good luck.
I Like Orange

Polo, MO

#9 Oct 14, 2010
This discussion has gone on for years and years. I remember one mayor.. might of been Foli?.. held a public meeting to discuss the issue.. almost no one showed up.

The pilot fee has also been discussed for years.

“Just Think of Duck Sauce ”

Since: Oct 09

Where the Green Grass Grows

#10 Oct 14, 2010
CHILLIBILL- I too had a roll of open ended bags. I ripped the whole side out of mine Tuesday when I tied it up to take out. Last week I took the bag out of the can and the whole bottom dropped out. I have to duct tape them LOL Now that we have to put glass products in them, makes for some interesting times. Dont break a glass or lightbulb, Your screwed!

I would much rather pay for a 75cent sticker and use whatever bag I wanted.

Another thing I use trash bags for other things in my house and on top of that I must buy the orange ones. Its stupid really, I cant use orange bags to bag up clothes to take to goodwill or any other use I might have for a NON orange bag. If we can buy stickers for yard waste and slap them on whatever bag you have. Then why not have a different color sticker and I can use a bag that doesnt drop my trash all over my fresh mopped floor!

John, I would say your not that trashy or have a weeks worth of diapers in them. If a dang trash bag cant hold it together long enough to carry some diapers to the curb. Good God whoever makes them has no biz making them! The cheapest bags at the store will hold up better than these dollar per bag bags.

Maybe we shouldn't stuff the whole weeks worth of trash into two bags around here and use more bags...that would be what they want us to do. I don't have the money to spend on that, just for my trash.

De Soto, KS

#11 Oct 14, 2010
OK then "I Like Orange". What came out of the discussion? Did they say how it went from a pilot program to a policy? Im wondering if we would just be sheep and accept whatever is handed to us.

Chillicothe, MO

#12 Oct 14, 2010
I don't remember this being a trial only, unless you consider forever to be trial.

The only thing I can tell you is, if you don't like it, move out of town. Thats is exactly what we are considering doing.

#13 Oct 14, 2010
the chronicles wrote:
Well..since we're talking about CMU..could someone explain to ME what in the hell the "pilot fee" is...and why it can get as high as 25 bucks a month?? I've learned a trick to the trash bag thing..stuff as much trash as possible into a large black trash bag as possible (you know, the ones that every other city in America uses) and then tie a small orange bag to it! At least that cuts your trash bag expense in half if you use the large ones!
I used to do that,sorta.Put my thrash in black bags in the tras can and tie one or two bags to the handle. they started leaving the trash, with note I must put the trash in the bag and they would come collect the next day...I left it like it was and the took it, but I now put my trash in the bags.Guess they thought I was ripping them off..more like they are ripping me off with bottemless trash bags,the reson I started just tieing them. It doesnt really cut your expense in half it doubles it buy using black bags and orange bags
One Answer

Kansas City, MO

#14 Oct 14, 2010
I will say it again. CMU has NOTHING to do with the Pilot fee, except collect it for the City of Chillicothe. Your council persons & Mayor are responsible for this Payment In Lieu of Taxes. The only thing I'm not sure of is who was actually behind this modernized taxation in the first place. CMU is mandated to charge this & they collect & send it to the City of Chillicothe.

#15 Oct 14, 2010
The pilot fee has went up. It is what? 10% or more of your bill?

If we all really don't like it we could just put our trash out without orange bags and leave it. we pay them to pick it up. It's part of your electric bill. we would all get notices saying its a Nuisance violation. But if everyone did it, who is it annoying? More like the damn orange trash bags are a nuisance to the community LOL It annoys me to have to look at the orange bags lol Its a PITA to have to buy them "special" for my nasty trash

-I do not like that CMU bag-

I do not like them, Rather have a tag
I do not like them, Want my own bag
I do not like them in my can
I do not like them near my van
I do not like them in my yard
I do not like them near or far.
Do you have a ten or maybe a five?
Just to get them, is not worth the drive
Not here nor there not anywhere
I do not like that CMU bag

LMAO
Fair charges for all

Hale, MO

#16 Oct 14, 2010
Buying orange bags is fairest method of disposing trash. The alternative would be to charge a higher flat rate and use whatever bag you want, but for me being a single person I should pay less then a family for the trash service, so the current system makes it fair for all.

#17 Oct 14, 2010
If anything if I had to pay plus pay more for my trash. I would prefer a sticker,atleast that way I can use a bag that holds up. The yard waste tags are lime green, and 75 cents a sticker I think. so give me a different color, charge me persheet, like stamps at the post office. Heck have the bags or the stickers.

Make us buy a large trash can from CMU,(make sure it has rollers for the elderly) and whatever doesnt fit in the can charge us a dollar a bag LOL

I think if I remember right they did it to encourage recycling.If they charge us for bags, then we will be more inclined to recycle those bulky items... Well If my trash man throws my recycling goods in with my orange bag and smashes it, then whats the frickin point? If I don't want to recycle..don't punish me.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#18 Oct 14, 2010
I must agree, I do not like the bags ether. But, on the plus side, I have a trash compactor. It cuts way down on the amount of Orange bags. With a family of 5, We can usually get almost a weeks worth of trash in a $1 bag.

VRA

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#19 Oct 14, 2010
Chelle Jenx wrote:
The pilot fee has went up. It is what? 10% or more of your bill?
If we all really don't like it we could just put our trash out without orange bags and leave it. we pay them to pick it up. It's part of your electric bill. we would all get notices saying its a Nuisance violation. But if everyone did it, who is it annoying? More like the damn orange trash bags are a nuisance to the community LOL It annoys me to have to look at the orange bags lol Its a PITA to have to buy them "special" for my nasty trash
-I do not like that CMU bag-
I do not like them, Rather have a tag
I do not like them, Want my own bag
I do not like them in my can
I do not like them near my van
I do not like them in my yard
I do not like them near or far.
Do you have a ten or maybe a five?
Just to get them, is not worth the drive
Not here nor there not anywhere
I do not like that CMU bag
LMAO
You are flipping hilarious!!! Love it! You know now I am going to beg you to write something about B & E Bob...lol!
HippyChick

United States

#20 Oct 14, 2010
ChilliBill wrote:
I got a batch one time that the ends werent even sealed.
Me too - got a batch not sealed. What a mess that was! I don't know about the smaller bags, but the 30 gallon bags are flimsy & rip about 95% of the time. Last week I duct taped a big rip in the bag because I didn't want to spend another dollar to double bag. I resent having to pay $10 for crappy bags. I wonder what the mark-up is? Well, that's my 2 cents. I don't like to be negative so I'll end with something positive... I'm thankful we have garbage collectors. And they show up rain, snow, sleet, or shine, 100+ degrees or -0 degrees, and at times on holidays. One time when the garbage truck was on my street my dog got out the front door to check out "the big noisy truck." I was right behind her shaking the dog biscuit box trying to get her to come back.(A box of dog biscuits isn't nearly as appealing as the trash truck!) One of the guys caught her and walked her back up to my house.:)

Chillicothe, MO

#21 Oct 15, 2010
HippyChick wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too - got a batch not sealed. What a mess that was! I don't know about the smaller bags, but the 30 gallon bags are flimsy & rip about 95% of the time. Last week I duct taped a big rip in the bag because I didn't want to spend another dollar to double bag. I resent having to pay $10 for crappy bags.:)
Again, I'll ask what you guys are putting in these bags to make them rip? How come none of you will answer? Makes be believe that this is BS because I've never had one rip in all the years that I've been using them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chillicothe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hayden or Dakota Provolt 6 hr Marie John 1
New Truck Stop in Chillicothe, MO? Nov., '17 Nov 18 AppyHorsey 4
How is everyone's spring going? (May '10) Nov 17 Johnn 6
Trap House#4 Nov 15 Chillicothelaughing 2
miss my family Nov 14 MrMT 1
Rooney Trucking, Polo, MO (Jan '11) Nov 13 Lgomez8 20
Who's got the green Nov 13 Uncle Pervy 3

Chillicothe Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance