Anadarko Daily News
Bewildered

Anadarko, OK

#21 Nov 12, 2011
Interesting comments in Carolyns' editorial today. We already know that the ADN doesn't print rumor, or conjecture, preferring to print AP stories, because that way they can't get involved in legal issues.

Yet today, Carolyn's heard people have been saying she is 'sick' or 'feeble'. She says 'I have taken names' and because they could be hurting her business, she guesses she may check with an attorney.

She closes; "They burned our building down and now trying a whispering campaign about Joe and myself'.

Its' just my opinion, but if the ADN actually practised SERIOUS journalism, perhaps people would be talking about the stories rather than focusing so much on the characters of those running the paper.
Bewildered

Anadarko, OK

#22 Jan 22, 2012
Carolyn's Editorial this Saturday was in a similar vein to many of her columns. The good old days, her family and all. But then she told everyone how she moved with the times - how she couldn't get by without using computers and her iPhone etc.

But she couldn't understand people using Facebook and how people would post pictures on there. She wound up by saying that no-one should post pictures on Facebook of anyone in swimsuits -'unless they were 10 years old or less'.

Sorry? Unfortunately in just one sentence she summed up that she is living in the past and doesn't understand the challenges of being a responsible parent in the 21st Century. Has the Editor of our local paper never heard the word 'pedophile'?
Your average Bear

Oklahoma City, OK

#23 Apr 21, 2012
"whatdaheck"]Well you can't get a minor traffic ticket in this town without the whole town knowing about it, only if your sorta rich can u keep the bad publicity about your family out of the paper, like when local realtor Sue Boswell's daughter died of a drug overdose in a bad part of town, that wasn't in the paper. I don't think there will ever be "real" local news in that paper, it more like a very big society column. Waste of newprint and time.

Whatdaheck,
Rich or Poor has nothing to do with whose tickets get published. They are public record and the paper here prints them all. The get their information from the same place you would if you looked for it. If it's not there the paper can't get it either, so if someone is omitted it's not the papers fault. Someone else hid the info before them!
As far as your tickets, maybe you'd be better served learning to drive and abiding by the laws, then you'd stay out of the public records too!
You should also check your facts before spouting off about people dying.... you repeated rumor, not fact. Check into it and then post. Or simply keep quiet! Also if you don't appreciate the paper here, then maybe you should stop trying to read it.
Your average Bear

Oklahoma City, OK

#24 Apr 21, 2012
Bewildered wrote:
Carolyn's Editorial this Saturday was in a similar vein to many of her columns. The good old days, her family and all. But then she told everyone how she moved with the times - how she couldn't get by without using computers and her iPhone etc.
But she couldn't understand people using Facebook and how people would post pictures on there. She wound up by saying that no-one should post pictures on Facebook of anyone in swimsuits -'unless they were 10 years old or less'.
Sorry? Unfortunately in just one sentence she summed up that she is living in the past and doesn't understand the challenges of being a responsible parent in the 21st Century. Has the Editor of our local paper never heard the word 'pedophile'?
Bewildered, I think you missed the point. I believe what Carolyn was referring to was maybe people should refrain from posting pictures of themselves in swimwear because they may not be as presentable as a young person is. I fail to see the harm in remembering the Good Old Days, and think it a bit harsh to refer to this as living in the past. Do you have no fond memories that you revisit? Sad if not!
Your average Bear

Oklahoma City, OK

#25 Apr 21, 2012
wishing1 wrote:
u see? this is the problem with the daily news. BECAUSE they don't print anything to do with anadarko other than those things that are reported by the AP, gossip is rampant.
i agree, someone needs to start another paper. i don't see how the paper will continue the way it is currently being run. they are well on their way to having their new building, and i don't know how they will be able to keep things going. i am sure their circulation is decreasing. i buy it occasionally, not near as often as i used to buy it and most people i talk to say the same thing.
very sad...very very sad.
This is not only a lie, but a total oversight on your behalf. The Daily News publishes many local stories... don't you read the front page of the paper? There is local news on it everyday! The paper doesn't have a staff of reporters like in the old days, if there is something you'd like to read about in the paper, you should bring it to their attention and aid them in the information gathering, instead of being part of the problem by hating. It's a community paper, be part of the community, work with them instead of slandering and belittling them. The good will be reciprocated!
Bewildered

Anadarko, OK

#26 Apr 22, 2012
Your average Bear wrote:
<quoted text>
Bewildered, I think you missed the point. I believe what Carolyn was referring to was maybe people should refrain from posting pictures of themselves in swimwear because they may not be as presentable as a young person is. I fail to see the harm in remembering the Good Old Days, and think it a bit harsh to refer to this as living in the past. Do you have no fond memories that you revisit? Sad if not!
YAB - I must question whether you are the one who's actually missed the point. I understand what Carolyn was saying, and I expect that almost ALL of us have happy memories of childhood, etc. Unfortunately, in the modern world there are certain realities that need to be understood if we are to safeguard our children and grandchildren. Additionally, our city has things that need to be remedied if we are ever going to have a place that is fit for those kids to grow up in.

This town needs EVERYONE to be pulling together if it is ever again going to be a place where people are truly proud to live. We all have a responsibility to work towards that and the local paper has a bigger responsibility than most. That includes printing actual local news, not just what the AP prints. It means that the paper should be actively reporting things like the work of the City, the Chamber, LIONS, Rotary, Kiwanis and other agencies, organizations and so on. Information only helps organizations and the community work together for OUR benefit. To not report things means good work exists in isolation and at best means that there is likely duplication of effort leading to waste and dilution of possible success. At worst, it means that things don't happen - because everyone feels NOTHING is happening.

If a lack of staff means the ADN can't get around the city, clubs and associations, the paper should encourage submissions and actually print local press releases. I have heard from a number of people from the clubs, agencies and so on, that they just don't submit press releases any more because the paper prefers to run a paid advert, rather than print a press release. Or for some reason the ADN just choose not to print things - maybe because they have some sort of 'issue' with the person or organization submitting it.

'With great power comes great responsibility'. The ADN needs to recognize that and live up to it.

If not, the post by wishing1 is right. The City of Anadarko needs a new voice. If the ADN cannot or will not recognize that, another phrase comes to mind that should be considered:'Nature abhors a vacuum'
Your average Bear

Oklahoma City, OK

#27 Apr 22, 2012
For the past year and a half, the ADN has printed the commissioner meetings, the excise board meetings, the courthouse/jail building meetings and so forth. The city council meetings are also being printed. Frankly, the chamber of commerce doesn't do much, so there isn't anything to report. The service clubs in Anadarko aren't very active anymore . I did see mention in a commissioners story that the Lions club is revamping the gazebo, but since that project isn't finished, I assume that's why nothing more has been said. The paper has a policy of considering all submissions for publication pending the approval of the Editor contingent upon their legal representations advice. They will never publish something of malicious nature or uncertain origins, I know this by hearing their policies over the years. You're dealing with conscientious people, non corrupt people, and people with the best interests of the community at heart. They've lived here for years, and the paper has been in their family for years. Why would they risk their reputation or livelihood by printing gossip. If the facts aren't provable then it won't be in the paper.

It's so easy to blame the newspaper for the ills of the town. I felt they should be congratulated for never missing an issue after their building was burned down. Does anybody realize all the work that goes into getting that paper out every day? I'm sure they would be amazed, and probably a little more grateful if they did.

I haven't seen much difference in the publishers' columns over the years, but I guess if you're looking for something to gripe about, you'll find it.

Frankly, if another paper wanted to come to Anadarko, power to them. They'd find out just how difficult it is to keep one running, just like any other small business nowadays that doesn't get money from the government.

Sounds like to me some people have an axe to grind with the McBrides, and their comments are personal in nature, not community-oriented. Some times you have to consider that when reading these posts.
In closing I'll say this, the paper is a very high stress and laborious task to complete. The new building they have has been very time consuming and stressful not to mention expensive to complete. They had to learn new technologies and learn new machines in order to pick up where they left off before the fire. Back then is was 45 year old technologies.

When humans work under stress they make mistakes. They are only human. I believe in the good nature of most people, so anyone that has a beef should take it up with the Publishers of the paper after their deadline rush everyday, to voice their opinions... the paper is a community paper, but the necks of the McBrides are on the chopping block for everyone to hack at if any false info is accidentally published. Bear that in mind before blowing off at the mouth in a public forum. The McBrides are good people that work very hard, and apparently you can't please everyone!
Bewildered

Anadarko, OK

#28 Apr 22, 2012
YaB - Lets look at a few quotes.

'Frankly, the chamber of commerce doesn't do much, so there isn't anything to report'.- The PRIDE project was/ is an opportunity for the whole community to get involved in doing something positive for Anadarko. I saw an advert in the ADN week before last mentioning a trash off organized by the Delawares, but with the Chamber also backing it up, and the Kiwanis, Rotary and Lions also getting involved by clearing trash from the main routes in and out of Anadarko . I'd think those organizations working together might merit some mention and perhaps some coverage. Has the ADN even covered the PRIDE meetings held over the past 3 or 4 months?

'The paper has a policy of considering all submissions for publication pending the approval of the Editor contingent upon their legal representations advice.'- Wow! That sounds really impressive. In fact, it almost sounds like a verbatim quote. You must read the paper very, very closely!

Finally,'I felt they should be congratulated for never missing an issue after their building was burned down'.

Now that is an interesting statement. Most people would probably say 'after their building burned down'. But you choose to slip in a word to make it an active statement.

I may lead a sheltered life, but the only people I've heard mention the ADN building and arson in the same sentence....are the McBrides.

Just sayin......
Bewildered

Anadarko, OK

#29 Sep 16, 2012
Now that's interesting.

About a week ago someone started a new thread about the lack of local stories in the Daily News and the last post I saw was from someone called 'Scared of the McBrides'.

Where has the thread gone? It's not listed under Anadarko stories anymore.
Your average Bear

Lawton, OK

#30 Sep 16, 2012
I haven't seen the post you're referring to and can't comment on it.... and Scared of the McBrides? Really? A 83 year old man and his 76 year old wife in failing health and people should be afraid of them? It's my understanding that they have both been out of the "office" for nearly a year in actuality. I've never feared a name, rather I fear the person if need be... that's a weak excuse. I say grow a pair and walk into the office at 117 E. Broadway and make your complaints and point your finger... or zip it up and swallow your wishy-washy words.

Remember... the print media is a paper trail, and those published words are traceable. Each statement made is fact, and backed up or it isn't printed. The Anadarko Daily News is a PRIVATELY OWNED business just like George's Dept. Store, Dairy Freeze, or Better Spirits. Anything that goes on it there comes back on the McBride family, and they are legally accountable for it. This is why every little story submitted isn't published. If it's not properly reported, or factual, then it is omitted. If you pay for an add it relieves the McBrides of liability for the statement and can be ran. Quite simple... no where in town will you find an person who will willingly accept responsibility of another's statement. It's just not good business. You certainly wouldn't do it would you?

Local stories are published in the paper... probably just not the local stories that would benefit you or the other person complaining. I suggest that you go down and speak in person, face to face with a officer of the company and express your wishes and desires in a nice, friendly manner.. showing respect to them like you expect when others speak to you. Go down there barking orders and you'll be shown the door in short order... rightfully so! If not, you don't have the right to complain. Or you could simply open your own newspaper up... I know those people well, they would welcome the competition. But you'd better know the rules and be ready to play by them!
Bewildered

Chickasha, OK

#31 Sep 18, 2012
?

YAB - Where have you been the past 5 months?

My post above was just asking what happened to the missing thread.

But in the circumstances, seeing as you raised it.......

It would seem like you have some kind of vested interest here and its' POSSIBLE that you might too close to the issue to see what some see as the problem

For example, not only do you know that the ADN fire WAS arson, you also know the owners respective ages. How about maybe birthdays too?

Oh - and as to Scared of The McBrides (whoever they are)- I could see how they might be. For right or wrong, the owners of a newspaper in a quiet little rural town wield a great deal of power and as has been said before - are actually also responsible and accountable to their readers.

I personally have always expressed my views and requests in a 'nice friendly, polite manner' when I've been into the DN office. Fat lot of good it did me getting anything published.

Just sayin'........
Your average Bear

Lawton, OK

#32 Sep 18, 2012
I"m familiar of the workings of the newspaper or print media industry... and this knowledge has shown me in many circumstances the legal and moral ramifications of irresponsible publications. People want something in the paper and whey it can't be done due to legal issues or whatever... someone always gets mad and takes it from there.... same as this.

All I can say to that is what is the subject matter of your requested story? I think if you understand their publication guidelines, then you should also understand that possibly your story or whatever it is isn't within these parameters. Did you even bother to ask them why they won't publish it? Probably not, as do most people mad at them and busting on them... Haters are all the same. They do what they do best... when they don't get their way they hate.

Ask them at the paper office why they would choose not to print any specific article or column and I'll bet they can give you a good answer. Remember, they are under no obligation to publish anything they deem too risky...

As for your remark about me being to close to the paper to see what is going on... If you've been in the DN office, you're closer to it than I am!
Just Sayin'...
Bewildered

Anadarko, OK

#33 Sep 23, 2012
YAB - Not 'stories' per se - actually Good News - that any rational person would assume would be VERY newsworthy in a struggling rural city with little positive news to report. Yet the ADN refuses to acknowledge efforts or so, even let local residents know what is going on (which in itself only helps contribute the the general malaise seen around town).

Not surprisingly, the Lawton Constitution has printed related stories based on that Good News. Who'd have thought it - They bothered to send an actual REPORTER 40 miles - when the ADN can't be bothered to either come and talk to people or even pick up the phone. Lets' be honest, if the editors have any doubts over something - they can always ASK for further information before they publish - or decide not to publish).

I love your claim of not being 'close to the paper' but it falls fairly flat. Are you actually trying to equate the lack of physical proximity to the DN office means you are not close to the McBride family and the papers internal workings? I mean, how many people in Anadarko actually know specifics about Joe and Carolyns' ages? Not too many I'd bet.

Oh and finally - It's too easy to assume that someone who holds a different view to yours or someone you are close to, is automatically a HATER. Maybe we would just like to see things improve.
Dragonfly7137

Lawton, OK

#34 Sep 23, 2012
wishing1 wrote:
as far as the forcing everyone to have a street address. that's not from the local 911 system. this is actually a law that is under the homeland security laws.
The Homeland Security Does not have anything to do with it, by changing the addresses.
Your average Bear

United States

#35 Sep 23, 2012
Bewildered wrote:
YAB - Not 'stories' per se - actually Good News - that any rational person would assume would be VERY newsworthy in a struggling rural city with little positive news to report. Yet the ADN refuses to acknowledge efforts or so, even let local residents know what is going on (which in itself only helps contribute the the general malaise seen around town).
Not surprisingly, the Lawton Constitution has printed related stories based on that Good News. Who'd have thought it - They bothered to send an actual REPORTER 40 miles - when the ADN can't be bothered to either come and talk to people or even pick up the phone. Lets' be honest, if the editors have any doubts over something - they can always ASK for further information before they publish - or decide not to publish).
I love your claim of not being 'close to the paper' but it falls fairly flat. Are you actually trying to equate the lack of physical proximity to the DN office means you are not close to the McBride family and the papers internal workings? I mean, how many people in Anadarko actually know specifics about Joe and Carolyns' ages? Not too many I'd bet.
Oh and finally - It's too easy to assume that someone who holds a different view to yours or someone you are close to, is automatically a HATER. Maybe we would just like to see things improve.
Bewildered... I fail to see the importance of my familiarity to the Newspaper or the McBrides, why is this such an issue for you? Unless your previous position in the Town Govt. has you a bit chaffed... personally, I think anyone from Anadarko with her best interests at heart would be defensive to anyone attacking it. My term "hater" was aimed at anyone casting disparaging remarks toward our town's only newspaper, it's personalities, the town leaders or clergy. I've lived in Anadarko for all but 6 years of my life, and I know a lot about most prominent people and several average citizens... why does the fact that I know a few peoples birthdays bother you so much? I chat with friends and learn facts and town talk. If you were from here and part of Anadarko's core you'd know the same. So mind your snide insinuations... and know your facts before piping off! Once more I'll suggest that you take your disagreements to the source, instead of fishing around someone who knows not the perfect truth, or the whole facts for their publication decisions. I'm just using my intelligence and assuming their reasons. Go speak to the source to ease your nosey itch.
Bewildered

Anadarko, OK

#36 Sep 26, 2012
Your average Bear wrote:
<quoted text>
Bewildered... I fail to see the importance of my familiarity to the Newspaper or the McBrides, why is this such an issue for you? Unless your previous position in the Town Govt. has you a bit chaffed... personally, I think anyone from Anadarko with her best interests at heart would be defensive to anyone attacking it. My term "hater" was aimed at anyone casting disparaging remarks toward our town's only newspaper, it's personalities, the town leaders or clergy. I've lived in Anadarko for all but 6 years of my life, and I know a lot about most prominent people and several average citizens... why does the fact that I know a few peoples birthdays bother you so much? I chat with friends and learn facts and town talk. If you were from here and part of Anadarko's core you'd know the same. So mind your snide insinuations... and know your facts before piping off! Once more I'll suggest that you take your disagreements to the source, instead of fishing around someone who knows not the perfect truth, or the whole facts for their publication decisions. I'm just using my intelligence and assuming their reasons. Go speak to the source to ease your nosey itch.
"...previous position in the town government...." ????????? Sorry, but you clearly have me confused with someone else. Someone TOTALLY different!!!

"I think anyone from Anadarko with her best interests at heart would be defensive to anyone attacking it." .... I haven't attacked Anadarko - in my last post one of the points I am making is that positive things affecting the City should be highlighted by our local paper and not buried. When the Lawton Constitution is providing more real news about our City you have to ask questions about the standard of the local media.

"My term "hater" was aimed at anyone casting disparaging remarks toward our town's only newspaper, it's personalities,....".

Continuing the line of thought expressed in your previous point, you feel we should defend against anyone doing the City down.. and yet, are you saying that at the same time no-one is entitled to express an opinion if we feel the people from that City are getting a second class service?

The sum total of all the above is that you seem to have an ax to grind with anyone who has an opinion. Does this mean that you're all for the status quo?

So pardon me, but despite your assertions, by reading your posts and reading between the lines a little, for right or wrong, I can't help but feel you are much closer to the paper than you try to pretend. I can't prove it, but I certainly have my suspicions.

Why does that matter to me? Because clearly if I'm right, it means that you are not expressing an impartial opinion.

So.. here I am with my opinion - and there you are with yours.

We can't prove it one way or another. So rather than waste a lot of time going backwards and forwards I think that we might as well just agree to disagree.

I'd hope that what we CAN agree on is that in our own way,(putting the ADN aside) what we BOTH want is something better for Anadarko and its' residents
Your average Bear

United States

#37 Sep 26, 2012
Steve, you and Dorothea should know that airing grievances or dirty laundry on the pages of the Anadarko Daily News is not what that publication is about. That's why you're upset and you choose not to admit it. If you buy an ad they'll run whatever you wish... it relieves them of liable. The responsibility of the paper is to protect the citizens of the town against corrupt actions of the local Govt., to report goings on if possible, and share births and deaths with the "family" of the city. If you have a bone to pick with someone you'll do best by yourself to go to the source as I've said all along.
Other than Dot's personal battles against certain members of the McBride family, she is amazingly harmless in all of this. I don't know you personally, but I have nothing against you... either of you. I say do the best you can to get along in the world, make friends, not enemies and enjoy your days on this planet. Any opinion I offer on here is impartial... I owe no one anything, my allegiance is to my moral views and my families happiness. Nothing more. I'm not a trouble maker, not vindictive and don't care to be.
Your claims of my identity or proximity to that family are your making... I never said who I was or wasn't. Those were always your words. I however was smart enough to figure out who you were a long time ago... and that is the only accomplishment of this posting.

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#38 Sep 27, 2012
hahahahaha.....how moronic.
Your average Bear

United States

#39 Sep 27, 2012
How rude Dorothea...
Observer

Rush Springs, OK

#40 Dec 8, 2012
Bananner wrote:
Hi Chief. The cool part about living in Anadarko is that when you want to know something that was left out of the paper, all you gotta do is wait and the info will surface. It will come out at wal mart, bowling alley, etc. I've been wondering what happend to that girl mentioned above and I live out of town. Sure enough it appeared in this anadarko forum. The uncool part is when my business gets circulated at wal mart, bowling alley, or an internet forum. Everyone knows that gossip is full of half truths. Which bad part of town was she found in? I know of 4 bad parts of town, North, South, East, and West LOL No one should expect the paper to print something so painful and personal. Just the facts baby! The girl died and all the rest is for friends and family to know. Maybe the Daily News should move towards being like the Enquirer..printing all gossip and wild stories about last nights parties, fashion disasters at Randlett Park haha that would be some good readin...
To FUNNY & TRUE!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chickasha Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gold river (Oct '15) Jan 4 Lose lose 36
Keisha Mohr is Trash Dec 29 I Hate Keisha 3
Misty Steele Dec 28 Misty Steele is a... 1
Kayla Tapp: Horrible Mother (Apr '17) Dec 26 Ms hastings 30
Anadarko pastors murderer they know who it is (Sep '14) Dec 26 Ms hastings 7
Kathy Castro (Dec '15) Dec 26 Ms hastings 10
News Crime Expert Analyzes Clues From Anadarko Pasto... (Aug '09) Dec 22 dalsimer yidfellas 82

Chickasha Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chickasha Mortgages