Where there's smoke ... not so much fire

Where there's smoke ... not so much fire

There are 106 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 4, 2008, titled Where there's smoke ... not so much fire. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Near the intersection of Division and Damen Avenues, where the sidewalks are wide and the nightspots are plentiful, a bank sign flashes the 27-degree temperature on a recent Saturday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

“<insert witty comment here>”

Since: Jul 07

Lake In The Hills, IL

#122 Mar 8, 2008
I am a runner wrote:
Oh no no, the initial "are you a smoker" question was asked when the spot was first discovered... she wanted my "health" history to gauge the likelihood of a malignancy. She was nervous herself until I said "no" then she breathed a sigh of relief and told me I sounded really healthy and shouldn't lose sleep over it. She said "if you had been smoking for the last 15 years I'd be really worried right now."
She then ran me through every test possible until we figured out what it was and how to solve the pain.
From that moment in her office, I've not had one cigarette... oh, don't get me wrong, I've had the occasional hookah and um, "other" means of smoking, but only once in a great while. Thankfully, I was never all that into smoking (anything).
Still, I can't imagine how hard it must be to quit.
<quoted text>
You do realize that hookah and "other" smoking materials contain much more concentrated toxins at much higher levels than tobacco, right? One, um, "twister" has the same level as a whole pack of cigarettes, ya know. So it's not exactly like you're not smoking. You're just doing it in more concentrated levels. I used to do that when I was younger, could roll 'em up to look just like cigarettes and everything, so I'm not judging. Just sayin', that's all...
I am a runner

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#123 Mar 8, 2008
I know... which is why I don't say, "I'm not a smoker" or pull the whole judgment thing.

But at the same time, smoking a hookah once or twice a year hardly equates smoking several cigarettes a day, even though hookahs are generally considered much worst than cigs.

Like I said, I'm an avid runner but I enjoy the occasional drink and puff as much as the next guy. I like socializing, but I also like being able to take off and run a 10 miler the next morning...

Everything in moderation!
nova0311 wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that hookah and "other" smoking materials contain much more concentrated toxins at much higher levels than tobacco, right? One, um, "twister" has the same level as a whole pack of cigarettes, ya know. So it's not exactly like you're not smoking. You're just doing it in more concentrated levels. I used to do that when I was younger, could roll 'em up to look just like cigarettes and everything, so I'm not judging. Just sayin', that's all...

“<insert witty comment here>”

Since: Jul 07

Lake In The Hills, IL

#124 Mar 8, 2008
I am a runner wrote:
I know... which is why I don't say, "I'm not a smoker" or pull the whole judgment thing.
But at the same time, smoking a hookah once or twice a year hardly equates smoking several cigarettes a day, even though hookahs are generally considered much worst than cigs.
Like I said, I'm an avid runner but I enjoy the occasional drink and puff as much as the next guy. I like socializing, but I also like being able to take off and run a 10 miler the next morning...
Everything in moderation!
<quoted text>
You should be fine, then. As long as you're only doing when you "want" to, instead of "needing" to, you're OK...
pillsnsmokefree

Bybee, TN

#125 Mar 8, 2008
As smoking dope is an illegal substance, there is a "whole judgment thing" that goes with smoking dope.

Also the radiologist would have known you smoked(not what) and it would have been on the report.

It is best to tell it all because there is a saying of liars and felons do flock together.
Jimmy

Union, KY

#126 Mar 8, 2008
just candid wrote:
<quoted text> Some smokers on this forum use the word Nazi so often when talking about non-smokers, that it makes me belive they have some deep latent fixation with the word.

And what words are SOME non-smokers using on this forum,in reference to smokers?????????? How about;un-educated,morons,retar ded,scum,filthy pigs,addicts,slobs,a$$holes,ig norant,worthless,and on and on and.....Correct me if I am wrong.N on-smokers seem to throw around personal insult and juvunile name calling the way primates fling feces at each other at a zoo.I will bet that STATISTIS would prove this to be true. What does that say about non-smokers on this forum?
Jimmy

Union, KY

#127 Mar 8, 2008

Sorry,my computer just went whack?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wicker Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chicago's lame winter - is Canada to blame? Jan 18 maybe 1
News Chicago immigration rally has message for Trump... Jan 16 spud 9
News Step inside - and back in time - at new Wicker ... Nov '16 chad hatten 3 1
News Rahm promises that Chicago will remain a 'sanct... Nov '16 ky man 31
News Chicago police arrest suspect in dismembered to... Nov '16 former democrat 1
News CPS reverses decision about PARCC exam Nov '16 MichaelNorway 4
News Unsafe construction zones and trashed bike lane... Aug '16 Lance Strongarm 2

Wicker Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wicker Park Mortgages