First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Natalie

Germantown, IL

#1 Dec 8, 2010
Per KCHI News Page:

Brookshire Performance Review 12/8/2010 6:00am
Chillicothe City Administrator Dean Brookshier will begin his fourth year serving the residents of Chillicothe, following his annual performance review this week. The evaluation was conducted in executive session of the entire City Council, Mayor and City Attorney.
The report from the Mayor states the council discussed the performance of the City Administrator over the past year and discussed his strengths and areas of recommended improvement. No votes were taken in the closed meeting.--KCHI

As the City administrator is considered contract personnel, should his performance evaluation be restricted to Executive/closed session? Also, since this was conducted in closed session without a specific prior agenda description, the public wasn't aware that this evaluation was going to take place. Therefore, there really was no opportunity for the public to offer opinion/comments regarding his performance.

I would have been very interested in knowing how the various councilmen view his performance. It would probably influence how I vote next year. I think this discussion should have occurred in open session, as the Administrator operates as contract personnel.

Any thoughts or opinions?
Daniel Savage

Chillicothe, MO

#2 Dec 8, 2010
"Serving the Residents of Chillicothe".+ Performance Review in closed session = WE ARE GETTING SCREWED. AND TAKING IT!
Donald Simkins

Moberly, MO

#3 Dec 8, 2010
If they council and mayor want their seat assured, they need to terminate Brookshires contract. On the other hand, if the mayor is incapable of the duties of city administrator, get one who can. Paying twice for the same job and contracting out for a non performer is expensive to say the least.

If I were going to have a city administrator I'd save a bundle fast. Fire Brooksire and his $80 thousand plus expense and hire Gordon Smith for a paultry $40 thousand and get the same or better results. That's a quick way to $40,000 and still not do the work as the mayor should be mentally able to do. It is not rocket science. Gordon does have as Masters Degree in Business Administration from the University of Missouri compared to Brookshires Bachelor of Arts from Missouri Western.

There are other good choices out there for a city administrator if you continue to vote for a mayor who seems to either lack the mental capacity or the will to do the people work for the salary paid.
Which is it, you be the judge.
watching from sideline

Chillicothe, MO

#4 Dec 8, 2010
Not rocket science, but I find myself agreeing with you, Don. We seem to just stand back and let the same people keep running everything. Brookshire is harming our town, and the mayor is clueless. That I have heard from people who knew him in school even.
NO BS

Overland Park, KS

#5 Dec 8, 2010
ALL evaluations are private, however, I have a bad feeling the council wanted the subject of the executive session hid because they are setting up his severance package for after the election? Even the administrator himself must know where he will be IF certain people are elected. You all remember the former administrator and how he was paid for a year after he was terminated? You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.
Chilli info

United States

#6 Dec 9, 2010
He already has a severance package in place in his current contract of 3 months. They could be updating that, at his request, to an extended amount of time.
yes

United States

#7 Dec 10, 2010
get rid of him.. and gordon smith would be honest and not do wrong to the people and jeff foli as mayor with gordon as admin.. things would get done properly.. and get some off the current council people off there..
watching from sideline

Chillicothe, MO

#8 Dec 10, 2010
Yes,'Yes'!
Papa

Chillicothe, MO

#9 Dec 11, 2010
Chilli info wrote:
He already has a severance package in place in his current contract of 3 months. They could be updating that, at his request, to an extended amount of time.
I have heard that one City Council cannot obligate a future City Council. If the next election creates a new City Council, then any action on his contract by the current City Council would be voided. Does Brookshire's current contract expire with the end of the present City Council's term? Chillicothe, by law, cannot and does not have a City Manager form of government.

Nat or anyone else, any thoughts and knowledge about this?
NO BS

Overland Park, KS

#10 Dec 11, 2010
Papa
I think someone steered you wrong. Everything a current council does is obligating to the next council. No law or ordinance is void just because some or all of the council members get voted out. The new council would have to vote to overturn or change any previous law or ordinance. All previous contracts would have to be honored or legal action could, and would be taken.
Natalie

Germantown, IL

#11 Dec 11, 2010
Papa wrote:
<quoted text>
I have heard that one City Council cannot obligate a future City Council. If the next election creates a new City Council, then any action on his contract by the current City Council would be voided. Does Brookshire's current contract expire with the end of the present City Council's term? Chillicothe, by law, cannot and does not have a City Manager form of government.
Nat or anyone else, any thoughts and knowledge about this?
Brookshier's contract can be terminated at any time, he is entitled to 3 months severance compensation if he is terminated without cause. If he is terminated due to a contract violation, or cause, he is not entitled to severance pay.

Since no vote was taken in closed session, the reasonable assumption is that no changes were made to his current contract.

My understanding of the city charter is that it does require an annual balanced budget...but it certainly does not prohibit the City from issuing bonds, or assuming long-term debt.

As far as his annual review goes, certainly the public should have at a minimum been notified that this was going to be discussed in closed session. It would have given the public an opportunity to call or write council representatives in advance of the evaluation. The special council meeting agenda notice did not include any specific reason for calling the closed session meeting. In the past, it was the practice of the administrator to give some specific reason for calling a special meeting.
watching from sideline

Chillicothe, MO

#12 Dec 11, 2010
They did not want any of us to be able to contact council representatives in advance-our opinions do not matter! The review- given by the majority of the public who keep up on what is going on-would be negative. That is not what the current ones in charge want to hear.
Don Simkins

United States

#13 Dec 11, 2010
Think it over: you got the Council(such as it is), the Mayor (however you feel about his performance) and you have and attorney, Robert Cowherd all being paid to look after the best interest of Chillicothe: so why do you feel you need Dean Brookshire? Has anybody figured out his pay is nearly that of an attorney and he only has a bachelors of science degree with no relavent past work history for the position of city administrator?
If the above elected officials know what they ought to know to hold the position, why do they contract out their work to Dean Brookshire?

Try taking a job some where and then contract your labors out and just show up with you hired man to do the work.

Has anybody found the official city charter for Chillicothe with the State of Missouri? Is the position of city administrator provided for?
Bystander

Lenexa, KS

#14 Dec 12, 2010
Notice the way he managed to get rid of one of the elected positions, since he couldn't control who was in that job. Convinced the council to vote the pay for $1, so no one would run.
What do you think

Grain Valley, MO

#15 Dec 12, 2010
Everyone should be reviewed when they have some sort if power
watching from sideline

Chillicothe, MO

#16 Dec 12, 2010
I think that 'What do you think' is correct; that is what I think!
Concerned Citizen

De Soto, KS

#17 Dec 12, 2010
Bystander wrote:
Notice the way he managed to get rid of one of the elected positions, since he couldn't control who was in that job. Convinced the council to vote the pay for $1, so no one would run.
Bingo. The council has stated that this is a money saving decision. I believe it to be a power gaining decision. Talk about manipulation-that's Brookshier's expertize.
Natalie

Germantown, IL

#18 Dec 12, 2010
Bystander wrote:
Keith Patek filed for the Treasurer position, despite the dollar paycheck. Now Brookshier will have to scramble to eliminate all the job responsibilities before next April. Will be interesting watching him try to slide this one by the Public, with the help of the current council of course. They were not planning on anyone filing for the office. lol
Papa

Chillicothe, MO

#19 Dec 13, 2010
Natalie wrote:
<quoted text>
Now Brookshier will have to scramble to eliminate all the job responsibilities before next April. Will be interesting watching him try to slide this one by the Public, with the help of the current council of course. They were not planning on anyone filing for the office. lol
I don't think that the council or Brookshire can do away with the city treasurer or eliminate any of the job responsibilities. In fact, they may have to re-instate proper payment for the position.
The position of the city treasurer is defined and controlled by the city charter:

Chapter 81.070, RSMo. provides for election of a constable, an attorney, a treasurer who is also ex-officio collector, an auditor, and a clerk.

Section 3-15.1 Treasurer to be tax collector.
That hereafter the city treasurer shall, by virtue of his office,
be collector of the taxes and revenue within the city, shall have
and possess all the powers granted by this charter and
ordinances made in pursuance thereof, for the regulation and
control of the collector of the taxes and revenue, and shall be
liable to all the duties and obligations thereby imposed.

Section 3-15. General duties of treasurer.
Section 15. The city treasurer shall pay all warrants legally
drawn upon him by the city auditor; he shall keep all necessary
books and accounts, and shall have in charge monies, bonds,
notes, title deeds and certificates of stock in any corporation,
to the stock of which the city shall be a subscriber, and shall
faithfully discharge all other duties appertaining to his office
that may be developed upon him by the ordinances of said city
or the provisions of this act, and shall make all reports required of him in connection with the business of his office.

Section 5-10. General duties of treasurer.
Section 10. The city treasurer shall be the sole custodian of all
funds belonging to the City of Chillicothe from whatsoever source derived and shall disburse the same only upon the proper warrant of the city auditor....

If I recall correctly, the city charter can only be amended by an
act of the general assembly of the state of Missouri or by a
vote of the qualified electors of the city or town and a majority
of the qualified voters voting on the proposition vote in favor
of it. This is because Chillicothe is a special charter city.
jamal

Germantown, IL

#20 Dec 13, 2010
Papa wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think that the council or Brookshire can do away with the city treasurer or eliminate any of the job responsibilities. In fact, they may have to re-instate proper payment for the position.
The position of the city treasurer is defined and controlled by the city charter:
Chapter 81.070, RSMo. provides for election of a constable, an attorney, a treasurer who is also ex-officio collector, an auditor, and a clerk.
Section 3-15.1 Treasurer to be tax collector.
That hereafter the city treasurer shall, by virtue of his office,
be collector of the taxes and revenue within the city, shall have
and possess all the powers granted by this charter and
ordinances made in pursuance thereof, for the regulation and
control of the collector of the taxes and revenue, and shall be
liable to all the duties and obligations thereby imposed.
Section 3-15. General duties of treasurer.
Section 15. The city treasurer shall pay all warrants legally
drawn upon him by the city auditor; he shall keep all necessary
books and accounts, and shall have in charge monies, bonds,
notes, title deeds and certificates of stock in any corporation,
to the stock of which the city shall be a subscriber, and shall
faithfully discharge all other duties appertaining to his office
that may be developed upon him by the ordinances of said city
or the provisions of this act, and shall make all reports required of him in connection with the business of his office.
Section 5-10. General duties of treasurer.
Section 10. The city treasurer shall be the sole custodian of all
funds belonging to the City of Chillicothe from whatsoever source derived and shall disburse the same only upon the proper warrant of the city auditor....
If I recall correctly, the city charter can only be amended by an
act of the general assembly of the state of Missouri or by a
vote of the qualified electors of the city or town and a majority
of the qualified voters voting on the proposition vote in favor
of it. This is because Chillicothe is a special charter city.
Well Papa--they proceeded to vote on the contract with the county to collect taxes DESPITE the fact that someone had filed for the office prior to the 11/23 deadline. It would have been a very interesting turn of events had Mr. Patek come to the December council meeting and protested the ordinance that was under discussion.

Mr. Patek needs to REQUEST FROM BROOKSHIER some agenda time at the next council meeting to discuss the situation. It will be interesting to see IF BROOKSHIER WILL ALLOW HIM TO SPEAK.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chillicothe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
where o where (Feb '11) 7 hr Johnn 10
el nopal 22 hr hopefortrenton 4
chillicothe sonic (Sep '11) 22 hr hopefortrenton 13
News GRTS house sells for $240,000 (Jun '07) 22 hr hopefortrenton 4
News Lauhoffa s Jewelry At Trenton Closing 22 hr hopefortrenton 2
Esther Huston vs Good Time Charlie?? (Mar '11) Sat trump 18
Library Mural Fri quent 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chillicothe Mortgages