Wolves likely to blame for Alaska teacher's fatal mauling

Full story: TwinCities.com

Wolves likely killed a teacher jogging alone along a rural Alaska village road, public safety officials said Thursday.
Comments
61 - 80 of 80 Comments Last updated May 31, 2010
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
bjreed -

Arlington, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2010

Judged:

How in the world did this conversation end up in this endless circle of bravado hunting/masculinity stories when it all started about a small, petite teacher mauled by wolves? Does nobody remember the poor woman?

Since: Jan 09

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2010

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
First I'll call you a liar for saying you have hunted. You may have a gun and you may shoot it but your not a hunter. See, if you were a hunter, you would know that some of the best hunting on one's own property is in the evening or on a full moon night. But you didn't know that.
Now my initial advice, was the same other hunters and farmers and ranchers give to each other when a problem species has arrived and is abounding. You may not like it but solutions are sought when the law states it is more important that live stock should be killed off then a pack of wolves should be shot. Because your unaware of that, you further prove you know nothing of hunting and the parameters it reaches into when a solution is needed the law forbids.
Also, you show your ignorance in thinking most people hunt and fish for sport. Most people hunt and fish for food. Get informed.
Next, I would wager I know more of hunting and fishing sport and non-sport wise then you could write about.
We have more subsistence hunters and fishers up here in Alaska per capitol then in any other state going.
"Meat killer?" lolol. That was sweet. I'll take it as a compliment:) By the way, your still uninformed. It doesn't have to be that way :)
I'll reply to you one last time, if you hunt at night, you are breaking the law. I don't do that. If you kill any animal for the sake of killing it, you are an idiot. You need to get out more, most hunters hunt for the sport, not just to kill something. You are the type that feels you can do anything you want on your own land. Maybe you can, but it doesn't make it right. You are very uninformed, but I won't bother with you anymore.

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2010

Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>A person who puts a potato on a gun barrel for the purpose of ATTEMPTING to muffle it's reprort is stupid on two accounts.
1) The potato won't do much but explode, if you're going to make an illegally possessed silencer, just duct tape a milk jug over your barrel. At least when you're going to prison for that illegal silencer, your cell mates would at least say that makes more sense than a potato.
2) Attempting to muffle a firearm's report is the same as illegally making a "silencer". The law doesn't specify that a person has to be successful at making a gun silent, merely that a person manufactured a silencer with an intent.
3) Silencer possession and use is legal in the US, so long as the National Firearms Act of 1934 is complied with as well as state laws.
4) The funny thing about silencers and hunting, is that in Wisconsin it is legal to do so, so why would you use a potato?
I didn't say it, the fool from Alaska did.
Flo Baker

Williamstown, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2010

The United States Leads the World in Firearm Violence

» Help Save Lives: Click here

•In 2005, 30,694 people in the United States died from firearm-related deaths – 12,352 were murdered; 17,002 killed themselves; 789 were accidents; 330 died by police intervention, and in 221, the intent was unknown. 6 In comparison, 33,651 Americans were killed in the Korean War and 58,193 Americans were killed in the Vietnam War.7

•An additional 71,417 people were shot and survived their injuries -- 52,748 people injured in an attack; 3,190 people injured in a suicide attempt; 14,678 people shot accidentally, and 801 people shot in a police intervention.8

•In 2004, firearms were used to murder 56 people in Australia, 184 people in Canada, 73 people in England and Wales, 5 people in New Zealand, and 37 people in Sweden.9 In comparison, firearms were used to murder 11,344 in the United States.10

•In 2006, there were only 154 justifiable homicides by private citizens using handguns in the United States.11

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/gvst...

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2010

Judged:

Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>A person who puts a potato on a gun barrel for the purpose of ATTEMPTING to muffle it's reprort is stupid on two accounts.
1) The potato won't do much but explode, if you're going to make an illegally possessed silencer, just duct tape a milk jug over your barrel. At least when you're going to prison for that illegal silencer, your cell mates would at least say that makes more sense than a potato.
2) Attempting to muffle a firearm's report is the same as illegally making a "silencer". The law doesn't specify that a person has to be successful at making a gun silent, merely that a person manufactured a silencer with an intent.
3) Silencer possession and use is legal in the US, so long as the National Firearms Act of 1934 is complied with as well as state laws.
4) The funny thing about silencers and hunting, is that in Wisconsin it is legal to do so, so why would you use a potato?
The golf guy was replying to something I wrote. Regardless if you use a potatoe or anything else, the purpose of a silencer is to silence the report of a gun shot :)

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2010

Judged:

The Golf Guy wrote:
<quoted text> I'll reply to you one last time, if you hunt at night, you are breaking the law. I don't do that. If you kill any animal for the sake of killing it, you are an idiot. You need to get out more, most hunters hunt for the sport, not just to kill something. You are the type that feels you can do anything you want on your own land. Maybe you can, but it doesn't make it right. You are very uninformed, but I won't bother with you anymore.
If you hunt at night your breaking the law? Revealing more of your lack of knowledge of hunting I see. Second, killing an animal for sport is doing exactly what you described, being an idiot. Most sport hunters could care less about the meat. They are out for that trophy rack and nothing else. They may donate the meat or sell it to the guide to ease their conscious for being a trophy hunter...like you. Your a sport hunter I am assuming so you have well classified yourself :) Third, in most states, it is a right to hunt what is on your land 12 months a year unless laws specify other wise. That is the right of owning land that your ignorant about again.
Your to brainwashed by something green shoes. Life isn't about a fairway and nine holes for most. And with the way the economy is, more and more in rural areas are turning to subsistence fishing and hunting game to put food in the freezer to put on their table in the lean months.
City life has left you with a real deep false sense of reality concerning fishing and hunting and why it's done.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2010

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
The golf guy was replying to something I wrote. Regardless if you use a potatoe or anything else, the purpose of a silencer is to silence the report of a gun shot :)
I legally own three silencers, one for 5.56MM, one for .22LR, one for 9MM submachine guns.

What I clearly said, is that if person puts a potato on the end of a firearm barrel BELIEVING it will quiet a firearm, that person is in illegal possession of a silencer whether it do reduce the sound of the firearm or it don't.
BradyBunchCrap

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

Flo Baker wrote:
The United States Leads the World in Firearm Violence
» Help Save Lives: Click here
•In 2005, 30,694 people in the United States died from firearm-related deaths – 12,352 were murdered; 17,002 killed themselves; 789 were accidents; 330 died by police intervention, and in 221, the intent was unknown. 6 In comparison, 33,651 Americans were killed in the Korean War and 58,193 Americans were killed in the Vietnam War.7
•An additional 71,417 people were shot and survived their injuries -- 52,748 people injured in an attack; 3,190 people injured in a suicide attempt; 14,678 people shot accidentally, and 801 people shot in a police intervention.8
•In 2004, firearms were used to murder 56 people in Australia, 184 people in Canada, 73 people in England and Wales, 5 people in New Zealand, and 37 people in Sweden.9 In comparison, firearms were used to murder 11,344 in the United States.10
•In 2006, there were only 154 justifiable homicides by private citizens using handguns in the United States.11
http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/gvst...
Go away. Your B.S. is Brady bunch fear, fueled by anti-gun nuts. Which of course you are one of.

Look up Knives. It`s one of the most common tools criminals use to do their dirty deeds, and you need nothing special to buy them, in even sets if you want. No restrictions, background checks, or age limit. No restriction to blade length, where or how they are kept in your home, or how many you have in your posession. Your so full of bull you forget about baseball bats. Baseball bats have been used in St.Paul in many attacks this past couple years, and you people take little kids out at a VERY young age, and teach them how to properly hit a target with one! And you can buy them anywhere!

Wake up. Knives have killed [Knives don`t kill, people do] more people than guns outside of 19th-21st century wars.

Your as clueless as evey anti-gun nut out there, and have the same stupid ring in your nose. Get your head out of your butt.
YourPutterShrunk

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
If you hunt at night your breaking the law? Revealing more of your lack of knowledge of hunting I see. Second, killing an animal for sport is doing exactly what you described, being an idiot. Most sport hunters could care less about the meat. They are out for that trophy rack and nothing else. They may donate the meat or sell it to the guide to ease their conscious for being a trophy hunter...like you. Your a sport hunter I am assuming so you have well classified yourself :) Third, in most states, it is a right to hunt what is on your land 12 months a year unless laws specify other wise. That is the right of owning land that your ignorant about again.
Your to brainwashed by something green shoes. Life isn't about a fairway and nine holes for most. And with the way the economy is, more and more in rural areas are turning to subsistence fishing and hunting game to put food in the freezer to put on their table in the lean months.
City life has left you with a real deep false sense of reality concerning fishing and hunting and why it's done.
The guy is a phoney. Your right about being a "green shoe", and clueless to what he wants to say he`s an expert at. Even if it`s "the law". He`s lost in a chemical fog sitting at the club house bar listing to others that have also lost sight of reality.

Simply put, his putter shrunk.

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

YourPutterShrunk wrote:
<quoted text>
The guy is a phoney. Your right about being a "green shoe", and clueless to what he wants to say he`s an expert at. Even if it`s "the law". He`s lost in a chemical fog sitting at the club house bar listing to others that have also lost sight of reality.
Simply put, his putter shrunk.
Mr expert, I grew up in Minnesota and hunted all my life. There, you cannot hunt deer at night legally. I obey the laws when it comes to hunting. I still own land there where I and my kids hunt.We do not hunt at night, we only hunt during the season, and we hunt because we enjoy the sport, not because we need the meat. I would venture to say 90% of the hunters in Minnesota fit this category. If you want to side with some ignorant, meat killing, lawbreaker, go ahead, I know I'm right. I never claimed to be an expert on anything, just have experienced you and your buddy too many times.
YourPutterShrunk

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

Judged:

The Golf Guy wrote:
<quoted text> Mr expert, I grew up in Minnesota and hunted all my life. There, you cannot hunt deer at night legally. I obey the laws when it comes to hunting. I still own land there where I and my kids hunt.We do not hunt at night, we only hunt during the season, and we hunt because we enjoy the sport, not because we need the meat. I would venture to say 90% of the hunters in Minnesota fit this category. If you want to side with some ignorant, meat killing, lawbreaker, go ahead, I know I'm right. I never claimed to be an expert on anything, just have experienced you and your buddy too many times.
Read My post #59..... I`m glad you exprianced guys lie us to many times. You belong somewhere other than northern Minnesota. I`ll bet you fit right in with the resty of the "green shoes" at the club house bar. Reading your other posts, your NOT any kind of a hunter, and that`s as clear as a bell. The last sentance on my post #59 says it all.

And of course you know your right. Your buddies on the golf course will just back you right up. Stay in Florida. You belong there.

That`s why your putter shrunk.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

Judged:

The Golf Guy wrote:
<quoted text> Mr expert, I grew up in Minnesota and hunted all my life. There, you cannot hunt deer at night legally. I obey the laws when it comes to hunting. I still own land there where I and my kids hunt.We do not hunt at night, we only hunt during the season, and we hunt because we enjoy the sport, not because we need the meat. I would venture to say 90% of the hunters in Minnesota fit this category. If you want to side with some ignorant, meat killing, lawbreaker, go ahead, I know I'm right. I never claimed to be an expert on anything, just have experienced you and your buddy too many times.
And because you admit to hunting because you enjoy KILLING FOR SPORT and not because you need the meat, your the worst hypocrite happening for a true hunter like me that hunts for the meat to put it on a table for food.
You have judged yourself by your own judgements of others you ignorant backwards thinking Floridan. Now go pay your dues for that nice piece of green you pay for and keep to the local grocery stores where you believe all your sustenance is always going to be supplied from :)

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

I wonder what part the wolves didn't like to eat as much as the others? Like, when people prefer dark meat or light meat or argue over a thigh or the neck? What about a wish bone? Do you think they said, "make a wish!" and pulled on it?

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
If a person doesn't mind the risk of 5 or 10 years in federal prison and up to a 250,000.00 fine, duct taping a milk jug or soda bottle over a .22 barrel is theoretically a good "report" suppressor. But it is a violation of the National Firearms Act of 1934 if the possessor or maker of such a device has not complied with the Act.

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>If a person doesn't mind the risk of 5 or 10 years in federal prison and up to a 250,000.00 fine, duct taping a milk jug or soda bottle over a .22 barrel is theoretically a good "report" suppressor. But it is a violation of the National Firearms Act of 1934 if the possessor or maker of such a device has not complied with the Act.
He wouldn't understand that. Need more than a 3rd grade education.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

Judged:

Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>If a person doesn't mind the risk of 5 or 10 years in federal prison and up to a 250,000.00 fine, duct taping a milk jug or soda bottle over a .22 barrel is theoretically a good "report" suppressor. But it is a violation of the National Firearms Act of 1934 if the possessor or maker of such a device has not complied with the Act.
I took the following off the web. You can do further research if you want about it.

July 10, 2009 at 8:01 pm
If you live in the USA, then you can buy or make a silencer without a license if you live in AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MO, MD, MS, MT, NE, ND, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, or WY. Only federally licensed dealers and manufacturers can own silencers in CA, IA, KS, and MA. Some states ban silencers unless they are registered with the ATF, but they have to be registered in order to be legal at all.

The federal government only licenses those who import, manufacture or deal in firearms (FFL/SOT class 1, 2, or 3)), everyone else only needs to submit the ATF form 4 to buy, or the ATF for 1 to make. There is a $200 tax for each one made or bought by an unlicensed person, but this is much cheaper than getting the license. You need to have the local sheriff sign the ATF form. If the sheriff will not sign, you can form a Corp. or trust to own it for you. Form 5330.20, fingerprint cards and your photos are also required. Authorization by the ATF is routine and takes about 2-3 months now. You can find a local dealer in your state at http://www.subguns.com and silencers are also available online at http://www.gunbroker.com and some other firearm online auctions.

While a silencer can reduce noise by 30 decibels, or a factor of 1000 times lower, this does not make them silent. You can expect a small 22 caliber rim fire rifle to still be at least 115 decibels and a 30 caliber rifle to be at least 135 decibels. While anything less than 140 decibels (impulse noise only) are safe to shoot without hearing protection, some silencers will not lower the noise level to a safe level. A silencer does nothing to reduce bullet flight noise (sonic boom) or action noise. While a high powered rifle shooting supersonic ammo with a silencer may be 135 decibels, the same gun shooting subsonic ammo may be 10 decibels lower (or ten times less noisy), mainly due to the smaller powder charge.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

Judged:

The Golf Guy wrote:
<quoted text> He wouldn't understand that. Need more than a 3rd grade education.
Once again your not just revealing ignorance, your revealing a deep streak of stupid ignorance. Why don't you use that mushy grey matter to instruct your fingers to type to do some research before you speak to type. It would save you much embarassment you are causing yourself. Surly if you have the capacity to swing a club, you can do research on a word?

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I took the following off the web. You can do further research if you want about it.
July 10, 2009 at 8:01 pm
If you live in the USA, then you can buy or make a silencer without a license if you live in AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MO, MD, MS, MT, NE, ND, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, or WY. Only federally licensed dealers and manufacturers can own silencers in CA, IA, KS, and MA. Some states ban silencers unless they are registered with the ATF, but they have to be registered in order to be legal at all.
The federal government only licenses those who import, manufacture or deal in firearms (FFL/SOT class 1, 2, or 3)), everyone else only needs to submit the ATF form 4 to buy, or the ATF for 1 to make. There is a $200 tax for each one made or bought by an unlicensed person, but this is much cheaper than getting the license. You need to have the local sheriff sign the ATF form. If the sheriff will not sign, you can form a Corp. or trust to own it for you. Form 5330.20, fingerprint cards and your photos are also required. Authorization by the ATF is routine and takes about 2-3 months now. You can find a local dealer in your state at http://www.subguns.com and silencers are also available online at http://www.gunbroker.com and some other firearm online auctions.
While a silencer can reduce noise by 30 decibels, or a factor of 1000 times lower, this does not make them silent. You can expect a small 22 caliber rim fire rifle to still be at least 115 decibels and a 30 caliber rifle to be at least 135 decibels. While anything less than 140 decibels (impulse noise only) are safe to shoot without hearing protection, some silencers will not lower the noise level to a safe level. A silencer does nothing to reduce bullet flight noise (sonic boom) or action noise. While a high powered rifle shooting supersonic ammo with a silencer may be 135 decibels, the same gun shooting subsonic ammo may be 10 decibels lower (or ten times less noisy), mainly due to the smaller powder charge.
Why thank you.

When I use a .22LR silencer on my normal length Colt AR15 HBAR Sporter, while also using a .22LR conversion kit, I have used short .22 rifire rounds where the only noise detected by ear was the sound of the hammer dropping and the bullet striking the target.

Once again, I legally own 3 "silencers" and they are best when used with subsonic rounds. My one rifle "silencer" is for use on an AR15 when using 5.56MM rounds and it is not silent at all, in fact it's loud as hell when used on the AR15 with rifle rounds, but the decibel reduciton in sound is to the level where I don't have to use hearing protection, it's reducing to below OSHA standards. Which is good enough.

And in summation and review, my state of residence does not prohibit lawful silencer use while lawfully participating in hunting activity. Which is a good thing.
SNJ

Oppeid, Norway

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2010

cherie wrote:
All Wolves should be shot and killed on sight! Wolves are not, and never have been man's best friend! When they stalk, attack and kill a human it's murder! It's past time to be rid of them.
It would save more lives if all cars, motor bikes and trucks were shot at sight anywhere.......add all drug dealers, murderers, rapists and child molesters too. If you succeed you have saved the state for so much expenses you could afford to keep a wolf population 100 times bigger than the one you keep today without problems.
And - anycase - don't let your own arguments take complete control of yourself.

“Kenyan-born Obama=Antichrist”

Since: Sep 09

Casper, WY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2010

Judged:

Please stand with and pray for our courageous hero LTC Lakin who has put his very freedom on the line by inviting his own court martial in order to expose the corruption in our political system which has allowed our Constitution to be ignored, debased and disrespected.
LTC Lakin, if convicted, will go to prison at Ft. Leavenworth for a very long time. You can continue to help prevent that by sending your most generous tax-deductible contribution to the American Patriot Foundation’s Legal Defense Fund. You can do so by either visiting our website at http://www.safeguardourconstitution.com , or by mailing your check, payable “American Patriot Foundation” to us at 1101 Thirtieth Street, N.W., Suite 500, Washington, D.C. 20007
DC Birther rally delayed until Aug/Sep2010
bjreed - wrote:
How in the world did this conversation end up in this endless circle of bravado hunting/masculinity stories when it all started about a small, petite teacher mauled by wolves? Does nobody remember the poor woman?
Excellent question.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chignik Discussions

Search the Chignik Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
BBNC exploring copper, gold prospects near Chig... Mar '14 they call me nugget 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in Alaska (Di... (Oct '10) Apr '13 gee 6
AK Who do you support for Governor in Alaska in 2010? (Oct '10) Feb '13 Nope 24
AK August 23 Alaska Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) Jun '11 Fulltimer322 9
AK Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Alaska in... (Oct '10) Mar '11 degner 42
•••
•••
•••
•••

Chignik Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chignik People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••