Does anybody know how much board memb...

Does anybody know how much board members are paid?

Posted in the Chillicothe Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
don simkins

Shawnee, KS

#1 Apr 11, 2010
School board?

Council Member?

CMU?

What are the other sources of income for each person? What makes them qualified to hold the seat? Is it education, other work experience?(Dare I ask this one) Common sense?

Yea, they were elected, but why? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

The recession is very young, yet there has been no real industry come to Chillicothe for years and years. You pay for an economic developer and what did you get? I see stores come, open, and close.
I've heard you build it and they will come, WHO CAME? I've heard Chillicothe has got it, AND WHAT DO YOU HAVE THAT YOU DIDN'T ALREADY HAVE?

In reminiscing, I looked at all the stores that were in Chillicothe before an economic developer ever was brought onto the payroll and you could not have fit them and all their inventory into Wal Mart. I looked at factories no longer there, I looked back to the farm crisis of the 80s. It appears to me N W Missouri and Chillicothe have never recovered and are wilting away.

Some would point to Cameron's growth with 2 prisons. I say look at the SMSA of US Census. It is a bedroom community of the Metro.

So just what are these boards doing? Presiding over the demise of Chillicothe? The creation of the 'Cemetery with Lights?'
Tad

United States

#2 Apr 11, 2010
Don, please just concentrate on your big city dwellings.
Businesses in Chillicothe have closed, industries have closed. BUT, hey here's a surprise... Businesses have also OPENED! and industries have opened here!
Walk thru Wal-mart or Lowe's and see how many out of town people are now spending their money in this town. Have a seat in Applebee's and count the out of town people spending money here. Wait.. you can't, you dont live here anymore.

If you are truly concerned about Chillicothe, come back, live here, open a business here, run for elected office here. Otherwise, your posts are pretty much meaningless to me.

Since: Nov 09

Chillicothe, MO

#3 Apr 11, 2010
don simkins wrote:
Some would point to Cameron's growth with 2 prisons.
So you think two prisons proves that Cameron is growing? Lets see, one opened in the mid 1980s, the other opened in the mid 1990s. Sounds like Cameron hasn't grown much in over 15 years! LOL

On the other hand, Chillicothe opened a new prison just 16 months ago. So according to your standards of city growth, Chillicothe is growing faster than Cameron!

Maybe before you post next time, you should think before you post, that way you don't make yourself look like a stupid dumb ass!
don simkins

Shawnee, KS

#4 Apr 11, 2010
Tad wrote:
Don, please just concentrate on your big city dwellings.
Businesses in Chillicothe have closed, industries have closed. BUT, hey here's a surprise... Businesses have also OPENED! and industries have opened here!
Walk thru Wal-mart or Lowe's and see how many out of town people are now spending their money in this town. Have a seat in Applebee's and count the out of town people spending money here. Wait.. you can't, you dont live here anymore.
If you are truly concerned about Chillicothe, come back, live here, open a business here, run for elected office here. Otherwise, your posts are pretty much meaningless to me.
Hey Tad, looks like you are offended by the lack of progress. Sorry to offend you. You did raise a good point--all out of town people doing the spending!
don simkins

Shawnee, KS

#5 Apr 11, 2010
Johnn wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think two prisons proves that Cameron is growing? Lets see, one opened in the mid 1980s, the other opened in the mid 1990s. Sounds like Cameron hasn't grown much in over 15 years! LOL
On the other hand, Chillicothe opened a new prison just 16 months ago. So according to your standards of city growth, Chillicothe is growing faster than Cameron!
Maybe before you post next time, you should think before you post, that way you don't make yourself look like a stupid dumb ass!
Sorry you are offended John. But you are how many years late getting your prison and you tell me you are ahead. Ahead of what, Avalon.
Grandma of 9

Chillicothe, MO

#6 Apr 11, 2010
Don, don't know what school board members are making here but it is public record I think. I know our's were published with teacher salaries. When I was on the board we were paid by the meeting at a rate of $35.00 per meeting. Most school board members in small communities hold every day jobs just like anyone else. Possibly in large cities like KC this is their acutal job, I am not sure.

Chillicothe, MO

#7 Apr 11, 2010
don simkins wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry you are offended John. But you are how many years late getting your prison and you tell me you are ahead. Ahead of what, Avalon.
Ahead of Cameron from what you posted. They got their last one 15 years ago, we got out 16 years and 6 days ago.

How were we "late" getting it pray tell? It was never discussed until 2003 when they wanted to close the old one to save $$$. Its another case of you needing to get your facts straight before you post. Perhapes you and papa and R Brown can get together over coffee at Hy-Vee and talk. LOL
don simkins

Shawnee, KS

#8 Apr 11, 2010
Johnn wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahead of Cameron from what you posted. They got their last one 15 years ago, we got out 16 years and 6 days ago.
How were we "late" getting it pray tell? It was never discussed until 2003 when they wanted to close the old one to save $$$. Its another case of you needing to get your facts straight before you post. Perhapes you and papa and R Brown can get together over coffee at Hy-Vee and talk. LOL
How about their first one and look how many people got a job. Not to distract from chillis--glad they got it--they just got a long ways to go to get employment back to where it used to be.

John, you make a good spokesman for keeping the town small, wages low and no insurance. You need to push, push and tug at the folks that can make a change for the better.
don simkins

Shawnee, KS

#9 Apr 11, 2010
Grandma of 9 wrote:
Don, don't know what school board members are making here but it is public record I think. I know our's were published with teacher salaries. When I was on the board we were paid by the meeting at a rate of $35.00 per meeting. Most school board members in small communities hold every day jobs just like anyone else. Possibly in large cities like KC this is their acutal job, I am not sure.
No case can be made for overpaid. But Gee, can't they get the math scores, communication, and attendance in line with the rest of the state. It would be shame to end up like KCMO schools.

Chillicothe, MO

#10 Apr 11, 2010
don simkins wrote:
<quoted text>John, you make a good spokesman for keeping the town small, wages low and no insurance. You need to push, push and tug at the folks that can make a change for the better.
How do you figure? I was just answering your compirson that Cameron was ahead of Chillicothe because they have two prisons.

You are pretty good at trying to deflect the conversation to try to make yourself look smart, but not quite good enough.
Tad

United States

#11 Apr 11, 2010
don simkins wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Tad, looks like you are offended by the lack of progress. Sorry to offend you. You did raise a good point--all out of town people doing the spending!
WHAT lack of progress? I think the town is progressing nicely, and the new businesses are bring out of town people into this town to shop, along with the Chillicothe citizens.

It must be terrible to be you...constantly bitter, constantly angry, constantly tring to find bad things and bad people everywhere. You really need to try smiling and being positive once in a while.

Oh wait, you live in "the big city".. no wonder you're angry and depressed.

Next.
Vinny

United States

#12 Apr 11, 2010
Johnn wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you figure? I was just answering your compirson that Cameron was ahead of Chillicothe because they have two prisons.
You are pretty good at trying to deflect the conversation to try to make yourself look smart, but not quite good enough.
Don is good at only one thing: being an crotchity old fart that sits and wishs things could be like they were when he grew up in the 1950s.
Grandma of 9

Chillicothe, MO

#13 Apr 11, 2010
Don, it was very interesting to see the proceedings of the KCMO school system. I do hope that they are on the right track now but it was a terrible price to pay. I truly respect those that bit the bullet, and wish them all the very best. I know the fight is not over but I think the prize at the end will be worth it. I am sure there are many other school districts that are watching carefully.
papa

Norborne, MO

#14 Apr 12, 2010
BOARD MEMBER COMPENSATION AND EXPENSES
As provided in state statutes, compensation is not provided for members of the Board of Education. However, the Board recognizes the benefits derived by the school district through Board member attendance at regional, state and national conferences and conventions and similar efforts on behalf of the school district. As the school district as a whole is benefited, the Board will reimburse Board members for normal expenses for motel, food, registration, and transportation costs incurred while attending authorized conferences and meetings.

http://www.chillicotheschools.org/policies/po...
tried_true

De Soto, KS

#15 Apr 12, 2010
PAPA, School Board members serve FREE. City Council Members are paid per meeting & not sure if it's $60 or $90. CMU Board Members are paid $60 per meeting. These fees are City Council approved only. No one can change them except the Council.
Natalie

Independence, MO

#16 Apr 12, 2010
Of all the boards noted in the original post, School Board members get truly short changed. They have to "run" for the office, which means they can actually incur some campaign and filing costs. I would say that they truly are a group of individuals who volunteer time/resources and get little to nothing in return.

When I looked at the list of individuals that ran for open positions in the last election, I didn't detect anyone who had motive for personal gain.

The election is over, let's just all take a big breath and relax for a bit. Give the School Board some time to sort this gigantic mess out.
Don Simkins

Shawnee, KS

#17 Apr 12, 2010
Natalie wrote:
Of all the boards noted in the original post, School Board members get truly short changed. They have to "run" for the office, which means they can actually incur some campaign and filing costs. I would say that they truly are a group of individuals who volunteer time/resources and get little to nothing in return.
When I looked at the list of individuals that ran for open positions in the last election, I didn't detect anyone who had motive for personal gain.
The election is over, let's just all take a big breath and relax for a bit. Give the School Board some time to sort this gigantic mess out.
It appears nobody is taking advantage of anybody in respect to fees.

So all that is left is how to get in compliance with the State's report card for performance for the schools. The election will solve the citys and CMU's problems hopefully.

But when the kids will be denied college of choice because of math scores and then if the go to an "open door" college and have to pay by the credit hour to get the math that the middle school and high school should have provided and was paid for by the tax payers, that's gotta be a priority. And Chillicothe is not alone, that's why colleges have MAT 100 classes. But does Chillicothe wanna send the students our not prepared---it does make the kid like he or she ain't too bright, which might not be the case.
Chilli Chick

Polo, MO

#18 Apr 15, 2010
Whatever it is any of them are making, it isn't enough. Whatever you think of them or their policies or their decisions, these people take time away from their own busiensses and families to serve their community. They are trying to do what they think is best for the community. They are put in impossible positions caught between the rocks of budgeting and funding shortages and the hard places of public opinion. They put up with our complaining and questioning and they listen attentively whenever I have approached them or seen them be approached. And I for one appreciate them and the job they are trying to do.

Chillicothe, MO

#19 Apr 15, 2010
Chilli Chick wrote:
Whatever it is any of them are making, it isn't enough. Whatever you think of them or their policies or their decisions, these people take time away from their own busiensses and families to serve their community. They are trying to do what they think is best for the community. They are put in impossible positions caught between the rocks of budgeting and funding shortages and the hard places of public opinion. They put up with our complaining and questioning and they listen attentively whenever I have approached them or seen them be approached. And I for one appreciate them and the job they are trying to do.
Sounds like someone that works for the city and is patting herself on the back!
HAWK

Kansas City, MO

#20 Apr 15, 2010
They listen attentively,sure they do! Only thing they take away is city empolyees benefits and tax payers money.Only one on the straight and narrow thats Tom, the others such as yourself would screw a snake if someone would hold their head still,just opinions we all have them !!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chillicothe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kati Johnson 2 hr Amanda Lynn 2
Low Down 20 hr Crazy 3
Grand River Health Care (Jan '17) Sat Lisa Smith 5
BandE Bob & Johnnn Sat Juny 1
After 18 years, here is the Mormon update on Ch... Sat username 4
Captain Spam's Rules for Happy Reading (Sep '11) May 18 Johnn 69
Who is all the wh ores in town May 14 Who aint 6

Chillicothe Jobs

Personal Finance

Chillicothe Mortgages