Wolves likely to blame for Alaska tea...

Wolves likely to blame for Alaska teacher's fatal mauling

There are 80 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Mar 11, 2010, titled Wolves likely to blame for Alaska teacher's fatal mauling. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Wolves likely killed a teacher jogging alone along a rural Alaska village road, public safety officials said Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Since: Feb 08

Craigville

#43 Mar 24, 2010
The Golf Guy wrote:
<quoted text> You shouldn't be out hunting at 1:30 am. It's a bit early. Wolves take the weakest of the species, its natures way. Nature didn't plan on you taking deer. Why should the DNR kill wolves, so you can hunt? They were here long before you.
Figures you never heard of a camera that actually takes pictures while I'm not there, amazing technology. What's next, sending someone to the moon?
When the wolf population cannot be supported by their main course, whitetail deer, they will prey on other species, or die of starvation.
Just like in nature
Are you an expert in what Wolves hunt, or how? I'll bet you were one of those knotlicks that was saying that they will never attack a human.
Wolves will kill whatever they can catch, I've got a real nice 8 point rack that I retrieved from a swamp the day after the kill. The wolves caught it in a field, there was a large trampled area covered in blood, and after the kill they drug it to a swamp and ate all but the head and a bit of the cape. They will also kill a full grown moose, why? especially when whitetails inhabit the same forests? Again, they will kill whatever they catch, not just the young/old/weak.
You see deer at the golf course, stick to retrieving balls from the water hazard.

Since: Jan 09

United States of America

#44 Mar 24, 2010
40for60 wrote:
<quoted text>
Figures you never heard of a camera that actually takes pictures while I'm not there, amazing technology. What's next, sending someone to the moon?
When the wolf population cannot be supported by their main course, whitetail deer, they will prey on other species, or die of starvation.
Just like in nature
Are you an expert in what Wolves hunt, or how? I'll bet you were one of those knotlicks that was saying that they will never attack a human.
Wolves will kill whatever they can catch, I've got a real nice 8 point rack that I retrieved from a swamp the day after the kill. The wolves caught it in a field, there was a large trampled area covered in blood, and after the kill they drug it to a swamp and ate all but the head and a bit of the cape. They will also kill a full grown moose, why? especially when whitetails inhabit the same forests? Again, they will kill whatever they catch, not just the young/old/weak.
You see deer at the golf course, stick to retrieving balls from the water hazard.
Stick to football. Your ignorance is showing.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#45 Mar 24, 2010
40for60 wrote:
I live around wolves, our hunting land near Bigfork can conjure up the sound of Wolves howling often at night. Our deer hunting has been laid to waste, I have a picture of three wolves running down one of our trails on opening morning at 1:30am.
Needless to say, we didn't see any deer opening weekend, and reports around the area have been similar, few deer.
The feds came in and trapped a bunch out of the area many years ago, looks like they will have to do it again.
Talk to people in that area, and they say they used to see many deer in their fields at dusk. Now, they may see a wolf or two every now or then, but few deer. They have also been killing dogs in the Jessie Lake area, one person I know looked out her window to see a wolf carrying her small dog off. Needless to say, rover became food for clover.
Don't let the animal rights nutbags fool you, I pack when I'm in the woods, just in case.
Much rather be safe than sorry.
Even if this woman didn't have headphones on, watch the animal planet, they attack from behind. She may not have even known what was happening until she felt the first fangs.
I lived in Montana. In several areas. During your hunting season, when you have your rifle and a scope, keep a sack of small potatoes.
You spot any of those wolves, put a potatoe on the end of your rifle and it'll work like a silencer. When done if successful with a hit, go skin the wolf(s) and leave the body half buried. Animals will get to it in hours. Take the furs and burn them. Then get rid of that rifle :)

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Since: Feb 08

Craigville

#46 Mar 24, 2010
The Golf Guy wrote:
<quoted text> Stick to football. Your ignorance is showing.
And your knowledge of Wolves comes from?
Let me guess, the animal planet.
Four!

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#47 Mar 24, 2010
The Golf Guy wrote:
<quoted text> You shouldn't be out hunting at 1:30 am. It's a bit early. Wolves take the weakest of the species, its natures way. Nature didn't plan on you taking deer. Why should the DNR kill wolves, so you can hunt? They were here long before you.
We love to have people like you up here in Alaska :) Your the eco-peta tree saving bunny loving hug a bear type I'd guess.
Get it in your head, not everyone is created equal in this country. Next, instead of having $ for some metal clubs, some people live where $ means food for the next meal. Now if you have a solution for all those poor folk that live week to week or month to month, build a city and ship them there and solve their problems. Mean time, you need to deal with reality, not your golf course ideas. Most people that fish and hunt in the USA do it to have food, not a trophy. So depending on the time zone your in will mean the difference between hunting in the dark or light. From the west coast of Canada and Alaska to the east coast of Canada it is light at 1:30 am. in some hunting seasons. In the lower 48 if your on your own land, hunting in the dark is one of the best times to get a buck or doe.
Wolves and bears kill off the weakest (you were correct on one point), sick and new born. That is why herds become decimated to the point where (wolves especially) will seek out secondary and third sources for meat like civilized animals and then humans.
Nature didn't plan on you paying to play golf on a section of her earth tore all the hell up either so now what? And nature did plan for species to control each other, including a walking up right species. When one species becomes to populated, crap happens and the population decreases by one or more ways and things balance out.
Also, wolves are the problem in many areas where deer and such are decimated because a species called wolves ceased to exist in many areas for a long time. Now that they are back, we are seeing how nature worked and that is why DNR steps in and that is why you get to pay for a ripped up part of the earth you can hit some ball about on :)
More fun facts

Plymouth, MN

#48 Mar 24, 2010
cherie wrote:
All Wolves should be shot and killed on sight! Wolves are not, and never have been man's best friend! When they stalk, attack and kill a human it's murder! It's past time to be rid of them.
Change the word 'Wolves', to 'Liberals', and you just might have something!

United States of America

#49 Mar 25, 2010
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
We love to have people like you up here in Alaska :) Your the eco-peta tree saving bunny loving hug a bear type I'd guess.
Get it in your head, not everyone is created equal in this country. Next, instead of having $ for some metal clubs, some people live where $ means food for the next meal. Now if you have a solution for all those poor folk that live week to week or month to month, build a city and ship them there and solve their problems. Mean time, you need to deal with reality, not your golf course ideas. Most people that fish and hunt in the USA do it to have food, not a trophy. So depending on the time zone your in will mean the difference between hunting in the dark or light. From the west coast of Canada and Alaska to the east coast of Canada it is light at 1:30 am. in some hunting seasons. In the lower 48 if your on your own land, hunting in the dark is one of the best times to get a buck or doe.
Wolves and bears kill off the weakest (you were correct on one point), sick and new born. That is why herds become decimated to the point where (wolves especially) will seek out secondary and third sources for meat like civilized animals and then humans.
Nature didn't plan on you paying to play golf on a section of her earth tore all the hell up either so now what? And nature did plan for species to control each other, including a walking up right species. When one species becomes to populated, crap happens and the population decreases by one or more ways and things balance out.
Also, wolves are the problem in many areas where deer and such are decimated because a species called wolves ceased to exist in many areas for a long time. Now that they are back, we are seeing how nature worked and that is why DNR steps in and that is why you get to pay for a ripped up part of the earth you can hit some ball about on :)
The more you talk, the more your ignorance shows. Goodbye, grizzley adams.

United States of America

#50 Mar 25, 2010
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I lived in Montana. In several areas. During your hunting season, when you have your rifle and a scope, keep a sack of small potatoes.
You spot any of those wolves, put a potatoe on the end of your rifle and it'll work like a silencer. When done if successful with a hit, go skin the wolf(s) and leave the body half buried. Animals will get to it in hours. Take the furs and burn them. Then get rid of that rifle :)
You sound like a typical violater, who cries when you get caught. You talk about hunting at night, killing wolves for no reason, you are quite the sportsman. Go back to your cave, Grizzley Adams, and stay off the library computer.
YourPutterShrunk

AOL

#51 Mar 25, 2010
The Golf Guy wrote:
Hay stupid, he didn`t say he was hunting at that time. The animal was caught on a trail cam. Nature also means WE HUMANS are the top of the food chain to market shopping dope. Nature didn`t plan your golf course, it was built by men. Go back to drinking your fancy clubhouse drinks, and leave the "men stuff" to men, because you haven`t a clue about what is being discussed.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#52 Mar 25, 2010
The Golf Guy wrote:
<quoted text> The more you talk, the more your ignorance shows. Goodbye, grizzly adams. You sound like a typical violater, who cries when you get caught. You talk about hunting at night, killing wolves for no reason, you are quite the sportsman. Go back to your cave, Grizzly Adams, and stay off the library computer.
lolol....and that comes from the flapping lips of some ol' florida paunch looking guy swinging clubs on scarred up pieces of earth where trees and animals and habitat and streams were destroyed so you could swing a metal club at a small white ball and in between strokes talk about all the evils that everyone else is committing??? lololol.....that Florida sun is burning the hair off the top your balding head ol' man. Better start wearing a cap so you can think before those coastal winds help you flap those lips into bouts of speech idiocy. Frickin back-*ss hypocritical Floridan lip talkin' hillbilly :) Go get your clubs, a round of golf is calling you :)

United States of America

#53 Mar 25, 2010
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
lolol....and that comes from the flapping lips of some ol' florida paunch looking guy swinging clubs on scarred up pieces of earth where trees and animals and habitat and streams were destroyed so you could swing a metal club at a small white ball and in between strokes talk about all the evils that everyone else is committing??? lololol.....that Florida sun is burning the hair off the top your balding head ol' man. Better start wearing a cap so you can think before those coastal winds help you flap those lips into bouts of speech idiocy. Frickin back-*ss hypocritical Floridan lip talkin' hillbilly :) Go get your clubs, a round of golf is calling you :)
I'm really hurt by remarks from a mouth breathing red neck, who's family tree has no branches.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#54 Mar 25, 2010
The Golf Guy wrote:
<quoted text> I'm really hurt by remarks from a mouth breathing red neck, who's family tree has no branches.
Just because you're most likely a possible flaming homo, that doesn't automatically make your detractors a "mouth breathing red neck".

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#55 Mar 25, 2010
The Golf Guy wrote:
<quoted text> I'm really hurt by remarks from a mouth breathing red neck, who's family tree has no branches.
See, now that shows how much you pay attention. My remarks were never meant to hurt. My remarks were about the truth of you and your "take it for granted life style" that you ASSUME is so correct and well while wondering how in the *ell all the rest of us can't have life like you.
Your an idiot. But your not an unintelligent idiot. Your an uninformed idiot. As long as you remain uninformed and suck in all the eco-Peta wolf and bear loving crap environmentalists and animal lover groups print and videos you will forever remain an uninformed idiot.
We get intelligent, but really stupid idiotiotic intelligent ecosave the animal types up here that end up thinking they have become the species they are out to save. They have ended up being eaten and mauled to death by the critters they think should be recognizing them as one of their own.
It's nice you have opinions, but like assess, we all have one :) Get informed. You'll appear more intelligent then you have so far :)

United States of America

#56 Mar 26, 2010
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
See, now that shows how much you pay attention. My remarks were never meant to hurt. My remarks were about the truth of you and your "take it for granted life style" that you ASSUME is so correct and well while wondering how in the *ell all the rest of us can't have life like you.
Your an idiot. But your not an unintelligent idiot. Your an uninformed idiot. As long as you remain uninformed and suck in all the eco-Peta wolf and bear loving crap environmentalists and animal lover groups print and videos you will forever remain an uninformed idiot.
We get intelligent, but really stupid idiotiotic intelligent ecosave the animal types up here that end up thinking they have become the species they are out to save. They have ended up being eaten and mauled to death by the critters they think should be recognizing them as one of their own.
It's nice you have opinions, but like assess, we all have one :) Get informed. You'll appear more intelligent then you have so far :)
Hey, clueless one, you were the one who suggested hunting in the lower 48 at 1:30 in the morning. You were the one who suggested putting a potato on your gun barrel to illegally kill wolves. You were the one who said most people hunt for necessity, instead of sport. Because I live in Florida, you assume I am old and know nothing about hunting. I have hunted in about 15 states, including Alaska, so be carefull what you "assume". Living in Florida does't make me a Peta member, nor does you living in Alaska make you a hunter. You sound to me like a meat killer, not a ethical hunter. Put that in your bear fat and smoke it.

United States of America

#57 Mar 26, 2010
40for60 wrote:
<quoted text>
And your knowledge of Wolves comes from?
Let me guess, the animal planet.
Four!
Actually, I lived in northern Minnesota for a number of years. I am not an expert, but just don't believe in killing every wolf. Now, I live in Florida, and while hunting, I see many poisonous snakes, but unlike many here, I don't kill them.
Sarah D

Minneapolis, MN

#58 Mar 26, 2010
The Golf Guy wrote:
<quoted text> Actually, I lived in northern Minnesota for a number of years. I am not an expert, but just don't believe in killing every wolf. Now, I live in Florida, and while hunting, I see many poisonous snakes, but unlike many here, I don't kill them.
I hope though if you see a Burmese python that you report it. While the Burmese python is not poisonous, it is very dangerous to small children and pets and it's not native to Florida. Unfortunately it's thriving and is pushing out native snakes.
YourPutterShrunk

AOL

#59 Mar 26, 2010
The Golf Guy wrote:
<quoted text> Actually, I lived in northern Minnesota for a number of years. I am not an expert, but just don't believe in killing every wolf. Now, I live in Florida, and while hunting, I see many poisonous snakes, but unlike many here, I don't kill them.
Northern Minnesota is a vast area. What part, and when did you live there would be a good question. The reason is, because it`s only been lately [last 5 years max] that the wolf population has out grown it`s natural limits because of the governments protection, and at that, only in certain areas. I didn`t read anyone saying kill them all, just control the balance. And yes, WE are the top peditor on this planet, like it or not. In the arrow-head area around Lake Superior and up into Canada, a hunt is very easy to picture......

The first year will see many wolve taken, because they are no longer afraid of human beings [our governments fault for letting the population of wolves get out of hand, and animal lovers like you that are clueless]. the second years hunt would produce far fewer, and when it`s all said and done, it would be rare in a few years to see hardly any taken on a hunt...and the hunts could be controlled as they do with moose for instance.

If you look at the states that have those kinds of controlled wolf hunts, you`ll find that although a few are killed, those states have the most healthy populations of natural wolf packs.

If you hunt in Florida, your not hunting here. You sound like a typical warm weather clubhouse golfer. Full of yourself, but full of "I know it all" for every subject you come across.

My outhouse is full of that also.

Go back to hitting your little ball into the little hole, if you can squeeze out of your golf cart. Leave the wolves to us.

United States of America

#60 Mar 26, 2010
Sarah D wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope though if you see a Burmese python that you report it. While the Burmese python is not poisonous, it is very dangerous to small children and pets and it's not native to Florida. Unfortunately it's thriving and is pushing out native snakes.
Any python I come across gets killed, they do not belong here.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#61 Mar 26, 2010
The Golf Guy wrote:
<quoted text> Hey, clueless one, you were the one who suggested hunting in the lower 48 at 1:30 in the morning. You were the one who suggested putting a potato on your gun barrel to illegally kill wolves. You were the one who said most people hunt for necessity, instead of sport. Because I live in Florida, you assume I am old and know nothing about hunting. I have hunted in about 15 states, including Alaska, so be careful what you "assume". Living in Florida does't make me a Peta member, nor does you living in Alaska make you a hunter. You sound to me like a meat killer, not a ethical hunter. Put that in your bear fat and smoke it.
First I'll call you a liar for saying you have hunted. You may have a gun and you may shoot it but your not a hunter. See, if you were a hunter, you would know that some of the best hunting on one's own property is in the evening or on a full moon night. But you didn't know that.
Now my initial advice, was the same other hunters and farmers and ranchers give to each other when a problem species has arrived and is abounding. You may not like it but solutions are sought when the law states it is more important that live stock should be killed off then a pack of wolves should be shot. Because your unaware of that, you further prove you know nothing of hunting and the parameters it reaches into when a solution is needed the law forbids.
Also, you show your ignorance in thinking most people hunt and fish for sport. Most people hunt and fish for food. Get informed.
Next, I would wager I know more of hunting and fishing sport and non-sport wise then you could write about.
We have more subsistence hunters and fishers up here in Alaska per capitol then in any other state going.
"Meat killer?" lolol. That was sweet. I'll take it as a compliment:) By the way, your still uninformed. It doesn't have to be that way :)

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#62 Mar 26, 2010
The Golf Guy wrote:

You were the one who suggested putting a potato on your gun barrel to illegally kill wolves.
A person who puts a potato on a gun barrel for the purpose of ATTEMPTING to muffle it's reprort is stupid on two accounts.

1) The potato won't do much but explode, if you're going to make an illegally possessed silencer, just duct tape a milk jug over your barrel. At least when you're going to prison for that illegal silencer, your cell mates would at least say that makes more sense than a potato.

2) Attempting to muffle a firearm's report is the same as illegally making a "silencer". The law doesn't specify that a person has to be successful at making a gun silent, merely that a person manufactured a silencer with an intent.

3) Silencer possession and use is legal in the US, so long as the National Firearms Act of 1934 is complied with as well as state laws.

4) The funny thing about silencers and hunting, is that in Wisconsin it is legal to do so, so why would you use a potato?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chignik Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BBNC exploring copper, gold prospects near Chig... (Mar '14) Mar '14 they call me nugget 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Alaska (Di... (Oct '10) Apr '13 gee 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chignik Mortgages