Where there's smoke ... not so much fire

Where there's smoke ... not so much fire

There are 106 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 4, 2008, titled Where there's smoke ... not so much fire. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Near the intersection of Division and Damen Avenues, where the sidewalks are wide and the nightspots are plentiful, a bank sign flashes the 27-degree temperature on a recent Saturday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Danno

Glenview Nas, IL

#1 Mar 6, 2008
The Department of Public Health has been too slow in developing regulations and helpful hints to accommodate smoking outdoors. Bars do not know how far they can go in providing areas for smokers outside, such as providing heat and other amenities.

The smoking ban cannot extend to the outdoors. This is the teaching of the Illinois Supreme Court's decision in City of Zion v. Behrens. It is time for the Department to recognize this decision and formulate guidance to facilitate smoking outdoors, rather than seeming to take the attitude that the only solution is to stop smoking. Any such attitude is an attempt to regulate private conduct by smokers and would be in violation of the supreme court's decision.
Pelon

Springfield, IL

#2 Mar 6, 2008
Take a hint already and quit smoking!
just candid

AOL

#3 Mar 6, 2008
There should be no smoking on public sidewalks, or in any public parks.
memories of

New York, NY

#5 Mar 6, 2008
Smoking is a thing of the past. My new beliefs are and those of most medical professionals...workers at hospitals should not smoke.

It is a total team effort to keep the hospital clean and efficiently ran. Hospitals are too large for someone to just step outside to smoke...total waste of time. Patients wonder at times...were is the nurse ...I am in pain...in reality...he or she is out back catching a smoke...not good and can't be clean.

And how does it look to have a nurse...let alone a doctor smoking out front or in front of the patients and the worried family of a patient who has been hospitalized for any reason...let alone respiratory conditions?
Danno

United States

#6 Mar 6, 2008
In the City of Zion v. Behrens case, the ban extended to smoking on sidewalks, streets, and public parks. This was among other things what the Illinois Supreme Court said was unconstitutional.
Bob

Denver, CO

#7 Mar 6, 2008
It's nice to be able to mingle with people without even being a customer. The best way to meet girls under 21 since the drinking age for ladies was raised from 18 to 21.
Glitch

Rolling Meadows, IL

#8 Mar 6, 2008
So, just like the many cities and states that came before us, it really isn't that big a deal here either, just like all the ban proponents have said all along.

Surprise!
hank getto bar

Algonquin, IL

#9 Mar 6, 2008
Really cool. now us smokers don't watch the commercials on TV we all go out for a smoke. and that just burns the non-smokers up they come out with us. Hockey games are enjoyable to watch on their large HD screens I could get into the game their intermissions are long enough to smoke 2 cigarettes. GO BLACKHAWKS.
just candid

AOL

#11 Mar 6, 2008
It's not a biggie outside to step, when on your ciggie you wish to puff. PS, Please show some personal and civic pride, don't just chuck you used ciggie butts when you are done, Thanks.
jennifer

Carmel, IN

#12 Mar 6, 2008
There is a bar in the middle of my block. 15 feet from the door, means they smoke on the neighbors lawn. The parkway has become a giant ashtray, despite the fact that there is a container for butts. This can not be good for the environment. The smell generated from the stale wet butts is disgusting.

“Fredneck County Md”

Since: Feb 08

Small Town

#13 Mar 6, 2008
Pelon wrote:
Take a hint already and quit smoking!
Have a cigarette already and quit hinting.
Danno

United States

#17 Mar 6, 2008
The city beach smoking ban needs to be challenged under the decision in City of Zion v. Behrens. If anyone is ticketed for a violation of that rule, fight it!
Bob Knight

Wilmington, NC

#18 Mar 6, 2008
jennifer wrote:
There is a bar in the middle of my block. 15 feet from the door, means they smoke on the neighbors lawn. The parkway has become a giant ashtray, despite the fact that there is a container for butts. This can not be good for the environment. The smell generated from the stale wet butts is disgusting.
Alright, everyone hear Jennifer? Time to go inside and smoke so we won't offend her.
lucky77

Pleasanton, CA

#19 Mar 6, 2008
just candid wrote:
It's not a biggie outside to step, when on your ciggie you wish to puff. PS, Please show some personal and civic pride, don't just chuck you used ciggie butts when you are done, Thanks.
I was sitting in a restaurant on Fullerton and was watching a guy who got out of a fire dept. SUV.(I was bored and waiting for food) He stepped out of the vehicle and promptly threw the butt of his lit cigarette on the street. There's something really wrong about a firefighter throwing around lit cigarettes.
Ubu Roi

Wood Dale, IL

#22 Mar 6, 2008
So Eric Jennings is saying that ostracism is kind of nice? More fine use of the English language!
just candid

AOL

#23 Mar 6, 2008
In todays world only the backward and slow to learn still smoke. Smoking is no longer thought of as cool or'kool', just something still done by dum dums.
Matt

Springfield, IL

#25 Mar 6, 2008
Of course the one downside of the smoking ban is that cigarette butts litter the streets outside of many bars now. When the snow melted outside a local watering hole this week, left behind were at least 200 butts strewn over the sidewalk...it was disgusting and I felt embarrassed to see this in my own neighborhood. I hope bar & restaurant owners will take steps to provide those butt disposal posts you find outside of office buildings.
Ruth

United States

#26 Mar 6, 2008
Put it on a ballot and let the public vote on it.

This is a government of the people, by the people, and for the people. Our legislators are no more than our hired employees. We pay their salaries. They are not our nannies nor our rulers... They have no right to make laws that involve our private properties nor our rights to "Due Process of Law.
This is the land of the free, so let freedom and capitalism work... If there is a demand for smoke free areas, the market will create them, so let freedom take it's course, and get government back out of our small businesses and our private lives.
Sheila

Chicago, IL

#29 Mar 6, 2008
except that from a few bars I've been in lately, they say business is down at least 75%. All the smokers are taking turns in their own homes drinkin' and smokin' - no more bars to socialize in.
Dood60

Chicago, IL

#31 Mar 6, 2008
I just quit going to bars. Saving alot of cash, for what you pay for a beer at a Chicago bar makes sense to just skip it and have a smoke on the way to the liquor store!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wicker Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chicago police arrest suspect in dismembered to... (Nov '16) May 6 new bee 2
News Is Chicago bike-friendly? (Sep '07) Apr 20 Cyclist 77
News Emanuel's 'people plazas' program struggling to... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Rep Denny Hasturd 1
News Step inside - and back in time - at new Wicker ... (Nov '16) Nov '16 chad hatten 3 1
News CPS reverses decision about PARCC exam (Oct '16) Nov '16 MichaelNorway 4
News Unsafe construction zones and trashed bike lane... (Aug '16) Aug '16 Lance Strongarm 2
News Chicago property tax bill double whammy: Increa... (Aug '16) Aug '16 bozo 1

Wicker Park Jobs

Personal Finance

Wicker Park Mortgages