First Prev
of 12
Next Last

VRA

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#1 Mar 1, 2011
This is to start a discussion on something that is popping up on other threads. There are some that think farmers are free loaders who only work a few weeks out of the year. This was a surprise to me considering most people I know like to EAT.

I really would challenge those thinking that way to do some research about truly what a farmer does, how they do it (including the costs involved) and why. Maybe others who understand it can interject some thought provoking statements that can lessen the gap between the agriculture community and those who don't have a clue about it.

Lets us our manners and have a civil discussion. WITHOUT NAMING NAMES OR CALLING NAMES. Please and thank you.

Justified

Chillicothe, MO

#2 Mar 1, 2011
Fk the farmers, I live in town biatch. And quit ordering us around you "silly mutt". Last time I checked, this is a public forum.
Idiot Alert

Oakland Gardens, NY

#3 Mar 1, 2011
VRA it doesnt do any good to try to have a decent discussion on this board anymore. Justified just proved your point. Sorry.
NewGuy

Polo, MO

#4 Mar 1, 2011
I agree with VRA, the name calling and such is getting really old. Please check your low I.Q.'s at the door.

VRA

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#5 Mar 1, 2011
Okay. Well this is the thread I started and I was mearly suggesting the way I would like to discuss this since it was my idea to start the thread and I am a little bit passionate about the topic.

As usual you will just have to ignore the stupid, Idiot Alert and NewGuy. Some people just can't help being annoying. Plus some people just don't really have anything intelligent to say so I guess is shows.
Justifed

Chillicothe, MO

#6 Mar 1, 2011
B and E Underground

Chillicothe, MO

#8 Mar 1, 2011
VRA wrote:
Okay. Well this is the thread I started and I was mearly suggesting the way I would like to discuss this since it was my idea to start the thread and I am a little bit passionate about the topic.
As usual you will just have to ignore the stupid, Idiot Alert and NewGuy. Some people just can't help being annoying. Plus some people just don't really have anything intelligent to say so I guess is shows.
&fe ature=more_related Put a sock in it "mutt"
Cathouse Critter

Overland Park, KS

#9 Mar 1, 2011
The people that complain about farmers or their programs aren't aware of what it takes to keep a farm operating. Not to mention the risks they take every year...rain,gas prices,grain prices, equipment repairs, bank notes, labor costs ect......

There are way to many to mention. Livestock farming is another issue that involves many risks.

Without the farmers commerce, places like Chillicothe wouldn't exist.

I moved this to the correct thread. Sorry

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#10 Mar 1, 2011
Cathouse Critter wrote:
The people that complain about farmers or their programs aren't aware of what it takes to keep a farm operating. Not to mention the risks they take every year...rain,gas prices,grain prices, equipment repairs, bank notes, labor costs ect......
There are way to many to mention. Livestock farming is another issue that involves many risks.
Without the farmers commerce, places like Chillicothe wouldn't exist.
I moved this to the correct thread. Sorry
http://avbarn.museum.state.il.us/viewclip/204

Farming is a gamble. He who gambles, is a gambler.
You were correct Cat, on the land 200 miles away.
shrimpeater

Tonganoxie, KS

#11 Mar 1, 2011
I stated this once on another topix, the farmers are playing by the government rules, if there is money to be handed out why not take it.
Someof the walfare people, dont need it, but they can get it, and the people that needs its cant get it.

VRA

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#12 Mar 1, 2011
There are a lot of jobs that are a gamble but not many of them does a whole country or half a world DEPEND ON. Pearl divers, Bounty hunters, Wall Street broker. These occupations don't have 100's of people each day depending on them.

Have you ever thought what might happen when/if all these small time farmers go out of business becuase the risk is too high and they lose it all because of the bad weather one year? What would happen to food prices when the bigger farms and corporate farms have a monopoly on the agriculture industry?

Did you also know that anymore, over 3/4 of farmers in this country also have employment elsewhere?

Did you know that most of these farmers who you speak of have operating loans in the six digit range (and some higher than that). Just operating expense, in order to plant and hope for a good growing season.

I could go on and on.
jcchill

Chillicothe, MO

#13 Mar 1, 2011
Very well stated VRA.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#14 Mar 1, 2011
VRA wrote:
There are a lot of jobs that are a gamble but not many of them does a whole country or half a world DEPEND ON. Pearl divers, Bounty hunters, Wall Street broker. These occupations don't have 100's of people each day depending on them.
Have you ever thought what might happen when/if all these small time farmers go out of business becuase the risk is too high and they lose it all because of the bad weather one year? What would happen to food prices when the bigger farms and corporate farms have a monopoly on the agriculture industry?
Did you also know that anymore, over 3/4 of farmers in this country also have employment elsewhere?
Did you know that most of these farmers who you speak of have operating loans in the six digit range (and some higher than that). Just operating expense, in order to plant and hope for a good growing season.
I could go on and on.
I am with the 3/4 you speak of VRA, Could you imagine the world without trees?

Why should I be required to enroll my ground in a stewardship program, or CRP to get a forester to high grade my trees, and give me good recommendations?

I am of the working class also, and pay my taxes to fund the Forestry Dept. Yet, I refuse to have the programs shoved down my throat, just so a logger won't skin me alive. Instead, I choose to pay my own way and hire a neutral party to grade the timber. Should I accept the program, so that I can receive good recommendations on which trees to harvest, and which to leave?,(I feel I have paid for this service already).

I think it is a sad day when people have to be PAID to protect their environment, and natural resources, when it is in their best interest. If I want to make it to work next week I would expect to put gas in my truck, out of my own pocket.

I feel it is a matter of greed more than anything, some farmers want to plant all of the ground, all of the time. So the gov. hands them money to stimulate crop rotation.(something they should be doing on their own), if they were living within their means.

So what you have here is the farmers holding a knife to their own throats, and the gov. paying them to not use it, at the expense of the american people.

agree

Chillicothe, MO

#15 Mar 1, 2011
VRA wrote:
There are a lot of jobs that are a gamble but not many of them does a whole country or half a world DEPEND ON. Pearl divers, Bounty hunters, Wall Street broker. These occupations don't have 100's of people each day depending on them.
Have you ever thought what might happen when/if all these small time farmers go out of business becuase the risk is too high and they lose it all because of the bad weather one year? What would happen to food prices when the bigger farms and corporate farms have a monopoly on the agriculture industry?
Did you also know that anymore, over 3/4 of farmers in this country also have employment elsewhere?
Did you know that most of these farmers who you speak of have operating loans in the six digit range (and some higher than that). Just operating expense, in order to plant and hope for a good growing season.
I could go on and on.
I do agree with you on this VRA, BUT (and I am not speaking about anyone specific)how much could the cost of food possibly be reduced IF the farmers who don't honestly NEED these payments would stop taking them? Just think about the money that the tax payers could be saved, both in the initial subsidy payment AND the cost of groceries at the store.
shrimpeater

Tonganoxie, KS

#16 Mar 1, 2011
VRA
stated operating expense in the six digit, some will run over million.
You stated 3/4 of farmers are employed eleswhere, do you think because of the health insurance?
You talk about corporate farms having control, look what happen to the chickens and the hog, you dont see farmers raising them anymore.

VRA

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#17 Mar 1, 2011
Like it or not, farmers own land to make money off of it and to help feed the world. That is not a crime. So if there is no incentive to NOT farm it, and they have operating expenses, land payments, equipment loans, and a family to feed, then they are going to farm it. If they didn't need it for money then they would sell it (or rent it) to someone who will farm it.

In a perfect world we wouldn't need to pay someone to be a good steward of the land. But it is so much more than about the land. CRP helps water quality and the quality of the wildlife.

You say that it is greed. Well I don't see it that way. Are you being greedy because you want the money to go to you?

VRA

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#18 Mar 1, 2011
agree wrote:
<quoted text>
I do agree with you on this VRA, BUT (and I am not speaking about anyone specific)how much could the cost of food possibly be reduced IF the farmers who don't honestly NEED these payments would stop taking them? Just think about the money that the tax payers could be saved, both in the initial subsidy payment AND the cost of groceries at the store.
I totally agree. Corporate farms and the like should not be given subsidies in most cases. However, where do you draw the line? Who decides when you earn too much in order to get help? That would definitely be something that is completely subjective.

VRA

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#19 Mar 1, 2011
shrimpeater wrote:
VRA
You talk about corporate farms having control, look what happen to the chickens and the hog, you dont see farmers raising them anymore.
Not very many! And I know several farmers who were run out of the hog business by corporate farms. It was very sad watching that happen to the best people.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#20 Mar 1, 2011
shrimpeater wrote:
I stated this once on another topix, the farmers are playing by the government rules, if there is money to be handed out why not take it.
Someof the walfare people, dont need it, but they can get it, and the people that needs its cant get it.
shrimpeater wrote:
I stated this once on another topix, the farmers are playing by the government rules, if there is money to be handed out why not take it.
This is a destructive path, the Gov. came up with these incentives to

A. Get the farmers vote. This is first and foremost!
After they get in, they can cut Unions and Social Security, don't forget the Republicans are for Big Business! They are just throwing the farmer a "Bone" to insure they have his vote next election.

B. Promote crop rotation,(to help preserve the land)
This should be done regardless, it is part of farming!
If you don't have enough sense to do this on your own, you are not smart, or responsible enough to be farming in the first place.

Shrimpeater, you are a Pawn in a Chess game, and the stakes are bigger than you could ever imagine.
shrimpeater

Tonganoxie, KS

#21 Mar 1, 2011
Im seeing alot of land going into the wet land project, what scares me what if we need that land some day for crops.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chillicothe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Enough is enough 8 hr IMO 5
Debate: Nuclear Power - Chillicothe, MO (Mar '11) 22 hr Johnn 22
KFC owners close store and file bankruptsy (Sep '08) Feb 3 Go_MU 44
New Goodys manager (Jun '15) Jan 31 Just say no 25
robbery dentist office (Jul '11) Jan 29 Johnn 4
The CT Jan 27 On The Booze 1
Breaking News. Dean Brokshire resigned tonight. (Apr '11) Jan 23 Johnn 116
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chillicothe Mortgages