City's bike messengers ride a fine li...

City's bike messengers ride a fine line when on the job

There are 11 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 8, 2008, titled City's bike messengers ride a fine line when on the job. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

They are the road warriors of Chicago streets. Bike messengers slice through traffic, clashing with drivers, battling buses and dodging pedestrians who dare cross their path.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

juvi

Austin, TX

#1 Jul 8, 2008
Just look at the photo..what a nutbar, NO HELMET?!? I am an avid cyclist, but even I think these guys are dangerous. I have been hit by one while crossing the street (with the light, I might add). I have NO sympathy for any of them that get nailed.
No TwoWheelers

Lostant, IL

#2 Jul 8, 2008
The majority of the bicyclist I have encountered DO NOT follow the rules of the road.

Just yesterday, This lady rode through a stop sign. What if I thought she was going to stop and I proceeded. I could have hit her.

Police needs to ticket these bicyclist too.
DBX

Lake Zurich, IL

#4 Jul 8, 2008
As sketchy as they can be, they're better as in safer than many other Chicago cyclists, they're actually quite predictable, they do not ride recklessly fast at work, and they are positively tame compared to bike messengers on the east coast. The only criminally insane piece of behavior I've seen from Chicago bike messengers is the alleycat Tour-da-Chicago, which they really should stop doing.
Uncat

Franklin Park, IL

#5 Jul 8, 2008
Just because someone's silly enough to not wear a helmet doesn't mean they deserve to get doored. It really frightens me how unaware most drivers are, given the potential consequences of their actions. If my bike bumps someone's car, I might scratch their paint. If they bump into me at the same velocity, they'll probably break my leg. The only ones who seem to realize this are the bus drivers and other professional drivers.
DBX

Lake Zurich, IL

#6 Jul 8, 2008
No TwoWheelers wrote:
The majority of the bicyclist I have encountered DO NOT follow the rules of the road.
Just yesterday, This lady rode through a stop sign. What if I thought she was going to stop and I proceeded. I could have hit her.
Absolutely right. Before Chicago starts picking on messengers, they need to do something about regular cyclists who I've seen riding the wrong way on a narrow one way street, at night, with no lights, no helmet, and talking on a cell phone -- simultaneously.
brian

Robbins, IL

#7 Jul 8, 2008
No TwoWheelers wrote:
I drive in a big SUV and I also ride a bike. In both vehicles I break the law in numerous ways (rolling stops for example in the car, not stopping at all on the bike). Just throw me in jail, I broke the law.

One side of the argument is not better than the other. Both sides can suck equally.
brian

Robbins, IL

#8 Jul 8, 2008
Also, drivers just need to read up on the rules of the road. If I take the lane, don't honk at me and ride my ass. Realize what is going on - I'm often doing it to save my life and to save you from jail time.
RomanB

United States

#9 Jul 8, 2008
The worst offenders are still the cell phone/earbud walkers who are oblivious to everything around them. Saw a woman pedestrain miss the light change in the middle of the intersection & came thisclose to getting hit by a 30mph taxi last week. Too busy with the ipod, didn't hear the horn, didn't even blink.
No Cars

Robbins, IL

#10 Jul 8, 2008
The majority of drivers I have encountered DO NOT follow the rules of the road.

Just yesterday, This lady drove through a stop sign. What if I thought she was going to stop and I proceeded. I could have been hit by her.

Police needs to ticket these drivers too.
juvi

Austin, TX

#11 Jul 8, 2008
Uncat wrote:
Just because someone's silly enough to not wear a helmet doesn't mean they deserve to get doored. It really frightens me how unaware most drivers are, given the potential consequences of their actions. If my bike bumps someone's car, I might scratch their paint. If they bump into me at the same velocity, they'll probably break my leg. The only ones who seem to realize this are the bus drivers and other professional drivers.
No, of course not, but if they do and end up with a head injury, that's where my sympathies end. It's like a smoker getting lung cancer and wanting everyone to feel sorry for them...HELLO!
Mark Joseph

United States

#12 Jul 8, 2008
Aw--we should all feel so sorry for the bike messengers. Well I for one think they are a bunch of arrogant, aggressive jerks! Since when are these people above the law? They zoom the wrong way on one-way street, sneak up on your "blind-side" and give you the finger as they go by. Why should it matter whether a pedestrian is on their cel phone? When did the pedestrian NOT have the right of way? Frankly, I'm surprised more of them have not been killed by either a car or an irate pedestrian. I also think that when there is an accident involving one of these messengers, that the driver of the car or the poor hapless pedestrian should sue the 'H' out of the messenger service. Perhaps then the "managers" would be less obnoxious.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wicker Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News For decades, pan pizza has defined Chicago. Now... (Dec '07) 12 hr Dcasey 76
News Morning Spin: Preckwinkle says she'll run for r... May 23 Yes But 2
Looking for House sitting position Apr '17 debbie 1
News An LGBT Tour Of The Great Lakes (Aug '15) Apr '17 watching livonia 12
News Bike law enforcement in Chicago: uneven and unfair Mar '17 vinate66 1
News Illinois Congressman Handcuffed After Refusing ... Mar '17 valerie 43
News Honeygrow, Another Fast-Casual Salad Chain, To ... Mar '17 jimmy johnson 2

Wicker Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wicker Park Mortgages