Will you vote yes or no to the new ho...

Will you vote yes or no to the new hospital?

Created by procrastinator on Oct 1, 2009

288 votes

Click on an option to vote

yes

no

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Moe

United States

#22 Nov 18, 2009
Why do we need to spend a gazillion dollars on a flippin band-aid station? It doesn't matter what it looks like... it's still a band-aid station no matter how you dress it up. Specialists still won't relocate here because they can make substantially more money in a city. I have heard tons and tons of Hedrick Medical Center horror stories, including my own bad experiences with it. So,no, I won't be voting for it. Take care of the building they have.
So What

Overland Park, KS

#23 Nov 18, 2009
Even if the hospital funding is voted by the down by the people, the groups that stand to make a profit will have the City Council vote to use a lease purchase that doesn't take a vote.
Jeff Foli

Auxvasse, MO

#24 Dec 1, 2009
The paper indicated the City-owned property at the southeast corner of 36 & 65 was the proposed site for a hospital to be voted on. I guess I missed the news where the land was already purchased.
bummed

United States

#25 Dec 1, 2009
Jeff, the city already owns that land,you know, where they spread the waste water!? That land is also in a flood plain. The city will spend too much money for a contracted architectural drawing, lawyer and surveyers on a project that might not get passed by the voters. Why not wait for the vote before spending all that money?

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#26 Dec 1, 2009
bummed wrote:
Jeff, the city already owns that land,you know, where they spread the waste water!? That land is also in a flood plain. The city will spend too much money for a contracted architectural drawing, lawyer and surveyers on a project that might not get passed by the voters. Why not wait for the vote before spending all that money?
Is that the same land they used to have the waste lime at that I'm thinking of?

Someone seriously with the right ties needs to organize the information to raise opposition to this. At least give the citizens of Chilli a group to add their voices to if they choose.

Anyone out there with that knows anything about organizing?

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#27 Dec 1, 2009
Jeff if I remember right, the city purchased the land when they built the wast water plant. I wonder how much it will cost to rase the land enough to keep it from flodding.
Jeff Foli

Auxvasse, MO

#28 Dec 1, 2009
Ah yes, I remember now. Thanks for the clarity. Do we own the entire piece?
Jester

Leavenworth, KS

#29 Dec 1, 2009
As I understand it, the ballot issue is whether to use capital gains tax to fund the hospital. If it fails, isn't it likely they will just use more bonds? In the end, the powers that be felt we needed a new hospital. Looks like the only decision left is which way to fund it.

Then again, I could be wrong. It's been known to happen before.. lol

“Just Think of Duck Sauce ”

Since: Oct 09

Where the Green Grass Grows

#30 Dec 1, 2009
r u talkin about where the dog pound used to be..they moved because it flooded every week?u would have to build a mote around it ..i though they wanted to build where the sale barn was..nice and dry and smells so fresh lol i dunno
Jack

Kansas City, MO

#31 Dec 2, 2009
If anyone thinks we are really going to have any say so in this you are kidding yourself.

Since: Sep 09

Chillicothe, Missouri

#32 Dec 2, 2009
I agree with all of you on this one. Yes, the vote is whether to use the tax money on the new hospital. Do you remember a few weeks back the city council had a special meeting on how to word the issue on the February ballot. Hey, why not "Do you want a new hospital in Chillicothe?" Yes/No. Was that too simple for these people? No, they worded it like that because it sounds like if we vote no, they won't use the tax money, but will get the money somewhere else. Done deal!

Was anyone else shocked about Beetsma's (the #2 site) asking price on 50 acres? 40,000 per acre for 50 acres is $2 million. Wow, must be gold in them thar hills! If we use Beetsma's land to get the fill to raise the city owned land, how much will he charge for that?

Yes, we definitely need to get some organization going for the "Just Say NO" group. I am not good at this, just look at my desk. Anyone,?????

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#33 Dec 2, 2009
procrastinator wrote:
I agree with all of you on this one. Yes, the vote is whether to use the tax money on the new hospital. Do you remember a few weeks back the city council had a special meeting on how to word the issue on the February ballot. Hey, why not "Do you want a new hospital in Chillicothe?" Yes/No. Was that too simple for these people? No, they worded it like that because it sounds like if we vote no, they won't use the tax money, but will get the money somewhere else. Done deal!
Was anyone else shocked about Beetsma's (the #2 site) asking price on 50 acres? 40,000 per acre for 50 acres is $2 million. Wow, must be gold in them thar hills! If we use Beetsma's land to get the fill to raise the city owned land, how much will he charge for that?
Yes, we definitely need to get some organization going for the "Just Say NO" group. I am not good at this, just look at my desk. Anyone,?????
What I am wondering is if they actually already have the funding in place for the hospital. Is this just a vote to allow them to use some of this tax to help fund the hospital as well.

If the majority of funding is already in place then they wouldn't care what the public thinks.

Cut and pasted from KCHI site-
http://www.kchi.com/news.htm
Hospital Would Be Located on City Property
Under the recommendations from the city's consultant for a new hospital, the new medical facility would be located on city owned property at the intersection of US 65 and US 36. The budget for the construction is $30 -$35 Million dollars that would come from lease payments form St. Luke's, City Hospital Funds, Existing Capital Improvement Sales Tax Funds and from a capital campaign for donations.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#34 Dec 2, 2009
Jeff I know the city land is from the old wast water plant to the north, to the river south. Ofcourse the hiway to the west but, i'm not sure how far east. Beetsma ownes the land next to it. All land is over priced right now. Farm land that isn't that great is selling for 2,000 an ac. With this land being hiway 36 frontage, 40,000 is probably not out of line. If I owned the land I would ask more than it is worth to see if I could get it. Beetsma is probably doing the same.
bummed

United States

#35 Dec 2, 2009
If St Lukes is going to pay lease on this, will they sign an agreement for 20 years, what happens when they pull out in 5-10 years? Is this another city owned golf course,hotel,bowling alley??
annonymouse

De Soto, KS

#36 Dec 2, 2009
You hit the nail on the head, we will be bailing the hospital out.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#37 Dec 2, 2009
You guys have figured it out.
putter

United States

#38 Dec 2, 2009
procrastinator wrote:
I agree with all of you on this one. Yes, the vote is whether to use the tax money on the new hospital. Do you remember a few weeks back the city council had a special meeting on how to word the issue on the February ballot. Hey, why not "Do you want a new hospital in Chillicothe?" Yes/No. Was that too simple for these people? No, they worded it like that because it sounds like if we vote no, they won't use the tax money, but will get the money somewhere else. Done deal!
Was anyone else shocked about Beetsma's (the #2 site) asking price on 50 acres? 40,000 per acre for 50 acres is $2 million. Wow, must be gold in them thar hills! If we use Beetsma's land to get the fill to raise the city owned land, how much will he charge for that?
Yes, we definitely need to get some organization going for the "Just Say NO" group. I am not good at this, just look at my desk. Anyone,?????
I about fell over when I read how much the city was proposing to pay Beetsma Farms "if selected." The rich get richer, while the poor get poorer. It hasn't even made it to the ballot box and "they" are already deciding where it will be built. Who is spearheading this idea for a new hospital, and why? I would put a "Vote NO" sign in my yard.
Mean Gene

Leavenworth, KS

#39 Dec 2, 2009
Jack wrote:
If anyone thinks we are really going to have any say so in this you are kidding yourself.
ding ding ding, we have a winner!

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#40 Dec 3, 2009
bummed wrote:
If St Lukes is going to pay lease on this, will they sign an agreement for 20 years, what happens when they pull out in 5-10 years? Is this another city owned golf course,hotel,bowling alley??
Good question. Who wants to put that to the City Council?
Mean Gene

Leavenworth, KS

#41 Dec 3, 2009
naw, much more fun to just talk about it on here. Then again, if we ask, they might answer and that will give us a whole new thing to talk about!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chillicothe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jennifer Ireland 14 hr Jim Davis 4
Poll Political giving and not making tarp payments (Feb '10) Dec 8 Johnn 7
If you don't play -- you won't play--says Ken L... (Feb '10) Dec 1 Johnn 19
Rodenberg Battling Cancer. (May '12) Nov 29 KTSNK 3
New Truck Stop in Chillicothe, MO? Nov., '17 Nov 29 KTSNK 5
Rooney Trucking, Polo, MO (Jan '11) Nov 29 KTSNK 22
Hayden or Dakota Provolt Nov 29 KTSNK 2

Chillicothe Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chillicothe Mortgages