Wolves likely to blame for Alaska teacher's fatal mauling

Full story: TwinCities.com

Wolves likely killed a teacher jogging alone along a rural Alaska village road, public safety officials said Thursday.
Comments
1 - 20 of 80 Comments Last updated May 31, 2010
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Why is it

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2010

Judged:

That the Pioneer Press will put up a comments box to a sensationalistic story like this, but not one to receive comments about the recent PolyMet mine hearing at the MN legislature? I could ask why the wolf story even warrants any column inches in a serious newspaper, but then I remember that this isn't the old St. Paul Dispatch / Pioneer Press newspaper that I remember.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2010

Judged:

Why is it wrote:
That the Pioneer Press will put up a comments box to a sensationalistic story like this, but not one to receive comments about the recent PolyMet mine hearing at the MN legislature? I could ask why the wolf story even warrants any column inches in a serious newspaper, but then I remember that this isn't the old St. Paul Dispatch / Pioneer Press newspaper that I remember.
Actually, it is a sensationalistic story and the media will grab it for a bit because it is one of the few extreme times of an actual recorded incident of wolves stalking and attacking and killing a human in modern times.
See, animal right groups and all their shows and photos and documentaries of wolves paint them as really friendly type animals. Animals they insinuate you could just walk up to and pet and hug and they'd just lick your face and wage their tail like a happy puppy dog.
Well an incident like this goes against everything animal right groups have tried to established about wolves being a man's possible best friend. So they are doing collateral damage work to sustain that "friendly puppy dog image" they have pounded into the public for decades.
Many of the wolves in the area of that small town are going to be exterminated. When those people and Fish and Game are done, you won't see hide or hair of a wolf pack for a couple decades. And that just pisses of animal activists :)
cherie

Cohasset, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2010

Judged:

All Wolves should be shot and killed on sight! Wolves are not, and never have been man's best friend! When they stalk, attack and kill a human it's murder! It's past time to be rid of them.
thissucks

Lakeville, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2010

Sheeesh! What a way to go! Ouch.

Since: Jan 09

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2010

Judged:

cherie wrote:
All Wolves should be shot and killed on sight! Wolves are not, and never have been man's best friend! When they stalk, attack and kill a human it's murder! It's past time to be rid of them.
How about anybody from Cohasset Mn?
hdog

Saint Cloud, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2010

Judged:

Hey, I'm not a bunny hugger, but this is how nature works. The wolves were probably desperately hungry and saw an easy lunch. It's easy for me to say because it wasn't my wife, daughter or sister, but c'mon, you may want to exercise a bit of caution.
Sarah D

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2010

Judged:

Only extreme animal rights groups such as PETA who basically know nothing about animals whether they're domesticated or wild will anthropomorphize wolves as being friendly etc.

More reputable animal protectors will argue that wolves are WILD and should never ever be treated as though they are pets, that they should be respected as WILD animals and that wild animals are unpredictable and can be dangerous to people if people aren't careful.

If this woman was killed by a wolf pack then that PARTICULAR pack might have to be hunted down and destroyed since it has tasted human flesh. But wolf packs killing humans still is very rare so there's no reason to go off on a killing spree against all wolves. More people are probably killed by bears.
Vikings Fan

Rochester, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2010

Judged:

hdog wrote:
Hey, I'm not a bunny hugger, but this is how nature works. The wolves were probably desperately hungry and saw an easy lunch. It's easy for me to say because it wasn't my wife, daughter or sister, but c'mon, you may want to exercise a bit of caution.
Geez, did'nt this teacher watch the movie White Fang? I will bet the wolves are licking their lips right now, howling "humans, hmmmm they taste just like chicken".

Since: Jan 09

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2010

Judged:

Way more people are killed by drunk drivers, but we don't shoot all of them.
Nature 1st

Rice Lake, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2010

Judged:

I don't believe for a minute the wolves killed her. Has any forensic testing been done other wolf tracks were found? What if she died of natural causes or was murdered by someone and then the wolves found her? Sounds to me like "round-up the usual suspects" and kill them all.(Besides when you kill all the predatorsm it weakens the herds!! Above all MAN is the worst predator on Earth!!)
hdog

Saint Cloud, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2010

Judged:

Sarah D wrote:
Only extreme animal rights groups such as PETA who basically know nothing about animals whether they're domesticated or wild will anthropomorphize wolves as being friendly etc.
More reputable animal protectors will argue that wolves are WILD and should never ever be treated as though they are pets, that they should be respected as WILD animals and that wild animals are unpredictable and can be dangerous to people if people aren't careful.
If this woman was killed by a wolf pack then that PARTICULAR pack might have to be hunted down and destroyed since it has tasted human flesh. But wolf packs killing humans still is very rare so there's no reason to go off on a killing spree against all wolves. More people are probably killed by bears.
PETA is merely a grown-up version of those who cried when Bambi's mom was whacked. To some degree, the whole cartoon industry is responsible for characterizing animals as having human qualities, not realizing how hard it would be for people to differentiate.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2010

Judged:

Nature 1st wrote:
I don't believe for a minute the wolves killed her. Has any forensic testing been done other wolf tracks were found? What if she died of natural causes or was murdered by someone and then the wolves found her? Sounds to me like "round-up the usual suspects" and kill them all.(Besides when you kill all the predators it weakens the herds!! Above all MAN is the worst predator on Earth!!)
There is always one like you in a crowd that causes some good belly laughter :) Have you read any up dates on this story? No you haven't or else you wouldn't of posted such idiocy.
The autopsy has been done. They were animal bite marks that are identical to that of a wolf. But they won't state that because they don't want to cause a real problem. So they are not specifying what exact animal did it. That way idiots like you can speculate it also could have been a pack of badgers that attacked her (badgers don't group in packs) or a pack of hungry gophers with really large teeth. I suppose we could say it was a pack of Marmouts but like gophers, the jaws and teeth would have to be really deformed. I suppose it could have been a pack of foxes but there to we are speaking of jaw deformities. I suppose we could go for bears but bears don't hunt in packs either. So that only really leaves birds of prey and caribou and moose that could have attacked and killed her in a pack.
But the real sticker of the incident is that ONLY WOLF PAW PRINTS (not dog paw prints) WERE AT THE SCENE FROM THE POINT OF ATTACK AND FOR A STRETCH OF A HUNDRED YARDS THEY STATED TILL THEY KILLED HER, DRAGGED HER OFF TO A FROZEN LAKE AND BEGAN TO TEAR THROUGH HER CLOTHES TO EAT HER FLESH.
But I realize idiots like you will still come to some other conclusion :)
thissucks

Lakeville, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2010

hdog wrote:
<quoted text>
PETA is merely a grown-up version of those who cried when Bambi's mom was whacked. To some degree, the whole cartoon industry is responsible for characterizing animals as having human qualities, not realizing how hard it would be for people to differentiate.
I agree. "Bambi" is also a large part of the reason that there is so much roadkill. People see an animal on the side of the road and they actually think the animal is waiting and looking both ways before crossing. NOT!
Lizzy

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2010

Judged:

Jogging isn't good for you anyway and this just adds fuel to the fire. Pass me another chip.
watchdawg

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2010

Judged:

this must be a joke wolfs. kill to eat.
Nature 1st wrote:
I don't believe for a minute the wolves killed her. Has any forensic testing been done other wolf tracks were found? What if she died of natural causes or was murdered by someone and then the wolves found her? Sounds to me like "round-up the usual suspects" and kill them all.(Besides when you kill all the predatorsm it weakens the herds!! Above all MAN is the worst predator on Earth!!)
Churchlady

Racine, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2010

Judged:

Having lived in Wyoming and northern Wisconsin I believe the ONLY good wolf is a dead wolf.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2010

Judged:

Churchlady wrote:
Having lived in Wyoming and northern Wisconsin I believe the ONLY good wolf is a dead wolf.
The problem with wolves, is that that can eat school teacher, but they can't eat them all.

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2010

cherie wrote:
When they stalk, attack and kill a human it's murder!
How did these wolves disarm the school teacher?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2010

Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>How did these wolves disarm the school teacher?
She was a small lady and jogging in the late afternoon or evening on a snow covered dirt road to the local air field I believe.

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2010

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
She was a small lady and jogging in the late afternoon or evening on a snow covered dirt road to the local air field I believe.
My wife is 55 years old and she can shoot every gun we have in our collection, including the two submachine guns we legally own and enjoy shooting. Why was this diminutive woman jogging in a wilderness area without at least a revolver in a fanny pack to protect her? Did the wolves eat it too?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chignik Discussions

Search the Chignik Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
BBNC exploring copper, gold prospects near Chig... Mar '14 they call me nugget 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in Alaska (Di... (Oct '10) Apr '13 gee 6
AK Who do you support for Governor in Alaska in 2010? (Oct '10) Feb '13 Nope 24
AK August 23 Alaska Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) Jun '11 Fulltimer322 9
AK Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Alaska in... (Oct '10) Mar '11 degner 42
•••
•••
•••
•••

Chignik Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chignik People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••