Since: Oct 10

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

Virginia Property Tax Exemption for Veterans will appear on the November 2, 2010 statewide ballot as an legislatively-referred constitutional amendment. The amendment will ask voters if they will approve or reject a property tax exemption for residents 65 or older or with disabilities that are permanent. It also mandates that homeowners show that they have a tax burden on their property in relation to their income in order to receive such exemptions.

The ballot question reads:
Shall Section 6 of Article X of the Constitution of Virginia be amended to authorize legislation that will permit localities to establish their own income or financial worth limitations for purposes of granting property tax relief for homeowners not less than 65 years of age or permanently and totally disabled?

How will you vote on November 2nd?

“I Believe In Conservatives!”

Since: Oct 10

God Bless America!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

Taxes need to down!
Thinker

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

Yes, but with limitations.
Nobody is my name

Bristol, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

Thank you so much for posting this information. I will vote "YES"
Other

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

I picked other...I see plenty of people on disability driving nice I mean nice vehicles and all...and they could be working instead of driving around going to mcd's and walmart all day long everyday...

The elderly should be exempt. The disable should be with in limits
Thinker

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

Go Red 2012 wrote:
Taxes need to down!
Taxes are a necessary evil.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

Lower taxes, not elimination.
somebody

Jonesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

Wouldn't this make property taxes go up for everyone else? There shouldn't be a property tax period. State, Federal, and sales tax should be enough.
justified

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

No. Their annuity companies and their investments are the reason we are in this financial mess. Wall street basically over levied their properties so those retirement funds that they had yet to receive could be recovered on the back end. Wall street bet on their previous trend of them paying their debts and got tricked. As another posted stated, "their excessive spending habits". Maybe the government is seeing this spending as a stimulation for the younger generation to earn an income that will support social security for the elderly and disabled. If their children don't want them to starve, let them take care of them. Tax exemption sounds like an future reason to cut more jobs. If cutting jobs is conservatism, America needs to start looking for an alternative to the system not just two outdatetd political stances.
Just My Opinion

Christiansburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

Other wrote:
I picked other...I see plenty of people on disability driving nice I mean nice vehicles and all...and they could be working instead of driving around going to mcd's and walmart all day long everyday...
The elderly should be exempt. The disable should be with in limits
I agree.
beckgetsit

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

Lowering or exempting taxes on disabled or ederally should come with strict guidelines...MEANING proving your hardship..its only fair.
Amanda Collins

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

I think like someone else said with limitations just because some citizens are over 65 doesn't mean anything if they have problems like cataracs or something then u should not make them pay but if they are perfectly healthy driving cadillac escalades then hell no they need taxed!!
beckgetsit

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

another thought...
taxes on your car when you purchase it, pay the dmv tag fees every year, pay for a state inspection each year, pay the county a registration fee or decal fee, pay the county personal property fees every year....really? Think about it folks, you are being Taxed way to much! This I know. Our tax dollars are being used to support NEEDLESS local, state a federal jobs.... get involved! Govern yourself, SMALLER GOVERNMENT!
justified

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

Petsound wrote:
Lower taxes and bring it back in another arena and call it what? A state toll? A city usage fee on your utility bill? The magician doesn't have to make it disappear, he only has to conceal it. tricky little guys aren't they? Lower or elimination the costs are going anywhere. But understand that their is going to be a another handling charge added for fooling you.
justified

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

somebody wrote:
Wouldn't this make property taxes go up for everyone else? There shouldn't be a property tax period. State, Federal, and sales tax should be enough.
They won't raise it directly as in a greater percentage, they'll increase your property value. make you smile a little more, while they're bending you over. Look at Henrico or Hanover.
Thinker

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

Petsound wrote:
I think they should leave taxes as they are and cut spending for now. Once the budget is under control, then cut taxes.
justified

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

beckgetsit wrote:
Lowering or exempting taxes on disabled or ederally should come with strict guidelines...MEANING proving your hardship..its only fair.
Sounds like an increase to pay for the committee to oversee a lot of paperwork. Must be a conservative.
Thinker

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

justified wrote:
<quoted text> Sounds like an increase to pay for the committee to oversee a lot of paperwork. Must be a conservative.
The entities that oversee these things already exist. Might as well use them.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

justified wrote:
<quoted text> Lower taxes and bring it back in another arena and call it what? A state toll? A city usage fee on your utility bill? The magician doesn't have to make it disappear, he only has to conceal it. tricky little guys aren't they? Lower or elimination the costs are going anywhere. But understand that their is going to be a another handling charge added for fooling you.
No, in a depression, there should be lower taxes, unless there is an inflation problem. I don't support the government lowering one tax and raising another. That's not what the debate is about.
Thinker

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

Petsound wrote:
<quoted text>
No, in a depression, there should be lower taxes, unless there is an inflation problem. I don't support the government lowering one tax and raising another. That's not what the debate is about.
We're not in a depression.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of1,356
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

14 Users are viewing the Chilhowie Forum right now

Search the Chilhowie Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
SW Va. girl, 3, eats meth, mother charged 1 hr HEREUGO 31
Mayor of Damascus 2 hr zeustoots 75
Police Chef Nunley (Jan '14) 4 hr HAHA 67
chilhowie sports 5 hr citizen 2
Back at CHS 10 hr League itch 2
Jacob Barker Mon A_true_friend 2
Try Marion Sun Sharon 2
•••
•••