First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Copper

Oak Lawn, IL

#1 Aug 3, 2007
Ridge trustee objects to employees driving vehicles home

By Meg Sullivan

A Chicago Ridge trustee wants the village to change its policy regarding municipal employees leaving town with village-owned vehicles.

Trustee Brad Grove addressed the issue at the Village Board’s meeting on July 24, saying he believes taxpayer money is being wasted by village officials who drive outside the village with their work vehicles. Grove specifically noted employees who live in other towns.

“We need to eliminate some liability,” Grove said.“I don’t think workers driving home with vehicles helps us do that. We could save insurance by pooling vehicles. We could have four vehicles available at the [police] station instead of 10 different vehicles being driven home. We could also save on the cost of fuel.”

Chicago Ridge Police Chief Tim Baldermann, who lives in New Lenox and often drives the village-owned squad car he uses home, countered it is essential for police officers and firefighters to have access to their vehicles outside Chicago Ridge to be efficient in their jobs.

“The board has the right to set policy, however, we did a survey of all surrounding towns and they all have take-home vehicles for efficiency reasons,” Baldermann said.

Baldermann said other area towns such as Worth, Oak Lawn, Hickory Hills, Palos Hills and Palos Heights all allow public employees to drive vehicles home.

“I don’t know of any local towns that don’t allow it,” he added.“I realize that Trustee Grove may be trying to look out for taxpayers in the village and I respect that, however, it won’t be in the best interest for an efficient operation for police officers.

“If I got a call at 2 a.m. and I had to report to the scene of a crime, we have lights and radio [access] in our cars,” the chief continued.“It is not efficient for officers to drive to the police station each time they get a call after-hours.”

Baldermann said another reason police officers should have access to their vehicles overnight is that 15 of the 25 Chicago Ridge police patrol and unmarked vehicles have been paid for with drug seizure money or grants they have secured through their own hard work.

“The taxpayers have not paid a cent on 60 percent of our fleet vehicles,” he said.

Chicago Ridge Mayor Eugene Siegel echoed Baldermann’s sentiment.

“I believe some of those guys it is justifiable [to take a village vehicle home] because they’re on call,” he said.“Some of these individuals, like members of the SWAT team, the canine guy, the hostage guy, they need vehicles. The Southwest Suburban Major Crime Unit, those guys are on call.”

Siegel said Grove will meet with Baldermann and Chicago Ridge Fire Chief Randy Grossi to discuss the situation, but that each employee and their respective duties would have to be evaluated.

“You can’t just blanket everyone [restricting their village vehicle use],” Siegel said.

“The reasoning I’m getting from the department heads is that they need vehicles in order to be able to provide mutual aid,” Grove said.“What drives me crazy is that the unions are getting the best of both worlds because [employees] don’t have to live in town. We shouldn’t have to provide a car for them.”

Grove said the village passed an ordinance a few months ago requiring newly-appointed department heads to live in town within 12 months of being appointed, but that Chicago Ridge can never require police officers and firefighters to live in the village because of mutual aid agreements with other area police and fire departments and fire protection districts.

“I think once Brad sits down with [Baldermann and Grossi] he’ll understand why,” Siegel said.

Trustee Bruce Quintos said he understands Grove wants accountability from village officials.

Quintos said each department should be evaluated because in some cases it is essential for employees to take vehicles home
Ridge Rat

Oak Lawn, IL

#2 Aug 3, 2007
I don't see why brad is all of a sudden agenst people taking cars home. He never had a problem with it when his buddy scott fulwieler was a deputy chief and took his car to brads bar all the time. Something isn't adding up. Could this be the beginning of trying to force Tim out to get a certian detective in as the next Chief?
Just Asking

Oak Lawn, IL

#3 Aug 4, 2007
What is the saying? People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks or something like that? Just because you are a white trash and like it you want everyone to be a white trash? Be careful when the rats who escaped and did better throw back.
Ms Union

Oak Lawn, IL

#4 Aug 4, 2007
Hey Grove, when did you become so anti-union? This is a union town. You make a nice living on the backs of union labor. You never told us that we made you crazy before and that you held a grudge like that. Have a nice day, the storm clouds are gathering.
Another Resident

Oak Lawn, IL

#5 Aug 4, 2007
How can you be looking out for the best interests of the residents when you are wrecking the morale of the public employees? Particularly the Police and Fire Departments.Enough of the bullying. Go pound some rocks, prima donna brickee.
Rumors

Chicago, IL

#6 Aug 4, 2007
Is it true that Brad G and Mikey D on the down low with each other? Just asking.
Question

AOL

#7 Aug 5, 2007
Why doesn't Chicago Ridge just require their police officers to live in or closer to Chicago Ridge? If your chief lives so far away, by the time he gets to Chicago Ridge on an emergency, it will be over. Does it happen very often a police officer not on duty but living outside of Chicago Ridge has to race with emergency lights on back into town? I don't remember Chicago Ridge being a high crime area - what emergencies can't your police officers on duty handle?

Also, I do believe another one of your officers lives in New Lenox and is a school board member in New Lenox.

I hear numerous Chicago Ridge vehicles were at a mayoral fundraiser for Baldermann at a bar/restaurant in New Lenox this past spring.

What is the requirement in New Lenox for the police officers and chief there? Can they live outside the villits and use village vehicles?
Question

AOL

#8 Aug 5, 2007
villits? I meant village limits ....
Question

AOL

#9 Aug 5, 2007
One more question - if CRPD has to have this arrangement, why not get cheaper vehicles? And check the mileage so the vehicles are not being used for personal use all the time.
ridgeraff

Chicago, IL

#10 Aug 5, 2007
More questions. How many times is the CRPD going to change the paint schemes on it squad cars? I see at least 4 variations. Also why do they need all those SUVS? This costs $$$$$
Question

AOL

#11 Aug 5, 2007
ridgeraff wrote:
More questions. How many times is the CRPD going to change the paint schemes on it squad cars? I see at least 4 variations. Also why do they need all those SUVS? This costs $$$$$
Good question - what does the chief drive? I recall it being quiet an expensive SUV
Question

AOL

#12 Aug 5, 2007
sheesh - "quite"
taxpayer too

Chicago, IL

#13 Aug 5, 2007
ridgeraff wrote:
I agree, what is the point of using those large SUV's anyway? You never see more than one person in them and all that gas, driving around and around!
And yes, what colors are the cars anyway? Some are black, some black and white, still trying to decide or what?
Carol

Chicago, IL

#14 Aug 5, 2007
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
Good question - what does the chief drive? I recall it being quiet an expensive SUV
Maybe needs it for the large family he has!
Ridge Rat

Oak Lawn, IL

#15 Aug 5, 2007
Chief balderman drives a dodge darango. I wouldnt quite call it expensive like the lincon navagators or ford exp. O well hes a police chief he deserves it.
Question

AOL

#16 Aug 5, 2007
Does anyone know if the New Lenox officers have village paid vehicles? I wonder if they can live an hour away from the village too.

BTW, what does being a police chief have to do with getting a taxpayer paid vehicle?
Another Resident

Oak Lawn, IL

#17 Aug 5, 2007
Question wrote:
Does anyone know if the New Lenox officers have village paid vehicles? I wonder if they can live an hour away from the village too.
BTW, what does being a police chief have to do with getting a taxpayer paid vehicle?
There is a New Lenox blog where one of the experts on those facts might be able to help you. Police chiefs almost always negotiate terms of their compensation packages with the municipality. Cars are fringe benefits.
Another Resident

Oak Lawn, IL

#18 Aug 5, 2007
Question wrote:
sheesh - "quite"
You'll probably find that the vehicle the Chicago Ridge Chief's car was purchased with funds obtained from seized property from dealer arrests. In other words not the vehicle was not "quite expensive" it was almost free to the village. There is a big difference.
Ridge Resident

Oak Lawn, IL

#19 Aug 5, 2007
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe needs it for the large family he has!
That is a cheap shot Carol. Save that one for your neighbors in New Lenox. The Chiefs car is for business use.
Ridge Resident

Oak Lawn, IL

#20 Aug 5, 2007
Question wrote:
Why doesn't Chicago Ridge just require their police officers to live in or closer to Chicago Ridge? If your chief lives so far away, by the time he gets to Chicago Ridge on an emergency, it will be over. Does it happen very often a police officer not on duty but living outside of Chicago Ridge has to race with emergency lights on back into town? I don't remember Chicago Ridge being a high crime area - what emergencies can't your police officers on duty handle?
Also, I do believe another one of your officers lives in New Lenox and is a school board member in New Lenox.
I hear numerous Chicago Ridge vehicles were at a mayoral fundraiser for Baldermann at a bar/restaurant in New Lenox this past spring.
What is the requirement in New Lenox for the police officers and chief there? Can they live outside the villits and use village vehicles?
The Mayor of Chicago Ridge, Gene Siegel was at the Fundraiser in question also. He gave a glowing speech about the great job the Chief does in Chicago Ridge and about how he looks like a star because of Tim's work. And he was not the least bit worried about the squads that were there. Drop it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Ridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Edward Moody (Jul '12) 5 hr Wondering 102
Chicago Ridge real estate tax bills 6 hr Pal 15
Ed and ( or was it ) Fred? 10 hr True Blue Ridge R... 1
Ridge Fest 2015 Mon Wondering 1
Why did the Village Board vote to support Doubl... (Aug '14) Sun Wonder 10
Moody and the Flag Code Jul 22 Loyal Scout 7
Pull your pants up or you will be fined. Jul 22 gxm24263 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Ridge Mortgages