Not worth it

I like it the way it is

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Someone You Dont Know

Liberty, MO

#1 Dec 7, 2011
well we all know this towns not getting bigger, if any, its getting smaller. if we want more people to move here then we have to build more houses, businesses,and prove that its a town worth living in.
Omg

Chillicothe, MO

#2 Dec 7, 2011
You could wave a magic wand?
don simkins

Dallas, TX

#3 Dec 7, 2011
Straight from the mouths of Rummery types, just re phrased from you build it, they will come.
Last I knew you had spec buildings without tenants.
And.now Gear is gone to add to.the inventory.of buildings.
You got two.kinds of buildings, old and newer: but lots of unused space. Thousands of unused square feet.

You do.not.need.buildings, you need investors in businesses for jobs.
about time

Chillicothe, MO

#4 Dec 7, 2011
Drive down any street in town. You will see more houses for sale per block than most towns. I do not believe we need to build more homes.
I do believe we need more jobs businesses that pay more than 7 an hour. As is not many can afford to rent or can't find a three bedroom worth a damn. Why is rent so high in this sh*t hole for a two bedroom?
fatman497000

Chillicothe, MO

#5 Dec 8, 2011
i believe we are in hard times.damn hard to invest during hard times.i really think our whole country is at risk.please,please every one vote!!if you know any one that is not registered to vote,then help them so they can vote.we the people have to vote.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#6 Dec 8, 2011
fatman497000 wrote:
i believe we are in hard times.damn hard to invest during hard times.i really think our whole country is at risk.please,please every one vote!!if you know any one that is not registered to vote,then help them so they can vote.we the people have to vote.
How does voting help? Does it really matter if we get crook A or crook B? Even w/ 100% voter turnout.

I call for a voting boycott.
I Say

Chillicothe, MO

#7 Dec 8, 2011
We are building a $38 million dollar hospital, a $2-$3 million dollar high school football stadium, committed $1 million to an investor to convert the old prison to apartments, given a valuable piece of real estate north of the old prison free to another developer for duplexes, have an underdeveloped TIF project south of town with millions of debt remaining to be paid, own a tax subsidized bowling alley, own a tax subsidized golf course, and purchased a large tract of ground a year ago which will require additional millions to convert to a new City Industrial park.

The amount of debt burden that currently exists, and the projects already in progress, are probably already too much for a town the size of Chillicothe. Add to the equation a need at the county level for school building repairs and improvements and the picture starts to get even grimer.

Instead of taking on more projects and more debt, finish what you already are committed to.

Just an opinion.
lobo

United States

#8 Dec 8, 2011
Who is this WE that is going to build all this stuff?

“Just Think of Duck Sauce ”

Since: Oct 09

Where the Green Grass Grows

#9 Dec 8, 2011
I agree,with Iw. I always have wondered what would happen if no one voted at all? Would anyone get the picture? The only ones voting would be those running.

If they want to play the game let them, the people should be sick of playing by now. What sort of a message would that send if no one voted? We could then, all say, I didn't vote for you. WE the people didn't want you, or any of you for that matter. It's pointless to vote anymore. Your voting on a multiple piles of horse crap. One eats organic oats, one doesn't and they both use air freshener.One uses an aerosol can and one doesn't, Still both piles of crap, and they want to feed it to you. We all run to eat it, by voting. I'd rather choose not to eat either pile, and everyone else should choose not to also.

Back to the topic at hand. If you build more houses, who is goin to live in them? Where are they goin to work to make their payment? There are plenty of homes for sale, that should be a sign we don't need more homes. Housing isn't an issue, unless like the prev poster mentioned, you are looking for a nice home to rent, for a reasonable price.Not over 500 dollars a month for a home that smells like dog pee and looks like a crack house. People can't afford to buy homes, have fun getting a loan too.

You have to have something in Chillicothe, to come here for, and make you want to buy a home and live here. Sorry but the Prison just isn't goin to do it anymore. Losing Gear isn't goin to do it. A new stadium isn't goin to do it. A new hospital isn't goin to do it. The dream Palace isn't goin to do it and building more homes sure as hell isn't goin to do it.

What kind of businesses do you think we would get? Certainly not good odds a decent paying factory job.If we are lucky maybe another big box store like Target. Maybe an Old navy, more retail. A couple more restaurants.... Hell add another gas station, Subway and why not another DG? Maybe we could get some sort of entertainment venue that the city can end up paying for. Of course if we do get anything, it will be tax free, so what would chillicothe gain? But I guess if it is retail we would get the tax from that when people buy, but where is the retail? Like said above, the lots south of town set empty. The Sale barn is up for sale and so is the Starlite along with the old walmart. Where are the buyers? Perfect place for a big box store and other retail stores. At least people would travel here and spend their money. As for living here, we will need more than a door greeters pay

“Just Think of Duck Sauce ”

Since: Oct 09

Where the Green Grass Grows

#10 Dec 8, 2011
The middle class is a dying class. The blue collar factory worker is suffocating. Too much longer, American built will be an oddity, only fit for slave labor in other countries.

To hear Republicans tell it, if we keep cutting taxes to the rich, We will make more jobs. How many years now have we had those tax cuts to the rich, and corp finding loop holes to not pay any? Now where are the jobs? If a huge corp can find a way to not pay any taxes, you would think they would be putting up factories all over the US. But they don't because they still have to pay us an honest wage, to live in a time where costs are high and going up. So cut the pay? But the prices of goods won't go down. Why? Because the rich still want to be richer. They still want to pay workers 33 cents an hour, and still charge 30 dollars for a T-shirt because it has that name brand logo on it. Tell us all they must ship jobs to other countries so we can afford to by it. When will we get to the point we can't afford to buy it, because we don't have a job?

The Gov is paying us to buy the goods by being on unemployment ect. But the local gov can't even afford to give state tax returns. The Fed Gov can't afford to loan anything to anyone, we are in debt up to our eye balls(passed that). Those that would have gotten a tax return, won't because they can't find work. So how is that going to help the economy?

That's not even half of it.

Goooood God, how do you fix something so messed up?
shrimpeater

United States

#11 Dec 8, 2011
How are we going to get a factor to Chiilicothe that employs 500 people?
We are 100 miles from the city, 40 miles from interstate.
What would it take?
Someone You Dont Know

Liberty, MO

#12 Dec 8, 2011
OK, so we know we have plenty of housing,not enough jobs, and we are starting to many projects and are going into debt. so if we wanted to expand then we should find ways to make new jobs and bring more business into town. any ideas?
Blue

Chillicothe, MO

#13 Dec 8, 2011
Finish the shopping center south of town. Unload the old Walmart building on someone who will build something and buy the Sale barn. Turn it into something that will employ people. Not just sit on it because it was donated and it just sits because we don't have any money to fix the POS. SELL IT. LOOK for people to buy those places, don't just throw up a sign and call it good. The city needs to help sell the Sale barn property and that ratty motel. DEVELOP IT BRING JOBS TO CHILLICOTHE.
Eeeeeeeey

Chillicothe, MO

#14 Dec 8, 2011
1. Shopping center south of town has stalled out from a lack of interest.

2. Old Walmart building was donated to a local foundation to generate a tax deduction. The City of Chillicothe doesn't own it. It's an albatross like so many old Walmart buildings all across the United States are.

3. The Sales barn has an asking price in excess of $2 million. Nobody is interested in buying it at that price. City doesn't need it, they just spent over a $1.25 million for land a year ago east of town on Highway 36 for a future industrial park. So far, that land remains completely undeveloped.

4. There already are properties developed and available for new businesses: a 50,000 square foot Spec building which has never been occupied in the present industrial park and soon there will be the Gear for Sports building.

Developing property doesn't automatically bring businesses into a town. There is HUGE competition in this country as communities scramble to attract an ever diminishing number of employers.

Find your prospect first, THEN put together a plan to entice them to locate here. And for God's sake, don't buy anymore property!
preacher man

Chillicothe, MO

#15 Dec 8, 2011
The reason housing is not affordable in this town is there are about 20 landlords that own nearly 50% of the houses in town. Familys can't pay $375.00 rent while making $9/hr.
WOW

Overland Park, KS

#16 Dec 16, 2011
FK NO THEY DONT NEED TO EXPAND CHILLICOTHE NEEDS B SHUT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!
lobo

United States

#17 Dec 16, 2011
$375 rent and $9 per hour equates to about 25% of income for housing. Sounds about normal to me. Also, what is wrong with working over 40 hours. Would bet most who have got ahead have worked way over 40 hours a week.
Chillicothe is a good sized town. Everything you NEED is here and you can drive from limit to limit in about 10 minutes. Some drugs, but basicly a low crime area. Been here 24 years and happy as a clam.
shrimpeater

United States

#18 Dec 16, 2011
preacher man wrote:
The reason housing is not affordable in this town is there are about 20 landlords that own nearly 50% of the houses in town. Familys can't pay $375.00 rent while making $9/hr.
Try to buy a house and rent it out for 375.00 you cant do it.
I have seen dumps are they getting 375.00 for them?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#19 Dec 17, 2011
375.00 for renting a house? That is CHEAP! Just be glad your not paying rent in a city with a population over 100,000! Just an old two story 3-bedroom house will run you around 800.00 to 900.00 per month for rent. And a newer ranch or split level foyer type rents in the range of 1000.00 to 1500.00 per month! Count your blessings.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#20 Dec 17, 2011
lobo wrote:
$375 rent and $9 per hour equates to about 25% of income for housing. Sounds about normal to me. Also, what is wrong with working over 40 hours. Would bet most who have got ahead have worked way over 40 hours a week.
Chillicothe is a good sized town. Everything you NEED is here and you can drive from limit to limit in about 10 minutes. Some drugs, but basicly a low crime area. Been here 24 years and happy as a clam.
Chillicothe is a good sized town. That's true, the average size city's population in America is around 10,000.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chillicothe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Goodwill (Dec '13) 1 hr Johnn 25
James Meek of Golden Corral Thu Iron worker 2
Good News/Bad News (Feb '15) Wed Kate 13
Brainwasher of Children Apr 24 Jody 3
Cowherd Renders Advice (Mar '10) Apr 21 Johnn 20
News Chillicothe man sues over wrongful conviction (Aug '14) Apr 21 Johnn 5
Chester Hatfield (Mar '09) Apr 19 Country Boy 5

Chillicothe Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance