Clean up Chilhowie
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Feb 11

Hermitage, TN

#1 Feb 26, 2011
In 2006 the Smyth County Messenger had an article saying that the scrap yard in Chilhowie was going to be moved to the Industrial Park on the west side of town by 2008. Well it's 2011 and those folks have not held to their word AND nobody is making them hold to their word. It is embarrassing to invite friends and family over and have them take Exit 35 and pass the "dump" just to get into town. Did you know that realtors in the area use Exit 32 to show houses/property just so that their customers don't have to experience the "dump". What kind of hold do these people have on Chilhowie that they can get away with the mess they have created right in town!
TiredInChilhowie

Hermitage, TN

#2 Feb 26, 2011
Maybe we need a new exit! How about one that brings you in between the Elementary school and the high school? I understand the need for buisiness and the greed that drives some folks, but you would think that there would be some thought for the overall community.
ChilhowieNative

Marion, VA

#3 Feb 27, 2011
Are you kidding me? The two commenters above must be relatively new to the town. How dare you speak negatively about one of Tom Bishop's very profitable businesses. Don't you know who he is? Show the man the respect that he so richly deserves. Look at the way he uses his vast fortune to benefit the town. Everyone should lay off the junk yard. Let Mr. Bishop make as much money as he possibly can. Most of it goes back into the community through his many charitable contributions. I guess the next thing you complainers will do is advocate for a rival building supply company to move into the area.
what

Nashville, TN

#4 Feb 27, 2011
who are you trying to kid??? i really hope you were being sarcastic,,, if not please tell us just one charitable contribution he has made,,, i have lived here over twenty years and have yet to see or even hear about him making a contribution to this town.
TiredInChilhowie

Hermitage, TN

#5 Feb 27, 2011
I guess if you think that allowing groups like the folks that are trying to clean up the park to purchase materials at cost to paint the shelters a charitable contribution.....

Since: Feb 11

Hermitage, TN

#6 Feb 27, 2011
ChilhowieNative wrote:
Are you kidding me? The two commenters above must be relatively new to the town. How dare you speak negatively about one of Tom Bishop's very profitable businesses. Don't you know who he is? Show the man the respect that he so richly deserves. Look at the way he uses his vast fortune to benefit the town. Everyone should lay off the junk yard. Let Mr. Bishop make as much money as he possibly can. Most of it goes back into the community through his many charitable contributions. I guess the next thing you complainers will do is advocate for a rival building supply company to move into the area.
Are you so stupid that you don't realize that the "vast fortune" that Bishop's have made is on the backs of the local Chilhowie citizen? What do you think your town taxes go for? Didn't you know that Berry's billed the town $60.00 per gallon for the paint that was used by the ordinary citizens of Chilhowie to repaint the park shelters? Did you know that the young man, Will Barker who so generously donated his time and effort to build and install the park benches, had to use lumber billed to the town by Berry's. Your tax dollars at work not Tom Bishop's GENEROUS HEART! I don't care how much money he makes as long as it isn't off our backs and where does commitment come in? He committed to moving that eyesore and he hasn't done it. All his money can't cover for the fact that he is NOT a man of his word.
ChilhowieNative

Marion, VA

#7 Feb 27, 2011
LoL...sorry to the last couple of commenters. I thought comments that outragious could not be taken seriously. Given the person that we are discussing, I didn't feel the need to officially state that I was being sarcastic. But let me be clear; my original comment was pure snark.
Local for Life

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Feb 28, 2011
I continue to be surprised that the EPA would allow scrap metal, especially vehicles with fuel and oil and whatever else, to be stockpiled so close to a major tributary for the watershed. I understand "grandfathering", but seriously, the junkyard is not only a major eyesore and hinderance to economic development, but a huge environmental disaster waiting to happen. What group of geniuses decided to put the "tourism center" for the county across from a freakin' junk yard? I guess he uses the piles of rusting metal and garbage as a landmark to the idiot "foodies" who travel to our "hidden backwoods hamlet" to "dine" at the Town House on porcupine buttholes sauteed in cod liver oil and toejam compote.
jealous

Bristol, VA

#9 Feb 28, 2011
maybe one day the red cross will open up a building supply store.

but as far as i am aware berry's is a business, not a charity.

Open your own business, then see how much you feel like giving away.
oh well

Nashville, TN

#10 Feb 28, 2011
i agree berrys is a business not a charity,,, but so is mcdonalds and look how much they give back to people.
ChilhowieNative

Marion, VA

#11 Mar 4, 2011
Just how does the Town House Grill manage to stay in business? There is no way that business could turn a profit with the "5 star" staff they have. Bishop has to be paying them a small fortune. You hardly ever see more than a few cars in the parking lot. I just don't see how this business could possibly be legit.
chilhowie local

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Mar 10, 2011
myself i dont see anything wrong with berry's and for the tourism center being across from it i have seen worse
none

United States

#13 Mar 12, 2011
instead of wasting money on paint, benches and those stupid paths, why not improve something usefull. the playground is horrible. instead of driving 5 min to town for my kids to play at the park, we have to go all the way to abingdon for them to have a decent, clean, fun place to play.
just here

Nashville, TN

#14 Mar 13, 2011
i have to go with yo on this one there is not a good playground in this town for our kids to play on and at least berry has people on there pay role they are other places around here that are just wasting down and has no one in them just empty bulding were thing was this town is going under and all you want to do is pick in a places that at least has people working if we dont get more job in here that will not be a town to worry about the how thing look
mrsT

United States

#15 Mar 13, 2011
I couldn't agree more! FIX UP THE PLAYGROUND PLEASE!
harley t ford

Nashville, TN

#16 Mar 29, 2011
ChilhowieNative wrote:
Just how does the Town House Grill manage to stay in business? There is no way that business could turn a profit with the "5 star" staff they have. Bishop has to be paying them a small fortune. You hardly ever see more than a few cars in the parking lot. I just don't see how this business could possibly be legit.
why do you think they call this place tommy town?
heckyeah

Marion, VA

#17 Mar 29, 2011
Tommy town is good for me. I love it and thank God that Mr. Tommy bought scrape metal from me when my back was against the wall and I had 2 little babies to support on my own while dad went out of town for work. Thank you Town Tommy!
unoh

Murfreesboro, TN

#18 Mar 30, 2011
At least the Little League and SOME of the town is trying to fix the ball feild at the park. It is a beautiful ball feild, and has alot of potential. But it has an ugly junk yard next door, which anyone can access, through the back door. NICE AND SAFE FOR THOSE KIDS. Hope nothing explodes again.
yeah

Springfield, TN

#19 Mar 31, 2011
yeah thats a beautiful sight to see,,, a junkyard welcoming people in to the town
Sharon

United States

#20 Apr 2, 2011
I don't begrudge anyone making money but that junk yard is a sore sight to see from interstate and worse still as first welcoming sight upon entry into Chilhowie. Let's get it moved Mr. Bishop.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chilhowie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rooster? 2 hr Eternal truth 83
What ever happened to Caleb Dean & Anya??? 5 hr YouKnowNothing 5
Welfare 5 hr B mitch 19
meth-heads you may know? 16 hr joclo knows 22
Samantha Stillwell (Jun '15) Wed Samantha 3
Skateboarders in Damascus? Wed TonyHawk 2
The biggest hypocrites in town Wed To all you hypocr... 1

Chilhowie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance