Shepard Fairey

There are 7 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 9, 2009, titled Shepard Fairey. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

A few hours before his street cred would be brusquely returned to him, a few days before his outlaw status would be cemented by his arrest, the artist Shepard Fairey, best known for the Obama "Hope" posters ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Merilee

New York, NY

#1 Feb 9, 2009
Fairey, who is trying to preempt a lawsuit by the AP over the use of the photograph that inspired this image, shouldn't be too worried. If he has good lawyers, they will be able to find several images of Obama on the Internet that are similar to the one take by Garcia, and he can claim that his picture was an amalgam of all those photos and, therefore, none of them (not one of them alone). If there was a hunt for the photo, as the NYT suggests there way, then clearly there are tons of images of Obama that resemble his HOPE piece. Fair Use can be proven easily.
Merilee

New York, NY

#2 Feb 9, 2009
(In the above comment, "take" should be "taken" and "way" should be "was."
Art Kitty

Buena Park, CA

#3 Feb 15, 2009
Almost single-handedly, Fairey has reduced a rich and powerful history of socially-conscious art to the lowest common denominator. He symbolizes what is wrong with the art world and capitalism: he takes something of value, something beautiful and complex, and reduces it to the simplest, most easily digestible form of advertising: the brand. Fairey has branded himself, "political" art, "punk rock" and even the president of the United States.
Even though his work is unoriginal, redundant and shallow, the gallery and museum system doesn't care; they only see dollar signs. He preys on working artists, enriching himself while exploiting workers and artists as subject matter. From his hypocritical high horse, he has the nerve to preach to us about the dangers of capitalism, all the while using the system to his advantage. He has turned a subversive and political movement into just another fashion statement. Unfortunately, a sea of commercial artists and Hollywood Hipsters idolize him. They secretly dream of being rich and powerful also (despite their claims of being evolved), and Fairey gives them hope, proving that any hack with no talent can be an "art star".
Art Kitty

Buena Park, CA

#4 Feb 15, 2009
Not only does he steal his subject matter and imagery from working artists and indigenous peoples, but he rarely makes his work himself. He is the Andy Warhol of our time; he has a factory of artists producing his work for him, everything from layout to printing to collage. He has stolen from the Black Panther movement, Vietnam political posters, Russian propaganda, punk rock and heavy metal. Some may call this appropriation, but there is a line between appropriation and stealing. Fairey has crossed this line many times (for a more detailed argument of this, please refer to the article "Obey Plagiarist Shepard Fairey" by Mark Vallen.) As an artist friend of mine once said, "Imitation is the sincerest form of unoriginality."
As for Fairey's claims that his posters, especially Andre the Giant, are about "phenomenology" or something deeper,(even IF this were true) this does not justify exploiting people. The truth is that he saw a picture of Andre the Giant in a skateboarding magazine and thought it was "cool," so he traced it and ripped off some type from Barbara Kreuger and made stickers and posters for his friends to put up. All his contrived justifications prove is that going to R.I.S.D. and private art schools all of his life really paid off. He can talk art speak, even if he is not sure what it means. The truth is that Andre the Giant never made us think or question anything other than, "What the hell is he trying to say?"
Fairey's defensiveness about the unoriginality of his work comes out in almost every interview and artists statement he has ever done. One of my favorite quotes (and there are many), is "I know Chuck D. and if anyone is a radical, it's him." Yeah, so? By that logic, you are as much a black man as you are a radical, my friend. Another fact that Fairey loves to bring up is how he has been arrested. What political street or graffiti artist hasn't? I bet being a rich white boy helped you out of that mess. Good thing for you; there are a lot of artists who aren't so lucky
Art Kitty

Buena Park, CA

#5 Feb 15, 2009
"I think that the art experience is to raise someone's consciousness, and at the end of the day the Shepard Fairey experience is to promote the brand of Shepard Fairey as a corporate entity, so I don't consider it art. He is about the furthest thing from art there is."
Mat Gleason
"It’s a dangerous example for students, if they see that appropriating people’s work is the path to success. Simply reproducing the work of others robs you of your imagination and form-making abilities."
Milton Glaser
Art Kitty

Buena Park, CA

#6 Feb 15, 2009
Shepard Fairey OBEY Dollar

Saturday, February 14, 2009 by realmz1

I recently bought this off a member of message board I frequent. I thought it looked pretty cool and the boardie even threw in some dope stickers. If anyone out then can educate me on this dollar it would be appreciated,as I have looked and couldn’t come up with much.

Obey Dollar

Obey Dollar

Obey Dollar

Possibly related posts:(automatically generated)

* The Shepard Fairey Fairy Visits PVD
* Rips on Shepard Fairey’s Obama posters and stickers
* Street artist’s star rises with Obama portrait
* Obama ’Hope’ Artist Sues AP In Copyright Flap

Posted in life | Tagged andre the giant, art, collector, designer, dollar, fairey, gallery, limited, low brow, obey, originator, rare, shepard, stickers, wheat paste | No Comments
No Responses to “Shepard Fairey OBEY Dollar”

on Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 3:18 pm art kitty
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Fairey has reduced a rich and powerful history of socially-conscious art to the lowest common denominator. He symbolizes what is wrong with the art world and capitalism: he takes something of value, something beautiful and complex, and reduces it to the simplest, most easily digestible form of advertising: the brand. Fairey has branded himself,“political” art,“punk rock” and even the president of the United States.
Even though his work is unoriginal, redundant and shallow, the gallery and museum system doesn’t care; they only see dollar signs. He preys on working artists, enriching himself while exploiting workers and artists as subject matter. From his hypocritical high horse, he has the nerve to preach to us about the dangers of capitalism, all the while using the system to his advantage. He has turned a subversive and political movement into just another fashion statement. Unfortunately, a sea of commercial artists and Hollywood Hipsters idolize him. They secretly dream of being rich and powerful also (despite their claims of being evolved), and Fairey gives them hope, proving that any hack with no talent can be an “art star”.
Not only does he steal his subject matter and imagery from working artists and indigenous peoples, but he rarely makes his work himself. He is the Andy Warhol of our time; he has a factory of artists producing his work for him, everything from layout to printing to collage. He has stolen from the Black Panther movement, Vietnam political posters, Russian propaganda, punk rock and heavy metal. Some may call this appropriation, but there is a line between appropriation and stealing. Fairey has crossed this line many times (for a more detailed argument of this, please refer to the article “Obey Plagiarist Shepard Fairey” by Mark Vallen.) As an artist friend of mine once said,“Imitation is the sincerest form of unoriginality.”

http://www.art-for-a-change.com/Obey/index.ht...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusett...

http://www.printmag.com/design_articles/Milto...

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_o...
doreen

Louisville, KY

#7 Feb 25, 2009
As a graphic designer, I am ashamed of the artist for not getting permission to use the photograph for reference. Photographers should be respected as any other artist. And in most cased, if you just ask the photographer out of respect, they may even give you permission for just a mere credit line. Even if you have to pay a small fee, it is worth it to acknowledge the photographer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wicker Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Photos: A Look Back At Hugh Hefner's Playboy Ro... Oct 3 Trump win 2020 6
saint clair meow meows. omg this morning i saw ... Sep 28 e unter 2
caserollin yet? are we? :P Sep 26 kissing ground sa... 1
back to professionalism on saturday 930. thank ... Sep 22 im sorry god 1
so what's streeterville? is that a place where ... Sep '17 cia jami rose 141... 1
News Midwest travel: Chicago Children's Museum gets ... Aug '17 Real Faxt 1
News Emanuel's 'people plazas' program struggling to... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Rep Denny Hasturd 1

Wicker Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wicker Park Mortgages