Wolves likely to blame for Alaska teacher's fatal mauling

Wolves likely killed a teacher jogging alone along a rural Alaska village road, public safety officials said Thursday. Full Story
Dude

Barron, WI

#22 Mar 18, 2010
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>My wife is 55 years old and she can shoot every gun we have in our collection, including the two submachine guns we legally own and enjoy shooting. Why was this diminutive woman jogging in a wilderness area without at least a revolver in a fanny pack to protect her? Did the wolves eat it too?
Read the article. "The Alaska State Medical Examiner listed "multiple injuries due to animal mauling" as the cause of death for Candice Berner, 32, a special education teacher from Pennsylvania who began working in Alaska in August." She was new to the area. Probably didn't know any better.
FillOutTheCensus

Saint Paul, MN

#23 Mar 18, 2010
Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the article. "The Alaska State Medical Examiner listed "multiple injuries due to animal mauling" as the cause of death for Candice Berner, 32, a special education teacher from Pennsylvania who began working in Alaska in August." She was new to the area. Probably didn't know any better.
I can imagine that with as beautiful as it is to walk into the wild, there are always going to be the uninformed who aren't aware of the dangers that can lurk there. I would love to hike a lot more, but I know I wouldn't carry a gun/rifle with me. Without one of those, I know it's possible to run up against bears, wolves, coyotes crossed with wolves (who are a lot more unpredictible) so where/when I hike is extremely limited because we just don't own any guns. I do think it would be helpful for someone to at least bring a hunting knife and something else that can make some real scarey noise. It doesn't have to be a gun, but would probably be best depending on the circumstances. One of the last places we stayed up near Lake Superior we saw a mother bear and her cubs. I mentioned it to the management of the lodge and they told me that all we would have had to do is clap our hands and they would run off. I don't know if that's very good advise in every case.
Vinnie Barbarino

Barron, WI

#24 Mar 18, 2010
FillOutTheCensus wrote:
<quoted text>
I can imagine that with as beautiful as it is to walk into the wild, there are always going to be the uninformed who aren't aware of the dangers that can lurk there. I would love to hike a lot more, but I know I wouldn't carry a gun/rifle with me. Without one of those, I know it's possible to run up against bears, wolves, coyotes crossed with wolves (who are a lot more unpredictible) so where/when I hike is extremely limited because we just don't own any guns. I do think it would be helpful for someone to at least bring a hunting knife and something else that can make some real scarey noise. It doesn't have to be a gun, but would probably be best depending on the circumstances. One of the last places we stayed up near Lake Superior we saw a mother bear and her cubs. I mentioned it to the management of the lodge and they told me that all we would have had to do is clap our hands and they would run off. I don't know if that's very good advise in every case.
Bring a whistle or air horn along. That ought to scare them off. The thing is, you don't have to go into the wild to encounter large predators. I live in town, but have had bears, bobcats, and other predators in my yard several times.
FillOutTheCensus

Saint Paul, MN

#25 Mar 19, 2010
Vinnie Barbarino wrote:
<quoted text>
Bring a whistle or air horn along. That ought to scare them off. The thing is, you don't have to go into the wild to encounter large predators. I live in town, but have had bears, bobcats, and other predators in my yard several times.
It's hard for me to invision anywhere in Wisconsin as being in town unless you're talking one of the bigger cities. Thankfully we haven't had any predators in our yards. We have rabbits, raccoons, woodchucks, sometimes deer, owls. It's hard for me to think of putting my life into the hands of a whistle or air horn, lol! I think I'll pass on that. While driving in the Twin Cities in town (and I do mean in town), I encountered a whole herd of young deer and had to follow them for about 4 blocks when they realized they were not where they wanted to be and did an about-face back to where they came from. Watch out for any coyote/wolf hybrids. In Canada, at least, they're becoming a real concern because with the two breeds mixed together they are highly unpredictible in their behavior.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#26 Mar 19, 2010
FillOutTheCensus wrote:
<quoted text>
It's hard for me to invision anywhere in Wisconsin as being in town unless you're talking one of the bigger cities.
"invision"? Really? Are you talking about a cable televison company?
FillOutTheCensus

Saint Paul, MN

#27 Mar 20, 2010
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>"invision"? Really? Are you talking about a cable televison company?
I do believe the word means to "unable to visually imagine." What word would you use for that?
Ma Kettle

Fergus Falls, MN

#28 Mar 20, 2010
I think it was a pack of Peta People. Sounds like something they would do.
FillOutTheCensus

Saint Paul, MN

#29 Mar 20, 2010
I speak with a lot of people who spend time in the woods. People should be aware that wolves/coyotes are cross-breeding and those cross-breeds are very unpredictable. Also, there may be people abandoning their dog/wolf cross-breeds. Now I've seen a wolf/dog hybrid only once and it was a positively stunning animal. Judging from the care it was getting at the groomers, I don't think that one would be abandoned any time soon.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#30 Mar 20, 2010
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>My wife is 55 years old and she can shoot every gun we have in our collection, including the two submachine guns we legally own and enjoy shooting. Why was this diminutive woman jogging in a wilderness area without at least a revolver in a fanny pack to protect her? Did the wolves eat it too?
She had been here less then a year. Most lower 48ers that move up here aren't aware that a gun is a good idea in any wilderness area up here, even with in the first mile of the town is a good idea.
There is a road between the town and field airport. May or may not have lights. Many jogged it for exercise. Many were warned to have protection by one older Alaska native woman that worked at the school.
From the reconstruction, she was hit from behind while in mid jog. Probably wearing ear phones for music which would explain why they snuck on her so quickly and effectively. One clamped on her throat and neck and the other two her arms till she bled to death. The wolves then pulled her down onto a small icy pond.

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

#31 Mar 20, 2010
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
She had been here less then a year. Most lower 48ers that move up here aren't aware that a gun is a good idea in any wilderness area up here, even with in the first mile of the town is a good idea.
There is a road between the town and field airport. May or may not have lights. Many jogged it for exercise. Many were warned to have protection by one older Alaska native woman that worked at the school.
From the reconstruction, she was hit from behind while in mid jog. Probably wearing ear phones for music which would explain why they snuck on her so quickly and effectively. One clamped on her throat and neck and the other two her arms till she bled to death. The wolves then pulled her down onto a small icy pond.
It sounds like a person who is jogging, hiking or bicycling would be smart to pack a firearm and a rear view mirror if they cannot have their head on a swivel.
gerald moorcroft

Shelton, WA

#33 Mar 23, 2010
to the old saying about drunh drivers kill more people how many drunks drive looking to kill people so they can tear there thorat out then tear there guts out so they can eat them,real over statement but fact
gerald moorcroft

Shelton, WA

#34 Mar 23, 2010
alaska fish and game end search for wolves Well when they get real hungry again you better be prepared if you let children or anyone go out alone and unarmed cause guess what wolve lovers THEy Will Be Back

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

#35 Mar 23, 2010
gerald moorcroft wrote:
to the old saying about drunh drivers kill more people how many drunks drive looking to kill people so they can tear there thorat out then tear there guts out so they can eat them,real over statement but fact
"Drunk" drivers don't kill "more people". In fact, most fatal highway crashes are not even alcohol related.

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Since: Feb 08

Craigville

#36 Mar 23, 2010
Now that the wolves are reintroduced to Minnesota, Wyoming, Wisconsin..... by the people who don't live around them, just so they might perhaps see one in the wild some day, how long before it happens down here?

Reintroduction of wolves is not worth one human life, period.

My condolences to the young woman’s family.

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Craigville

#37 Mar 23, 2010
I live around wolves, our hunting land near Bigfork can conjure up the sound of Wolves howling often at night. Our deer hunting has been laid to waste, I have a picture of three wolves running down one of our trails on opening morning at 1:30am.
Needless to say, we didn't see any deer opening weekend, and reports around the area have been similar, few deer.
The feds came in and trapped a bunch out of the area many years ago, looks like they will have to do it again.
Talk to people in that area, and they say they used to see many deer in their fields at dusk. Now, they may see a wolf or two every now or then, but few deer. They have also been killing dogs in the Jessie Lake area, one person I know looked out her window to see a wolf carrying her small dog off. Needless to say, rover became food for clover.
Don't let the animal rights nutbags fool you, I pack when I'm in the woods, just in case.
Much rather be safe than sorry.

Even if this woman didn't have headphones on, watch the animal planet, they attack from behind. She may not have even known what was happening until she felt the first fangs.

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Craigville

#38 Mar 23, 2010
Also note that the woman was petite. Under 5' and if she was a runner, probably not much over 100 pounds if that.

Makes one feel good about kids waiting for the bus in rural wolf country, doesn't it?

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

#39 Mar 23, 2010
40for60 wrote:
Also note that the woman was petite. Under 5' and if she was a runner, probably not much over 100 pounds if that.
Makes one feel good about kids waiting for the bus in rural wolf country, doesn't it?
Who cares?

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Craigville

#40 Mar 23, 2010
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>Who cares?
Don't come off with your tough guy persona Richard, we've been around before, and I'm not impressed.
Anyone who sends their kid out to the end of the rural driveway to wait for the bus may care.
To put it a different way, who cares if you don't care?

Since: Jan 09

United States of America

#41 Mar 24, 2010
40for60 wrote:
I live around wolves, our hunting land near Bigfork can conjure up the sound of Wolves howling often at night. Our deer hunting has been laid to waste, I have a picture of three wolves running down one of our trails on opening morning at 1:30am.
Needless to say, we didn't see any deer opening weekend, and reports around the area have been similar, few deer.
The feds came in and trapped a bunch out of the area many years ago, looks like they will have to do it again.
Talk to people in that area, and they say they used to see many deer in their fields at dusk. Now, they may see a wolf or two every now or then, but few deer. They have also been killing dogs in the Jessie Lake area, one person I know looked out her window to see a wolf carrying her small dog off. Needless to say, rover became food for clover.
Don't let the animal rights nutbags fool you, I pack when I'm in the woods, just in case.
Much rather be safe than sorry.
Even if this woman didn't have headphones on, watch the animal planet, they attack from behind. She may not have even known what was happening until she felt the first fangs.
You shouldn't be out hunting at 1:30 am. It's a bit early. Wolves take the weakest of the species, its natures way. Nature didn't plan on you taking deer. Why should the DNR kill wolves, so you can hunt? They were here long before you.
Sarah D

Minneapolis, MN

#42 Mar 24, 2010
Vinnie Barbarino wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not that it "scares them off" but rather that it announces your presence to them. Bears don't really want to encounter humans (unless they've been "trained" to associate humans with food which is why feeding bears is a bad, bad idea) so if they hear noise such as whistles or even loud talking, they will make the effort to avoid you.

It's when humans surprise a bear, especially a mother bear with cubs that an attack is more likely to happen.

As for this story, I had read that the town was aware that a wolf pack was in the area and were taking precautions so as not to run into them. This woman should at the least not have been jogging by herself given the fact that she was small and that it was known that a wolf pack in the area.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chignik Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BBNC exploring copper, gold prospects near Chig... (Mar '14) Mar '14 they call me nugget 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in Alaska (Di... (Oct '10) Apr '13 gee 6
AK Who do you support for Governor in Alaska in 2010? (Oct '10) Feb '13 Nope 24
AK August 23 Alaska Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) Jun '11 Fulltimer322 9
AK Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Alaska in... (Oct '10) Mar '11 degner 42
•••
•••
•••

Chignik Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Chignik People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••