City Council looks at ideas to 'take ...

City Council looks at ideas to 'take back downtown'

There are 35 comments on the Chico Enterprise-Record story from Feb 18, 2009, titled City Council looks at ideas to 'take back downtown'. In it, Chico Enterprise-Record reports that:

City councilors Tuesday night OK'd a series of ideas aimed at getting the entire community involved to "take back downtown." Measures ranging from cracking down on skateboarders and bicyclists illegally on ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chico Enterprise-Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rick

Fair Oaks, CA

#21 Feb 19, 2009
Richard Cadby wrote:
So, exactly who is it that Rucker and Nickell want to take the town back from? Skateboarders? Bike riders? Good Lord, I come near panic thinking of the barbaric hordes of blood crazed skateboarders that have held Chico hostage for so long! Just the thought of them and their despicable bicycle buddies keep my visits to Peet's down to only two or three times a week! Horrors!
Since what some people have come to call the "riot" didn't take place "downtown" it couldn't be the "riotors" who have that maniacal hold on Chico right? Whatever!
Chico is such a scary place!
Skate or Die!
Hey Nickell, most people you know go to the bars downtown!
Everybody Knows

United States

#22 Feb 19, 2009
Ask the Question wrote:
Frankly, I am tired of hearing about the city leaders trying to spend time and resources on "Downtown". We are talking about 4-6 acres of revenue generating property. What are the other businesses in Chico (the outer circles of Chico) expecting from their city leaders. What about some of us who don't live downtown. I do not appreciate the fact that a downtown special team from Chico PD was assigned. Why aren't those resources available to all of Chico. TIME TO QUIT CATERING TO THE DOWNTOWN BUSINESS ESTABLISHMENT. The city leaders won't hear of this. Especially Nikell. He is highly funded by those downtown interests.
The Downtown Business Association is responsible for every crappy, stupid, pointless thing that happens downtown. When are these business owner jerks going to realize that it is not the city that sucks, it is their terrible attempt at overpriced ugly retail.
Rick

Fair Oaks, CA

#23 Feb 19, 2009
You guys ever been to Santa Cruz? The downtown is thriving, transients, families, skaters, bicyclists, punks and all!
johhny truth

Morgan Hill, CA

#24 Feb 19, 2009
clean up downtown. why not start with banning smoking?
CIGARETTES ARE THE MOST LITTERED ITEM ON THE PLANET. skateboarders have never bothered me or has bicycle riders. now, cig smokers have no respect for others around them & litter every sidewalk, park trail, parking lot & street corner. ban tobacco smoking & the city will be much cleaner!
Everybody Knows

United States

#25 Feb 19, 2009
Rick wrote:
You guys ever been to Santa Cruz? The downtown is thriving, transients, families, skaters, bicyclists, punks and all!
In Santa Cruz the families, and old folks have decided to accept progress and co-exist with others, where here in Chico we TRY to keep things the way they were in the 50s. Repressed and boring.
Brian

Chico, CA

#26 Feb 20, 2009
Apparently on Downtown sidewalks it is.
Brian

Chico, CA

#27 Feb 20, 2009
johhny truth wrote:
clean up downtown. why not start with banning smoking?
CIGARETTES ARE THE MOST LITTERED ITEM ON THE PLANET. skateboarders have never bothered me or has bicycle riders. now, cig smokers have no respect for others around them & litter every sidewalk, park trail, parking lot & street corner. ban tobacco smoking & the city will be much cleaner!
I am a smoker & I try not to smoke on anyone when walking past them & I put my butts out & throw them away properly.
Why should I have to pay for myself being responsible & others whom are not being responsibe?
Why not just up fines for those who litter?
Chico Guy

Chico, CA

#28 Feb 20, 2009
As someone who works downtown and is also a advocate for our homeless community members, I must also admit that the amount of blatent drug use and agressive panhandling has increased over the last year. I will still shop and dine primarily in the downtown area, but I we must also come up with a plan for making it more family friendly.

CG

PS: There is only one cat on a leash...

“yo”

Since: Feb 09

The South-East, US of A

#29 Feb 20, 2009
Which means fixing the root problem, without any needless persecution or whatever aggressive means used.
sunshine

Gridley, CA

#30 Feb 25, 2009
What about the Youth For Change Program that is located downtown? That program is a joke, and no one should be funding it to be downtown. The majority of the rift raft that hang out downtown besides the homeless, are these teens that are supposed to be getting help from this so called program, when in reality... the supervisors are letting them smoke pot outside the facility, hang out with their dogs that they can't even feed, and run around downtown and shop lift all day... yes I said SHOP LIFT!!! and it doesn't help downtown, so I hope this is something that is resolved in the near future.
Everybody Knows

United States

#31 Feb 26, 2009
sunshine wrote:
What about the Youth For Change Program that is located downtown? That program is a joke, and no one should be funding it to be downtown. The majority of the rift raft that hang out downtown besides the homeless, are these teens that are supposed to be getting help from this so called program, when in reality... the supervisors are letting them smoke pot outside the facility, hang out with their dogs that they can't even feed, and run around downtown and shop lift all day... yes I said SHOP LIFT!!! and it doesn't help downtown, so I hope this is something that is resolved in the near future.
That place offers a lot of good services, but I can see how it enables young people to be homeless. A few years ago Chico PD and the D.T.B.A. spent tireless efforts to chase out the "park rats" from downtown. Now these local "park rats" are gone and downtown is in complete chaos. The bums of back then regulated and didn't let bad people hang out. Downtown was a relaxing, and safe place for all. Now that nobody who cares about this town hangs out there any more the shady evil bum who has been kicked out of other towns can come here and be living on easy street. Basically since Chico treats its locals like crap they have made downtown a haven for the lowest of the lowlifes. Good job Chico. It's only going to get worse too.
Dean

Redding, CA

#32 Mar 5, 2009
I agree with "Ask the Question", that we need to add parking meters to other areas of Chico's business areas and not just punish people who just shop downtown.
How many $23.00 tickets are you going to get before you go shopping away from downtown?
If enough people stay away from downtown, there won't be a parking problem.
The real parking problem is on Saturdays. The city could make some real money ticketing all those people parking backwards or for more than two hours.
Vern

AOL

#33 Mar 5, 2009
Rick wrote:
Skateboarding is not a crime!
To discourage skateboarding and bicycling, the city will focus on education, including having police teach business owners and community members on how to verbally confront skateboarders and bicyclists."

Duh! here we go again ... its not the skateboarding and bicycling. I'ts the drunk studens thats ruining downtown and the main reason most folks avoid going there. I for one do not like to step in puke and piss on the sidewalk. And this problem will continue until the city forces CSU to take responsibility for the students actions. And that does not mean a ride to county lock-up to just sleep it off ... please see previous post from another topic.

With Gasoline still at $2.00 a gallon and the time it takes to transfer these drunken fools to Oroville adds up and it's the public that eventually picks up the cost. In case you have not noticed the city, county and state are broke. I'm sticking to my guns ... CSU should be held responsible for the students actions. Why should the local taxpayer be inconvenienced with the cost and absence of police protection because their busy transferring these clowns to the county lockup to sleep it off? Have CSU build a facility on campus and let them deal with it.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#34 Mar 5, 2009
Vern wrote:
<quoted text>To discourage skateboarding and bicycling, the city will focus on education, including having police teach business owners and community members on how to verbally confront skateboarders and bicyclists."
Duh! here we go again ... its not the skateboarding and bicycling. I'ts the drunk studens thats ruining downtown and the main reason most folks avoid going there. I for one do not like to step in puke and **** on the sidewalk. And this problem will continue until the city forces CSU to take responsibility for the students actions. And that does not mean a ride to county lock-up to just sleep it off ... please see previous post from another topic.
With Gasoline still at $2.00 a gallon and the time it takes to transfer these drunken fools to Oroville adds up and it's the public that eventually picks up the cost. In case you have not noticed the city, county and state are broke. I'm sticking to my guns ... CSU should be held responsible for the students actions. Why should the local taxpayer be inconvenienced with the cost and absence of police protection because their busy transferring these clowns to the county lockup to sleep it off? Have CSU build a facility on campus and let them deal with it.
Vern how many places are there within walking distance of CSUC, including Safeway, and places like Madison Bear,and Sierra Nevada Brewing that the city is making revenue off of by selling booze to the students? Chico is not a college town it is a watering hole for kids to learn about getting a "taste" of what it will be like for the rest of their lives out across all of America. Suger is King! Everyone needs to be addicted to it and Iodized salt so those that those that rule (Coka Cola)can control the people and make a good profit of of human suffering. CSUC is actually a planned part of the prison system, medical care, and insurance companies. Don't you get it?
Gaundi he was smart enough to not eat the governments salt it was altered. They did everything in there power to keep him from walking to the sea.
Just the facts

Redding, CA

#35 Mar 5, 2009
Everybody Knows wrote:
<quoted text>
That place offers a lot of good services, but I can see how it enables young people to be homeless. A few years ago Chico PD and the D.T.B.A. spent tireless efforts to chase out the "park rats" from downtown. Now these local "park rats" are gone and downtown is in complete chaos. The bums of back then regulated and didn't let bad people hang out. Downtown was a relaxing, and safe place for all. Now that nobody who cares about this town hangs out there any more the shady evil bum who has been kicked out of other towns can come here and be living on easy street. Basically since Chico treats its locals like crap they have made downtown a haven for the lowest of the lowlifes. Good job Chico. It's only going to get worse too.
hahaha- you knowledge of "bums" and their classifications is remarkable. Is there some way to identify the protective, beneficial bum, vs the malignant evil bum?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What is Trump so worried about? 8 min First Amendment 11
Evangelical christians Spiritual Leader is Dona... 1 hr not good 2 RAPE 3
NEVER AGAIN TRUST a Conservative or Republican ... 1 hr Conservatives Kil... 3
Republicans & Evangelicals & NRA Masters are CO... 1 hr NRA R Baby Killers 1
ONE Drop of White Blood makes you "Caucasian"! 1 hr Gods Blood Devalued 1
Illegal Alien Arrested - Make America Great Again 2 hr GRANDPA NICHOLAI 3
Simple Solution For Grandpa 2 hr Grandpa The Loser 1

Chico Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance